Economists see govt pass economic performance test

Lite Beer

Economists see govt pass economic performance test

BANGKOK: -- An opinion survey among 66 economists from 28 leading organizations found that they gave the government of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha 5.62 out of 10 points for its performance in economic management.

The survey was carried out from February 9 to 17. The scores were higher than 4.08 of the Yingluck government and 5.12 points of the Abhisit administration.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Economists-see-govt-pass-economic-performance-test-30254623.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-22

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every article I have read on Thai economy says its Tanking

It's tanking worldwide...

Question is, tanking by how much compared with competitors.

More so than most of the rest of ASEAN I believe

You don't need to be an 'Economist' or a 'Leading Organisation' to fabricate any lines of numbers stacked anyhow you like them, which is what these people do. My days of trusting the words of Economists, Bankers, Accountants and Politicians have long been over !

Be like Harry Truman, get a one-arm economist.

Try reading about Australia or in particular Western Australia and find out what a tanking economy is.

eg

currency down by around 25% against US$ , Thai baht steady against US$

mass retrenchments, Not in Thailand other than PTP

unemployment increasing Thailand is facing a labour shortage

Edited by Gunna
  • Like 1

Top economists give the government and the prime minister passing grades

2-22-2015-2-01-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Economists from 20 leading organizations in Thailand gave thump-up to the government’s performance in economic management and to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha’s overall performance in the latest Bangkok Poll.

The Research Centre of Bangkok University or Bangkok Poll conducted an opinion survey of 66 economists from 28 top organizations during February 9-17.

For the economists’ assessment of the government’s overall performance in economic management during the first six months in the office, the poll showed that out of a total score of ten, the Prayut government scored 5.62 compared to Abhisit government’s 5.12 and Ms Yingluck government’s 4.08.

The government was given the highest score, of 6.51 out of 10 in the management and stabilization of baht currency. It received the least score, 5.19 out of 10, in overall economic growth or GDP.

As for General Prayut’s performance assessment, the poll showed he received 6.62 scores compared to Ms Yingluck’s 3.66 scores. Regarding the performance assesment of economic ministers, Energy Minister Narongchai Akaraseranee bagged 6.15 scores while Deputy Prime Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula scored 6.07.

The lowest scorer among economic ministers was Commerce Minister Chatchai Sarikalya who received 5.20 scores against the average scores of 5.69 for economic ministers. Bank of Thailand governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul scored 7.54 compared to last year’s 7.11.

On the question of cabinet reshuffle, 34.8 percent of the economists supported cabinet reshuffle pointing out that many ministers are not experts and work as if they are bureaucrats, lack of coordination among ministries and they are slow.

21.2 percent said cabinet reshuffle was not necessary as policy implementation needs continuity and the government has limited time in the office.

44.0 percent of the economists did not answer the question

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/top-economists-give-government-prime-minister-passing-grades

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-22

Let those from outside the country give the thumbs up and then it would mean something. Those from Thailand could fear a knock on the door and an Army officer with a platoon of armed solider telling the person to pack your bags you need some adjustment training.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 1

The less information they give about how a survey is done, the harder it is to take it seriously. They give almost no information about this survey.

and 37 minutes later a new post gave the usual details we see with polls in Thailand.

I doubt you'll be happy though.

• Like 1

Let those from outside the country give the thumbs up and then it would mean something. Those from Thailand could fear a knock on the door and an Army officer with a platoon of armed solider telling the person to pack your bags you need some adjustment training.

A month ago it was clearly visible. The Thai population was shivering. Mind you I got the impression it was because of the temperature rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How is 5.62 out of 10 a passing grade? Who writes this propaganda?

Why not in Thailand 50 is considered a passing grade in school. A 65 and your honor roll material here.

The less information they give about how a survey is done, the harder it is to take it seriously. They give almost no information about this survey.

and 37 minutes later a new post gave the usual details we see with polls in Thailand.

You're right. The most obvious would be: Who are these economists and what are the "top organizations" they work for?

Other questions: Were the economists in positions where they were truly independent and free to criticize? What questions were asked and how? How were results determined?

Credible polling organizations make all this information and more available. Perhaps this Bangkok Poll did the same, if so ThaiPBS was remiss in not publishing the availability of this information.

You're right. The most obvious would be: Who are these economists and what are the "top organizations" they work for?

Other questions: Were the economists in positions where they were truly independent and free to criticize? What questions were asked and how? How were results determined?

Credible polling organizations make all this information and more available. Perhaps this Bangkok Poll did the same, if so ThaiPBS was remiss in not publishing the availability of this information.

I've been in Thailand only 20 years, but I cannot remember EVER having seen a poll in Thailand described in details you now ask for.

