The Future of Chiang Mai

watgate

Every country has a**holes citizens who give the country a bad name when they go abroad. Recently there were 2 separate incidents of farang tourists taking nude pictures at Angkor Wat. wai2.gif

What's wrong with being nude. Its the way you are born. Bad Behaviour is the problem.

No one would be at all offended if you took your clothes off in Westminster Abbey.

• Like 1

Yes, I see them taking over CM as you describe.

And that's just the start. They are all over the world doing the same thing.

My advice to young people is to learn to say "Yes, boss" in Mandarin.

We farangs in CM do not need to learn any more about the Thai culture. We need to learn about the Chinese culture instead.

Wai-ing is history; spitting and yelling is the future.

So all Chinese spit & yell do they?

Yes pretty much. Of course not all but as a people spitting is very common and a wide spread practice in all levels of Chinese society. Speaking in a very loud voice in general conversation is also very common.

The city's infrastructure will need to be addressed before Chiang Mai grows much further, regardless of who is doing it... There are times when traffic around the moat is pretty much at the saturation point...

How very true! Try coming into the city for dinner out at around 6pm.

Some one needs to explain to the Regional or National Government, the magic words T.O.W.N. P.L.A.N.N.E.R.

We have in Chiang Mai the nation's second largest city, possibly the most interesting, not a park in sight, footpaths breaking up, and these almost totally blocked with motor bikes in some areas, as there is no provision for parking. As far as people are concerned, there are only two controlled zebra crossings in the old city that I can think of, a few hundred metres from Thae Pae Gate. There are a few uncontrolled crossings such as trying to gain access to MAYA where you stand a good chance of being knocked over by those running the red lights.

Condominiums/apartment blocks are coming up like hairs on a dog's back all around the city. I can count six under construction within 500 metres of my condo, and one about to start outside my window. East of Nimman seems to be one big building site.

This means a lot more vehicles on the road, possibly even more pedestrians, certainly a few thousand more motor bikes. The expat population has doubled in the past two or three years according to the Immigration Dept. I doubt very much there are census figures showing Thai population increases.

While the focus appears to be on cleaning up corruption, beaches and crime in southern provinces, why do I get the feeling that we're the Cinderella Province?

Satellite cities with good zoning, shopping centres, restaurants, mini-markets, adequate transport, (NOT tuk-tuks and Song Teaws!) good planning, pools and parks would encourage a population shift out of the city centre. Increased business opportunities will keep people employed there and no need for commuting.

There are so many possibilities while there is vacant land on the outskirts of the city, yet everything seems to just bumble along.

• Like 2

I have lived in a number of Chinese cities on and off for the last 20 years. Recently I had two people I work with ask me about buying property and moving to Thailand, specifically Chiang Mai. One reason given for the move was that the cost of property in China is so high that they are looking at an affordable alternative for retirement years, not such a surprise because many Westerners have the same motivation. The other reason given to me was because they find life in China so brutal and hard that they want to live in a place where they can escape their own society. I personally know a number of well off Chinese couples who have left their homes in China because they want a better life for their children. By that they want them to be able to have a childhood without the social stress that is placed on kids at a very young age.

For me once the Chinese invasion happens I'll stop my visits to Thailand and find somewhere else to chill out. For me China is a place that I go to work in and make lots of money, it's not a place that I think about staying in any longer than I have to. If China moves to Chiang Mai the relaxed charm of the place will be destroyed.

• Like 2

We will be (are) seeing more blue plate, left drive cars ...so traffic is getting "interesting".

The cars are far better behaved than the Chinese on motorbikes and push bikes. I am amazed at how many of them seem to think that it's ok to ride on the wrong side of the road straight into oncoming traffic. And how many of them just wander out onto the roads on foot without looking. I mean the Thais are pretty bad at road-sense but the Chinese are far worse.

Folks I have spoken to are saying maybe it is time to find another place to go to such as Cambodia, Phillipines, Laos, etc. They are saying once the Chinese target an area like in Vancouver or even in Australia, where Chinese developers were building high rise complexes primarily for their countrymen, they were forcing native Australian residents to relocate due to the high costs to live there.Finally the Australian govenment intervened but not untill a lot of Aussies were displaced. I can see Chiang Mai eventually overrun by the Chinese who have decided to live here to escape the miserable conditions in China, described by previous posters. The other question is since the infrastructure in Chiang Mai and also in Bangkok is almost at its limits, there is talk about raising prices significantly to appeal to a wealthier class and to weed out the undesireables. I wonder if Chiang Mai is going to become another Bangkok?

I wish for the future that there are more trees are planted and all those ugly billboards disappear.

Nice wish but expect the opposite. sad.png

In some states in Australia, bill boards are not permitted, and even large signs in the street are not welcome.

Heard Australia had elected officials. those folks make the rules as the people want them. i notice some cig smokers in restaurants/bars here in CM. in many places with democratic rule, 'no smoking' in rests/bars, coz the general pop wants food/beer without the awful smoke and bad odor. in authoritarian societies, like china and here, the general pop has no say in rules made by the officials so the laws really only benefit the lawmakers, generally to enhance own bank account.

education helps too as folks learn the merit/demerit of permitted behaviour, eg, the LED signboards on every big corner. how about some vehicle emission control laws here , wouldn't that be nice?

