How does the devaluation of the US$ effect Thailand and the exchange rate?

The only ones that are predicting the collapse of the US dollar are those who have an interest in selling off gold before it

collapses in in value. Gold is over inflated in price, and it will drop in value. The United States has so much land own by the federal government soon it will be kicking out foriegn investors and mine gold to replenish all the gold at Ft. Knox which no

longer exists. The US will flood the market with gold to bing its price down. Do you remember when South Korea asked its people to donate their gold jewelry to help raise the value of the Won back in the early 90's? The dollar backs up most of the currencies of the world. If the dollar collapses so will the worlds currencies. China has so much IOU.s from America, it can't afford to loose it all if a collapse happens. These predictions are not very accurate, and the key element behind this, again....Gold is going to drop in value and all of these gold hoarders are trying to sell it off before the downward value of gold begins.

I have to agree with most....

Because at this moment in time, the US depends totally in imports, and 50% of its population is low income by US standard, the US needs to control cost, and the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

Have to disagree... Although the usa loves cheap Imports it can easily survive on its own resources. I wonder how many other countries could do the same?

Brazil is one...it is doing that for the last 30 years....even with oil and gold to give away... and the larger reserve in the world waiting.

But.... that....is a secret. OK?

Brazil can make its own computers and all else it needs? It can manufacture everything it needs, or are you saying it could survive by going back to the stone age? Do you simply mean the people could eat?

The US can grow and fish for everything it needs. It can manufacture everything it needs from its own resources. It can generate all of its own electricity from its own resources. It has the technology, people, resources and all else to keep the home fires burning. I don't know of another country like that.

Tinfoil hats are on sale today, LOL.

Cheers

"in fact the US economy is in a deep depression and its currency is about to go to zero."

Appreciation for your point of view is unlikely when you make irrational comments like this. If the dollar goes to zero how will you price gold and do you plan to pay for groceries with scrapings from you gold?

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Every single currency in the history of the world has gone to zero. It may take time for the USD to lose whatever is left of its original value (it has already lost over 90% of its original purchasing power) but it WILL happen eventually.

Inflation is the most politically accepted way for governemtns to rob their people. Bernanke spelled it for masses, but the sheeple still believe that the banksters are

there to "manage" economy for the good of everybody.

anyone reading this will be dead and buried before your fantasy scenario comes to fruition

Best answer. This thread really makes no sense, but I do wonder what Derek's (aka OP) agenda is. It never ceases to amaze me how some people keep predicting the demise of the USA. You may have some credibility during the bad times, but not now. The US economy is golden compared to almost everyone else. As for the dollar, something like 80% of all global transactions involve the US$. What's going to replace it? The Yuan? China's economy is a House of Cards. The Yen? Japan's been in a recession for like two decades now. The Euro? Now that's just funny. Guess we're stuck with the dollar!

"Berkshire" - is that you Warren? thumbsup.gif

Well that is my namesake. Mr. Buffett and I do agree on a great many things.

The banksters are telling lies about the US economy, they are manipulating stocks higher and Gold lower and lower. Mark my word, its all bankster manipulation. It cant last, the system should implode very soon, possibly within 3 months according to my calculations, in fact, if you look at nostradumus this has been known for a long time, but i have used my understanding of economics to actually pinpoint the time using independent ways and i agree with nostradumus. Anyway, it all started when Greenspan, who is a bankster, ended the Gold standard. Once that happened America started to borrow money from the Chinese and for the first time in US history the country went into debt. Just look at all the bonds, they started only after Greenspan ended the Gold standard. But you cant borrow money if you dont make anything. And another thing the banksters did was destroy US manufacturing which is why almost no US companies make anything. You name it, phones, laptops, cars, they are Chinese. Of course the banksters try to make us think the US makes stuff, but did you know that Apple is now owned by the Chinese? Its not American, iphones are made and designed in China. Same goes for drones and most medicines. The implosion is coming and the only currency that will be accepted will be Gold.

