Where do Thai locals go for a romantic get-away?

landrews33

We're planning a short honeymoon next week. We've been to Pating Beach and Pattaya in the past and didn't like the scene. (Her, the bare chested men and the bikinis; me, the general bad behavior of farangs.) If you were to plan a romantic time away without drunken Russians and blatant prostitutes where would you go?

Thai people do not do that. Its just a western mind idea.

Nonsense, of course they do. Or at least many of my friends do, and I can't imagine that they are untypical. Though you're right, it's more likely to be with the mia noi (or a new wife) than with a long-married mia luang.

• Like 1

Mrs NL and I took a 4-night, 5-day, fly-and-drive 'second honeymoon' around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai just before Chinese new Year. The blighters should have buggered off by now so should be reasonably nice if maybe a tad foggy and smoggy so don't leave it too much later.

It was very romantic in the hill resorts, less so in the cities.

Mrs NL and I took a 4-night, 5-day, fly-and-drive 'second honeymoon' around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai just before Chinese new Year. The blighters should have buggered off by now so should be reasonably nice if maybe a tad foggy and smoggy so don't leave it too much later.

You're Thai?

You're Thai?

I think so. The Thais call most people "blighters" IIRC. :)

A lot of Thais seem to prefer lakeside or hilltop resorts. I can understand it. Less crowded, less hot (in the hills at least), and fewer drunken yobs to ruin your day. There are some nice ones in the Kanchanaburi and Petchabun areas, for example.

The Rayong Resort is secluded, elegant and quiet which may be good for a honeymoon. Was there for 2 days a couple of months ago. No Russians and only one small tour group. Secure parking. Nice pool. Can get a boat to Koh Samet for a day trip.

But if you want dancing and partying, it would be too quiet for you. Also, not the place if you are on a budget. I think we paid about 4,000 per night which included two breakfasts.

Good luck.

You're Thai?

Mrs NL is but I am a bit of a mongrel myself.

What breed are you?

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks everybody. I loved all the comments including the humorous ones. I'll google all of them except France and check them out!

I don't think of Thais as being romantic in the same was as in the US, but if you see the TV advertising, romance seems to be right up there with skin whitening, so some must have it on their minds!

When I hear Thais talk about going away with some one it seems to usually involve hot springs, water falls or bungalows at a lake. So your suggestions seem right on.