The Future of Chiang Mai

watgate

Yes, I see them taking over CM as you describe.

And that's just the start. They are all over the world doing the same thing.

My advice to young people is to learn to say "Yes, boss" in Mandarin.

We farangs in CM do not need to learn any more about the Thai culture. We need to learn about the Chinese culture instead.

Wai-ing is history; spitting and yelling is the future.

So all Chinese spit & yell do they?

I lived in Hong Kong twice and yes most of them do yell rather than speak. Spitting? Many do. I was almost taken out in my youth while running by an old granny that dropped a gobful of phlegm right at my feet big enough to have its own bank account. There are signs at every turn on the Star Ferry 'No Spitting'. I'm quite sure they're not put there just for the fun of it.

Have you ever encountered a quiet Chinese tour group with decent manners? Even their own government recently issued guidelines on decorum given that they behave so badly wherever they go.

I've worked in China and other Asian countries and Chinese Thai/Khmer/Vietnamese/Filipino are always the loudest people.

Right, no Farang has ever pulled that, or something similar. :rolleyes:

(Crawling all over Buddha statues, in inappropriate clothing or poses, etc.. (etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, ...... ...... ...)

• Like 1

Right, no Farang has ever pulled that, or something similar. rolleyes.gif

(Crawling all over Buddha statues, in inappropriate clothing or poses, etc.. (etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, ...... ...... ...)

Yeah, but the OP is concerned about the Chinese, not farangs, taking over CM.

• Like 1

We farangs in CM do not need to learn any more about the Thai culture. We need to learn about the Chinese culture instead.

YEAH, they do.....if you step on their feet...

• Like 1

Look how China is doing bussiness all over the third world countries. They bring inftastructure and own it. They bring equipment to

Explore whatsever is available, so before they know they own the whole country.

They are talking to bring a railroad to Thailand and it's the beginning to take over Thailand. The system here is so corrupted that the rich few are willing to sell Thailand out to the Chinese. It is judt a matter of time untill Thailand is a province of China.

Do you still remeber that Tibet was a independent country.

Well it isn't anymore. They just run over it because nobody cared. In Thailand they will do it in the friendly way, as long it is possible, but they will do it.

Every country has a**holes citizens who give the country a bad name when they go abroad. Recently there were 2 separate incidents of farang tourists taking nude pictures at Angkor Wat. wai2.gif

What's wrong with being nude. Its the way you are born. Bad Behaviour is the problem.

^ Conservative Thai aunties and assorted keyboard warriors got their knickers in a twist when someone posed on the city wall, in beach attire but fairly tastefully.

Now imagine doing it nude. (I agree with you, but Thai laws on pr0nography don't)

1390833902.jpg

Also, those people did not agree with some Westerners practising Yoga on the large lawns at Wat Suan Dok, that was just a couple weeks ago.

And the same people yet again blamed Chinese for a picture of a woman taking a dump in the moat, who turned out to be a Thai person with a mental health challenge. Oops. (But not 'Oops' enough to not see that picture regurgitated over and over again in discussions such as this one here.)

Some people are really eager to have their '10 minutes of taking offense', and the Internet is great at facilitating that. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I think Chiang Mai is good place for the Chinese. Today in Bkk on the BTS many people but not noisy and everyone minding their own business and moving away from door so people could pass. 4 Chinese ladies one man get on and talk, yell and stand blocking everyone entering and exiting. Don't have a clue about how to act. Only going to get worse...

• Like 2

^ Conservative Thai aunties and assorted keyboard warriors got their knickers in a twist when someone posed on the city wall, in beach attire but fairly tastefully.

Now imagine doing it nude. (I agree with you, but Thai laws on pr0nography don't)

1390833902.jpg

Also, those people did not agree with some Westerners practising Yoga on the large lawns at Wat Suan Dok, that was just a couple weeks ago.

And the same people yet again blamed Chinese for a picture of a woman taking a dump in the moat, who turned out to be a Thai person with a mental health challenge. Oops. (But not 'Oops' enough to not see that picture regurgitated over and over again in discussions such as this one here.)

