Are bikers socially respectable?

dave_boo

Socially respected ? Definitely. More than that, we are loved, by all the people, everywhere ! Men want to be like us, women want to be with us. w00t.gif

When you consider that a lot of "bikers" in Thailand are business owners, politicians, senior military/police and/or entertainers, not many people would consider them to be "socially unacceptable". Big bikes are pretty expensive over here, some easily costing as much as a new car or even a house, so again, not too many people would "look down" on someone riding a Harley in Thailand.

The kinds of people that you list would probably be considered honest & respectable in the West. But this is Thailand, the same classes of people here are more likely to be anything but!!w00t.gif

• Like 1

Socially respected ? Definitely. More than that, we are loved, by all the people, everywhere ! Men want to be like us, women want to be with us. w00t.gif

When you consider that a lot of "bikers" in Thailand are business owners, politicians, senior military/police and/or entertainers, not many people would consider them to be "socially unacceptable". Big bikes are pretty expensive over here, some easily costing as much as a new car or even a house, so again, not too many people would "look down" on someone riding a Harley in Thailand.

The kinds of people that you list would probably be considered honest & respectable in the West. But this is Thailand, the same classes of people here are more likely to be anything but!!w00t.gif

Do you own a car /bike/truck in Thailand?

Do you own a car /bike/truck in Thailand?

No, I don't need to.

Have driven in many different countries though. I have been driving since 1984.

You had me right until 'Harley'.

• Like 1

I would say all bikers, whether on small or big bikes are socially respectable, apart from the idiots with sooped up, far too loud exhausts. I'm talking about genuine bikers here, those with licences and insurance etc, though I'm afraid most Thai bikers do not come into that category.

People on motorbikes in Bangkok are a bloody menace. Not "bikers", or Hell's Angels, just people on Hondas, a menace!!wink.png

So you think with all the traffic they should all be in cars ? On perlease !!!

• Like 1

I would say all bikers, whether on small or big bikes are socially respectable, apart from the idiots with sooped up, far too loud exhausts. I'm talking about genuine bikers here, those with licences and insurance etc, though I'm afraid most Thai bikers do not come into that category.

People on motorbikes in Bangkok are a bloody menace. Not "bikers", or Hell's Angels, just people on Hondas, a menace!!wink.png

So you think with all the traffic they should all be in cars ? On perlease !!!

That's very clearly not what I said, or implied.

How you can twist what I said to mean that is beyond me, probably beyond you too.blink.png

^

I'm sure women don't ride Al Murray by choice either.

Not so sure about that...ask women what they find attractive in a man, top of the list by a mile is making them laugh.
Well they would say that, wouldn't they?

Which woman is going to truthfully reply "rich, handsome and big dick" to the survey taker?

• Like 1

I put on two notices describing the negative factors, in my opinion, of motorbikes and motorbikers. I was officially warned and threatened with expulsion from thaivisa. My expressions of disdain were tempered by proper language and definitely issued as my opinions. I have seen much more crass and even nasty comments about Thai women on this site but those sail on and on. I must be honest; I still believe the world would be better if motorbikes only came with side cars, which would force them to be more like regular vehicles and also give extra passengers a more proper place to sit. Bicycles need their own trails and should be fined for mixing with normal traffic.

My opinion.wai.gif

You know when I first read this topic I though this is definitely going to be lighthearted, how could it be anything else?

Lighten up boys and enjoy your greasy bikes for what they are. If you want to be respectable become a Tory MP.

• Like 1

I put on two notices describing the negative factors, in my opinion, of motorbikes and motorbikers. I was officially warned and threatened with expulsion from thaivisa. My expressions of disdain were tempered by proper language and definitely issued as my opinions. I have seen much more crass and even nasty comments about Thai women on this site but those sail on and on. I must be honest; I still believe the world would be better if motorbikes only came with side cars, which would force them to be more like regular vehicles and also give extra passengers a more proper place to sit. Bicycles need their own trails and should be fined for mixing with normal traffic.

My opinion.wai.gif

May I humbly ask why you bother to read any posts on the biking forum? And even bothering to post?

Are you trying to bait or trolling?

My opinion.wai.gif

May I humbly ask why you bother to read any posts on the biking forum? And even bothering to post?

Don't worry about it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and he stated his opinion. Our local village idiot could comment to....but that would be even less interesting.

Cause you don't know how to drive/ride here.

• Like 1

My opinion.wai.gif

If you think a motorcycle with a sidecar would help anything, you have never ridden a motorcycle.

