Z800 vs 650 F

bealus

Since they changed the design of the head lamp amongst other things it looks so much better, and I have no question it's a very suitable touring bike. But not the kind of bike I am after; have fun driving it!

Driving uh? I ride my bikes and drive my truckwink.png

But the Versys 650 is a very fun and rewarding bike to ride, the more the road twist the funnier it gets and it can keep up with most bikes on really twisted roads (depending of rider, obviously).

The good thing about it, is that you can push it almost to the limit sometimes, even on Thai roads and still doing it safely.

How much of the power on a 1000cc sports bike can you use on a public road and doing it safely?

Not many 1000cc sports bike owners can utilize all the power from such a powerful bike, many crash trying, they are simply not good enough riders and the trick is to use restraint and only really opening it up when safely to do so.

Okay okay a bike with lots of power is fun to ride, I had a go on a Ducati Hyperstrada and what a blast to ridewub.png

I hear where you are coming from. In fact, I push my Versys a lot harder than I do my Ninja and I probably average a higher speed on it as well. Somehow, knowing that it does not have insane HP lets you get a bit freer with it, if you know what I mean.

Having said that, the adrenaline rush of getting from 80 kph to 160 kph in 3rd gear in the space of a few seconds brings a smile to your face that can only be replicated by one other activity that I indulge in.

Knitting?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ Bealus - "Think I answered it somewhere in one of my threads, but I estimate using the bike 80% commuter-wise, 15% mid range distance and 5% a long distance travel."

To get back on topic I'd say given your intended use the CB650 is probably better value, although a 2nd hand less than a year old FZ09 could be tempting. FZ09 has a more motard style upright seating position which is great for commuting. No ABS though, although maybe that's mitigated by a sub 3 second 0-60 mph time whistling.gif

But seeing as how your original question was Z800 or CB650, get the 650 and party hard with the money you saved.

Lot of interesting posts about bikes actually in my price range. I was surprised that ergonomics have not really come into it, except for the odd sore arse, given the advanced age of a lot of expats. 0-62 (or 0-100 in Thai money) times reads like a throwback to the English bike mags of thirty years ago. The Honda sounds ok to me (pushing 60, old leg injuries). Bland maybe compared to my old SP2 in England, but as somebody maybe once said " In the kingdom of the sub-125cc step-through, the man with more than 500cc is king.

@ Bealus - "Think I answered it somewhere in one of my threads, but I estimate using the bike 80% commuter-wise, 15% mid range distance and 5% a long distance travel."

To get back on topic I'd say given your intended use the CB650 is probably better value, although a 2nd hand less than a year old FZ09 could be tempting. FZ09 has a more motard style upright seating position which is great for commuting. No ABS though, although maybe that's mitigated by a sub 3 second 0-60 mph time whistling.gif

But seeing as how your original question was Z800 or CB650, get the 650 and party hard with the money you saved.

You're in line with other members who also suggested to either save the money or get a lot of modifications on the CB 650(like ohlins, akrapovic, pirelli's etc). Spending the money and party hard,

well life is short and the suggestion well takenthumbsup.gif

Lot of interesting posts about bikes actually in my price range. I was surprised that ergonomics have not really come into it, except for the odd sore arse, given the advanced age of a lot of expats. 0-62 (or 0-100 in Thai money) times reads like a throwback to the English bike mags of thirty years ago. The Honda sounds ok to me (pushing 60, old leg injuries). Bland maybe compared to my old SP2 in England, but as somebody maybe once said " In the kingdom of the sub-125cc step-through, the man with more than 500cc is king.

Naturally I didn't only ride both the Honda and the Kawa, but read a lot of reviews too and in many of them ergonomics was a criterion, often as the ultimate reference of ergonomics and handling

the Triumph Street triple ® was mentioned.

But way out of my price-rangesad.png

Today by chance(the wife visiting a nearby shopping mallblink.png )visited the Kawa Motoaholic dealer in BKK again. As it happens I could test-ride the new Vulcan S; no I'm not going off topic and add another bike or change my preferences.

Just wanted to share my "experience" after a 15 minutes drive in BKK, luckily not restricted to the parking lot.

The Vulcan S has 650 CC too and the engine was for the greater part derived from the Ninja and ER 6-N, and being a cruiser type the ergonomics were comfy(Kawa advertises with ergo-fit; different seats and positions of the pegs with no extra cost involved. The dealer TIT had no knowledge of it). The smoothness of the engine was remarkable, but the "oomph-feeling" was missing.