• Like 1

You are missing that the US economy isn't really strengthening, thats just an illusion created by the illuminati and the banksters to fool us all....in fact the US economy is in a deep depression and its currency is about to go to zero. The only way to protect yourself is of course to buy GOLD. The US cant withstand competition from the asians, like that Chinese company called Apple, for example.

Anytime someone brings up the illuminati, the Rothschilds are soon to follow

And just because a post receives a lot of "likes" that doesn't make it correct, just popular

Seems like many or a few on here have missed a couple of facts. BRICS countries are dropping transactions involving the US$, FRance and Germany have bilateral agreements with China and Japan and are not dealing in US$. Few Decades a go the GBP had its run as the worlds reserve currency come to an end after more than 200 years as worlds reserve currency.

I am interested in what would happen in a global economy and how such a situation, however hypothetical, effects 1) Expats in Thailand paid in US$ 2) expats in Thailand paid in Euro, 3) Expats paid in other currencies i.e GBP AUS$ CAD and so on. 4) how such a situation effect Thai economy.

So your on the Euro trying to start shit about the $, Maybe you take care of yours and I will take care of mine.

No. Euro is not my currency as I dont own it, the ECB does, just as US$ is not yours it is the federal reserves! I don't think competitively. I hope all take care very well.as long as it means we get a lot of THB and live well enough to live, love and enjoy life. Big huggs Todd! FYI I also get paid in US$, not Just Euro, Euro is my fixed guaranteed income for life. Been on Disability pension since age of 34 (not 40 yet).US$ income is variable, depending on sales.

Thank you kindly for the person who had the intelligence to ask what the reasoning behind my post. Simple. Consolidation of wealth and is it worth while? most of my cash is in THB with salary (disability pension) in Euro. I have noted EURO/THB and GBP/THB exchange rates have taken a tumble lately. Where as US$ has remained steady but lowly 30-32THB for a very long time. IF such situation occurs does that mean it the US$ will/can pull down the value of other currencies?

Economics and Economy is not my forte I guess some noticed. giggle.gif

Much of Europe is sliding into decline and permanant recession

Russia is facing economic doldrums as its currencty collapses and its financial institutions downgraded

Chinese growth has slowed

Arabia's citizens are furiously killing each other like never before (what's new)

Japan has just tried printing its way out of recession, and failed gloriously

Apart from the UK, Israel, Germany and a hand full of other countries, America is in very good shape

You are correct, even though the doomsday crowd hasn't got a clue. As America becomes the world's largest petrolium producer the dollar continues to gain which subsequently shatters the euro fantasy.

usa isnt strenghting -all other are getting worse.

I not understand why GREEK(a drunkard) is able to negotiate from no power at all? They arent willing to do a thing to help themselves.

Not doing a thing to help themselves? They've suffered a 25% decline in their economy to satisfy the sadists in Frankfurt and Brussels. By cutting their government services, health care, and old age pensions, they have succeeded in having a primary surplus now. That is, their government is collecting more revenues than they are spending, except for interest on debt. I believe the current surplus is 1.45% and the Troika are demanding 4.5%. The Greeks are asking for some slack. Not more money, just a slowdown in the payments, which will never pay off their debt anyway. Why are the Troika so insistent on starving old people, anyway?

Seems like many or a few on here have missed a couple of facts. BRICS countries are dropping transactions involving the US$, FRance and Germany have bilateral agreements with China and Japan and are not dealing in US$. Few Decades a go the GBP had its run as the worlds reserve currency come to an end after more than 200 years as worlds reserve currency.

I am interested in what would happen in a global economy and how such a situation, however hypothetical, effects 1) Expats in Thailand paid in US$ 2) expats in Thailand paid in Euro, 3) Expats paid in other currencies i.e GBP AUS$ CAD and so on. 4) how such a situation effect Thai economy.

So your on the Euro trying to start shit about the $, Maybe you take care of yours and I will take care of mine.

No. Euro is not my currency as I dont own it, the ECB does, just as US$ is not yours it is the federal reserves! I don't think competitively. I hope all take care very well.as long as it means we get a lot of THB and live well enough to live, love and enjoy life. Big huggs Todd! FYI I also get paid in US$, not Just Euro, Euro is my fixed guaranteed income for life. Been on Disability pension since age of 34 (not 40 yet).US$ income is variable, depending on sales.

