just happened: bad motorcycle accident on thappraya at police checkpoint

manarak

Sorry to hear about the accident, but we've all seen the way a large percentage of the population rides here, particularly at night when they should be exercising the utmost caution. Thai men seem to have incredible confidence in their ability to react to anything in their path when they throw their leg over a bike.

• Like 2

ok - nothing in the title or your OP made that clear, but I hope he recovers.

me too... it was a gruesome sight and i typed in the post a short time after, i forgot to write some details. the way he fell flat, face down and the spasms looked really bad, i got the picture in my head.

i hope it looked worse than it is and the docs can save him.

the main benefit of these half-helmets is probably to avoid fines

Sorry to hear about the accident, but we've all seen the way a large percentage of the population rides here, particularly at night when they should be exercising the utmost caution. Thai men seem to have incredible confidence in their ability to react to anything in their path when they throw their leg over a bike.

That's where my mind went too, but I've also seen crazy farangs and other expats. Sometimes I wonder if it's "stimulants."

Ooops.

I find when I'm driving the car I'll look in the side or rear view mirrors and motor cycles hang around cars like Ramora to a Shark,which I hate.

Very sorry to hear about this unfortunate chap though, I also hope he pulls through.

Had to google Ramora to a Shark. ​you are correct,

but vehicles do like to cut up the motorcycles and <deleted> about in what would be the motorcycle lane

• Like 1

I never ride at night, certainly not at midnight. You can bet 50%+ of other road users are pissed.

ok for me to ride at night, if I want to nip to the market or shops, not bars

Just be very careful. my car is a pain to park sometimes so use the bike.

How do you know 50+ are pissed ?

I Think 95% are just idiots on the roads. but that's just me.

Hope the guy makes a recovery.

I never ride at night, certainly not at midnight. You can bet 50%+ of other road users are pissed.

ok for me to ride at night, if I want to nip to the market or shops, not bars

Just be very careful. my car is a pain to park sometimes so use the bike.

How do you know 50+ are pissed ?

I Think 95% are just idiots on the roads. but that's just me.

Hope the guy makes a recovery.

Yes many people are really idiots when they drive.. and by not being one of those and acting with care you can increase your chances a lot. There is always a chance of course for trouble.

Yesterday I did a trip and it was real busy with a car it would have taken me at least double the time and far less fun. I like my car.. but its slow and cumbersome to park. (compared to a motorbike)

we criticise the way the way thais behave on the roads, in many cases justifiably, but as this case shows and as i often see myself many foreigners behave in equally idiotic ways. riding motorcycles without due care and attention, no protective clothing, no helmet or an unfastened helmet or a low quality helmet. it just doesnt make sense.

sorry for the guy and hope he gets better but it was probably an avoidable accident and certainly a less serious accident i a little common sense had been used.

we criticise the way the way thais behave on the roads, in many cases justifiably, but as this case shows and as i often see myself many foreigners behave in equally idiotic ways. riding motorcycles without due care and attention, no protective clothing, no helmet or an unfastened helmet or a low quality helmet. it just doesnt make sense.

sorry for the guy and hope he gets better but it was probably an avoidable accident and certainly a less serious accident i a little common sense had been used.

Recently i seen all the Thais with helmets in my area but a blond / ginger haired foreigner without one driving like an idiot.

Car wise i saw a foreigner in a pickup driving at high speed zig zagging. Only when he hit traffic and I passed him did i see it was an older foreigner (assume older white hair). I just noticed the car first for its dangerous riding without knowing if it was Thai or foreigner. I assumed Thai as I live in an area with almost no foreigners.

So there are plenty of foreign idiots around just look at all those guys defending drinking and driving.

• Like 1

I have noticed an increasing trend in Pattaya for middle-aged farangi to wear bicycle helmets to get around the laws on wearing helmets when riding motorbikes. These are better than nothing but offer no protection for face plant type accidents.

I have noticed an increasing trend in Pattaya for middle-aged farangi to wear bicycle helmets to get around the laws on wearing helmets when riding motorbikes. These are better than nothing but offer no protection for face plant type accidents.

Many don't want protection. .they don't want a fine. I bet you these are the same types that drink and drive.

• Like 1

You would think they would know better wouldn't you?

And I've also seen more than a few farang copying the Issan style of motorcycle riding by going against the traffic in the wrong lane

And I've also seen more than a few farang copying the Issan style of motorcycle riding by going against the traffic in the wrong lane

It's worse than being copy cats. Too many farangs push way beyond that, not recognizing there's a limit to what the Thai riders will do. There are times on the street when I go "what the <deleted>" and, yep, it's a stupid farang pushing far beyond the limits of acceptance. Such as bolting from behind a stationary baht bus on the curbside right at an intersection when there's crossing traffic. Happened to me two nights ago at Buakhao and Diana. I had to do a front-wheel stander, fortunately at a crawl speed because I was being cautious. The Thais, by comparison, are not so hell-bent-for-death, and will pause to check traffic in this scenario.

