Z800 vs 650 F

bealus

So track day boys, which of these two bikes handles the track better and sets the faster times? I'm interested to know if the more sporty 650 beats the naked Z800.

And here are the results(from a German Biker Magazine, so to me pretty reliable):

Beschleunigung= Acceleration

Durchzug letzter Gang= Acceleration in highest(6 th. gear)

Z800

Beschleunigung

0-100 3,3 sec

0-140 5,7 sec

0-200 14,0 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60-100 3,8 sec

100-140 4,1 sec

140-180 4,8 sec

Honda CB 650 F

Beschleunigung

0–100 km/h 3,8 sec

0–140 km/h 6,7 sec

0–200 km/h 21,2 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60–100 km/h 4,8 sec

100–140 km/h 5,8 sec

140–180 km/h 8,8 sec

So from 0-200 the Z800 is 7(!) seconds faster, and in the more usuable range from 100-140 in 6 th. gear the Z800 is 1.7 seconds faster.

Hope this answered your question!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So track day boys, which of these two bikes handles the track better and sets the faster times? I'm interested to know if the more sporty 650 beats the naked Z800.

And here are the results(from a German Biker Magazine, so to me pretty reliable):

Z800

Beschleunigung

0-100 3,3 sec

0-140 5,7 sec

0-200 14,0 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60-100 3,8 sec

100-140 4,1 sec

140-180 4,8 sec

Honda CB 650 F

Beschleunigung

0–100 km/h 3,8 sec

0–140 km/h 6,7 sec

0–200 km/h 21,2 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60–100 km/h 4,8 sec

100–140 km/h 5,8 sec

140–180 km/h 8,8 sec

So from 0-200 the Z800 is 7(!) seconds faster, and in the more usuable range from 100-140 in 6 th. gear the Z800 is 1.7 seconds faster.

Thanks but this is in a straight line right? I'm asking about which of the 2 bikes generally performs better on the track. Yes the Z800 has more power but the CBR is lighter with presumably better handing around the corners.

Z800

Beschleunigung

0-100 3,3 sec

0-140 5,7 sec

0-200 14,0 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60-100 3,8 sec

100-140 4,1 sec

140-180 4,8 sec

Honda CB 650 F

Beschleunigung

0–100 km/h 3,8 sec

0–140 km/h 6,7 sec

0–200 km/h 21,2 sec

Durchzug letzter Gang

60–100 km/h 4,8 sec

100–140 km/h 5,8 sec

140–180 km/h 8,8 sec

Thanks but this is in a straight line right? I'm asking about which of the 2 bikes generally performs better on the track. Yes the Z800 has more power but the CBR is lighter with presumably better handing around the corners.

Yes, you are correct these performance-figures were measured and obtained in a straight line. Could not find comparable figures for results on (racing) tracks, sorry.

you got it wrong.

i was speaking in layman terms and crank hp just to clear it easier as kawa also stated as crank hp by OP.

hard to get 20 percent increase but 10 - 15 percent is doable.

So take 86 crack hp and add 15 percent increase and you have a close to 100 crank hp bike.

or lets say cb650f is making 79 rwhp from 86 crank hp and add both 15 percent and you reach a 90 rwhp bike or a 100 crank hp bike again.

What lay person is going to guesstimate the BHP rather than what a RWHP dyno says? What % of driveline loss are they going to go with? Dyno testing is already fraught with differences, barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, tester, etc. that it's darn near just a guess anyways.

@bealus

I looked back at your OP but you don't state the sort of riding that you like.

Are you planning on using the bike as a daily commuter? Or for weekend blasts? Or long distance touring?

My view is that the best fit for the above three scenarios are three completely different bikes (Honda, either model, Z800, Versys).

Is fuel consumption an issue? My guess is that the Z800 would be the thirstiest with the Versys and Honda being same same.

Is ABS important? The Z800 is sans ABS.

Head turn factor. Honda will have to come in last (forget about what our resident fanboy ll2 says). Most non bikers (and more importantly girls) would not know the difference between a CBR 150 and a CB650F. A Versys decked out with driving HID lights, Barkbusters, engine guards etc is as macho as it gets (unless you start getting into Multistrada territory).

@bealus

Are you planning on using the bike as a daily commuter? Or for weekend blasts? Or long distance touring?