Thank you kindly for the person who had the intelligence to ask what the reasoning behind my post. Simple. Consolidation of wealth and is it worth while? most of my cash is in THB with salary (disability pension) in Euro. I have noted EURO/THB and GBP/THB exchange rates have taken a tumble lately. Where as US$ has remained steady but lowly 30-32THB for a very long time. IF such situation occurs does that mean it the US$ will/can pull down the value of other currencies?

So since most of your income is in Euro, I'd imagine you'd personally prefer the Euro to be stronger. But you can't be making predictions simply based on "wishful thinking."

No one has a crystal ball that can predict with 100% certainty. But based on what's going on in the Euro zone, I'd say the Euro is headed lower in the short and medium term, relative to both the US$ and THB. Greece is just the tip of the iceberg. As for the US, the Fed's are already contemplating an increase in interest rates. That will happen. And when it does, what do you think that would do to the US$? Hmmm, I'd say strengthen it...and substantially. Not good for US exports, but certainly good for those of us living overseas and receiving US$.

• Like 1

<snip>

Ah, slightly more understandable. No, economics is not your forte. The Euro recently declined against the Baht because it has also declined against the dollar. It declined against the dollar because the Very Serious People in Brussels and Frankfurt seem determined to force Greece to leave the monetary union, and their other economic policies seem to be pushing the Euro Zone toward another recession. The dollar was sliding down until the Yellow Shirts disrupted things enough to force Gen Prayuth to act, but since then the Bank of Thailand has been able to hold the Baht steady at a comfortable (for them) 32.5:1 range.

My income is in dollars, although I live in Thailand. I have suffered anxiety for many years because the dollar is clearly overvalued and the U.S. has been running a staggering trade deficit (which holds back their economy) since Clinton was President. In my heart I know the day must come when the dollar is revalued to a more realistic level. Intellectually I know that day is not going to come soon, because Germany, Japan, and China all buy dollars to keep their currencies undervalued against the dollar so they will be able to sell more to the U.S. They aren't going to stop doing that any time soon, especially Germany. At the moment China is actually working to keep the yuan from depreciating (i.e. lowering) against the dollar, which is an interesting reversal. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2013/04/29/why-doomsters-who-predict-the-collpase-of-money-are-wrong/
Why Doomsters Who Predict The Collapse Of Money Are Wrong

From all the doom and gloom about U.S. and European economics you would have thought the end of the financial world was nigh. In fact a lot of people are saying that right now.

Want some good news? It is not going to happen.

That is not to say I haven’t written a lot of gloomy economic stuff myself. Yet, to be honest, I’m over that now. The economic accident happened in 2007/2008. The developed world’s economy didn’t die. It is now recovering. It is only a start but we have entered a new era nonetheless.

The idea is, U.S. and Europe are on a binge of deficit spending and this has created a titanic overhead of sovereign debt that can’t be supported or repaid.

This is correct. But do not panic.

The conclusion of the doomsters is that consequently the economic world will implode and the globe will spin off its axis into outer darkness. Well, the bit about spinning out of the orbit of the sun is an exaggeration, but not by much.

The doomsters see a collapse of so called fiat money, i.e. money as we know it and an economic and social breakdown will follow. Gold and bullets are to be the only currency.

According to this line of prediction, we should all be rearing chickens in anticipation and ready to grow bean shoots in our closets for food. While you are at it, get some plans to create a stealth smokehouse. Forget zombies; the marauders of the future financial collapse are going to be real people.

Woe on us, prepare!

This prepper-view is nonsense. The view that fiat money is going to disappear is mad and silly. Fiat money is going nowhere, except down in value.

Whatever the political and economic rights and wrongs of the matter, what happens next is as close to the doomsters fall of the Roman Empire part 2, as a roller coaster ride is to a plane crash.

Why?

It is infuriatingly simple. Let us say the U.S. government got to a state that it owed 120% of GDP in debt. The U.S. is not there yet but it will likely get there soon enough.

