Renting Farm Land In Isaan

Greenside

My wife has a small plot in Buriram which her brother is no longer able to work for health reasons. The plan is to rent it out and use the income to support her brother but we're at a loss when it comes to getting an unbiased opinion as to what might be a fair rent.

The area is 15 rai in two blocks close together with good access which has been used for growing rice and, as far as I know, kept in decent order. She just got an offer of 100,000 baht for a 5 year lease on the whole area (1330 baht per rai per year) which seems pretty low to me and I suspect that as it came through a third party it's probably been trimmed to give him a commission. I'm sure that local supply and demand will vary a lot but does anyone have experience that would give us some kind of benchmark or a suggestion as to how to arrive at a fair price?

Your help appreciated.

In my area if land can only be farmed in the rainy season for 1 crop it goes for 500-600. If there is water available for

multiple crops it doubles and can be higher for better land. 1300 per year for a rai sounds reasonable. I'm not saying you

couldn't get more, but maybe better to put 100K in the bank. The price of rice is no longer your worry for 5 years.