Visiting to the friend locked in prison

thunder18

Hi guys,

I (a foreigner) would like to visit one of my friend (foreigner also) who is behind the bars here in Thailand.

He is in Bkk's Remand prison. He is NOT under the investigation or whatever (in fact, he is almost served his time in there and soon shall go out).

I have his full name and his internal number in that prison.

Anyohe have any clue - how whe whole process will look like? Shall I just go to the said place at NgamWongWan Rd, and ask the "reception" for visiting the person? Or shall I fill any papers in there first, then wait for the approval (maybe another day)? Shall I provide my own ID/wp/visa/anything else? What is the best to send to the guy (cigarettes/tea/instant coffee/mama noodles/fruits/anything else)? Is any alcohol allowed (beer? anything?) What are DOs and DON'Ts, on general?

Guys, please provide any helpful details. i am completely out of ideas now - just would like to give the guy a visit (as I just informed last week that he is being locked, for almost a year now....).

Tried to google this but almost nothing in Eglish...Thanks in advance!!

Edited by thunder18

Visiting a person in prison in Thailand.

Find out visiting times, go to prison with your passport , show passport, visit person inside.

Do not take cigs, or anything else.

Give money to prison office to put on his prison account, so he can purchase items in the prison shop.

• Like 2

Thanks.

But is it possible just to pass anything to him (not transfer money I meant)? I prefer to buy the best for him by myself (some farang's food etc), I am pretty sure they do not have it in that shop. smile.png

I went to visit someone in Samut Prakan prison about a year ago, it was a see through barrier and you had to talk to each other using a telephone, the telephone would cut off after I think 5 minutes or so. It was a pretty grim experience to be honest with you, think I was waiting for three hours or so in a queue to see him as well, a lot of women with kids going to see blokes locked up the only upside was the tarts all over the place.

Edited by bkkgooner
  • Like 1

People were not permitted to bring anything , only pass money over for use in the prison shop.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

Okay, now the picture seems a bit more clear... That's sad that I can't pass anything to the inmate.

What do they have in those so-called "shops"? Hope there would be some cigs/fresh fruits at least. Really have no clue what to expect!

And how long (usually) would that take from the moment of arrival and to the moment that I will be able to meet the guy (including all the usual queues etc)? 30min? 1hr? 3hrs? Even longer???

Need to plan my time, as hey seems opened only in office hours and no weekend visits are allowed....

Also, is it safe to provide my own ID while visiting there? I meant, the visit would definitely be recorded - and I do not want any "background checks" to be initiated on my own person regarding to that guy's case. Shall I better ask some Thai person to go with me (and use their Thai's ID instead)? Will it work, or ALL the visitors must provide IDs - or stay outside the visitor's room?

Thanks.

But is it possible just to pass anything to him (not transfer money I meant)? I prefer to buy the best for him by myself (some farang's food etc), I am pretty sure they do not have it in that shop. smile.png

I went to visit someone in Samut Prakan prison about a year ago, it was a see through barrier and you had to talk to each other using a telephone, the telephone would cut off after I think 5 minutes or so. It was a pretty grim experience to be honest with you, think I was waiting for three hours or so in a queue to see him as well, a lot of women with kids going to see blokes locked up the only upside was the tarts all over the place.

3hrs in queue, okay, got it.

So they only allow 5min phone conversation, right? Not a second longer. Or is it somehow depend on...anything? A tip...?

Edited by thunder18

>Asking if he can take alcohol into a prison and pass things to a prisoner.....
I have no idea what is allowed there, and what is not - not at my own country, as I never ever visited those places. Not to say Thailand's prisons.
If no alcohol/food/whatever - than no. That was my initial question, as I am totally new in this.

>The offender is in a remand prison but not under investigation but has done his time

Almost done. Sentenced for 1 year, and now 9 months already gone.

Investigations are done before the prison time and before the court - and there are no visitors allowed. He already passed this stage.

>however the OP has decided within the last 3 hrs
3hrs for the prison's queue, as the other poster told me. Not 3 last hours of his sentence.
Read carefully.

>that he wants to visit him and take him good food.
Yes. I was informed about his story just last week - and now would like to give him a visit.

>But doesn't want his ID investigated in relation to the offenders case.
Yes, I do not want that. He is not even a close friend of mine. All I want is just to give him a common "humanité" visit - just to cheer him and check if he is OK and still able to withstand all of that "superior accomodation service", and to pass his needs (if any) back to his family - who are all far away from here. If I (personally) may help - I will help, too.

But his case is his case. He is now almost served that in full (innocent or not - I have no idea as I am not his judge), and that's all. I have no idea what was really happened before he was locked up.
I am dealing with his current situation, but not with his past.

Edited by thunder18
  • Like 2

I would suggest you research into the specific prison online and then plan on getting there as early as possible,

Frankly speaking, I am living just "next street" from this NgamWongWan Rd (where BKK Remand Prison is). I am passing that 2 times a day. smile.png

But never been inside, thanks to God.

Prisons shops are a bit like the mom n pop stores you see around the place, snacks, toiletries and the like

Are the prices also comparable to mom/n/pop's? Bet those must be much higher (that's why there was an idea to buy'n'bring that all by myself).

