Installing security bars on windows help needed

Kenny202

Saw some security grills at Global house we wish to install over our windows for some added security. Plan to use screw / bolt into the cement walls for strength but wondering if anyone has any ideas for something I can bolts in the screens with that can't easily be removed with a screwdriver or spanner (re dynabolt, Loxin). One idea I had was to maybe weld the nut to the thread when done up but I don't have a welder.

Yeah I understand about the small deterrent. Just want to slow the local dick heads down should they get the urge, not the professionals. As you say would be easy to break our fibrous cement roof and shimmy in through the suspended ceilings too. Have a decent local alarm system too. Just trying to do as much as I can. To be honest not sure with the Thai psyche if I'm doing the right thing? He has an alarm and security therefore has 50 baht gold in the place. Or because a farang lives here they think that anyway. It's all too hard to work out :-)

I like the 2 pin screws. Would they be available up country at Global house or Home pro?

Kenny202: Those security bars sold at the Surin Global House seem a real value compared to custom made security window bars. If Global House does not have the 2 pin screws each town has a "nut and bolt shop". In Surin the nut and bolt shop where the owners Son is fluent in English is directly across from a Tesco Express Store. In Buriram a nut and bolt shop is next to a Dentist, just one block from the railroad tracks on Highway 2074 not far from the Buriram Ekachon private Hospital. The Buriram nut and bolt shop has wheel barrows and welding gas tanks at the front of the store on the sidewalk. Those sort of family owned shops can usually provide specialty items at a fair cost in my experience.

• Like 2

Have a look on Ebay for security bolts/screws. I have not looked but my guess is you can buy some from China or Taiwan with free shipping world wide. You might think about stainless steel also to prevent corrosion. I used stainless steel Torx screws I bought from Grainger online, had them sent to my home country, then hand carried into Thailand. Be sure to buy a couple of the special head drivers you need.

Edited by rotary
  • Like 1

Use coach bolts and secure them with chemical anchor and a expanding fixing,,,or just use normal expanding fixed head bolts and again squirt some chemical anchor in the hole they wont budge after it sets..

Best alll round is drill and chemical anchor some steel 3/8 square bar into your wall then weld the security grill to the bars surely the guys guys making the grill will install also.

Yeah I understand about the small deterrent. Just want to slow the local dick heads down should they get the urge, not the professionals. As you say would be easy to break our fibrous cement roof and shimmy in through the suspended ceilings too. Have a decent local alarm system too. Just trying to do as much as I can. To be honest not sure with the Thai psyche if I'm doing the right thing? He has an alarm and security therefore has 50 baht gold in the place. Or because a farang lives here they think that anyway. It's all too hard to work out :-)

I like the 2 pin screws. Would they be available up country at Global house or Home pro?

Thanks for the intel; whats the address? wink.png

Don't have any security bars on the windows as I hate the look of them and how do you get out in an emergency? Do have uPVC frames and double glazing, however, it is only 12mm thick and uses 3mm glass! The doors have toughened glass. An automatic day/night security light would be a help and security lights around the house, with sensors.

• Like 2

Don't have any security bars on the windows as I hate the look of them and how do you get out in an emergency? Do have uPVC frames and double glazing, however, it is only 12mm thick and uses 3mm glass! The doors have toughened glass. An automatic day/night security light would be a help and security lights around the house, with sensors.

You don't like bars ? Just like the killers, the robbers and the rapers...

Edited by thefactoryoutlet

Ours were inside, I removed them. I cant understand the obsession here for grills up at all the windows. I did however fit window locks and new doorlockas, deadlocks etc amongst other security improvements.

...as in the post about illegal working, we're all criminals it seems...........

I can really recommend installing safety bars in your house. We did it at a very early stage when our house was finished. This was done seven years ago, and at the time it cost just under 30 000 Baht for all windows and doors in the house, (Around 12 places together with large entrance door, backdoor that can be locked when the normal door is open and so on).

We could got it even cheaper, but we decided to use thicker iron bars in the safety bars, and also a more nice looking design, instead of straight "prison-like" safety bars.

The bars, in a combination of door eyes and sliding extra locks. on the bedroom doors makes us even safer when we sleep at night. In our resort we had more than 10 burglary in houses without safety bars, but with alarm systems instead.

The burglars avoid safety bared houses in favor for more quick entry houses that use alarm systems. A normal burglary is over in a couple of minutes, when an attempt on a properly made safety bared house takes far to long time to do for the bad guys to feel successful without being noticed in their bad deed..