Some people are really eager to have their '10 minutes of taking offense', and the Internet is great at facilitating that. wink.png

Nice rack on that gal.

• Like 1

People of Chinese descent have had an incredible impact on SE Asia. But in differing ways. Here in Thailand they are so integrated as to be almist invisible in some ways to the casual observer. But of course at least 20 per cent of Thais are descended from mainland Chinese ancestry. There are few restrictions if any, they are Tha speakers and Thais. Singapore was quite simply created by them. Malaysia, which is a riigidly engeneered and essentially rascist society unde the guise of multiculturalism places restrictions mainly politically on Straits Chinese. In Indonesia there js massive Chinese ownership but bans on Chinese signage creates an misrepresented impression. All of which is somewhat irrelevant to Chiang Mai. The Thai Chinese being Thai will be as protectionist as they are to any race, a policy that angers many for good reason but is deeply rooted. The Chinese will bring money and endeavor and many will integrate as history has shown. But there will be no takeover - the Thais and especially the all powerful Thai Chinese community will see to that.

Mesquite,

It is rather sad to read posts such as yours!

The Chinese intruding on Chiang Mai? That is pure ignorance of the demographic history of Northern Thailand!

Factoid: Approximately 1/3d of the Thai population is of Chinese heritage. There are, of course, other major "foreign" demographic influences from other "neighbors."

It might be that, finally, after about 150 years, the "farang" invasion of Thailand is ebbing! Not that one would note that in Chiang Mai which --- after an initial invasion of grotty backpackers --- is turning into some sort of place of last repose. Perhaps you don't agree that many La'Na have considered this Westerner invasion a greater intrusion!

Sorry, just had to let off some steam after continuing to read what (not just this thread) adds up to the usual sort of historical and ignorant racism that is accepted, perhaps, all too often in many threads on TV Chiang Mai!

So, let us get back to the really important topics like closing time of bars, the lack of action on Loy Kroh, and the best English breakfasts in town!! After all, if she of Loy Kroh origin has worked for her dinner, she should at least be treated to a good breakfast! Actually, a good rice soup might be preferable --- but how many posters here would know how to find that but can find sausage and bacon ?!

Get real! Invasion of Chiang Mai by whom?!Hah !!!

• Like 1

I think we need other words !!

in Mandarin: <deleted>.... off !!

I wouldn't think any foreigner, Asian or not, could buy land in Thailand.

People can also be taught to follow local customs. One example I can think of is when Singapore demolished the Chinese villages and people were moved into high rise buildings (along with an efficient MRT service to the new centres, and sufficient restaurants and shopping centres incorporated to cut back on traffic problems).

One problem was that some village folk would pee in the elevators, so detectors from the Vietnam war were installed, and elevators would go direct to the ground level where security would be waiting. People soon learned.

Another problem was high rise junk disposal, and after a few people had been killed by unwanted bicycles etc, dropped over the side from 25 floors up, the govt added a few more things to make Singapore a FINE city. Chewing gum, long hair and jay walking were other misdemeanours.

A lot of new regulations were necessary for public health, and dengue control was another; mosquito patrols were set up, and apartments with pot plants and water on their balcony or gardens, soon learned to be a lot more careful.

Given time and some training, new methods can be learned. Just the way all Thais wear helmets when driving their motor bikes or stop at zebra crossings.

It's all a matter of some education, active policing and follow up. (and no tea money)

yes yes !

All this they will learn from the new arrivings from China !!

Actually the Chinese have as much variety as say the Europeans. Cantonese remind me of Londoners - noisy and a bit crude but quite good fun whereas the Shanghinese are much more reserved. You can see this in the way they play mah-jong. Cantonese slap the tiles down but the Shanghinese feel the bottom of the tile and slide it forward. I employed both types in the one company and they did not get on with each other very well. Also some of the most urbane people I ever met were Chinese. But like most nationalities, if you are after sophistication and manners you tend to find it among the well educated.

