The Best truck for under 650K? Please help!

zeekgarcia

I am trying to figure out which is the best truck on the market for 650K or less, 2015-2011, 4-door, automatic, diesel, but some truck brands have different engines like the Toyota has 2.5 & 3.0 in years 2011-2015 so I do not know which engine is better?

Which brand has:
1. The best quality record?
2. Cheapest maintenance cost?
3. Cheap repair cost, etc?
4. Which brands have to get parts shipped into Thailand to repair their trucks? As I have heard of some people having to wait weeks for their dealer to get parts shipped in to fix their vehicles, which is not good.
5. Which trucks have some get up and go to it when needed?

6. Any thing else to look out for?

I do not plan on doing off roading so it does not have to be 4wd.

We are wanting a truck according to the above that has around 80,000 kilometers or less, if one has service records the better, but it must not be color white or black.

I have been looking at taladrod.com, chiangmai2car.com, cm2cars.com, fast2car.com, thaicar.com, bahtsold.com, one2car.com, olx.com, cmusedcar.com, classifieds.thaivisa.com

any other good sites to look at?

Thanks so much for your help.

Interesting comment about Isuzu ... when using the recommended 10W-30 oil I noticed that additional diesel rattle for a few seconds at first start up in the day. After I changed to 5W-40 (Mobile 1 for Diesel Pickups) I didn't have that initial extra rattle anymore. I notice recently that Isuzu have started offering a 5W-40 fully synthetic oil. I think that the choice of oil maybe important ....

• Like 2

1. The best quality record?
2. Cheapest maintenance cost?
3. Cheap repair cost, etc?
4. Which brands have to get parts shipped into Thailand to repair their trucks? As I have heard of some people having to wait weeks for their dealer to get parts shipped in to fix their vehicles, which is not good.
5. Which trucks have some get up and go to it when needed?

6. Any thing else to look out for?

1. In the period of years quoted, Toyota have taken more JD Power quality survey wins in the 3 pickup segments than anyone else. Isuzu a close 2nd, Mitsu wins one of the categories every now and then.

2. Most are about the same for the most common maintenance items.

3. Again, about the same.

4. None are assembled from 100% Thai made parts. Toyota, Isuzu, and Mitsubishi probably have the highest % of locally made content though. Don't quote me on that though - component sources can/do change.

5. None of them ;) In the year ranges you're quoting, the 3.0L Toyota, Isuzu and Chev, the 2.5L Mitsubishi, the top-spec 2.5L Navara, and the 3.2L Mazda and Ford are all about the same, and noticeably more powerful than their lower-spec engined counterparts. The Toyota 3.0L is definitely the most responsive off the line, and has the least turbo lag. The Mitsu probably takes the title of overall fastest, based on favorable power:weight. Overall, there's not much in it.

6. Yes. In 2011 there was major flooding in BKK, so pay extra attention to models of this vintage. When buying used, always, always look at the service log books to determine if 1) the car was actually serviced properly, 2) that the service stamp and the odometer reading correlate. Also, make sure you understand who the actual owner is (may not be the seller) and don't pay until the blue book (tabien rot) is in your name.

• Like 2

The Nissan LE 4WD does have a 174 HP engine in some - 6 speed manual, but you have to keep stirring the box to keep in it in power band, an auto might be better. However I'm not sure that was available in 2WD.

the 3 litre Toyota had about the same output - (little less) but a broader power band.

If you check the specs you'll find a few with 170 hp or more....now that appears to be the norm.

my experience of driving Isuzu's has given me the impression that they are more akin to a boat than a road-going vehicle

Edited by cumgranosalum

I would go for Mazda BT-50 turbo 2.5. My son is a car dealer in New Zealand and came over with his family he had it for couple weeks traveling and said it was the best truck he has ever driven. Look on line for Apple Auctions they have many Auctions over Thailand most are bank snatch backs huge range.

• Like 1

Here is the pricing on all cars and trucks in Thailand. http://carpricepost.com/

I don't find a lot of difference between the trucks. I think a nearly new one of any of them would work. They all use the same turbo charged 4 cylinder engine. Remember that first kilometer you drive out of the new dealer showroom, is the most expensive trip you'll take. Lot of repos around.

If you look at ex Chevy you get an much newer car for the buck compare if you buy Toyota.
I have an Colorado Z71 and are very pleased with it, very comfortable to drive long rides.

You can get an 2014 for that money with the nice 2.8 L engine with 6AM.

I would never buy a car with only 5 gears, big difference compared to 6..

Toyota have the best resale value, which suggests that they are a). popular, B). reliable. c). relatively economical to run/maintain.

(the old model Tiger is for some reason (style? Build quality?) sought after and really has an absurdly high resale value.

