Uk Settlement Visa

Well, this is the message from the VFS office in respect of my wifes application:

"The applicant is required to be present for a personal interview at the British Embassy. Please visit the UK Visa Application Center to schedule an appointment".

She subsequently received a call from the VFS and has been asked to go there on Monday - another trip to Bkk - to collect the documents and arrange the interview. She's been told that my step-son is required to attend the interview with the Embassy, he's all of three and a half, does anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Does anyone know if she can ask what the issues are beforehand and whether it still really takes 2-3 months for the interview to take place?

Can I do anything - like be there? I know they won't allow me to be present, but if there are any queries?

This is really disappointing and a little confusing.

Ollie,

I wouldn't read too much in to the fact that the embassy want to interview your wife.

If it's because they require additional documentation, they should tell you what they need. The questions will, as likely as not, centre upon your wife's knowledge of you and your circumstances, and possibly her relationship with her son; i.e. is he her son and does she have sole custody? They will want the son to be present to see that he exists, but won't formally interview him.

I don't currently know how long the waiting list is for interview.

Scouse.

I don't currently know how long the waiting list is for interview.

My Friend's Wife got last week the earliest possible interview date for the 26 th September....so you might get a date there too..

Thanks everyone for the feedback - interesting information about the interview.

Scouse, you will obviously be far more aware of the scams that get pulled at these things than I am, I guess that was your point about proving the child exists! But we provided his original birth certificate, house registration, proof of custody on the divorce papers, letter from the Amphur of the same, proof of name change to my wifes maiden name, ID card, passport and several photos!! I guess the only possible thing left is to produce him in person!!

Perhaps they'll stamp his forehead!!! :o

I'll let you know how we get on.

HI Ollie,

Thought the following may be useful.

I had exactly the same experience as you did.

We got a call from VFS 2 days after submitting the documentation for the SV. She was asked to return to VFS to collect the documentation and to schedule an appointment. I then phoned and asked if this could be done by phone. They confirmed yes and so it was done. The documentation will be collected on the morning of the interview

They confirmed that no further documentation was required.

The application was submitted on the 5th July

The called on the 9th July about the appointment

The interview has been schedules for the 29th August

Roblpl

Yes, good luck and thanks for the post.

My wife attended at the VFS this morning and has an appt. at 9.30am on the 4th October, so it doesn't appear its taking 2-3 months any longer.

No documents were returned and she was told the interview would be about my wife and I and my step-son. Which I guess was to be expected. I would imagine they feel they need to explore further to be satisfied about how genuine the relationship is?

Does anyone have any views on this?

After they decide to issue the visa, you shouldn't have to wait longer than one or two days. You can track your wife's application via the internet. See also 1.4 - Validity of entry clearance and leave to enter. The date of the visa is significant.

Thanks Vinny, I've been using the tracking service, its pretty good, it already has a copy of the letter issued to my wife today (28th) about her appt. on 4th October!

There is no requirement for sponsors to accompany applicants to the interview. It is up to individuals if they wish to do so, but it is rare for the sponsor to be interviewed.

From DSPs Entry clearance Volume 1 - General instructions Chapter 8 – How to apply for an entry clearance – the process 8.13 - Interviews

UKvisas current policy is that Posts have discretion on whether or not to admit sponsors to interviews. There is no blanket ban on sponsors attending. Equally they have no automatic right to attend. It is preferable to conduct the interview with the applicant alone, seeing the sponsor separately if necessary.
Prior to the application centre opening, only applicants were allowed into the visa section, for overcrowding reasons. Sponsors had to wait outside.

Does anyone know if sponsors are now allowed to wait inside while the applicant is being interviewed?

The latest report I have (from last week) is that sponsors are not allowed inside the embassy compound.

Scouse.

In our case, they don't want to interview me, apparently, just the wife with the step-son present. I can't berlieve that they will be able to do naything with a three and a half year old?!

Scouse/GU22 - any comment about my earlier post of what this may be about? Your feedback is appreciated and the wife will be looking at this as well!

Scouse/GU22 - any comment about my earlier post of what this may be about? Your feedback is appreciated and the wife will be looking at this as well!
I can only repeat what Scouse said in the second post of this thread. Having an interview does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the application, merely that there are some points the ECO wants clarified.

My wife and step-daughter applied at the same time, and were called in for an interview. They asked a grand total of 5 questions! Maybe its S.O.P. to interview all applicants where children are involved?

As long as she answers all questions truthfully, and those answers are consistent with the evidence already provided, then she should be ok.

Edited by GU22

My wife first applied in June only to be told that an interview was to be held in August then the date was changed to early September.I was chessed of with this as i was in Thailand for 4 weeks July/August.

Still have my fingers crossed.Seems like they must be very busy :o

The latest report I have (from last week) is that sponsors are not allowed inside the embassy compound.

Scouse.

I think it pertinent to remind everyone that the ban upon sponsors attending the embassy with the applicant was imposed for the reason that the visa section and its environs could no longer accommodate the resultant over crowding. Given that the queue management has been outsourced to VFS the reason for the ban now no longer pertains yet it still remains. Personally, I always thought that the exclusion of sponsors had more to do with making life easier for the visa staff rather than for health and safety concerns, not least because of the significant fact the Embassy compound was probably the biggest in S.E.Asia!