In fact, I suspect that if it were not for the Chinese Thailand would be a long way behind where it is today.

I have spent time in China, the majority of Chinese people I met were polite and nice.

Well, you can say pretty much the same thing of much of SEA whistling.gif

I think most Chinese tourists in CM are alright and actually quite low-key, though I do wish they are more careful on the roads, either as pedestrians or motorists. At least they are not known to get drunk and start fights. Actually much prefer them than those from some other countries I see in some of the beach towns down south. However, I shall not go into which nationalities laugh.png

best you not go south,

but stay with them NORTH !!!!

I went to eat in a brand new Chinese restaurant . the boss is a Chinese who can not speak Thai...but that will improve...

Some property has been bought by rich Chinese... and are in the process of been renovated or reconstructed.....

On the other hand, even Chinese are not safe of been ripped off....just like farangs...

Western manners: The latest Chinese status symbol

Media and even the Chinese president have been critical of how some Chinese travellers have behaved on trips. On a September trip to the Maldives,Chinese President Xi Jinping suggested Chinese citizens be a bit more civilised when travelling abroad.

So....

Five Chinese women are sitting upright in their chairs,designer handbags at their heels,listening attentively to a trendy Chinese Tatler magazine photographer describe how to pose in public.He is talking makeup, light and cheekbones.The room is decorated with Pierre Frey wallpaper and the participants sip tea out of a Bernardaud tea set.

Notepad in hand, they are learning the dos and donts of camera etiquette.

The course entitled How to pose elegantly in front of the camera is one of many offered by Institute Sarita, a modern-day version of European finishing schools that caters to Chinese nouveaux riche. Other courses offered by the school, located in thetrendy Sanlitun district of Beijing, include how to raise children, proper table manners and luxury brand pronunciation.

Most of my clients had an embarrassing moment, overseas or during a business dinner. They come here because they want to make thing easier for themselves, said Sara-Jane Ho, the perfectly groomed school founder, as she sat in a drawing room furnished with imported French antique furniture.

Its mostly learning about how to behave in an international environment, said Ho, who herself studied etiquette at the Institut Villa Pierrefeu in Switzerland, one of the last proper finishing schools in the world. So far she has attracted a couple hundred wealthy Chinese to her courses. She is opening a Shanghai branch in May.

With 190 billionaires and more than two million millionaires, China tags just behind the US in number of high-net-worth individuals, according to research from Forbes magazine and Boston Consulting Group.

Coming to a restaurant near you/me maybe....

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20150219-the-latest-chinese-status-symbol

have money dont meam you are educated and caltural !!!

The Chinese aren't that bad. I've been going to China (mainly Guangzhou) regularly since 1978 and I don't see them spitting. Admittedly some Chinese customs such as everybody digging into the central food bowls with their chopsticks gives me some cause for concern healthwise, and their toilets can be quite disgusting even in sophisticated factories that have the latest hi-tech equipment. I guess Thailand is now seeing the nouveau riche who are just emerging from peasanthood - give them time. Sydney has a large Chinese population and they don't cause any problems. At least they are not Mohammed's Murderous Madmen. .Anyhow, as far as I know they have the same restrictions in Thailand regarding the ownership of property, work permits, visas, etc as the rest of us. Considering they are about a quarter of the world's population it shouldn't be a surprise that they are now so apparent,.

you bringing it on the point:

In my country we say: go in a toilett and you know where you are !!!

Thats your describtion about China !

Even not in High sophisticated enviroment - factory, the toilett is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your last line describes all farange but you can add cursing and swearing as well. Is there something wrong with Chinese people??? I don't think so individually but groups can be a little bothersome but so do other groups as well.

Haven't quite understood this Chinese bashing of late. Is because Russian bashing is passe now do to their economy and lack of tourist numbers.

Starting to wonder about the expats here who seem to be so critical of everything and everybody. Has this site outside of continuing repeats of the same information over and over again become a ranters and critics playground.??????

• Like 1

Likely more do than don't.