For me China is a place that I go to work in and make lots of money, it's not a place that I think about staying in any longer than I have to. If China moves to Chiang Mai the relaxed charm of the place will be destroyed. Quote from Saroq

I am in the same boat, sentenced by my Thai wife to 2 more years of hard labour in Beijing earning good money. Our home is on the outskirts of Chiang Mai so in the burbs without too many Chinese tourists. If it gets bad, we will move up to the peace and quiet of my wife's little village in the hills.....whistling.gif

More Chinese in Chiang Mai or more Chinese all over the world (just watch out Britain)

they are using Golden Visas to enter EU countries then hop freely to the UK.

In Thailand,, they will grow in numbers it had been noticed years ago and the trend is

continuing,, foreigners can not own land in Thailand -FACT

Chinese need more farmland to grow (aquire) more rice to feed the nation:

therefore Chinese men + Thai lady = land to grow rice

Who said Thailand is the only country in the world that has never been colonized,

new rules, you will be colonized and your country like your women will be raped.

Considering that we are (nearly) all visitors in a foreign land, there is surprisingly little tolerance and understanding of "other" cultures here on Thai Visa.

Sounds like you haven't spent much time in the inner city in the last two years.

Like every other race, there are good Chinese and bad Chinese. I've experienced both. The good was a guy I used to work with who told me I had my head up my arse so politely I burst out laughing. The bad was another person working for me who used racism as a cop-out for his poor performance.

Chiang Mai is a long way from Bangkok in terms of Chinese influence - remember, Thaksin is Chinese descent, and this is where Thaksin's power base is.

Heard Australia had elected officials. those folks make the rules as the people want them. i notice some cig smokers in restaurants/bars here in CM. in many places with democratic rule, 'no smoking' in rests/bars, coz the general pop wants food/beer without the awful smoke and bad odor. in authoritarian societies, like china and here, the general pop has no say in rules made by the officials so the laws really only benefit the lawmakers, generally to enhance own bank account.

education helps too as folks learn the merit/demerit of permitted behaviour, eg, the LED signboards on every big corner. how about some vehicle emission control laws here , wouldn't that be nice?

I am pretty sure smoking in restaurants has been banned in thailand for a few years already.

They have emission controls in place. That is why every vehicle has to be tested after it is 7 years old before you can get a new tax sticker. The problem is the older the vehicle the higher the emissions can be. At least that is what I was told at one of the testing stations.

Some time back, I saw an nice looking air con German restaurant, not far from Thae Pae Gate.

Walked, in about turned and walked straight out. Three guys in there smoking cigars!! bah.gif

2020, CM is packed with Chinese and other foreigners. Resident Thai are moving out. Thai biz developing to serve new customers.

2030, Most native Thai moved out of CM, now nearly totally owned by non Thai, especially Chinese.

Hey, Chinese DRIVE their personal cars to CM with Chinese license plates, allowed by ASEAN.

The takeaway I percieved from this was how soul less the consumption is.. I have no problem with some with money, who has a passion for fast cars, buying the ferrari or Lambo that makes the hairs on your neck stand up. But this was more people who hate the sun, cowering under a bimani being sold mega yachts simply because, it shows how rich they are.. Its like training on uber consumption.

New generation with newly found wealth (mostly,if not all unearned,I suspect) .... are immature,impulsive with tastes unrefined. It takes time and experience to know what to do with money other than just spend it.

• Like 1

2020, CM is packed with Chinese and other foreigners. Resident Thai are moving out. Thai biz developing to serve new customers.

2030, Most native Thai moved out of CM, now nearly totally owned by non Thai, especially Chinese.

Hey, Chinese DRIVE their personal cars to CM with Chinese license plates, allowed by ASEAN.

Why would resident Thais move out?

And what is strange about driving to a different country for a holiday? Everyone in Europe does it just about every holiday.. A lot of people in Asia do it.

You in North America by any chance at a location where driving across a national border would involve driving for a week?

Regardless you could drive your own car from any country to Thailand too. Nothing to do with ASEAN, just Thai immigration/customs.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am pretty sure smoking in restaurants has been banned in thailand for a few years already.

They have emission controls in place. That is why every vehicle has to be tested after it is 7 years old before you can get a new tax sticker. The problem is the older the vehicle the higher the emissions can be. At least that is what I was told at one of the testing stations.

Smoking in restaurants/bars is banned but not ban is enforced in many places.My Thai wife, and me to a lesser degree, hate the smell of cigarettes ,we used to move to another table now we just don't go to where the ban is not enforced.As for vehicle emission controls how about the older songteaws that you get stuck behind, nearly choke you to death,no way they could pass the test, leave it your imagination how they get passed

• Like 1

Thais are not going to move out of CM they are moving in and will continue to do so. Check the Bangkok number plates now they out number the local ones 2-1

• Like 2

Thais are not going to move out of CM they are moving in and will continue to do so. Check the Bangkok number plates now they out number the local ones 2-1

These are CM residents opting for a Bangkok license plate instead CM license plates. Everyone can get Bangkok license plates regardless where you are based in Thailand. Not saying though that some people across the country have decided to move to CM.