My view is that the best fit for the above three scenarios are three completely different bikes (Honda, either model, Z800, Versys).

Is fuel consumption an issue? My guess is that the Z800 would be the thirstiest with the Versys and Honda being same same.

Head turn factor. Honda will have to come in last (forget about what our resident fanboy ll2 says). Most non bikers (and more importantly girls) would not know the difference between a CBR 150 and a CB650F. A Versys decked out with driving HID lights, Barkbusters, engine guards etc is as macho as it gets (unless you start getting into Multistrada territory).

But that headlamp....

@bealus

But that headlamp....

Charm's in it's ugliness. Ever heard of Gerard Depardieu?

Jim (ytm!)

lighter bikes have some advantages on a track.

i never rode z800 on a track but for a new rider on a track, cbr650f is better.

@bealus

versys?

it looks like it is the child of a deviant love between a horse and a xerox machinebiggrin.png

cb650f looks cool IMO and lets say much more better than a versys.

also for fun factor, it is in the eye of beholder. a good rider can have a lot of fun even on a honda wave.

@bealus

But that headlamp....

Charm's in it's ugliness. Ever heard of Gerard Depardieu?

Jim (ytm!)

Never check out guys....

versys?

it looks like it is the child of a deviant love between a horse and a xerox machinebiggrin.png

also for fun factor, it is in the eye of beholder. a good rider can have a lot of fun even on a honda wave.

I fell just opposite you, don't like the look of the cbr650 too much but like my V 2015 very much both in looks and riding position and fun all around ride.

Sue me if you wantwink.png

well looks like OP wants a sportier ride so the V is likely not a bike for him but perfect for an old bastard like me.

versys?

I fell just opposite you, don't like the look of the cbr650 too much but like my V 2015 very much both in looks and riding position and fun all around ride.

well looks like OP wants a sportier ride so the V is likely not a bike for him but perfect for an old bastard like me.

I concur. You can pack on a lot more distance more comfortably with ADV-esque bikes. And they're usually tuned more towards the midrange for power. But we're getting away from what it seems the OP was asking about which is apparently bad.

versys?

dont get it wrong guzzi!

new versys looks great i think and kawa did a good job this time. It looks sometime better than multistrada at some rare angles imo.

i was talking about the xerox/horse version of versys, the old onebiggrin.png

versys?

dont get it wrong guzzi!

new versys looks great i think and kawa did a good job this time. It looks sometime better than multistrada at some rare angles imo.

ll2,

That's it loser. You've overstepped the line here.

My Versys is taking legal advice as we speak for defaming his heritage. His dad's a Canon and mum's a donkey (not your insulting Xerox/horse mix)

Stay tuned.

Oh, and take care out there....whistling.gif

versys?

dont get it wrong guzzi!

ll2,

My Versys is taking legal advice as we speak for defaming his heritage. His dad's a Canon and mum's a donkey (not your insulting Xerox/horse mix)

Stay tuned.

Is your Versys sterile like a mule?

versys?

dont get it wrong guzzi!

ll2,

Stay tuned.

hahass, i am sure you are also looking for me around Bangkok to beat my a...s....s?

From an acceleration standpoint, ~3.1sec vs 3.4sec to 60mph/100kph is a very significant (and obvious on the street) difference. I tried to find 1/4 mile times for the Z800, but couldn't locate the numbers. If winning the 'stoplight derby' interests you (and I've always found that being able to easily stay ahead of traffic is safer on the road), the Z800 is the better choice. I'm very biased toward horsepower, though...wink.png

Could not find the figures for the 1/4 mile either; but count me in as being biased toolaugh.png

i've never met any cb650f on the redlight but few cbr650f and always outran them by a good distance, ofc things get not so well over 150 km/h but naked bikes aren't made for high speed cruising anyways.

i've installed a quickshifter on my z800 and its a rocket now. still gonna sell it to my friend next month as i already ordered the 899.

my advice as soon ex-z800 owner is to get the cb650f and spend the money for new pirellis , quickshifter(optional but very recommend), a good exhaust and cosmetics

If the z800 would have ABS i'd never have given it up. If you can do hard braking with confidence and know how to not lock your front wheel then the z800 is a good choice

Yes, too bad in many countries outside of Thailand, ABS on the Z800 is either an option or even standard