• Like 1

Try reading about Australia or in particular Western Australia and find out what a tanking economy is.

eg

currency down by around 25% against US$ , Thai baht steady against US$

mass retrenchments, Not in Thailand other than PTP

unemployment increasing Thailand is facing a labour shortage

That's a funny observation above , perhaps a bit gloomy?

But back to the Thai report ...of course some people simply don't get economics - anyone who does knows the Thai economy is in trouble.

As for Australia ....well lets compare

Whilst the Mining Boom over in Australia and the correction of the dollar has seen its value drop by 25% its hardly bleak news - Stocks are doing well.

Australia again enjoys highest median wealth out of all G20 countries (average $ worth)

Hasn't had a recession in 23 years !

And still has growth forecasts .

Australia has a floating dollar so currency is expected to drift by 15% over two years .

But the boom ending and American recovery saw its worth long over due corrected.

To compare it to Thailand is at best vague on economics.

Here's a reputable quote

On average the panel expects the slide in Australia's terms of trade to slow, losing only a further 3.6 per cent in 2015, but the average conceals a wide range from a further slide of 15 per cent to a lift of 7 per cent. None of the panel expects a dramatic recovery in the iron ore price. The forecasts range from a low of $US55 a tonne to a high of $US86.

The panel expects the Australian dollar to slide lower throughout the year, ending at US77 cents, which is about where the Reserve Bank is said to have long believed it should be. But again the range of forecasts is wide, from a slide to US69 cents (Steven Anthony) to a rebound to US86 cents (JP Morgan's Stephen Walters).

The panel expects the 2014-15 budget deficit to come in slightly worse than forecast at $43.8 billion. All expect it to fall the following year, to an average of $34.2 billion.

Much will depend on the strength of what the panel believes will be a tepid economy, on the Australian dollar, and on nominal gross domestic product, which drives government income. The panel expects nominal GDP growth of 3.7 per cent in 2015, an improvement on the 2.7 per cent recorded in the year to September, but still well down on the 9 per cent a year recorded in the mining boom.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/2015-businessday-economic-survey-economy-weak-cash-rate-steady-20150129-12w8cg.html#ixzz3SSfkEV7M

Well your lot certainly didn't help matters in wasting 600 Billion baht (for zero benefit to the people) - that they don't have to spend now, did they!!!

• Like 1

I've been in Thailand only 20 years, but I cannot remember EVER having seen a poll in Thailand described in details you now ask for.

Which is a good reason not to trust Thia polls, even the ones taken when there isn't martial law and criticism of the government is permitted.

So the same people doing the survey gave the yingluck government 1.5 points less than this government. Maybe the economists are in on this grand conspiracy to make the PTP look bad as well.

To some this mark is to high and the economists need denouncing. To others it is too low so they suggest the Junta will come with a platoon of soldiers of all things and take them away for attitude readjustment.

So what would an optimal mark be? I don't think there is one. I think some just get on and complain no matter what the article states.

Now do I have the economists on my list of entities that should be denounced because they are only doing their job, but have made the PTP look bad in the process.

The World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the Environmentalists, the corn farmer, rubber farmers, rice farmers, medical association, rural teachers, academics, Supa, economists, IMF, private banks, GSB, the EC, AoT, the courts, military, bangkok middle class, business owner, state enterprise staff, Buddhist monks, civil servants, labor unions, Green Politics group, Thai Constitution Protection Association, The Thai press, NIDA poll, Bangkok Poll.

Check. They are on the list.

Good news but can you give us some numbers?

Apparently Thailand's GDP growth was 0.7 %

Philippines 6.9

Malaysia 5.8

Indonesia 5

Int it great, if the poll had showed a poor performance then the PT supporters would have been telling us how accurate it was.

Here we see those who actually know about the economy, its their job even, giving an opinion which shows an improvement and it is rubbished by the expert PT supporters.

The comparisons with previous administrations are really the telling part for they show what a mess (but we knew that) the economy and the country as a whole was left in by the Yingluck Government.

The balls up of the rice pledging has had to be sorted with the farmers being paid, the rice berg starting to be sold off and markets having to be recovered, things that have had a big impact on the economy.

The drop off in tourism caused by protests and external economic factors (Russia) along with a drop in exports due to a generally poor world economy, the record household and national debt brought on by PT policies are all factors that would inhibit growth.

Mind you low oil prices would help the economy as a lot of the oil is imported.

Yet with all the negatives and the few positives we see those who really know about economic matters saying things have improved and after only how many months of this administration ?

Apparently Thailand's GDP growth was 0.7 %

Philippines 6.9

Malaysia 5.8

Indonesia 5

You might like to compare with the Yingluck years as well to give a more accurate idea of what has gone on.

But could the low growth be anything to do with the mess the country was left in and protests before the military took over.

Would it not be reasonable to compare, if we are talking about performance, the part of 2014 before the military took over with after they took over up to the present time.

If there is a way to do that.