Well done to you for helping out, I am sure you visiting him will mean a great deal to him, try and bring some messages from family back home if you can

Yes, that is the main point. He has no one here (as I was told). It is dam'n hard for him to stay even just a year, if it is true. Let's just meet and chat - even 5min would be a great cheer and support, I think. That's why I decided to act, and now posting here.
  • Like 1

Get there early. Take your passport to get copied. Go to the window. Give the name and room number if you know it. Listen carefully for his name, they say them quick. Visit 20 minutes. After visit deposit money into prison account.

• Like 1

If he has been sentenced he is not in a remand prison.

Do you know of any prison in the world where you can take alcohol to prisoners ?

You joined TV 4hrs ago. At the time I posted you had joined 3 hrs previously.

He has allegedly done 9 months... It seems to me that he might have survived the Superior Accommodation pretty well so far.

I appreciate your humanitarian gesture but still don't understand why you are reluctant to use your ID ..... After all it is not as if you were involved was it? .. And by the way there are numerous posts and several websites telling you how you visit a Thai prison. You just have to get off your sterile donkey and search a little

Edited by tolsti
  • Like 1

Thanks.

But is it possible just to pass anything to him (not transfer money I meant)? I prefer to buy the best for him by myself (some farang's food etc), I am pretty sure they do not have it in that shop. :)

I often go to Khon Kaen prison with my wife to visit her son. I have to show my passport, they take copy then go to window to get card number for the visit. They insist on long pants, you cannot pass anything to them you have a heavy glass partition with a phone. You have to leave mony at a desk. Cannot leave food as they have problems visitors hiding drugs.

I was in Buriram prison a few years ago .

People were not permitted to bring anything , only pass money over for use in the prison shop.

When i was locked up i had 2 cans of cola with me guards poured them down a drain. Told me not allowed only what you buy in the prison shop.

So yes i am talking from personal experience.

Personal experience, can the 'authorities' be trusted to be given money for an inmate ? TIT is a concern.

I was in Buriram prison a few years ago .

When i was locked up i had 2 cans of cola with me guards poured them down a drain. Told me not allowed only what you buy in the prison shop.

So yes i am talking from personal experience.

Personal experience, can the 'authorities' be trusted to be given money for an inmate ? TIT is a concern.

Yes they can. You get a receipt. Never had a problem depositing money.

• Like 1

I appreciate your humanitarian gesture but still don't understand why you are reluctant to use your ID ..... After all it is not as if you were involved was it? ..

No, I am not anyhow involved in his case (otherwise I'll better stay away of the jails as far as I can, but not plan any visits). smile.png

I just afraid that my personal life might be somehow checked/logged behind my back, as I'll get my name recorded in connection with this guy (and so with his case). Perhaps it is so common to check the visitors (I have no idea) - but I don't want any checks of this kind over my personality. I have nothing to hide - but just don't want any unneccessary "background movements" I won't have control, nor able to stop. I don't know how will it reflect on my future life (especially if you're a foreigner in Thailand, linked to another one who is locked).

I just want to visit the guy once (for now), see him/listen to him, cheer him up, pass his needs to his family - and that's all. No any hidden agenda here.

He has allegedly done 9 months... It seems to me that he might have survived the Superior Accommodation pretty well so far.

Have you seen/talked to him? I don't think so. Thus it is just your expectations, while you was enjoying your time byu sitting in front of your computer and reading TVF.

As for me, I would prefer to meet the guy and listen from his own lips that he is OK, and his the accomodation is a true superior one. Got a balls not to sit and think - but go in there and ask? smile.png

can the 'authorities' be trusted to be given money for an inmate ? TIT is a concern.

As far as I understand - they must provide a kind of slip/receipt once they accepted the money for an inmate. Later on (the next visit) it is possible to check with the inmate if he got money or not.

Am I getting this right?

Edited by thunder18

DVD"s are accepted by all prisons in Thailand as long as it's for the general useage for all prisoners not individuals.

I have given my used DVD's & CD's in a box labelled "DVD's For the enjoyment of ALL prisoners" in Koh Samui & Chiang Mai prisons with no problems & have been told they are greatly appreciated by the Farang inmates as well as some Thai too.

So guys why don't you dust off those old DvD's ,box them & take them down to local prison/remand centre ..they accept anytime/any day just go to gates & if possible take Thai to transalte ..but at leastdo some merit &

go!

• Like 2

It seems pretty daft that the OP is having to defend himself for asking advise so he can do something good.

The mistrustfull nature of a lot of posters on here is apparent.

That's OK. I don't care that much. Most ppl around (in the real life too, I meant) can only talk and produce sound waste....nothing more than just "blah-blah-blah". That's OK. Can't escape this so just let them giggling around.

I am here not for them - but to take my arse up from the chair, and go and show my support other fella who is now in troubles. Others can keep their talkings and change nothing, I am ok with that. smile.png

It is fairly obvious though they will want to monitor visitors and so I'm sure you won't be allowed to visit without showing real proof of your own ID.

What if I take any Thai person with me (using his/her Thai ID, and play the common show "Stupid farang forgot the passport at home, what a funny farang")? Will this work - what do you think?

Really do not want to get in any kind of "lists". This is just no need for me.