What happens next? The U.S. simply engineers a 7% rate of inflation, all other things being equal and in two Presidential cycles U.S. debt to GDP is roughly halved to the old sweet spot of 60% to GDP. Of course modelling that with all the possible variables is way more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Halving the value of money does the trick of sorting out this whole sorry mess. Now that might sound horrendous but it is not.

So okay you are a doomster and you think the end is nigh and that gold is money. Well, gold has gone up roughly 10% a year compounded since the end of Bretton Woods in 1971. This implies an average compound rate of inflation of 10%; if you believe that gold is real, inviolate, hard money, which as a doomster you most definitely do.

The world didn’t end over those 40 years as money was devalued forty fold. The fiat system didn’t implode, in fact everyone got a lot richer, even though in the meantime 2.5 cents of gold became worth a dollar or put in gold standard terms, 2.5 cents in 1971 has been inflated to $1 today.

If the dollar got devalued in real terms at 10% a year, as we have enjoyed in gold terms on average for 42 straight years, a 120% debt to GDP would hit 60% in around 6 years. This is why it is not a good idea to panic and get doomy.

The key is to be positioned for the denouement of current economic rescue attempts. The solution is the dilution of debt, through the devaluation of money. The governments of the west will not run out of money. That’s impossible. What will happen to rebalance the debts of the U.S. and Europe is what we need to focus on.

In a nutshell, bonds are going to get monetised. Sovereign debt will be turned into cash. Operation twist has put a large proportion of that mountain of debt at the short end of maturities. The economy of the U.S. is going to get very liquid indeed. That is the one thought to hold.

If you believe the developed world is going to get into a tail spin, it won’t be that fiat money will disappear. Instead there will be much more of it about.

The question therefore is how to play the outcome of cash flooding everything.

You can do worse than look back to the seventies to see what happened and use that period as a model of what to do. The answer isn’t to prepare for Armageddon. It is to invest in inflation linked assets producing index linked yield.

So perhaps buying bits of mountain desert to rent out to terrified ‘preppers’ is the way to go, because not only will the property value and rent rise with real inflation, you’ll also be paid in gold.

• Like 1

usa isnt strenghting -all other are getting worse.

I not understand why GREEK(a drunkard) is able to negotiate from no power at all? They arent willing to do a thing to help themselves.

The European Union are afraid of losing Greece to Russia or possibly USA. If they cant near their terms from the EU they will run to somebody else for money. Russia is waiting with open armms for this. I hope the EU and Greece will find a solvent solution.

I have to agree with most....

I agree with the ones saying that the US is in recession and going down, because again the corporations are increasing its bank accounts repeating the real estate boom, and manipulating the stock market, until a new crisis. Also creating more wars and more military spending....leading to the big one, because the US is loosing the world dominance.

I agree with the ones saying that the US never will go down, because in its way the US corporations will "win" the wars are creating, even a big one, and will keep and strength its control around the world.

Because at this moment in time, the US depends totally in imports, and 50% of its population is low income by US standard, the US needs to control cost, and the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

About Thailand. If its stay out of control for any of the players will be OK, and not taking sides with the US or Russia. China will be fool if taking sides too. At the same time Thailand needs to increase its exports and buyers options, and China is the best at this moment, because China economy only can grow with the ongoing "war" US - Russia, and cutting its oil dependency using other energy options in development.

China and ASEAN countries will grow sharing technology and with investments, and even more if not get involved in a nonsense war.

Most of what Americans produce is sold to other Americans; exports account for just under 14 percent of U.S. gross domestic product. As the world’s largest economy, the U.S. is far more insulated, according to 2013 World Bank data, than Germany, where exports are 51 percent of GDP, the U.K. (31 percent), or China (26 percent). http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-10-14/dont-worry-about-the-stock-market-dot-the-economy-is-just-fine

The Census Bureau, using an alternative measure to the government's main poverty gauge, said the figure was virtually unchanged from a year earlier with the overall poverty rate stuck at 16 percent.

The official poverty line is $23,283 (758,077 THB) per year for a family of four with two adults and two children, but it varies based on household size.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/06/us-usa-economy-poverty-idUSBRE9A513820131106

The USA is one of the least dependent nations on the planet when it comes to reliance on foreign trade.

