Will The Wife Get Any Thing...?

walking wallet

Quote from the link - Men or civil partners born on or after 5 October 1945 may now be able to pass on a maximum of 50% of their SERPS pension to their wife or civil partner.

This may well be, but this is not the same as the Widows Pension which I was referring to..Did you not read the Widows Pension section?

SERPS is an additional pension which some people may have paid into and a widow may be entitled to claim part of this if payments had been made into SERPS. This does not mean that the widow gets the percentage of the deceased persons state pension, but a portion of the SERPS pension.

She can also make a claim for a portion if the pension had not been claimed or a delayed claim to pension was made by her late husband.

Hi Folks:

Well as I said before I have today seny an email off to an Ex-colleague from this dept. Will have an answer for you all very soon .I also requested guidance on what you need to do to achieve this, so bear with my guys.

There seems to be lot of transparent answers here about the subject hopefully I can get you all a concrete one.

Have a Nice day

macb

As far as I am aware A UK Widows Pension is only available to a widow whose husband died before 9/4/2001.

Just curious as to where you got that info? The water seems to be getting murkier :o

www.direct.gov.uk This is the official UK government site.

So what you're saying, is that if the husband died after 9/4/2001, the wife gets nothing. This can't be right can it? :D I think you must have misread something.

If you Take The Trouble to read the website with regard to widows pensions the information is there. I have only repeated what is written there. I have not misread anything. If you don`t think that it is correct then I would suggest that you contact the relevant government department. :D

P.T. is correct but all that it means is a new regulation came in after this changing who can claim.

I think you will find that the equal opportunities comes into force after this date.

Now a wife, husband or partner can apply for this allowance.

As i mentioned in an earlier post i was informed that my Thai wife could qualify for widows allowance purely based on my contributions and doesn,t have to reside or have been resident in the U.K.

This was verbal information given to me ( 3 months ago ) be the pensions help line while enquiring if indeed my wife would be able to claim any benefits of any kind apart from the 1 year bereavement allowances.

This was due to her being well under retirement age ( 45 ) and obviously unable to get O.A.P. allowances on my demise.

Should anyone wish to ring the pensions 0800 or the 0834 help line in the U.K. and enquire it should be confirmed to them also.

The full telephone no. can be got from the benefits section, post office ect. but be prepared for a long wait.

It,s best to telephone just after 08.00

I hope this helps with sorting out the confusion and misunderstandings.

Perhaps if someone else gets this info. they can kindly post it on this thread also please.

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S.

If she is over 45 and you have paid enough contributions ( N.Ins. ) she should be able to make a claim.

Edited by marshbags

HI ..macb

I am standing by for the info...

Thanks ............... WW

[Got an email reply my from a friend who works for the Pension Dept. The office we need to look at is in Newcastle, its called the 'Overseas Bereavement Beneflit' First yes pension can be sent to other countries.

The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. i.e. have you got a wedding certificate in THailand.

My colleague tried to find a phone number but could not understandable I know he/she is very busy.

I will have a look on the internet see if I can find this dept maybe a booklet that is downloadable.

Slow progress but will get there.] Please bear with me

macb

HI ..macb

I am standing by for the info...

Thanks ............... WW

[Got an email reply my from a friend who works for the Pension Dept. The office we need to look at is in Newcastle, its called the 'Overseas Bereavement Beneflit' First yes pension can be sent to other countries.

The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. i.e. have you got a wedding certificate in THailand.

My colleague tried to find a phone number but could not understandable I know he/she is very busy.

I will have a look on the internet see if I can find this dept maybe a booklet that is downloadable.

Slow progress but will get there.] Please bear with me

macb

..............................................ended

Taken from " post 21 " to compliment the marriage status referred to in this one.

Quote:-

P.S.

So long as you marry in Thailand at the Gov. Amphur ( not a religious ceremony ) it is a legal marriage not a religious one, it is also legally recognised in the U.K.

Before marrying in Thailand you have to have certain documentation from the British Embassy to qualify legally.

Quote ended...........................................................................

If you marry at the amphurs you are given a wedding certificate along with the details in another document.

Get them translated into English for future reference at a recognised translation office and if you really want to be water tight get it certified at the M.O.F.Affairs.

The translation office should be able to do this for you.

( I paid aprox. 600 baht altogether for these services. )

marshbags :o:D:D

[WW Heres a link for the Dept of Works and Pension web site in the sites search box type in Overseas Bereavement Benefit there is also an email link which I will add I will put the info on here for others as well. I will look into as well]

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/s..._agreements.asp

The Pension Service

International Pension Centre

Tyneview Park

Whitley Road

Newcastle-upon-Tyne

NE98 1BA

UK phone: 0191 218 7777

UK fax: 0191 218 3836

Email: [email protected]

WW. You know your domestic set so you can email for enqs mate. Hope this helps if i get more will post on here.

macb

Hi...macb thanks for getting back with some info, just looking at this part ...

( The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. i.e. have you got a wedding certificate in THailand. )

When we got married we were offered the option by the British Embassy in Bangkok of Offically recording our Marriage in the UK , by sending a copy of the wedding certificate , and English Translation , and of course a fee , the documents were sent to ....

The General Register Office in the UK , we then received back a confirmation registration number

that out marriage was now recorded and listed so may be this is what the ... ( The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. ) may be about ..?

Thanks WW

Hi...macb thanks for getting back with some info, just looking at this part ...

( The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. i.e. have you got a wedding certificate in THailand. )

When we got married we were offered the option by the British Embassy in Bangkok of Offically recording our Marriage in the UK , by sending a copy of the wedding certificate , and English Translation , and of course a fee , the documents were sent to ....

The General Register Office in the UK , we then received back a confirmation registration number

that out marriage was now recorded and listed so may be this is what the ... ( The overseas dept would need to investigate to see if your marriage in THailand is recognised in the UK. ) may be about ..?

Thanks WW

[if you include in an email enquiry what you just tols me that wil probablt sort it, my wife is pregnant so we will be Regering when the babe is born]

macb