Australia: Canned tuna from Thailand under scrutiny

webfact

as far as i am aware, canning kills everything. so it the cafe who are at fault for bad storage.

that said some of the tinned tuna one buys in thailand tastes as if the fish used is close to rotten when it was being tinned. adding salt improves it to edible

huh..... aware that canning kill everything ? you ment to say proper canning kills everything ? canned food kills hundreds of people every year. half the time it is not known for quite some time the reason for death. a sharp doc or coroner spots a pattern, then it is looked into. :-)

Only 4 people ill and they are blaming the tuna, give me a break!!!!

If it was poisoned tuna surely there would be a hell of a lot more people ill?

Much more likely to be poor hygene practices in the cafe.

Well, it depends on how many people actually ate tuna. Of those some people may not have gotten ill, or had mild symptoms.

It's a good thing that Australia is taking this seriously and trying to find out where the problem lies. Whether it is the canning process or the restaurant, a little problem could become a big one if it is ignored.

• Like 1

are these the quality fish I hear so much about?

John Bull should not be confused with John West. Two different companies. John Bull Tuna is canned in bulk for restaurant and cafes not found in supermarkets.

HOWEVER John West also use tuna from Thailand. I had some for my lunch yesterday.

So do Aldi in Australia, if you pick up a can of tuna in an Aldi store in Australia I will bet my 1st born it is product of Thailand

as far as i am aware, canning kills everything. so it the cafe who are at fault for bad storage.

that said some of the tinned tuna one buys in thailand tastes as if the fish used is close to rotten when it was being tinned. adding salt improves it to edible

huh..... aware that canning kill everything ? you ment to say proper canning kills everything ? canned food kills hundreds of people every year. half the time it is not known for quite some time the reason for death. a sharp doc or coroner spots a pattern, then it is looked into. :-)

Unfortunately canning (cooking) does not kill everything, cooking does not "kill" toxins, either bacterial toxins or algae born toxins. It kills the bacteria yes. Have a look at my entry # 58.

Edited by Mot Dang

Only 4 people ill and they are blaming the tuna, give me a break!!!!

If it was poisoned tuna surely there would be a hell of a lot more people ill?

Much more likely to be poor hygene practices in the cafe.

Well, it depends on how many people actually ate tuna. Of those some people may not have gotten ill, or had mild symptoms.

It's a good thing that Australia is taking this seriously and trying to find out where the problem lies. Whether it is the canning process or the restaurant, a little problem could become a big one if it is ignored.

true like so many aussies contracting hepatitis from chinese berries.

John Bull Tuna is owned by Mckenzie foods an Australian company based in Melbourne. They moved thier operations to Thailand a few years ago as part of restructuring and cost cutting. If you look at thier cans it will say Australian owned company with the Australian symbol. It will also say imported product. This will be enough for Thailand to void all responsibility on them.

It seems 4 people so far may be connected to the word 'void' ( discharge or drain away (water, gases, etc.) whilst Thailand avoids responsibility.... tongue.png

Void is for the most part, correct. The problem is with the preposition, "on" and the superfluous use of the pronoun "them." Had the phrase come to a full stop after void, it would have meant Thailand possessed (at least in their minds) sufficient cause to be discharged of all responsibility in this matter. Similarly to its usage in the phrase, "null and void."

Thank you. I also am a big monty python fan. That Life of Brian movie was a classic. Now write that out 100 times before dawn. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

my theory would be the cafe also, we are talking 1 can of TUNA here, if this was the case of pre shop storage, it is logical to assume there would be thousand of cans with the same problem, you dont go fishing for TUNA and end up with one can. i rest my case

I'm working for a Tuna company. If it is for restaurant, they normally order cans in 66.5 oz. So you can imagine how many orders of tuna sandwiches you make make out of 66.5 oz tuna.

Edited by midimaster
  • Like 2

Sometimes restaurants open the tuna annd keep it in the fridge for a long so it goes bad. This was the case at Salad concept in Chiangmai as well. The tuna was rotten filth. I probably would have been sent to the hospital if had eaten that tuna but fortunately I sent it back to the kitchen and got something else. This the fault of lazy restaurant employees not the fault of the tuna company..could happen anywhere.