Edited by bassman
  • Like 1

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its currency ?? Am I missing something here ?

You are missing that the US economy isn't really strengthening, thats just an illusion created by the illuminati and the banksters to fool us all....in fact the US economy is in a deep depression and its currency is about to go to zero. The only way to protect yourself is of course to buy GOLD. The US cant withstand competition from the asians, like that Chinese company called Apple, for example.

"in fact the US economy is in a deep depression and its currency is about to go to zero."

Appreciation for your point of view is unlikely when you make irrational comments like this. If the dollar goes to zero how will you price gold and do you plan to pay for groceries with scrapings from you gold?

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

You seem to have forgotten the events of 2007-8, when the US and the entire financial system teetered on the brink of collapse. We have never really recovered from the devastating effects of this widely-predicted catastrophe, nor fixed its causes. So it IS possible, indeed some would argue likely, that such an event will occur again, in the not-to- far-distant future, with even more horrendous results for the world economy.

It is not feasible that the US dollar will drop to zero value any time soon, but its dramatic erosion over time compared with gold is inarguable (take a look at a few historical gold/dollar charts). The dollar is not pegged to gold, nor has been since Nixon's era.

Gold has an intrinsic value which fiat currencies (of which only one dollar in three is backed by a real asset) do not and has commonly been used to purchase essential goods and service in places where paper money has become virtually worthless (Germany, Argentina, Zambia, to mention a few examples within living memory; there are countless others throughout history).

While the price of gold may fluctuate - wildly on occasions - in line with changing world economic circumstances (some manipulation of the market is also suspected as a recent cause) the precious metal has to be a far more secure investment, over time, than the dollar. Many experts believe the US currency will eventually to lose its dominance as the world's reserve currency, possibly in the relatively near future, to be replaced, probably, by a basket of currencies.

Hope none of this is too irrational for you. Love the hat.

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its currency ?? Am I missing something here ?

How amazing that the whole world is misinformed about the American economy but you are not and you know the "real" truth. Where do you get such accurate and reliable information?

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its cursoucerency ?? Am I missing something here ?

How amazing that the whole world is misinformed about the American economy but you are not and you know the "real" truth. Where do you get such accurate and reliable information?

A good source for that type of info is Mike Adams at Natural News dot com. Basically, Obama wrecked the economy, is now force feeding us GMO's and vaccines, and soon will be feeding our brains to zombies.

-snip-

...the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

LOL.

Cars manufactured in the US. (Just as an example.) LINK

c2_zpsjj8wfij5.jpg

MADE IN THE USA is not equal to ASSEMBLED IN THE US USA with foreign parts..and by ROBOTS......and many for exports to balance the trade,....and...5 million cars only?...for a country with more than 300 million population? How about the numbers for USA brands and Foreign brands in your list? This may be a new economic strategy I do not know....Import more to export more....the SAME PRODUCT!. Very smart!

-snip-

...the only way to keep its people "happy" is keeping the dollar strong to keep using other's countries cheap labor and products..

LOL.

Cars manufactured in the US. (Just as an example.) LINK

c2_zpsjj8wfij5.jpg

MADE IN THE USA is not equal to ASSEMBLED IN THE USA with foreign parts..and by ROBOTS......and many for exports to balance the trade,....and...5 million cars only?...for a country with more than 300 million population? How about the numbers for USA brands and Foreign brands in your list? This may be a new economic strategy I do not know....Import more to export more....the SAME PRODUCT!. Very smart! ..

But....its may be right. I met some people here that buy LEVIS in the USA not knowing that are made in Thailand.....and saying that NEVER will buy nothing made in China...but had APPLE phones and APPLE tablets its bought in the USA and are MADE IN CHINA like most APPLE products.. Sounds too familiar to you?

I know...I know...labels says MADE IN THE USA.

Many products are sold for exports without labels and with special contracts allowing the importer to use its own labels. Next time you buy Italian very expensive and fancy leather shoes......tell your friends the truth. Are MADE IN BRAZIL.