Most car companies these days keep a minimum of spares in stock - saved on storage costs - but most Jap makes manufacture most of their parts in Thailand - the problem is just as likely to be a stock problem as having to import. some may have been unlucky and needed and imported part whilst others had to wait for the stock to appear from Thai suppliers.

do you need a 4 door? if so sit in the back and check out the seating - some - notably Nissan are/were simply embarrassingly primitive.

if you buy a vehicle under 3 years old, should should get the rest of the warranty - check your local main dealer knows this.

If you are buying secondhand, look at models 3 years older than the one you are buying - you'll get an idea of how they survive the years.

One think I hate about Isuzu, even though they are very popular in Thailand, is that their diesels get really "rattley" after a few years.

The old Nissan Navara was the top selling pick up in the world.

Mazda and old model Fords were not that popular, you might get a bargain - Ford had a poor reliability reputation - how deserved this actually is I don't know.

most pickups, if treated well are pretty unburstable.

If you don't know much about cars etc., its a good idea to befriend a local mechanic and get im to give a second opinion on anything you look at......... a small gift to this man could save you 1000s in repairs later.

However it is also nice to know that labour costs in Thailand are so low and getting even major mechanical repairs done on secondhand vehicles are refreshingly cheap.

i've never believed ay of the odometers I've seen, although I get the feeling that clocking a digital one is more difficult than a traditional mechanical one. You can probably tell more about the real mileage by looking at the driver's seat and steering wheel than the odometer itself.

brake and clutch pedal....signs of wear

4-door, automatic, diesel.

Friend has a Mazda BT 50 Pro 4-door, automatic. loves it and never under 12 KM per lt, his 4-door, automatic, diesel truck before the change was the Nissan, never got over 8 KM per lt he sold after only 3 year simply because of the diesel consumption [he does around 100,000 KM per year] my own BT 50 [also does 100,000 km per year] is around 14 KM per lt, but manual.

​The new Nissan NP300 believe is a lot better on fuel. but to new and would not get one on your budget.

The 2012 4-door, automatic Isuzu D-Max Hi Lander 3.0 lt, you should be able to find in the budget + is the new model.. [parts are cheap]

The 2012 Mazda BT50 Pro 4-door, automatic also within budget + new model...... [parts are cheap]

​The newest model Ford Ranger is over your budget, last of the old model a 2011 would be well in budget...other members on here have had problems some major with the Ranger.

Toyota is just about to be replaced, the present one 'Champ' 4-door, automatic you may find a 2011 model for budget... genuine part for Toyota are far more expensive, but lots of copy parts, even down to copy genuine packing and boxes.

The Mitz Triton has just been replaced, but the old model 'PLUS' is within your budget.

As prices drop like a stone you will get the new model - 2012 even a 2013 4-door, automatic Chevy Colorado within budget

Used pickup truck values are threw the roof......never have I personally purchased a second hand pickup in 16 years here. Cars are a different story. The difference between new and a 3 to 4 year truck is minimal.

You are not up 2 date, the market has change radically

Ex

http://www.one2car.com/CHEVROLET_COLORADO/I24140459

Noticed most of the Chevy range are 1/2 price within 2 year. pickup as well as cars..

also most make of pickup are under 1/2 price within 4 years often 3, in present times.

Edit: from that same seller even a 2014 Toyota with under 20,000 KM has lost 220,000 baht !! [2 years ago it may have lost 50,000 baht]

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

4-door, automatic, diesel.

Friend has a Mazda BT 50 Pro 4-door, automatic. loves it and never under 12 KM per lt, his 4-door, automatic, diesel truck before the change was the Nissan, never got over 8 KM per lt he sold after only 3 year simply because of the diesel consumption [he does around 100,000 KM per year] my own BT 50 [also does 100,000 km per year] is around 14 KM per lt, but manual.

​The new Nissan NP300 believe is a lot better on fuel. but to new and would not get one on your budget.

The 2012 4-door, automatic Isuzu D-Max Hi Lander 3.0 lt, you should be able to find in the budget + is the new model.. [parts are cheap]

The 2012 Mazda BT50 Pro 4-door, automatic also within budget + new model...... [parts are cheap]

​The newest model Ford Ranger is over your budget, last of the old model a 2011 would be well in budget...other members on here have had problems some major with the Ranger.

Toyota is just about to be replaced, the present one 'Champ' 4-door, automatic you may find a 2011 model for budget... genuine part for Toyota are far more expensive, but lots of copy parts, even down to copy genuine packing and boxes.

The Mitz Triton has just been replaced, but the old model 'PLUS' is within your budget.

