Buying a bike, private sale.. what's needed?

MuayThaiGuy

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a bike in the next couple days. It'll most likely be a private sale.

Just wondering what's incolved with the ownership transfer process?

What paperwork do I need (green book etc.) and where do I have to go to get the name changed?

I'll be putting the bike in my Thai girlfriends name temporarily.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to put the bike in your gf's name "temporarily"? (unless you are here on a tourist visa and therefore unable to register it in your name?)

Reason I ask is because it would just cause extra hassle if you want to take the bike into say Laos or Malaysia. Also, the insurance would also have to be in her name etc

Yeah, that's the reason. I'm here on a tourist visa.

I would transfer it into my name next time I get a non-immigrant visa and obtaining a residency certificate is a little easier.

Would the insurance being in my girlfriends name not cover damages resulting from an accident while I was driving?

You need to go with the seller to the Transport office, take GF too. Easiest way to do the transfer.

If that is not possible then you will need copy of the sellers ID and 2 further forms, one is a power of attorney and the other is the actual transfer form. Both to be signed by seller.

I just transferred my bike into my wifes name, so its still fresh in my head. Good luck :)

You need to go with the seller to the Transport office, take GF too. Easiest way to do the transfer.

If that is not possible then you will need copy of the sellers ID and 2 further forms, one is a power of attorney and the other is the actual transfer form. Both to be signed by seller.

I just transferred my bike into my wifes name, so its still fresh in my head. Good luck smile.png

Just the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I would transfer it into my name next time I get a non-immigrant visa and obtaining a residency certificate is a little easier.

Would the insurance being in my girlfriends name not cover damages resulting from an accident while I was driving?

Not 100% about the insurance thingy. Two of my bikes are in my gf's name as is the insurance. Fortunately, never had to find out how to make a claim yet.

You can buy a car or motorcycle on a tourist visa, in your name... All you need is a residency certificate...

I was reading on here and apparently Bangkok immigration doesn't issue residency certificates to those on tourist visas?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706644-bangkok-problem-with-certificate-of-residence/

Were you able to get a residency certificate while on a tourist visa?

You can buy a car or motorcycle on a tourist visa, in your name... All you need is a residency certificate...

I was reading on here and apparently Bangkok immigration doesn't issue residency certificates to those on tourist visas?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706644-bangkok-problem-with-certificate-of-residence/

It depends on where in Thailand. I was able to get a residency certificate from Chonburi immigration a few years back. All I had to do was to get the resort I was staying at to stamp on my Agoda confirmation (I was only staying there for 3 nights, haha). With that stamp, immigration issued me a RC which I took to the DLT to get my bike and car licence.

As far as I know, Chonburi was the only immigration office that would do that. Not sure about now though, especially with all the recent clampdowns.

The tourist visa is not the obstacle to registering a vehicle in a foreigner's name, it is the lack of a residence certificate. I suppose you could get one from your embassy but they are expensive and the Land Transport Dept. may not like them or may want them translated.

Would it be possible to "reside" somewhere else like Pattaya?

Edited by Briggsy

Yes, in Chiang Mai...

All my bikes are on my name and I am on a tourist visa. Went to Phuket Immigration and got a certificate of residence for 300THB (officially free but oh well...) and that's it. Go to the DLT and let them transfer ownership.

Don't "temporarily" put it on your GFs name if it is money you would miss. It's really easy to get it on your name. Try at least.

Oh and btw if you want to get a local drivers license you will need a certificate of residence anyways. Better get 2 or 3 at the same time!

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

The tourist visa is not the obstacle to registering a vehicle in a foreigner's name, it is the lack of a residence certificate. I suppose you could get one from your embassy but they are expensive and the Land Transport Dept. may not like them or may want them translated.

Would it be possible to "reside" somewhere else like Pattaya?

My embassy one had to be translated - I went to Chaeng Wattana for that. I don't know if they issue them on tourist visas though.

So, there is your answer from darkian.

As Chaeng Wattana will not issue certificates of residence to foreigners on tourist visas, get the letter from the Embassy. Have it translated and register the bike in your own name.

"Oh and btw if you want to get a local drivers license you will need a certificate of residence anyways. Better get 2 or 3 at the same time!"

You use the residency certificate at a government office for the first proceedure. That office can make you a certified copy of the residency certificate for use at the next government office, and so on. No need to get more than one.

BTW - remember that they expire after 30 days.

I just transferred my bike into my wifes name, so its still fresh in my head. Good luck smile.png

I just watched my tgf do the same in Phuket and the procedure stated above is as I /we experienced it

EXCEPT , the Phuket Dept of Motor Vehicles also required as well as the above ;

Signed photocopies of the sellers VISA and expirey stamp ( ie the stamp showing the date the Visa expires )

PLUS signed photocopy of the sellers Exit Card

This basically means that if you buy a vehicle from a non-Thai whose Visa has expired you will NOT be able to transfer it to your name , OR the staff may hold their hands out to facilitate a way around that

The sellers Visa in my tgfs case had a Visa expiring on March 22

Not once but twice today , as she went to transfer ownership to herself , staff suggested that the sellers Visa had expired and she had to assert that this was still February and wasnt the case

Id love to know what 'payment' to fix things would have been demanded had it really expired on Feb 22 as the staff "suggested"

So do not buy any vehicle without a copy of the sellers CURRENT Visa !

And sellers , make sure you start selling and complete the sale of your vehicle well before your Visa expires if you are leaving LT or forever!

I swear every new law in this country is designed to <deleted> the foreigner over

The minimum (government insurance) will cover you for driving the bike as long as you have a valid licence (Thai) or International Driving Licence for a motorbike, depends where you are in the country (CM used to recognize a UK Licence but not any more.

Not 100% about the insurance thingy. Two of my bikes are in my gf's name as is the insurance. Fortunately, never had to find out how to make a claim yet.

The CTPL (compulsory) insurance is for any licenced driver..... it doesn't really give much cover.

Why do you need to have the bikes in your gf's name....... is your driving licence in her name too?