The Future of Chiang Mai

watgate

Nobody can predict the future but with the great influx of Chinese this week, I was wondering what is in store for Chiang Mai as it relates to the Chinese. Do you foresee many Chinese taking up residence here and acquiring properties in large numbers. I realize over the years a lot of Chinese have migrated here and married Thai woman and opened up businesses here. I also understand some Chinese are living here and renting motorbikes so they can attend the Universities to learn English. It is evidently cheaper doing it this way then going to school in China. Anyway, I am just interested in other folks take on the "Chinese invasion" and what do you foresee for the future of Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, considering the rise of Asia.

• Like 1

I once had a very unsettling dream.

I was walking around lost looking for the guesthouse I used to frequent, near Moonmuang Soi 7.

The area around Somphetch market was all massive glass-covered buildings set back from the street like central BKK, and there was a Skytrain too!

The sky had an unnatural orange hue and I realized I had slept for years, and like Rip Van Winkle been transported far into an unpleasant future.

Fortunately that was just a stupid dream and nothing like that could ever happen.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

China's coming "demographic disaster" is well understood and well documented. For example, www.brookings.edu/research/articles/2012/06/china-demographics-wang. (If you don't like Brookings, you can Google and find dozens of other sources.)

Consensus however is clear: China is the only major economy that will grow old before it grows rich. The economic contraction will start in 5-10 years. Of course, no one can say exactly what effect this will have on Chinese involvement in Chiang Mai, but it offers a counterweight to all these heavy fears about Chinese taking over the future.

• Like 1

We will be (are) seeing more blue plate, left drive cars ...so traffic is getting "interesting".

I would've thought that those who have managed to drive from China to CM are more than capable drivers. Probably a lot more skilled than 90% of the local drivers.

Those chinese renting cars here might be different whistling.gif

• Like 2

Western manners: The latest Chinese status symbol

Media and even the Chinese president have been critical of how some Chinese travellers have behaved on trips. On a September trip to the Maldives,Chinese President Xi Jinping suggested Chinese citizens be a bit more civilised when travelling abroad.

So....

Five Chinese women are sitting upright in their chairs,designer handbags at their heels,listening attentively to a trendy Chinese Tatler magazine photographer describe how to pose in public.He is talking makeup, light and cheekbones.The room is decorated with Pierre Frey wallpaper and the participants sip tea out of a Bernardaud tea set.

Notepad in hand, they are learning the dos and donts of camera etiquette.

The course entitled How to pose elegantly in front of the camera is one of many offered by Institute Sarita, a modern-day version of European finishing schools that caters to Chinese nouveaux riche. Other courses offered by the school, located in thetrendy Sanlitun district of Beijing, include how to raise children, proper table manners and luxury brand pronunciation.

Most of my clients had an embarrassing moment, overseas or during a business dinner. They come here because they want to make thing easier for themselves, said Sara-Jane Ho, the perfectly groomed school founder, as she sat in a drawing room furnished with imported French antique furniture.

Its mostly learning about how to behave in an international environment, said Ho, who herself studied etiquette at the Institut Villa Pierrefeu in Switzerland, one of the last proper finishing schools in the world. So far she has attracted a couple hundred wealthy Chinese to her courses. She is opening a Shanghai branch in May.

With 190 billionaires and more than two million millionaires, China tags just behind the US in number of high-net-worth individuals, according to research from Forbes magazine and Boston Consulting Group.

Coming to a restaurant near you/me maybe....

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20150219-the-latest-chinese-status-symbol

• Like 1

Yes, there's a lot more LHD blue plated Chinese registered cars in Chiang Mai this year than last year, and perhaps more than ever, but they're not about to take over.

As an Australian citizen I have more rights in certain industries under the Australia-Thailand FTA than the Chinese ever do to own a majority stake in things.

There's always talk here about the latent Thai xenophobia towards foreigners; it's far worse towards Chinese than your average white farang, particularly in Chiang Mai.

Have no fear, they're not about to take over :)

• Like 1

In fact, I suspect that if it were not for the Chinese Thailand would be a long way behind where it is today.

I have spent time in China, the majority of Chinese people I met were polite and nice.