The continuing exclusion of British sponsors, particularly those supporting fiancee and wives' settlement applications, from attending their own Embassy's compound is quite disgraceful. There can be no justifiable reason except for the blindingly obvious fact that the visa officer, and what may pass as management, can evade the unpleasantness of having to explain to the sponsor personally the reasons for refusal, particularly when the grounds for which are tenuous and not immediately apparent. Given that over 70% of refusals are overturned at appeal, it is no surprise that visa staff are somewhat squeamish about facing a sponsor.

The visa section staff are well paid and enjoy considerable perquisites not available to the taxpayer at home and so it is not surprising they would wish to maintain the even tenor of their cossetted lives in order to enjoy those benefits.

Edited by the gent

I originally asked the question using the thought processes outlined by the gent in the first half of his post. Plus the notice about sponsors being excluded has disappeared from the embassy website.

Scouse, is your informant sure?

I must take issue with the gent on the second part of his post, particularly

Given that over 70% of refusals are overturned at appeal, it is no surprise that visa staff are somewhat squeamish about facing a sponsor.
Over 90% of applications never go to appeal, for the simple reason that they are granted!

I have today e-mailed the embassy to ask.

Thanks for your earlier reply Gu22.

Its interesting that the partners of both Roblpl and yourself faced a total of 5 questions each at their interviews!

In my case, I am debating about flying over there for the interview. I know I can't be present and my wife has been told they only require an interview with her with my step-son present.

But I can't help thinking, "what if there are queries" I can help with?

When I was at the embassy in May, it was pretty empty, both upstairs where you get the affirmation sorted out and downstairs where there was a half dozen or so Thai ladies sat around - I guess to be interviewed?

That applies for both visits made.

Scouse.

I think it pertinent to remind everyone that the ban upon sponsors attending the embassy with the applicant was imposed for the reason that the visa section and its environs could no longer accommodate the resultant over crowding. Given that the queue management has been outsourced to VFS the reason for the ban now no longer pertains yet it still remains. Personally, I always thought that the exclusion of sponsors had more to do with making life easier for the visa staff rather than for health and safety concerns, not least because of the significant fact the Embassy compound was probably the biggest in S.E.Asia!

The continuing exclusion of British sponsors, particularly those supporting fiancee and wives' settlement applications, from attending their own Embassy's compound is quite disgraceful. There can be no justifiable reason except for the blindingly obvious fact that the visa officer, and what may pass as management, can evade the unpleasantness of having to explain to the sponsor personally the reasons for refusal, particularly when the grounds for which are tenuous and not immediately apparent. Given that over 70% of refusals are overturned at appeal, it is no surprise that visa staff are somewhat squeamish about facing a sponsor.

The visa section staff are well paid and enjoy considerable perquisites not available to the taxpayer at home and so it is not surprising they would wish to maintain the even tenor of their cossetted lives in order to enjoy those benefits.

I am amazed that i find myself agreeing with the gent , but on this point i have always maintained there were more sinister reasons for keeping the sponcers out of the compound. Seems like the gent thinks so to.

He makes some interesting points and maybe someone actually in Bangkok could call the Embassy to find out why sponcers are still excluded.

Scouse.

Of course, Scouse, there is nothing to stop a UK national (who is also a sponsor) from gaining entry to the UK Embassy on another pretext, eg to see the consular section on the first floor and then waiting on the ground floor (but without the right to attend the interview in the booths along the right-hand wall). The last couple of times I've been there, within the last 6 weeks, there have been perhaps 8-10 Thai people at most waiting in the visa section on the ground floor. It's near-deserted there now that VFS does all the application donkey work.

Edited by paully

My wife first applied in June only to be told that an interview was to be held in August then the date was changed to early September.I was chessed of with this as i was in Thailand for 4 weeks July/August.

Is your wife on the waiting list for earlier interviews at VFS, binnsy? Mine had her interview changed to a couple of days earlier last week after a cancellation. We were told by one of the VFS staff that they can only book 9 interviews a day at the Embassy for settlement applications, thus the lengthy waiting list. Only another 2 weeks to go for the wife's interview now, so fingers crossed.

When my wife went into the compound she told me that she was asked where her husband was and seemed surprised that she was on her own. Not sure whether this means anything but she did tell me that there were only people waiting to be interviewed in the waiting area.

Roblpl

Scouse, is your informant sure?

We didn't specifically discuss the issue of sponsors having to wait outside, but he mentioned, in the course of our conversation, that he was in a group of anxious sponsors, made to wait outside of the compound.

However, Paully is correct that there's nothing stopping a British sponsor from gaining entry upon the pretext of having to attend to some consular business, and then hanging around the ground floor.

Scouse.

Is your wife on the waiting list for earlier interviews at VFS, binnsy? Mine had her interview changed to a couple of days earlier last week after a cancellation. We were told by one of the VFS staff that they can only book 9 interviews a day at the Embassy for settlement applications, thus the lengthy waiting list. Only another 2 weeks to go for the wife's interview now, so fingers crossed.

She has a 8 o;clock appointment so fingers crossed that she is seen and hopefully they will give her a visa.do you no of any reasonable flights from BKK to HEATHROW?

She has a 8 o;clock appointment so fingers crossed that she is seen and hopefully they will give her a visa.do you no of any reasonable flights from BKK to HEATHROW?

Good Luck Binnsy,

When would she be looking to travel approx, any preference on Carrier, direct or other.

Moss