Do i really need a certificate

masiu

you need at least a degree from arecognised and accredited university, also a TEFL or TESOL cert will help,most schools only accept native english speakers and you also need a police CRB check and letter,this can sometimes be asked for when you apply for your non b visa

Hello!

Here are the documents that you'd need to apply for a Non-B visa as a teacher.

1. A graduation certificate from your university

2. An academic transcript from your university

3. A police clearance

4. A TOEIC Test score

*As for ‘3,’ you have to go to the headquarters of Royal Thai Police in Bangkok

(close to MBK) to apply for one and to go back there a month later to pick it up

IN PERSON if you do need to submit it,

**As for ‘4,’ you need a TOEIC score of at least 600 out of 990 if you’re NOT from

The USA, Canada, The UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. The South Africans

do need one.

Edited by Too

Hello everyone I wonder if I really need a certification to teach in Thailand , can I get a job without one ?

Thank you everyone

Do you mean the provisional teaching permit issued by The Teachers' Council of Thailand?

If so, yes, you need one when you're directly employed by basic education schools.

• Like 1

You will absolutely need a bachelors and a teaching waiver from the Thai govt.

Assuming you can perform in a class, you do not need a TEFL or any other sort of paper awarded to you for listening to some joker ramble on for 120 hours. Have or not, you will not be paid a satang more. If you are white, NES you will have exact same job prospects in the north.

If you are simply looking for a bog standard 30k per month job, all of the agencies will hire you if you otherwise are hireable, meaning not having said toilet tissue is no barrier to entry.

Of course, those that teach the course and have wasted their money will tell you otherwise. They are proud of such marginal achievements in their lives.

Amortized over two years a b50k course will rob you of ten percent of your gross income on a ten month contract. If you leave teaching in a year its twenty percent.

Now deduct clothing, visas, transport, etc... (not food and rent) what are you left with?

Here is some dirty math:

30 -5k = 25k (ten mos) 250k, eleven month contract = 23,500. If you factor only clothes, visas (which all make you pay at least initial), visa run and transport. You will have saved nothing over the year, in fact you WILL be in the hole. If you are paid anything less than 30k, you are well upside down.

23k is a breakeven point in Bangkok. That means no restaurants or nitelife, companionship once a month. Western food forget it unless its hotdogs and bread. This would allow you a few L of booze to drink in your tiny, hot apartment, alone. It will allow basic dentistry cleaning.

If you ask on TV not as a teacher, but say...I'm coming to live in Thailand for three years on a budget of <US800 you will be laughed off the forum. Also living upcountry is NOT cheaper, it is at best the same costs.

Of course non of this accounts for your plane ticket in or out unlime China, Korea, Taiwan or Japan. This is out of pocket.

So you see, teaching here is a finsncial loss regardless of that absolutely meaningless piece of paper.

Tbis is when the fraudsters chime in and say yes, well...Thailand is a lifestyle choice. Run.

Edited by Mencken
  • Like 1

Assuming you can perform in a class, you do not need a TEFL or any other sort of paper awarded to you for listening to some joker ramble on for 120 hours. Have or not, you will not be paid a satang more. If you are white, NES you will have exact same job prospects in the north.

If you are simply looking for a bog standard 30k per month job, all of the agencies will hire you if you otherwise are hireable, meaning not having said toilet tissue is no barrier to entry.

Of course, those that teach the course and have wasted their money will tell you otherwise. They are proud of such marginal achievements in their lives.

Amortized over two years a b50k course will rob you of ten percent of your gross income on a ten month contract. If you leave teaching in a year its twenty percent.

Now deduct clothing, visas, transport, etc... (not food and rent) what are you left with?

Here is some dirty math:

30 -5k = 25k (ten mos) 250k, eleven month contract = 23,500. If you factor only clothes, visas (which all make you pay at least initial), visa run and transport. You will have saved nothing over the year, in fact you WILL be in the hole. If you are paid anything less than 30k, you are well upside down.

