Certify a British passport

Tomorrow will be travelling to central Bangkok to arrange the certification of my British passport which is required to open an offshore bank account in the Isle of Man.

As of today,

British Embassy charge B1,600

Siam Legal B2,000 + VAT

This evening I am trying my local police station (police officer can certify passport) and it's possibly a free service, payment at your discretion.

Anybody had their passport certified recently and not necessary a British passport?

Would appreciate any feedback regarding name of lawyers, costs and preferably in the Sukhumvit area.

Have you tried your local immigration office?

Beware, though, they might only provide a certification in Thai - and this would be more likely in the case of the local police. Since your IoM offshore bank would presumably require this in English, you would, of course, need to factor in translation costs.

Are they wanting a certification your passport is valid or just a certified copy. In most cases all I would expect that would be needed is a certified copy of it.

I think you will find that the only place you can get it done is at the embassy.

Thanks OJAS. Even in the Thai language, my wife could translate into English.

The offshore bank requires either a consular official, ie The British Embassy(BE) here, lawyer, accountant or serving police officer. Initially, I tried my Thai bank but it's not their policy to certify foreign passports only to certify your current bank statement.

Will check this evening with the local police station.

Thanks ubonjoe, if no joy this evening, I will travel to Ploenchit tomorrow. The BE informed me this morning that's a same day service.

Edited by hathairat2711

Thanks OJAS. Even in the Thai language, my wife could translate into English.

Suspect that your IoM bank would require a translation certified by a qualified translator - which your good lady wife might well be for all I know!

In any event, an academic point, of course, if you go down the Embassy route.

• Like 1

The British Embassy will not "certify" a British passport. !

Best you check EXACTLY what is being asked for.

I suspect they want a copy of his passport and for someone on their approved list of professions to sign it to verify it his indeed him.

Normally he would go into the bank, they would take a copy, and obviously confirm it's him by sight.

More good business for lawyers or consulates.

• Like 1

I have/had an ISA with Fidelity. Decided to cash it in last October. No problem they said just send us your UK bank details. THEN they discovered I lived in Thailand! A whole new ball game has ensued. They have sat on my cheque (in a non-interest bearing account - yeah sure) since then. They asked for copies of PP/driving licences/utility bill etc, authenticated by aprofessional person. My first person, a Police Inspector, was rejected because they have an ageist policy of you becoming a non-person on retirement.

Fidelity insisted I go to a reputable firm of solicitors. I did & paid 3000 baht for them to notarise three documents (Magna Carta, Pattaya.). Fidelity sat on them for over a month and did nothing till I inquired if they had got them. Then they changed the rules AGAIN! They were sorry they had given me the wrong advice; they would only allow documents authenticated by the Embassy. This involves a 300 kms round trip + arranging an appointment + overnight stay.I have contacted the Ombudsman but they are worse than Fidelity - I waited six weeks for a reply!

I can't understand Fidelity's thinking: MY money is being paid into MY UK bank so why does it matter where I live?

Last time I looked the British Embassy were very particular about what they would authenticate. If you are planning on using their services you'd better check that they will do what you want them to. You'll probably find that they won't.

You have my sympathy. Organisations in the UK have no idea how difficult it is to get documents certified here. All too often they ask for the impossible.

I used Siam Legal to notarise a copy of my passport last year to open an account with Standard Bank in Isle of Man.

It is worth noting that the notarisation services offered in Thailand are technically not recognised international since Thailand is not signed up to the required Hague Convention however i have used the notarisation by the Thai Lawyers Association several times without problems.

I went to the British Embassy last week. They will issue a document certifying a passport for 1560 baht or a document certifying your passport and confirming your address in Thailand (as currently being requested by Thai banks for opening a new account) for 2800 baht. Regarding the latter don't bother taking the Bangkok Bank form you can download from their website as British Embassy won't accept it.

"It is worth noting that the notarisation services offered in Thailand are technically not recognised international since Thailand is not signed up to the required Hague Convention however i have used the notarisation by the Thai Lawyers Association several times without problems."

The problem has nothing to do with any Hague Convention. The problem is that notaries do not exist under Thai law, so the documents you get "notarized" in Thailand are made to look like notarizations, but technically are not.

(The Hague Convention problem relates to use of the apostille in lieu of legalization; apostilles are not issued in Thailand since it is not party to the relevant Hague Convention.)