The 800 is definitely faster than my Er6n but it is a bit to heavy . The 1000 is a better option & only 20 more kilos dry weight than the 800. I would like it more if they used the same frame materials on the 800 to lighten it up to what the weight really should be. The 650 Honda looks really nice. I haven't tried it yet. But what I would really like to do is send one of my 1000cc or 1100 cc engines up from the states & mount it in (with frame reinforcments) that way I would have the nimbleness of the 650 & lots of extra power. However that with the funky laws up here is never gonna happen! sad.png

And I thought understatement was the privilege of the Britishsmile.png

@bealus

Think I answered it somewhere in one of my threads, but I estimate using the bike 80% commuter-wise, 15% mid range distance and 5% a long distance travel. As the total annual mileage would not be shocking and looking at the current oil-prices, fuel consumption in my case is not the top priority.

Can't understand why the Z800 does not have ABS in LOS but does in many other countries.

Never owned a bike before with ABS though and still fear that if you do make an emergency stop with ABS equipped bike, it still trips over??

Maybe someone can clarify this out of own experience?

@bealus

versys?

a crossover between a horse and a xerox machine.....is your creativity proportional enhanced with the number of beers you drink; or were you born as a natural talent?biggrin.png

versys?

Since they changed the design of the head lamp amongst other things it looks so much better, and I have no question it's a very suitable touring bike. But not the kind of bike I am after; have fun driving it!

versys?

I concur. You can pack on a lot more distance more comfortably with ADV-esque bikes. And they're usually tuned more towards the midrange for power. But we're getting away from what it seems the OP was asking about which is apparently bad.

Yep, ADV-esque bikes are not what I"m looking for(at the moment)

hahass, i am sure you are also looking for me around Bangkok to beat my a...s....s?

a...s....s = Always Super Slow?

Good to see amongst bikers we can have different opinions, but still keep the humor and irony without flaming or sarcastic remarks. Can't say that for all other items posted on TV.

a...s....s = Always Super Slow?

Good to see amongst bikers we can have different opinions, but still keep the humor and irony without flaming or sarcastic remarks. Can't say that for all other items posted on TV.

yeah...usually I'm not so nice...but I've been told I have to watch my mother <self deleted>ing pie hole as apparently it causes some <self deleted> holes with sticks the size of a god <self deleted>ed log to go ahead and <self deleted> their pants because their <self deleted> start crying...and it's not their time of month for that. I say they can go <self deleted> themselves.

Since they changed the design of the head lamp amongst other things it looks so much better, and I have no question it's a very suitable touring bike. But not the kind of bike I am after; have fun driving it!

Driving uh? I ride my bikes and drive my truckwink.png

But the Versys 650 is a very fun and rewarding bike to ride, the more the road twist the funnier it gets and it can keep up with most bikes on really twisted roads (depending of rider, obviously).

The good thing about it, is that you can push it almost to the limit sometimes, even on Thai roads and still doing it safely.

How much of the power on a 1000cc sports bike can you use on a public road and doing it safely?

Not many 1000cc sports bike owners can utilize all the power from such a powerful bike, many crash trying, they are simply not good enough riders and the trick is to use restraint and only really opening it up when safely to do so.

Okay okay a bike with lots of power is fun to ride, I had a go on a Ducati Hyperstrada and what a blast to ridewub.png

Driving uh? I ride my bikes and drive my truckwink.png

But the Versys 650 is a very fun and rewarding bike to ride, the more the road twist the funnier it gets and it can keep up with most bikes on really twisted roads (depending of rider, obviously).

The good thing about it, is that you can push it almost to the limit sometimes, even on Thai roads and still doing it safely.

How much of the power on a 1000cc sports bike can you use on a public road and doing it safely?

Not many 1000cc sports bike owners can utilize all the power from such a powerful bike, many crash trying, they are simply not good enough riders and the trick is to use restraint and only really opening it up when safely to do so.

Okay okay a bike with lots of power is fun to ride, I had a go on a Ducati Hyperstrada and what a blast to ridewub.png

I hear where you are coming from. In fact, I push my Versys a lot harder than I do my Ninja and I probably average a higher speed on it as well. Somehow, knowing that it does not have insane HP lets you get a bit freer with it, if you know what I mean.

Having said that, the adrenaline rush of getting from 80 kph to 160 kph in 3rd gear in the space of a few seconds brings a smile to your face that can only be replicated by one other activity that I indulge in.

Archived