Man sought for BTS bomb scare

webfact

Man sought for BTS bomb scare
By Coconuts Bangkok

bombpayathai.jpg
Photo: @online_society

BANGKOK: -- A man spotted leaving a mysterious cardboard box at BTS Phayathai station will be prosecuted for alarming the public after a bomb unit was called in to dispose of it, police said.

An arrest warrant has been issued for the unidentified man seen by security cameras leaving a Nikon camera box at a phone booth yesterday afternoon, prompting the guards to alert authorities who found it only contained some camera gear.

Bangkok’s transportation system has been on a high state of vigilance after two bombs were detonated at BTS Siam on Feb. 1. Police have not been able to find those responsible for the blasts, which did not cause any serious injuries.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/23/man-sought-bts-bomb-scare

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-24

Police hunt for man for causing bomb scare at BTS station

BANGKOK: -- Police are gathering evidence to seek an arrest warrant for a man who caused public panic by allegedly leaving a suspicious box at the Skytrain's Phya Thai station on Sunday.

Bomb disposal officials found that the box contained no explosive devices, only a digital camera.

Security footage showed that the man - wearing a black hat, blue, longsleeved shirt and a white vest - left a box on the ground and walked away with a different box.

The suspect would be charged with causing public panic, which is punishable by up to one month in jail and Bt1,000 fine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-hunt-for-man-for-causing-bomb-scare-at-BTS--30254691.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-24

Is it possible he just put the box down to make a call and forgot it or as the OP mentions him leaving with a box picked up the wrong one after making a call.

Mind bit odd two boxes in same booth.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

The report quaintly notes that the BTS system has been on 'a high state of vigilance' since the bombing at Siam BTS.

This is patently untrue.

Well i used 4 different BTS stations yesterday and all of them had officers like in the attached located in them. The effectiveness of them would be questionable, but they have installed additional visible security officials, at least at Ratchdamri, Ploenchit, Thonglor and Ekkamai BTS stations.

and that is the BOMB squad ?

A couple old tires and a bag or 2 of ????

since they are in green uniforms are they Army ?

Scary to think these are the guys who will protect us if there is a terror attack

I am a retired EOD - IED of the Belgium Army, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

In a case like this, we take first a schort look nearby in a full protecting suit, then we send the robot to destroy (many ways to do it) the object before it can explode. If nessesary we protect the enviroment with sandbags ,let a small hole for the robotarm.

In this case, for what I can see, they did the best they could with the means they had but forgot two essential things - ONLY 1 approge the suspect object

- NO radio immition near the obect.

Think it are the first help squad

Scary to think these are the guys who will protect us if there is a terror attack

Green? I think you need to calibrate your graphics card. And what do you think an EOD squad is going to use to contain damage from a device they're working on, in case it blows up and kills them? You think they're going to lug one of those special trucks up the stairs? Normally it is not a good idea to move a suspicious object around very much, so a couple of sandbags and a couple of old tires work quite well. Also, it couldn't have been very large, so you wouldn't actually have to build a wall of sandbags around it.

An arrest warrant for someone who left a camera box with camera equipment because they thought it was a bomb. Well I can see how they thought it may be a bomb but

I don't thing from the sounds of it that the intent of that person was to scare people with Camera Equipment

He just forgot the box Its that simple No intent here

I think they need to concentrate on real problems not someone who forgot a box

Green? I think you need to calibrate your graphics card. And what do you think an EOD squad is going to use to contain damage from a device they're working on, in case it blows up and kills them? You think they're going to lug one of those special trucks up the stairs? Normally it is not a good idea to move a suspicious object around very much, so a couple of sandbags and a couple of old tires work quite well. Also, it couldn't have been very large, so you wouldn't actually have to build a wall of sandbags around it.

Actually, better explained here: click below for a Youtube demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWVAXf0rhs

• Like 1

Is it possible he just put the box down to make a call and forgot it or as the OP mentions him leaving with a box picked up the wrong one after making a call.

Mind bit odd two boxes in same booth.

It's likely that's the explanation. But unfortuntely in 2015 the Thai police state decides who the terrorists are. If forgetful people are a menace to public safety, then they will be jailed. Executed if necessary.

By order of the Council for peace and happiness