So the worst street riders in Pattaya? 1. Teenage Thai boy speedsters, three on a bike, 2. Dumbass farangs. 3. Middle-age ladies with kids on the bike who won't ever look.

It's worse than being copy cats. Too many farangs push way beyond that, not recognizing there's a limit to what the Thai riders will do. There are times on the street when I go "what the <deleted>" and, yep, it's a stupid farang pushing far beyond the limits of acceptance. Such as bolting from behind a stationary baht bus on the curbside right at an intersection when there's crossing traffic. Happened to me two nights ago at Buakhao and Diana. I had to do a front-wheel stander, fortunately at a crawl speed because I was being cautious. The Thais, by comparison, are not so hell-bent-for-death, and will pause to check traffic in this scenario.

So the worst street riders in Pattaya? 1. Teenage Thai boy speedsters, three on a bike, 2. Dumbass farangs. 3. Middle-age ladies with kids on the bike who won't ever look.

Not so true, some falang are bad but its a very small amount compared to the local dickheads

Motorbike riders of all nationalities seem to completely lose any trace of common sense the moment they get on a bike here.

Have they no idea that they risk their lives (or permanent disability, or excruciatingly painful skin loss) every time they ride one?

I drive a pickup because it gives me a good chance of walking away from an accident without a scratch on me. You will never see me on a motorbike.

How's the view on your high horse today?

Much safer than it would be from a motorbike seat, thanks.

It doesn't bother me that some people choose to take risks for no obvious reason, and they are welcome to do so, but it does surprise me. Hence my comment. I could have made a similar comment about people who go mountain climbing or use hard drugs or go binge-drinking or do other similarly risky things but that isn't the topic of this thread.

Me and many others have been riding motorbikes here for a long period. Its hard to deny that there are more risks as in a car. But if you want to eliminate all risks you better never leave your house.

I have had a car accident putting me in the hospital here but never motorcycle accident. So its just luck of the draw.

If you drive a bike here you can be reasonable safe if you drive good and drive defensive. If you drive like the majority of Thais zig zagging all around and acting like its a video game (you sometimes see cars do the same thing) you are putting yourself at a far higher risk.

If you stay at the speed of traffic or a bit faster and wear good protection, not half helmets unfastened because you worry about a fine but a good full face helmet and some other gear (i admit only put it all on on longer rides) you are having a far better chance as most other riders.

Many KMs done and going strong.. for me it weights up to the risks.. but that is with all things in life a personal thing.

One thing I have noticed on Thai roads is that it's not my driving I have to worry about; it's the driving of the drunken fool with no licence and no insurance in another vehicle.

If he hits my pick-up he will probably just dent it. If he hits your motorbike you are likely to be seriously hurt. I know which outcome I prefer and that doesn't stop me from travelling or leaving my condo. I do what I want but I do it safely.

Still, it's your decision and you are entirely welcome to take any risks you care to. But it still surprises me that people are prepared to do it.

Me and many others have been riding motorbikes here for a long period. Its hard to deny that there are more risks as in a car. But if you want to eliminate all risks you better never leave your house.

I have had a car accident putting me in the hospital here but never motorcycle accident. So its just luck of the draw.

If you drive a bike here you can be reasonable safe if you drive good and drive defensive. If you drive like the majority of Thais zig zagging all around and acting like its a video game (you sometimes see cars do the same thing) you are putting yourself at a far higher risk.

If you stay at the speed of traffic or a bit faster and wear good protection, not half helmets unfastened because you worry about a fine but a good full face helmet and some other gear (i admit only put it all on on longer rides) you are having a far better chance as most other riders.

Many KMs done and going strong.. for me it weights up to the risks.. but that is with all things in life a personal thing.

One thing I have noticed on Thai roads is that it's not my driving I have to worry about; it's the driving of the drunken fool with no licence and no insurance in another vehicle.

If he hits my pick-up he will probably just dent it. If he hits your motorbike you are likely to be seriously hurt. I know which outcome I prefer and that doesn't stop me from travelling or leaving my condo. I do what I want but I do it safely.

Still, it's your decision and you are entirely welcome to take any risks you care to. But it still surprises me that people are prepared to do it.

Maybe other people see the risks differently as you do and feel it weighs up to the fun... ease of use compared to a car. I got a car too but I prefer the 2 bikes (big one for longer trips.. and you get noticed on that people give me far more room as when I am on the scooter). The car.. too slow in traffic.. too hard to park ect ect.

• Like 1