We also installed mosquito nets on all doors and windows, which have drastic lowered our electric bill, when it comes to cooling down the house. And as a last safety feature we installed our lovely dog Lilly, who have a very large built in alarm sound when someone approaches the premises-

I attach some photos of some of our safety bars made here in Hua Hin.

Good luck

Peter from Hua Hin

post-44344-0-21880300-1424777464_thumb.j

post-44344-0-69371900-1424777477_thumb.j

post-44344-0-09344500-1424777491_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello,

Can I know if most of you installed inside or outside ?

And why ?

Thank you.

After a lot of arguements with wife, ours went inside. I wanted the visible deterrent after three burglaries. I lost, but at least they rust slower. Iron gates inside the exterior doors set in an iron frame rawlbolted into the wall. The weakest point was the softwood double front door. Cheap tip. Replace the hinge screws with the biggest you can fit, drill the hole bigger if needs. Strip of iron down the edge of the door to stop the wood around the hinges splintering when kicked. Same around the locking side of the doors to spread any force the whole length of the door.

I totally agree and have wondered about the need for an emergency exit either due to a fire or maybe an intruder. Being trapped in a room relatively safely but no means of escape through a window if necessary concerns me. Has anyone found some reasonably simple but ultimately secure quick release in case of emergency ??

Replying to the OP, I have stainless steel bars on all my windows installed by a professional. Yep there are professionals even in the countryside Issan where I live.

The higher grade stainless steel is better looking than the cheaper iron works. The SS is installed on the outside.

As in other western countries the "look" of security is the main game so the would be intruder will pass up your place and move onto easier marks.

One of the objects is to discourage the local opportunists so they don't bother to attack your home. There are concerns about getting out in case of fire etc but some comprises just have to be made. For the 35 windows and entrances to our home the higher grade stainless steel installed was a total of 140,000 baht two years ago.

I highly recommend it.

1. How many home fires have you heard of here? I have never seen one other than slum village or shophouse with inflammable materials. Most cement/tile homes are not much risk for quick fire danger and every home I have seen has more than one entry door. Do not believe window bars are much of a risk here - in normal wood home of USA I would not feel so confident.

2. Bars should normally be on outside to allow easy access to windows.

3. Agree soft target is the normal target. So it makes sense to have bars - entry would normally take a lot longer and be noisy so much more chance of being found out. You do get used to the view through them. Most Thai that can afford will have so it is not marking you as a target in most locations.

Our house in Jomtien had an electric fence! Was never quite sure it was actually plugged into anything- but looked very impressive!

Personally I would hate to live behind bars.

Do they do those security roller blinds anywhere?

We've just come back from a holiday in Spain and my wife asked if we can get the built in security shutters they use there in Thailand. They're secure and keep out the sun.

Get a couple of rottweilers and make sure they are trained propperly... forget the bars ..you're inviting trouble by putting them up... my mate installed these all over south afrika before apartheid and it was a similar story. You're better of with dogs. We trained the dogs on their names which is not legal in certain country's however we used to walk 15 of them without a lead and they would all conform. Trust me get some dogs.

Edited by bigwhitewarrior

I totally agree and have wondered about the need for an emergency exit either due to a fire or maybe an intruder. Being trapped in a room relatively safely but no means of escape through a window if necessary concerns me. Has anyone found some reasonably simple but ultimately secure quick release in case of emergency ??

You can always go through the roof... that is how most thief's get around bars on the windows.

Kurt

Safety first - when installing bars on windows or door areas, at a minimum you should consider the one's that provide a design that enables a method of exit. They have them with a swing hindge that can be opened from inside the home.

The worst thing someone can do is bar up all windows and not have an alternative exit path in the event of an emergency such as smoke and fire. If you have children in your home it's a good time to think about and talk about safety in the home and exit paths if there were ever a fire.

Bars are a deterrent for potential intruders but don't ever bar yourself in from the inside. Think smart when installing bars on the windows.

• Like 1

I put them on my windows here in "South Central" after getting ripped off too many times,

I would think the thing to do is run bolts all the way through the wall and put pull out pins on the inside ,

in an Emergancy pull the pins and kick out the security bars

and the ones we have here that screw into a wood window frame have special one direction screws and a special bit to tighten them, you need to cut them off with a grinder to get them off.

I am going to put the European roll down ones on my back doors next.

• Like 1