Welcome to the 'GLOBAL ECONOMY"

Edited by umbanda

Why in the name of all this is holy would a strengthening economy devalue its cursoucerency ?? Am I missing something here ?

A good source for that type of info is Mike Adams at Natural News dot com. Basically, Obama wrecked the economy, is now force feeding us GMO's and vaccines, and soon will be feeding our brains to zombies.

Oh yes... rights right... blame Obama for all your problems. GMO's are world wide and the parents that refuse vaccinations are now feeling the backlash with Measles coming back. Not to mention unemployment is much lower than when he first stepped into office. But yeah... go ahead blame Obama.

Devaluation? Wrong term. FX rates fluctuate, for several reasons, but a currency is physically devalued to correct pricing anomalies, or to help a country's export market.

And I would point out that forecasts/predictions, whether from TV or any other source, would be 50% right ... and 50% wrong.

• Like 1

You seem to have forgotten the events of 2007-8, when the US and the entire financial system teetered on the brink of collapse. We have never really recovered from the devastating effects of this widely-predicted catastrophe, nor fixed its causes. So it IS possible, indeed some would argue likely, that such an event will occur again, in the not-to- far-distant future, with even more horrendous results for the world economy.

It is not feasible that the US dollar will drop to zero value any time soon, but its dramatic erosion over time compared with gold is inarguable (take a look at a few historical gold/dollar charts). The dollar is not pegged to gold, nor has been since Nixon's era.

Gold has an intrinsic value which fiat currencies (of which only one dollar in three is backed by a real asset) do not and has commonly been used to purchase essential goods and service in places where paper money has become virtually worthless (Germany, Argentina, Zambia, to mention a few examples within living memory; there are countless others throughout history).

While the price of gold may fluctuate - wildly on occasions - in line with changing world economic circumstances (some manipulation of the market is also suspected as a recent cause) the precious metal has to be a far more secure investment, over time, than the dollar. Many experts believe the US currency will eventually to lose its dominance as the world's reserve currency, possibly in the relatively near future, to be replaced, probably, by a basket of currencies.

Hope none of this is too irrational for you. Love the hat.

I disagree that there could be any basket of currencies for international exchange. I think there has to be just one thing that absolutely everyone will accept for goods and services.

What basket of currencies would there be that anyone would accept? What would that basket look like and what would I be paid in? What is this basket that could be transferred so easily?

Central banks the world over hold USD to back their foreign exchange. Thailand does in the form of Treasuries. So does China. So does Russia.

What would that one thing be that everyone would accept without question, and that would be easy to transfer in the information age?

Edited by NeverSure

Oh yes... rights right... blame Obama for all your problems. GMO's are world wide and the parents that refuse vaccinations are now feeling the backlash with Measles coming back. Not to mention unemployment is much lower than when he first stepped into office. But yeah... go ahead blame Obama.

You're coveniently forgetting to mention the FEMA camps and the government's cover-up of the ongoing ebola epidemic.

You're coveniently forgetting to mention the FEMA camps and the government's cover-up of the ongoing ebola epidemic.

Oh did I? Im sure your FOX news has reported everything you need to know, so no use in me saying anything for you. I assume you miss the good ol' days of Bush jr? I recall he also had issues with FEMA involving Katrina. Don't worry though in less than a couple years Jeb Bush will be your saving grace now that the right wing nut jobs have been busy brainwashing.

Edited by bangarang

Oh did I? Im sure your FOX news has reported everything you need to know, so no use in me saying anything for you. I assume you miss the good ol' days of Bush jr? I recall he also had issues with FEMA involving Katrina. Don't worry though in less than a couple years Jeb Bush will be your saving grace now that the right wing nut jobs have been busy brainwashing.

Bush Jr and Jeb were/are lackeys for the NWO too. The only remaing hope for America is that Rand Paul will be elected president and restore liberty and the gold standard.

Bush Jr and Jeb were/are lackeys for the NWO too. The only remaing hope for America is that Rand Paul will be elected president and restore liberty and the gold standard.

LoL... love it. The last thing america needs is an Ultra Conservative in office.