As prices drop like a stone you will get the new model - 2012 even a 2013 4-door, automatic Chevy Colorado within budget

I have a heavy foot and easily get 14km per litre highway and 10 sitting in Bangkok traffic in my navara. Then again, I don't drive that much maybe 2000 km per month so not really fussed by fuel costs, if I were I would have bought a March,,,lol

I have a heavy foot and easily get 14km per litre highway and 10 sitting in Bangkok traffic in my navara. Then again, I don't drive that much maybe 2000 km per month so not really fussed by fuel costs, if I were I would have bought a March,,,lol

May make a difference, we both have canopies, we both almost always are fully loaded, mostly big truck and pickup parts. my Thai friend now in his 60's is and always has been heavy footed, now does more local runs BKK, and Cities close by, his being the 4 door, think he makes more runs, but often see he has the back seat full as well.

We used to always run the D-Max, some still do, 3 made a change to a different make. as always car or truck depends what you want it for and to do with it.

Get an Isuzu, ugly old warts maybe but reliable.

I, we have run them and had them years always reliable, work on the farm or heavy on the loud pedal on the expressways or motorways or cruise in the city.

• Like 2

As has been said before, all the trucks do the same job. Check out your local dealers and see which you like the look of, since they will be doing your servicing. Locally we only have Toyota, Isuzu and Nissan. Best salesman was at Nissan, offered 24 hour test drive straight away, but they drink diesel like I drink Leo in the hot season. Toyota had two basic J models on display, no literature on G models and a salesman very reluctant to come out of his a/c office. Isuzu were pleasant and helpful with plenty of models on display and brochures. Been very happy with the D-Max for the last five years. Forget the last generation 2.5 though, a 116hp slug. For the money you should get the latest model.

• Like 1

Not sure what major problems with Ford could be. I had 400,000 kms on 1st one.....no issues. 260,000 kms on present 4 x 4. My mate drove it 500 kms on payment with locked in 4 x 4 so universal joints needed changed a few months later. Thats it.

Ford and Mazda are the same pickup. Different body panels but thats about all....made in same factory. 2nd hand I will would go for the Ford. better value for sure if you plan on keeping it.

In terms of value for money, Mitsubishi is the pick of the bunch. Sure, Toyota and Isuzu have established a brand image which serves them well in terms of resale and reputation. Mazda, Ford and the Colorado have their good points.

Many people are either not aware of, or forget, the fact that the Mitsubishi Zero was the king of the skies for a major part of World War II. So Mitsubishi do know a thing or two about engines - it's their marketing that lets them down.

I've owned 5 Mitsubishis now - 4 cars, 1 pickup. So I've put my money where my mouth is. All of them have been great vehicles when considering the decade they were manufactured.

Used pickup truck values are threw the roof......never have I personally purchased a second hand pickup in 16 years here. Cars are a different story. The difference between new and a 3 to 4 year truck is minimal.

I so wish that was true ... I'd 'swap' my 3-year old V-Cross for an Mu-X tomorrow.

In terms of value for money, Mitsubishi is the pick of the bunch. Sure, Toyota and Isuzu have established a brand image which serves them well in terms of resale and reputation. Mazda, Ford and the Colorado have their good points.

Many people are either not aware of, or forget, the fact that the Mitsubishi Zero was the king of the skies for a major part of World War II. So Mitsubishi do know a thing or two about engines - it's their marketing that lets them down.

I've owned 5 Mitsubishis now - 4 cars, 1 pickup. So I've put my money where my mouth is. All of them have been great vehicles when considering the decade they were manufactured.

cheesy.gif ...........Gawd 'elp us..............rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Oh wow, I'm really debating with the intelligentsia now - three words constitute a whole argument. Si tacuisse, philosophus mansisse.

Oh wow, I'm really debating with the intelligentsia now - three words constitute a whole argument. Si tacuisse, philosophus mansisse.

What on earth has WW2 aero engines got to do with modern day 4 wheel road stuff......?.....blink.png

So Saab, Rolls-Royce, Daimler- Benz and BMW don't ring any bells with you as aircraft engine manufacturers? It's an indication of their expertise in making high performance engines. Show me where Toyota and Isuzu fit in that company - Toyota got started copying Mercedes engines.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

What on earth has WW2 aero engines got to do with modern day 4 wheel road stuff......?.....blink.png

• Like 1

Mon ami, a 14 cylinder radial aero engine has nothing to do with 4 pot diesels.......

TOYOTA put engines on the Formula 1 track for a while, Mitsu did not...........

All engine designers can do what they want IF they want in our day and age....Bringing WW2 into a motoring forum is daft.

bazza40, on 24 Feb 2015 - 21:04, said:
transam, on 24 Feb 2015 - 20:58, said:
bazza40, on 24 Feb 2015 - 18:39, said:

Adiuva nos, Deus ... Thaivisa Motoring Section now has a semi intellectual and he rates Mitsus ... I'm with my chum Trans on this one ...