People are almost equally divided on proposed Prayut-Thaksin talks

Lite Beer

I hate seeing the picture of the best PM in Thailand for decades, next to the picture of a criminal self exiled fugitive.

As about the Nida Polls we all know that is a load of rubbish, just for media consumption.

There will never be any talks between those 2.

Political conflict will be solved eventually the hard or the soft way by the Prime Minister.

Trust in him, he will deliver to us a better Thailand.

Of course there will be talks between them eventually either directly or indirectly. They need each other.

And what exactly would be the "hard way" to solve political conflict?

They need each other? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nobody needs T. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1LoERDvI-NyM

Mentioning him gives him vampire.gif undeserved importance.

Whom did he pay to bring up this unnecessary subject?

• Like 1

I hate seeing the picture of the best PM in Thailand for decades, next to the picture of a criminal self exiled fugitive.

As about the Nida Polls we all know that is a load of rubbish, just for media consumption.

Political conflict will be solved eventually the hard or the soft way by the Prime Minister.

I cant see much difference between the two. I despise both of them equally.
  • Like 1

Aye, two cheeks of the same backside indeed, but the Thaivisa unholy trinity of You-Know-Which posters will never be persuaded...

• Like 1

If 57% are against talks with the criminal, how can so many claim his stooges will win the next election?

I forgot, any poll result that doesn't suit the agenda must be faked.

well, these groups like to poll things that don't matter and in which the people have no influence, but to properly read the polls, it is necessary to have more data.

You add up 2 numbers assuming that all who responded that there should be no talks are against Thaksin.

But there is nothing that says that in the numbers.

There is also the point that the 'no talks' and 'no talks until he does time' may be overlapping or subsets... that isn't clear from the information given here.

For the retired observers, it really makes no difference who is in charge unless they raise minimum bank balance for a retirement visa, Then we will hear some real screaming. For those who work in Thailand, trusting him is not an option, as he as already caused a huge amount of damage.

Neither one of these guys is great. Thaksin could have been a legendary leader in Asia like most Hakkas, but he is small minded. The good general is absurdly silly, pushing an elitist agenda while tossing bananas at the media.

The fact is a significant number of Thais want the conversation to take place. That is what needs to be addressed. The general is afraid full stop. His mind is just not sharp enough.

Thaksin advises Cambodia on economic matters, and Cambodia may bloom this year in he wake of Thailand's problems.

Edited by yellowboat

If the Americans can sit down and make piece with the Japanese after the 2nd world war the I think it is possible for two parties that have wide differences regard less of who they are to sit down and negotiate a resolution to the strife that is here in Thailand

It has gone beyond he did he said he will he should to talks to gain a cohesive resolution Anything other than these talks and a comprehensive resolution will fail.

For the retired observers, it really makes no difference who is in charge unless they raise minimum bank balance for a retirement visa, Then we will hear some real screaming. For those who work in Thailand, trusting him is not an option, as he as already caused a huge amount of damage.

Neither one of these guys is great. Thaksin could have been a legendary leader in Asia like most Hakkas, but he is small minded. The good general is absurdly silly, pushing an elitist agenda while tossing bananas at the media.

The fact is a significant number of Thais want the conversation to take place. That is what needs to be addressed. The general is afraid full stop. His mind is just not sharp enough.

Thaksin advises Cambodia on economic matters, and Cambodia may bloom this year in he wake of Thailand's problems.

"For the retired observers, it really makes no difference who is in charge unless they raise minimum bank balance for a retirement visa, Then we will hear some real screaming."

I think the government has far bigger problems than tinkering with the requirements for extensions of stay of tens of thousands of retirees here. Any proposed raise in the bar will be met with "grandfathering" the already resident expats, as they have done before.

• Like 1

who cares? Neither one of them put the Thai people first.

Just another poll that doesn't make any difference to anyone.

Interesting, though, to see that there are still around 20% hard-core Thaksin haters out there...

You mean 22% of the people who actually think a convicted criminal should serve his sentence and face all the other 15 serious outstanding charges are Thaksin haters? Along with around 33% who don't think there should be talks with him?

That would be around 55% who don't like the idea of simply giving a crook a blanket amnesty whitewash.

Maybe they don't hate Thaksin - just want to see this very wealthy criminal brought to justice.

• Like 1

Aye, two cheeks of the same backside indeed, but the Thaivisa unholy trinity of You-Know-Which posters will never be persuaded...

I always thought Thaksin would be the one in the middle, using your metaphor.

"Thaksin advises Cambodia on economic matters"

I'm afraid that was just a very-short-lived experiment, which ended in August-2010, after only nine months.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/23/thaksin-shinawatra-quits-cambodia-role

"Lawyer Noppadol Pattama, who sometimes represents Thaksin, said the former prime minister had been travelling a lot on business and "didn't have time to dedicate to the responsibilities that accompanied the position"."

The article also reported that "The Cambodian government said Thaksin drew on his experience "to help Cambodia with competitiveness, especially in the fields of investment, tourism, commerce and agriculture", however it forgot to mention oil-interests, lack-of-space perhaps ?

But it was illustrated with a lovely picture of the man-of-the-people former-PM former-economic-adviser drinking a glass of champagne ! laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

So in fact there is not such an even divide as the headline would suggest for 35.57% said no talks and 22.09% said no talks without him coming back to do his time.

