Import second hand car to Thailand.

sharvey

An acquaintance of mine tried importing his car from Ireland about 4 years ago. Unfortunately for him, he didn't do any research and simply had the car sent over. Apparently the import charges were higher than the actual value of the car(!). In the end he told them to keep it!

Just curious though a new angle, what if the car was obviously already mostly stripped and did't run or already had the engine removed and was just a roller chassis and intended for use on track only?

Everything bar the chassis frame can come in as parts at 30 + 7 % tax.Engine attracts some special add ons if memory serves.. You need a specific paper if your registering an imported engine swap into a registered vehicle.

The chassis technically is illegal to bring in.. 2 years ago under some change vehicle chassis can no longer come in used... same rules for cars as the grey import parts bikes..

Of course if its never going on the road.. I expect a lot of bits slide through in closed containers for a 'processing fee' a friend paid one when he didnt want his 'household goods' inspected..

• Like 1

With all the correct paperwork in place it is a fairly easy process, cost wise a fair estimation is multiply the new car value by the figure of 3.

If the car value is $50,000 the import costs will be $150,000.....................

Better to keep that $200,000 in your pocket and just buy something already here.

The exception to this rule is bringing a car in as temporary import.. Transiting Malaysia and crossing sadao seems the easiest as theres a roro at port klang.

I know a guy with a ferrari who has it this way.

Thanks Livin, so Ok regardless it seems that not too much changes, it still seems that bringing it in as a temp is still the best way, and likely more so from a more local country like Malaysia, the thing is I was kind of hoping to ship over an Rx8 chassis and crap motor or 2 with all parts to build it up as they're much cheaper that way and most of them have that anyway and I would be rebuilding and even possibly bringing in a 20B from Japan depending on what class it will run in. But just strip out what I don't need here and leave it or sell it so there won't be any parts with it so to speak so it would be obvious it has no street intentions more less. I'm going to have to look into this more, I'm always still dubious as to what is said is possible or allowed versus what happens when it gets to the gate.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hmm I wonder why Singapore? I understood many of them are based in and/or compete in Malaysia where there is permanent track facilities and then make a return or brought in for given events. It's really nonsensical they don't allow a longer term exception for cars that are clearly for competition to be imported, stored and supported in Thailand without a ridiculous run around and expensive bonds required.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The exception to this rule is bringing a car in as temporary import.. Transiting Malaysia and crossing sadao seems the easiest as theres a roro at port klang.

I know a guy with a ferrari who has it this way.

Thanks Livin, so Ok regardless it seems that not too much changes, it still seems that bringing it in as a temp is still the best way, and likely more so from a more local country like Malaysia, the thing is I was kind of hoping to ship over an Rx8 chassis and crap motor or 2 with all parts to build it up as they're much cheaper that way and most of them have that anyway and I would be rebuilding and even possibly bringing in a 20B from Japan depending on what class it will run in. But just strip out what I don't need here and leave it or sell it so there won't be any parts with it so to speak so it would be obvious it has no street intentions more less. I'm going to have to look into this more, I'm always still dubious as to what is said is possible or allowed versus what happens when it gets to the gate.

Do not ship it to bangkok.. They then get it in their hands and wont release it, hence they have you over a barrel and you have no negotiating room..

Do it via port Klang Malay that way you can argue and say no.. Simply having that option controls them a little..

Without advising any thing illegal.. Its quite simple to bring a vehicle in, legally and on temp import.. then once its incountry clear it out of the temp import as though your driving out, but not take the vehicle out.. Its then here illegally, but your not going to drive it on the road right ??

Lots of places this is not too hard to achieve.

• Like 1

Hmm I wonder why Singapore? I understood many of them are based in and/or compete in Malaysia where there is permanent track facilities and then make a return or brought in for given events. It's really nonsensical they don't allow a longer term exception for cars that are clearly for competition to be imported, stored and supported in Thailand without a ridiculous run around and expensive bonds required.

I am very surprised also.. As I guess anyone who has researched this knows Thailand is not a signatory to the CPD carnet system.. The carnet for private persons temp transit etc.. It is however a signatory to the ATA carnet for commercial goods, this would be used for touring band equipment, etc etc and has a specific section and category for race machines.

By the reading of the law Thailand should allow race vehicles in tax free on a temporary basis, as per the ATA carnet system.

• Like 1

So then it seems that maybe I should go with the plan to strip it, begin much of the process of building it, say adding the cage and some safety equipment, putting some graphics on it and then just bring it in looking the part but not yet complete as I'm not likely going to have time to complete it before leaving even if it happens at all. I think I'll probably contact the some racing officials too like at the RAAT and see how they can help, it's certain they have options and go arounds as they've been trying to expand the competition and participation from outside of Thailand and have over the last several years since my last conversation with them.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I am very surprised also.. As I guess anyone who has researched this knows Thailand is not a signatory to the CPD carnet system.. The carnet for private persons temp transit etc.. It is however a signatory to the ATA carnet for commercial goods, this would be used for touring band equipment, etc etc and has a specific section and category for race machines.

By the reading of the law Thailand should allow race vehicles in tax free on a temporary basis, as per the ATA carnet system.

Singha family (or one of the mega rich families that race in the super car series) fronted the cash for many of the temp imported vehicles that front the grid.

So then it seems that maybe I should go with the plan to strip it, begin much of the process of building it, say adding the cage and some safety equipment, putting some graphics on it and then just bring it in looking the part but not yet complete as I'm not likely going to have time to complete it before leaving even if it happens at all. I think I'll probably contact the some racing officials too like at the RAAT and see how they can help, it's certain they have options and go arounds as they've been trying to expand the competition and participation from outside of Thailand and have over the last several years since my last conversation with them.

Car Body Shell has an import duty rate of 80% and a VAT rate of 7%, Interior Tax rate is 0%, Surcharge rate is 0%

• Like 1

I've seen RX7 drift cars here but I don't know if they are registered here.

I know some guys who build race cars here that race at bang saen. Last race they had an new RX from Japan in full race spec. I will send them an email and see if they can help you. Send me a PM with your info and I will see if I can help out.

• Like 1

I know some guys who build race cars here that race at bang saen. Last race they had an new RX from Japan in full race spec. I will send them an email and see if they can help you. Send me a PM with your info and I will see if I can help out.

Thanks, I'm just doing some investigating at the mo, it's still a bit premature to make concrete plans things are still being negotiated as to whether or not we want to race in Thailand or China, honestly my preference is China, it's a much bigger market and foreigners are not hassled so much in fact they're welcomed, the events are more professional as well, I've heard of people having guns drawn on them at some Thai races. I know quite a few people involved with racing in Thailand too including the top guy at RAAT who I spoke with a couple years ago. That was an Rx8 they had? Or 7?

Thanks, I'm just doing some investigating at the mo, it's still a bit premature to make concrete plans things are still being negotiated as to whether or not we want to race in Thailand or China, honestly my preference is China, it's a much bigger market and foreigners are not hassled so much in fact they're welcomed, the events are more professional as well, I've heard of people having guns drawn on them at some Thai races. I know quite a few people involved with racing in Thailand too including the top guy at RAAT who I spoke with a couple years ago. That was an Rx8 they had? Or 7?

RX8

post-155719-14250492994973_thumb.jpg

Great! sad.png So what class was it in? How modified was it? Never mind, I Googled it, it's a fully prepared race car, must have run the supercar class? It's very clean and well done, Not all that nonsensical, heavy aero I see on so many cars in Thailand that few have a clue how it works, most of it just extra drag, how did it do? It looks like it should have been competitive if the driver was ok with the tight Bang Saen course.

Edited by WarpSpeed