23k is a breakeven point in Bangkok. That means no restaurants or nitelife, companionship once a month. Western food forget it unless its hotdogs and bread. This would allow you a few L of booze to drink in your tiny, hot apartment, alone. It will allow basic dentistry cleaning.

If you ask on TV not as a teacher, but say...I'm coming to live in Thailand for three years on a budget of <US800 you will be laughed off the forum. Also living upcountry is NOT cheaper, it is at best the same costs.

Of course non of this accounts for your plane ticket in or out unlime China, Korea, Taiwan or Japan. This is out of pocket.

So you see, teaching here is a finsncial loss regardless of that absolutely meaningless piece of paper.

Tbis is when the fraudsters chime in and say yes, well...Thailand is a lifestyle choice. Run.

Upcountry is not cheaper than Bangkok????? Drivel.

• Like 1

Hello everyone I wonder if I really need a certification to teach in Thailand , can I get a job without one ?

Thank you everyone

Do you mean the provisional teaching permit issued by The Teachers' Council of Thailand?

If so, yes, you need one when you're directly employed by basic education schools.

Dear Sir Aidenai,

You already seem to be too used to Thai culture and self sufficient ethics. As an honored member of the Windmill fighting team, you shouldn't answer questions by asking questions.

The OP was asking for advise and I truly believe that he/she deserves an honest answer and not yet another impertinent question to answer.

Dear OP,please try to be better than the guy on the picture, because that's basically what you'll be dealing with. With, or without degree.

post-158336-0-42608300-1424682939_thumb.

Here is some dirty math:

Also living upcountry is NOT cheaper, it is at best the same costs. facepalm.gif

If upcountry includes the Northeast, which is 33. something % of this country, you're defensively wrong.

We live in a villa for 4 K a month cold, with two carports, a bathroom in our master bedroom, etc... that would be at least 10 K+ in Bangkok.

And food, clothes, or anything else is cheaper here in the northeast. Even exotic short time events with Morlam entertainment for free wai2.gif

Where both of you are mistaken is that you get more upcountry, but the costs are the same. This is not the same, the cash layout is the same.

Often, a teacher would be forced into a home which would be at least the same price as a decent flat in CM snd even Bangkok.It is not ez to find apts in many, many of these places and singles are often forced into houses (and lose deposits!). Houses are at least 4k, absolute minimum - if one can be found. Therefore staff and others are enlisted to help and these peopke need to be paid for locatong said teavher a house - so its minimum 5k imo. That's a decent little flat in the city.

Also, its not fair to compare what you have lucked into after years of living innan area compared to what some wet teacher fronts up and needs to accept - maybe even forced into on the spot.

I have great Internet in my apt. All I can eat for few hundred baht. Upcountry you have pkg for 6-700b or $$$ mobile.

Next, you need a scooter. Over a ten month pay period, 2.5k month plus benzine. I estimate this being 2x expensive as BKK and even more in a place you could take a songtaew or two to get to school (CM). That's just to school. You'll need the scooter to go everywhere $$ - and they are dangerous. This is the largest and often overlooked expense.

You certainly get more food upcountry, but from my experience, the price is the same. So unless you are arguing - but hey, you only need eat 2x at day instead of three, its weak. Any savings for average new teacher would be a few baht per day anyway.

Then you have salaries which apparently are 10-20% lower. Not in all cases but in many.

Alcohol is the same everywhere. 7-11 same. I don't wear Issan clothes lol ☺

...unlike my wife, I do enjoy a good Morlam gig.

Edited by Mencken

Where both of you are mistaken is that you get more upcountry, but the costs are the same. This is not the same, the cash layout is the same.