CM future: ever more sour-faced farangs (many donning pony tails and socks under their sandals) and swathes of Chinese. Think I'll pass. whistling.gif

So do Americans and Europeans too. Hope all the other folks who critics of their host country also give it pass and stay the hell home.

It might be that, finally, after about 150 years, the "farang" invasion of Thailand is ebbing! Not that one would note that in Chiang Mai which --- after an initial invasion of grotty backpackers --- is turning into some sort of place of last repose. Perhaps you don't agree that many La'Na have considered this Westerner invasion a greater intrusion!

Mapguy is on to something here.

In the past 15-20 years there has been an invasion of farangs, complaining about traffic, incompentent Thai tradesmen, sales people, police, business owners, working ladies, government officials and doctors, percieved ripoffs and muich more. Demanding western standards at Thai prices and whining when they are not available. Refusing to learn Thai language and unwilling to respect Thai customs.

Thinking that the Chinese will be worse over the longer term takes a stretch of the imagination.

But Mapguy it was the backpackers that opened CM so you could arrive 40 of 50 years later in your Rolls looking down on the undercapitalized unwashed masses.

Most of the newbie Chinese that I have encountered in Pattaya have been quite rude. Not to say they all are. But the Chinese government did exhort them not be rude during the Olympic games and held classes to teach them how to deal with non-Chinese. So I guess the gov't sees a problem.

The book "China's Second Continent:A Million Chinese in Africa" is a good read.

An iconic Melbourne Pub "The Prince of Wales" - Everyone has played there part of the heritage of St Kilda and everyone loves it. Now sold to Chinese investment company for $45M with plans to build a luxury hotel development. None of the MP's care because its all about short term financial and political gain; the whole place will be sold to Chinese then what? will we all just live in "Luxury Surroundings" and eat the best dumplings and be done with it and no more live music. F that.

I feel I have a lot of experience with Chinese people growing up in New York City there is a Chinatown and San Francisco has also very long standing Chinese population

I also encounter Chinese tourists all the time when in San Francisco.

Chinese girls I encountered in Chiang Mai last year all spoke very good English.

they seem very interested having an enjoyable vacations when in Thailand and are always very communicable

I find them very appreciative of advice when they ask for it,

individual counters which are important, have always been good,

group situations are completely different

Getting on a bus in San Francisco, at or near any entrance to Chinatown, requires ear plugs

Haven't quite understood this Chinese bashing of late.

. Perhaps you don't agree that many La'Na have considered this Westerner invasion a greater intrusion!

In the past 15-20 years there has been an invasion of farangs,

Thinking that the Chinese will be worse over the longer term takes a stretch of the imagination.

The fear of the "Yellow Hordes" runs back longer and deeper than even fair-minded people realise. The re-emergence of China on the world stage after 2 centuries of under-performance simply plays on those fears whistling.gif

Some deluded farangs here with the smug anti-chinese comments should pause and reflect why it is that farangs are positively not welcomed in certain thai bars and entertainment venues. When it comes to "yelling", well the only times I've ever seen Thais yelling were with farang partners/customers/tourists. And the only times I've ever seen Thais treated shabbily were by farangs.coffee1.gif

In the past 15-20 years there has been an invasion of farangs, complaining about traffic, incompentent Thai tradesmen, sales people, police, business owners, working ladies, government officials and doctors, percieved ripoffs and muich more. Demanding western standards at Thai prices and whining when they are not available. Refusing to learn Thai language and unwilling to respect Thai customs.

But Mapguy it was the backpackers that opened CM so you could arrive 40 of 50 years later in your Rolls looking down on the undercapitalized unwashed masses.

Now I can't even find a place to park!!! :-D

giibaht,

regarding part of your post, "And the only times I've ever seen Thais treated shabbily were by farangs." : take a look through this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/143219-how-rich-thais-view-poor/

I have seen over and over Thais treating Thais shabbily. It seems pretty hard to miss in my opinion.

I think all over Asia the cultures are influenced by past (or current) caste systems.