Phuket's Russian tour companies starting to feel the pinch

webfact

Phuket's Russian tour companies starting to feel the pinch
Nattha Thepbamrung

1424746323_1-org.jpg
Nikorn Yatinunt (centre), a consultant for Pegas Touristik pictured last year.

Phuket: -- A sharp drop in the number of Russian tourist to Phuket and around the nation due to the decline of the Russian Ruble is now starting to have an affect on big Russian tour companies including Pegas.

Speaking to The Phuket News, Nikorn Yatinunt, a consultant for Pegas Touristik said that they have seen a reduction of 70 per cent in customers so far.

“The company do not have any plans to shut down, especially in Phuket where we have just bought a building for a permanent office.

“We just have to cut down our administration expenses because of the drop in income from the decreasing number of Russian tourists.

“However, we will no be changing our target market to Kazakhstan,” Mr Nikrorn.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phukets-russian-tour-companies-starting-to-feel-the-pinch-51136.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-24

• Like 2

Long may it last! However, if there is peace in Ukraine and the economic sanctions are lifted on Russia the numbers will rise again commensurate with the Ruble's increase in value. Who the heck is going to buy all these Condos being constructed in huge numbers? Is there another Southern SpaIn-type collapse coming to the Land of Smiles do you think - anyone.

I hope so because those condos are way overprized for years, now...

About Kazakhstan: Every time I went to Laos and to Cambodia for my visa and visa runs, the bus was loaded with girls from Kazakhstan. All working girls if you know what I mean. Also they didn't spend any money in Laos or at the Cambodian border, they just didn't have any. So if Thailand is going to call these Kazakhstan tourists quality tourists, they're really going down the drain. IMO Russians were better.

Edited by FredNL
  • Like 1

Due to the Russian situation at home and the state of the ruble .....it is no wonder what is happening with the current Russian Tourist situation in Thailand. Hopefully things will get better in Ukraine and the embargo will be lifted....not sure though !! I wish good luck to everyone who invest their Money in Lovely Thailand....it doesnt matter where they come from ! We will all benefit from good business competition !!

• Like 1

Long may it last! However, if there is peace in Ukraine and the economic sanctions are lifted on Russia the numbers will rise again commensurate with the Ruble's increase in value. Who the heck is going to buy all these Condos being constructed in huge numbers? Is there another Southern SpaIn-type collapse coming to the Land of Smiles do you think - anyone.

I hope so because those condos are way overprized for years, now...

About Kazakhstan: Every time I went to Laos and to Cambodia for my visa and visa runs, the bus was loaded with girls from Kazakhstan. All working girls if you know what I mean. Also they didn't spend any money in Laos or at the Cambodian border, they just didn't have any. So if Thailand is going to call these Kazakhstan tourists quality tourists, they're really going down the drain. IMO Russians were better.

Now it is getting confusing - Russians are castigated because they talk loudly and one stands in the doorway of some guy's condo, but you object to Kazakhs because Kazakh prostitutes don't spend money at the border? Maybe if they acted with an arrogant, bumptious and self-entitled manner, they would be warmly welcomed on this board?

• Like 1

About Kazakhstan....

The movie Borat, which I absolutely loved for its radical political incorrectness has, it must be said, left a scar on the reputation of Kazakhstan.

This country, however, is home to more than one ancient and extraordinary culture, and for those who are tempted to just guffaw and slip into the usual anti-Muslim stance, I recommend that you type 'eagle hunters kazakhtan' on Google, look at the pictures first, do some research and dare say, after that, that you're not impressed with those guys.

Kazakhstan, like so many other Central Asian mountain kingdoms, was invaded, exploited, damaged and left to rot by the Soviet bully. The pretext was, of course, that they were living under feudal rules and customs, an unacceptable heresy for Stalin and his oh so humane version of communism... (by the way, Mao sent his troops to Tibet under very similar claims).

How does a country try to re-construct itself after that... is a good question.

And there was me thinking the Thai economy was doing very well in tourism. Maybe they heard that the beach umbrellas are no longer allowed to be brought onto the beach and that deck chairs are a thing of the past whatever the reason I won't miss them as the majority I find to be very rude, a friend of mine rented out his property for some reason he did not take a deposit after 3 months they did a disappearing act in the middle of the night leaving a trail of damage to his villa he reckons it cost him some 200,000 to fix it up !!

The Russians are Coming....remember that one? Well, they're here and I have my suspicions. Isn't a bit odd, what do the Russians actually do? They've literally invaded most markets and even stranger, they have no apparent problems. In Hua HIn, some guy drives a new SUV, sporting Russian Homes for Sale in the Royal City. What gives? Enough speculation. It's quite obvious they know who to pay off and how much. It's a good bet money laundering is at the root of their endeavors. So...if they're feeling the pinch, ahhh...that's too bad, because we're all feeling the pinch, of one kind or another.

So the Russians are not apparently the best liked in Phuket. I don't get it. Whilst they are not the most attractive race (apart from some of the younger women) and are lacking in manners and social skills, they've never bothered me to any great extent. Their descent on Dubai in the 90's took a bit of getting used to but generally they were not outwardly troublesome. The same can be said of their presence in Pattaya, just avoid the cheap hotels. The misbehaviour of Europeans in Thailand has been far worse; what is it about vest tops, no tops and flip flops that seem to bring out the worst in them?

• Like 1

Many posts removed ...

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

There were too many tourists in Phuket for me before the Russians started to come.

Many of them are OK -last year the only problem I saw was that they got so sunburnt.

But I have also seen many rude,ignorant and drunk Russians.

In Koh Chang and Chiangmai I even met very pleasent and well educated Russians.

But on the whole I am pleased the weak rouble has meant there is a 70% drop.

Sometimes I wonder how many of you who dislike the Russians actually know any Russians personally? I happen to know quite some Russian guy's and they are not worse, or better, than others. Sure some of them are loud, some of them seem to lack social skills, but so some French, German, British, Dutch and other nationalities! The Russians that I know are normal, nice folks.. Just like you and me tongue.png

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder how many of you who dislike the Russians actually know any Russians personally? I happen to know quite some Russian guy's and they are not worse, or better, than others. Sure some of them are loud, some of them seem to lack social skills, but so some French, German, British, Dutch and other nationalities! The Russians that I know are normal, nice folks.. Just like you and me tongue.png

I met a Russian couple a few years ago on the back of a baht bus on one of the Islands. My friend was struggling to light his cigerete and the Russian guy took out his lighter reached over and lit it for him. They were from Siberia where the temperature is -40 no wonder they come to Thailand for their holidays! I think the problem with Russia is Putin and his cyber army who troll you-tube and the internet spreading disinformation and lies about Ukraine and the west. The biggest lie of course is that there are no Russian troops in Ukraine, another one I dislike is that we in the west are Nazis.

I know some Thais fairly well and they say they dislike Russians because they are rude and never tip, hardly come in their bars and stand drinking outside of 7/11.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is married to a russian lady with a 26yr old daughter. Ive invited them here many times for a free holiday and told the English speaking daughter that she will do well here as a tour guide.

They flatly refuse to come as they hate their own people and dont want to be anywhere near them....their words, not mine.

• Like 2