In this case, the tuna was already processed, i.e. canned. The nature of the illness does not support your scenario.

All this bashings just because 4 people fell sick.

I am thinking how many cans of fish this factory manufactured... 4? Or out of the entire production only 4 people have eaten yet?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by ravip

All 4 crook at the same cafe. Anyone think that maybe it is not because the fish is from Thailand. Just maybe there might be some cleanliness issues at the cafe. God forgive me for not laying the blame on Thailand

The type of illness diagnosed in this case has nothing to do with cleanliness. The fish has to be rotten before it is processed to obtain the results described in the case.

For the record, this is a regular occurrence in the fish processing business. However, the large processors have quality control programs that regularly sample production runs. If anything is discovered, the entire lot is destroyed. Instead of blaming the cafe, I suggest you look at the processor and ask why the QC/QA failed.

• Like 1

All this bashings just because 4 people fell sick.

I am thinking how many cans of fish this factory manufactured... 4?

rolleyes.gif

The production run for this processor must be traced and sampled. If the tainted tuna was not identified by sampling during production, then this suggests that the processor and distributor have a big problem on their hands. This type of event typically results in a product recall.

Others, especially the Enterobacteriaceae, are contaminants that are introduced post-harvest. It is this second group that is considered most important in the development of histamine. Species such asMorganella morganii, Raoultella planticola and Hafnia alvei are able to produce high levels of histamine very rapidly at mesophilic temperatures (20-30oC)

i read this as the histamine could very likely have been due to contamination at the cafe, and due to its singular local occurrence from just 1 can the cafe is the most likely source.

qed,

Edited by koo wallety tourist

Thank god only four people ordered chunky style tuna from that cafe before they found out it was so dangerous to be honest its nothing short of a miracle as i'm sure they were not the only food outlets that had that particular batch of deadly fish on their menu there could have been a lot more people becoming slightly unwell

What the hell are you talking about ?

This not Thailand problem - if you not buy our tuna then you not get sick blink.png

If you not come Thailand then you not have accident - your fault blink.png

cheesy.gif yes exactly like a child would say: I didnt do it ...

You both need to be put back in the playpen and sleep it off.

People die every day here from food poisoning but you 'll never hear about it because nobody reports on it. Food safety standards here are extremely low but there is no system for identifying or putting a stop to an outbreak of food borne illnesses. 20 people eat at the same restaurant. All get sick all go to different hospitals where staff never ask what may have happened and the data never gets collected by a central agency.

PEOPLE: LIFE IS CHEAP IN THAILAND AND LOTS OF FOOD SELLERS DO ALL TYPES OF CRAP TO THEIR FOOD TO MAKE SURE IT STILL SMELLS FRESH.

Buyer beware.

I get sick here like clockwork at least once a year from bad food.

Last November I got sick on clams (pippies) in Cha Am. It turned out to be algae toxin poisoning, algae that the clams had been eating. The clams tasted fine, and they were alive before being stir fried. Ended up in Hua Hin Bangkok hospital, two nights in ICU. Not nice, lost so much fluid in the hour before reaching hospital that my potassium levels dropped so low that my heart went into arrhythmia. On reaching hospital the doctors said I had 30 minutes before I would have croaked. The trouble with this toxin, no amount of cooking reduces the effect. Funny I cannot look at seafood the same way now.

I don't eat clams either since severe case of the shits from the pier at Hua Hin.Bloody new years eve as well.Put on a drip,then sent back to hotel to hang close to toilet.

• 2 weeks later...

Australia has now banned all products from from the Thai company sea value who produced the canned tuna after the factory was found to be in a putrid condition and posed serious health issues.

• Like 1

Australia has now banned all products from from the Thai company sea value who produced the canned tuna after the factory was found to be in a putrid condition and posed serious health issues.

Nice.

Like the way Australia, as many other countries would take immediate effective action, problem solved.

No phone calls to the well connected, no ignoring the problem just action that saves lives.

• Like 1