Well, you can say pretty much the same thing of much of SEA whistling.gif

I think most Chinese tourists in CM are alright and actually quite low-key, though I do wish they are more careful on the roads, either as pedestrians or motorists. At least they are not known to get drunk and start fights. Actually much prefer them than those from some other countries I see in some of the beach towns down south. However, I shall not go into which nationalities laugh.png

They just blend in with the local drivers in that department.

I wouldn't think any foreigner, Asian or not, could buy land in Thailand.

People can also be taught to follow local customs. One example I can think of is when Singapore demolished the Chinese villages and people were moved into high rise buildings (along with an efficient MRT service to the new centres, and sufficient restaurants and shopping centres incorporated to cut back on traffic problems).

One problem was that some village folk would pee in the elevators, so detectors from the Vietnam war were installed, and elevators would go direct to the ground level where security would be waiting. People soon learned.

Another problem was high rise junk disposal, and after a few people had been killed by unwanted bicycles etc, dropped over the side from 25 floors up, the govt added a few more things to make Singapore a FINE city. Chewing gum, long hair and jay walking were other misdemeanours.

A lot of new regulations were necessary for public health, and dengue control was another; mosquito patrols were set up, and apartments with pot plants and water on their balcony or gardens, soon learned to be a lot more careful.

Given time and some training, new methods can be learned. Just the way all Thais wear helmets when driving their motor bikes or stop at zebra crossings.

It's all a matter of some education, active policing and follow up. (and no tea money)

Sounds like a remedy for British inner cities.

..........and these are not village folk!

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Western manners: The latest Chinese status symbol

Media and even the Chinese president have been critical of how some Chinese travellers have behaved on trips. On a September trip to the Maldives,Chinese President Xi Jinping suggested Chinese citizens be a bit more civilised when travelling abroad.

So....

Five Chinese women are sitting upright in their chairs,designer handbags at their heels,listening attentively to a trendy Chinese Tatler magazine photographer describe how to pose in public.He is talking makeup, light and cheekbones.The room is decorated with Pierre Frey wallpaper and the participants sip tea out of a Bernardaud tea set.

Notepad in hand, they are learning the dos and donts of camera etiquette.

The course entitled How to pose elegantly in front of the camera is one of many offered by Institute Sarita, a modern-day version of European finishing schools that caters to Chinese nouveaux riche. Other courses offered by the school, located in thetrendy Sanlitun district of Beijing, include how to raise children, proper table manners and luxury brand pronunciation.

Ep 2 of a really quite interesting series on the Chinese uber wealthy.. Many of whom have transitioned from rural peasantry to multi multi millionaire status in a couple of decades.. LEarning not to spit, to the Hermès handbag.. To polo and yachting in short order.. 16k USD banana eating lessons smile.png

The takeaway I percieved from this was how soul less the consumption is.. I have no problem with some with money, who has a passion for fast cars, buying the ferrari or Lambo that makes the hairs on your neck stand up. But this was more people who hate the sun, cowering under a bimani being sold mega yachts simply because, it shows how rich they are.. Its like training on uber consumption.

Anyway interesting multi part series.. skip back to Ep 1 for the full effect.

• Like 2

The Chinese aren't that bad. I've been going to China (mainly Guangzhou) regularly since 1978 and I don't see them spitting. Admittedly some Chinese customs such as everybody digging into the central food bowls with their chopsticks gives me some cause for concern healthwise, and their toilets can be quite disgusting even in sophisticated factories that have the latest hi-tech equipment. I guess Thailand is now seeing the nouveau riche who are just emerging from peasanthood - give them time. Sydney has a large Chinese population and they don't cause any problems. At least they are not Mohammed's Murderous Madmen. .Anyhow, as far as I know they have the same restrictions in Thailand regarding the ownership of property, work permits, visas, etc as the rest of us. Considering they are about a quarter of the world's population it shouldn't be a surprise that they are now so apparent,.

Many Thai's will do this with their spoons, even though spoons are available in the bowl for this purpose.

Different nationalities, different utensils, same otherwise in many ways.

Whilst the op concentrates on the Chinese influence, I am interested in what happens with the ASEAN integration. Chiang mai is not a strategic city of you look at location. Will it fall by the wayside?