Often, a teacher would be forced into a home which would be at least the same price as a decent flat in CM snd even Bangkok.It is not ez to find apts in many, many of these places and singles are often forced into houses (and lose deposits!). Houses are at least 4k, absolute minimum - if one can be found. Therefore staff and others are enlisted to help and these peopke need to be paid for locatong said teavher a house - so its minimum 5k imo. That's a decent little flat in the city.

Also, its not fair to compare what you have lucked into after years of living innan area compared to what some wet teacher fronts up and needs to accept - maybe even forced into on the spot.

I have great Internet in my apt. All I can eat for few hundred baht. Upcountry you have pkg for 6-700b or $$$ mobile.

Next, you need a scooter. Over a ten month pay period, 2.5k month plus benzine. I estimate this being 2x expensive as BKK and even more in a place you could take a songtaew or two to get to school (CM). That's just to school. You'll need the scooter to go everywhere $$ - and they are dangerous. This is the largest and often overlooked expense.

You certainly get more food upcountry, but from my experience, the price is the same. So unless you are arguing - but hey, you only need eat 2x at day instead of three, its weak. Any savings for average new teacher would be a few baht per day anyway.

Then you have salaries which apparently are 10-20% lower. Not in all cases but in many.

I don't need a scooter and have lived in Isarn for many years. I wouldn't be foolish enough to ride a scooter - deadly. Buy a car.

• Like 2

I don't need a scooter and have lived in Isarn for many years. I wouldn't be foolish enough to ride a scooter - deadly. Buy a car.

Agreed. Didn't drive our 110 cc Yamaha, that we've bought 13 years ago, but still in a decent shape, for months now.

It's not just the traffic and the incompetent drivers. Riding on a Scooter in the rainy season isn't really funny.

Buy a good pick up, I reckon a used Mitsu L 200 to have space for all the relatives and Mia Nois. .bah.gif

Upcountry is not as expensive as Bangkok. Simple. Why do you think there is no public transport in Issan? Why do you think it is difficult to find an apartment? Any newbie can do this. Most towns around have an expat community and likely a meeting place. Roll up there and start asking questions. I have lived in both Bangkok and Up country. I know the differences.

• Like 1

Can you get a job without any qualifications? - Probably, especially if you look for jobs in rural areas

Will that job be legal & provide a work permit? - Probably not

Can you get a visa for an illegal job? - Probably not by legal means

Can you stay in the country without a visa? - For a while, but not indefinitely

With this in mind, you'll likely end up finding a job, getting settled in, then find that you're not able to get a visa, and thus can't stay in the country (Or at least not without constantly fearing deportation).

If of course you can get a visa by other means (marriage etc), then you might be able to make something work. As there are grey areas, and often the Department of Labour will sign off on people working as "Teaching Assistants" etc, even though immigration won't sign off on it (Teaching assistants don't require teaching licences, and thus don't need a degree in order to teach).

In regards to the cost of living in rural areas vs urban. Rural areas are often areas of compulsory saving, because you have no fancy shops and restaurants at which to spend your money on. The base cost of living isn't necessarily that much different though.

e.g. You can find apartments/houses for 3k in rural areas, and the same applies to most cities and the outer suburbs of Bangkok, likewise both have small restaurants with 30-40 THB meals, you just might need to look a little harder in urban areas, since there are so many more expensive ones as well.

In response to the OP, yes. But depends on where you are. In the far North East (nong khai, tha bo, sri Chiang mai, Chiang khan, loei) you can still find work as a teacher with no qualifications. Most will be able to offer a visa and work permit. Companies like SINE that are expanding their business into this region have a difficult time in recruiting anybody. Pay will be less as they know the game and will screw you any chance they can. However it is possible to earn less than 25,000 baht and still have fun. Even if you have never been upcountry before the Thai teachers are very helpful (in most cases I have found) in assisting in finding accommodations, transportation etc.

Good luck if you decide to try it. Worst case you commit to a year, you will have some fun, meet some interesting people, and laugh about the experience with other seasoned professionals after you are done!

• Like 1