I'd also like to share some extra pictures I shot at Honda Big Wing the other day; this time two co-suppliers of Honda, MUGEN and MORIWAKI, got their hands on the CB 650. Judge for yourself, also a picture of the star-trek designed NM4. And last but not least an "exploded" view of the engine of the CB 650:

post-177377-0-71238400-1424958593_thumb.

post-177377-0-13063800-1424958640_thumb.

post-177377-0-94641700-1424958675_thumb.

post-177377-0-24946600-1424958757_thumb.

Hm not sure I like the Mugen mod. So far I have actually seen no modded CB650F that looks better to me than the standard tricolor apart from a tail tidy.

Saw a Vultus on the street today, looks pretty ridicolous. The rider also looked like an idiot (no helmet, sandals, blocking traffic to chat with friends in the car next lane...) :)

There's a guy on Craigslist asking 385,000 for a 2012 Z1000 with a whole load of mods.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4876890398.html

There's also an FZ09 for 375,000 (has to be less than a year old since 1st Thai deliveries took place in May 2014).

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4899501119.html

The same bike just showed up on TV Classifieds.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804754-kawasaki-z1000-2012-great-condition-price-reduced/#entry9133088

There's a guy on Craigslist asking 385,000 for a 2012 Z1000 with a whole load of mods.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4876890398.html

There's also an FZ09 for 375,000 (has to be less than a year old since 1st Thai deliveries took place in May 2014).

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4899501119.html

The same bike just showed up on TV Classifieds.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804754-kawasaki-z1000-2012-great-condition-price-reduced/#entry9133088

@Shurup&BKKBike09: Thanks for the info; will get in touch with them!

• 4 months later...

I have now had my CB650F for about 3 months, and i am in love. I always was a little fearful driving in the mountains with the older CB400F but i am very confident and loving the turns more and more each day!!

I feel i have very good control and the bike just responds. I am very happy with it, i drive it up here in the mountains in Mae Sot.

I have been in Bangkok a lot more lately and instead of sitting in traffic in my truck, i was getting jealous of all the big bikes passing me ... and the area i am in there seems to be a lot of big bikes, i am on the outskirts so still plenty of road to ride on.

I have been debating for the past few weeks what to get for down there. I almost made my mind up for the Z800 until i read this post and went down to actually test it last week in NakonSawan.

I am not going to get it for now. There are 2 new models coming out from Honda from what i have heard but i could be wrong, a 800 CBF and perhaps even 1000?

I will say the Honda is great, i got the CB650F Black mat and it has been just a real winner. after the initial 1000KM for the first oil change, it really starts to preform well and reliable. The tires have great traction, the ABS works like a charm.

I spent a lot of time getting myself familiar with the bike, doing all the training in car parks at the airport or up on the deserted ghost town. Getting use to slamming on both front and back brakes at the same time was hard for me, but you need that practice. I recently have been also training in the rain (it seems it will not stop raining here yet the whole country needs water?? yes all the rain here ends up in Myanmar sad.png )

So for me, i have been debating a lot before i bought the CB650F and i was wondering if perhaps i made a mistake. I am happy to report, i am still very happy with my bike!!

I have decided to truck it up and down for now and try it out in Bangkok before i choose to buy another Honda or Kawa... I am interested to see what the 800 will be like.

For the Kawa, Z800 here are some of the things that turned me away;

- Heavier than the Honda, getting out in some places might be harder, CB650 not a factor even pushing out uphill.

- Balance to me was not as good. on the honda i can control extremely slow without any wobbling, of course this is skill of driver but on the honda i feel like a pro, on the kawa i felt like a new rider.

- The fact that its still basically the same Z from 3 years... i would like to see an update before i proceed

- didn't like leaning into turns like i do on the Honda, perhaps just me not use to it yet....

- seat and riding position seemed a little tiring even after a short 20 mins of testing. The honda i take for 2 hour rides and except for the first few rides when i was tense, very comfortable. again.. very subjective like some of the above.

What i loved

- it looked wicked! It sounded bad! It was a nice looking and sounding bike that would turn heads!

- Loved the BIG FAT back tire

- Power,.. especially when on open road and going 0-160 for testing sake

- Overall looks, in my opinion it looks nicer than the CB

Edited by Maesotthailand