We all know he will never come back and do time so therefore 57.66% said no talks.

Heck that's an even bigger landslide than Yingluck got.

BS polls V democracy. very different.

What democracy??? Thaksin democracy??? You better read this declaration from Khun Thaksin.

"Democracy is not my goal"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

"Democracy is just a tool, not our goal."

But he then became a born-again believer in democracy, after being removed from the time-expired caretaker-PM's job, just before giving a speech at the U.N., who of course are not related to his father, or something similar ? wink.png .

Perhaps support for democracy depends, on whether one is in-power, or not ?

Or would that be cynical ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There's nothing to talk about.

Mr T is a convicted criminal facing further charges.

Mr. P can never face charges no matter the crime.

I admire your apparent ability, to foresee the future, do you have any recommendations for the next Thai-lottery draw ? whistling.gif

And I'd imagine that, at some point in his career, former-PM Thaksin also believed he was above being charged, happily that turned out to be mistaken.

Former-PM Abhisit was also charged, and former-PM Yingluck is due shortly to be charged, I sense a common thread here.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

Interesting, though, to see that there are still around 20% hard-core Thaksin haters out there...

Probably more like 50% Thaksin-lovers but, ho-hum.wai2.gif

Love him or hate him, he is one of very few that learnt about democracy!

He just did what democrats do all over the the world, identified a constituency, and then appealed to them by financial means.

The point being that, for the poorest in Thai society, there is no tax & benefit system, with which to bribe people.

500 Baht notes are the norm, rather than bribing people in the west with tax & spend.

The system is rotten-to -the-core in Thailand (The country that I love!).

Thaksin learned about democracy? Oh ! I thought he had an American degree in Criminology .

Lets face it, the country is likely to remain divided and un reconciled until it is accepted that regardless of the accusations, corruption and the many faults on both sides of the political dived they are all one of the same people.

Only conversation and or meetings that include all major power holders will provide a way forward, while they spend their time trying to dominate each other and control things only to suit their own agenda the country will remain divided.

Reconciliation does not come with a gun or monopolising power, it comes with dialogue, mutual respect, talking and power sharing.

Unfortunately I dont see this happening anytime soon and the loser will be as always, the common people.

Don't get too despairing. The common people are the Reds, it will take a good while, but they will eventually win out and Thailand will be on the way to first world status.

Edited by Plowman

If 57% are against talks with the criminal, how can so many claim his stooges will win the next election?

I forgot, any poll result that doesn't suit the agenda must be faked.

well, these groups like to poll things that don't matter and in which the people have no influence, but to properly read the polls, it is necessary to have more data.

You add up 2 numbers assuming that all who responded that there should be no talks are against Thaksin.

But there is nothing that says that in the numbers.

There is also the point that the 'no talks' and 'no talks until he does time' may be overlapping or subsets... that isn't clear from the information given here.

Really? In my logic the 2 are mutually exclusive, and "no talks until he does time" would be a subset of "talks", as it would be better expressed as "talks after he does time"

As the total of the 3 groups doesn't exceed 100%, I see no reason to assume it is a subset at all, but rather a 3rd option.

Strangest of all is how those who don't even want talks may actually be pro-Thaksin. Does that include those who want to see him in jail?

• Like 1

Lets face it, the country is likely to remain divided and un reconciled until it is accepted that regardless of the accusations, corruption and the many faults on both sides of the political dived they are all one of the same people.

Only conversation and or meetings that include all major power holders will provide a way forward, while they spend their time trying to dominate each other and control things only to suit their own agenda the country will remain divided.

Reconciliation does not come with a gun or monopolising power, it comes with dialogue, mutual respect, talking and power sharing.

Unfortunately I dont see this happening anytime soon and the loser will be as always, the common people.

Don't get too despairing. The common people are the Reds, it will take a good while, but they will eventually win out and Thailand will be on the way to first world status.

Certainly the 'reds' are mostly common people, but not all common people are reds. There are also other colours and even some who rather dump any established politician and start to be self-relient for themselves rather than fat cats.

BTW I assume you mean 'red-shirts' when you say 'reds'? Sorry to ask but being from a somewhat older generation I still remember 'common people' being red and living in worker's paradises. Allegedly that is.

Probably more like 50% Thaksin-lovers but, ho-hum.wai2.gif

He just did what democrats do all over the the world, identified a constituency, and then appealed to them by financial means.

The point being that, for the poorest in Thai society, there is no tax & benefit system, with which to bribe people.

500 Baht notes are the norm, rather than bribing people in the west with tax & spend.

Thaksin learned about democracy? Oh ! I thought he had an American degree in Criminology .

No, he knew what democracy was about. This enabled him to be the only democratically elected (probably with outside, EU election observers) PM in Thai history! He was also re-elected! Let us start from a point where most pols, whether in UK,US, or Thailand are bent. See the news from London in the last few days. Also, see how unusually wealthy so many US politicians are!!

No, he knew what democracy was about. This enabled him to be the only democratically elected (probably with outside, EU election observers) PM in Thai history! He was also re-elected! Let us start from a point where most pols, whether in UK,US, or Thailand are bent. See the news from London in the last few days. Also, see how unusually wealthy so many US politicians are!!

Absolutely. Thaksin knew how to abuse the system. He simply bought smaller parties with promises in 2001.

• Like 1