Look at the physics of standard 3 wheelers

Edited by jdinasia

Just1voice good to hear you are recovering man and getting a big bike again.

I also bought a new V650 in Jan this year after not riding a big bike for about 4 years.

The urge was simply too big, the fell of a real bike compared to a scooter, well you can't really compare them.

My wife will never ride with me again on the bike since we have a 5 year old son now but she knows that I need/love my bike and I try to go riding on weekdays when my boy is in school and then we do family stuff in the weekends and take the truck.

I think big bike riders are generally socially respected here in Thailand, car drivers often gives you space when you come from behind on the bike, not so much on the scooter, stay on the left lane where you belong, he-he.

Many Hi-So Thais in Bangkok has a Harley or Ducati only for showing off and ride down to Starbucks on them, they will rather not be seen riding a Honda Wave since it's a bike for the masses, he-he.

Yes reading the traffic is very important when riding here and don't ride extremely fast but pick you spots carefully, I enjoy big bike riding here, it I didn't, I would not be doing it.

• Like 2

On a recent road trip up North, I stopped twice to offer assistance if needed.

On the first occasion, a pickup had spun off the road into a ditch, somewhere in the mountains. Their mobile phone had no signal, my AIS had a signal and they were able to call to the local police station for further assistance.

On the second occasion, a French tourist had crashed his rented KLX on the run into Pai. He had fallen over the barrier and rolled down a couple of meters. There were already some locals on the scene with him but none of them spoke English. I translated a few things, and updated him on what was happening. Removed his GoPro and handed it to him as he was worried that it would get "lost". My riding mate helped restart his bike to be moved onto the police truck. Stayed with him for a while till everything was under control (police on scene etc) even though it meant that we had to ride the last 40 kms or so to Pai in the dark.

I happily do this as we never know when it would be our turn to need some assistance. On a previous ride, I fell off on some very slippery mud and a truck load of lads stopped and helped me pick the bike up.

What goes around comes around.

Rendering assistance for other fellow bikers is a must in my book but as Gman gentlemanly did with a truck in a remote area is also something some of us take as granted.

Back in Denmark when I bought my first big bike (early 1980's) people on big bikes always saluted each other and always stopped if they saw another bike parked on the side of the road or worse.

One time we were 5 bikes in Hamburg, Germany looking for a big well known bike shop and this German guy on a Guzzi stopped and asked what our problem was. After we told him, he said follow me and he rode us some 20km to the shop, very nice of him.

• Like 1

Some of you may remember an earlier thread about a group ride to Kanchanaburi from Pattaya.

Sadly the group from Pattaya got a bit lost working their way through Bangkok (and Bangkok traffic) to the extent that it took them almost, what 7-8 hrs?

On the return journey, there were 3 riders from Pattaya who were not familiar with Bangkok, especially as to which bridges are allowed for bikes - one Phantom and two PCX's. It would have been socially irresponsible of me to let fellow riders struggle through Bkk once again especially as they would be hitting Bangkok during rush hour on some of the busiest streets and a large part of their ride from Bkk to Pattaya would have been in the dark as well.

So as a result, I led them all the way from Kanchanaburi, through Bangkok, down Rama 9, onto the Highway 7 for a short distance before peeling off onto the frontage road, over a unmanned railway crossing meant only for bikes and pedestrians (too narrow for cars), onto Thanon Onnut / Lat Krabang, Rom Klao till the start of the Bang Na Chonburi expressway. All in all, was only about 40 kms and 2 hours out of my way but the feeling of having done a good deed is priceless.

Till today, I'm in touch with those guys and hope to meet up for a beer in Pattaya with them in the near future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768368-pattaya-to-kanchanaburi-and-back-in-the-next-few-weeks/?p=8651229

• Like 1

I think the non respectable stigma went out with the age old scumbags from days gone yore. Most of the people nowadays can either be respectable or not. But that doesn't matter at all if they ride a bike or not. I have not met many non respectful bikers even the year I was at Sturgis with a Honda I only had one non respectful dick that offered to piss on my Honda & I offered to burn his unit off with the hot exhaust. He got kicked out by 4 Bikers that were actually business suits because he didn't ride anything & had a bad attitude in general. I was surprised at how decent everyone was. I was the Mechanic so my team would have gladly had my back anyway. Although I didn't feel I needed help. Only in a b grade flick like sultans sadists or something do you see the scumbags nowadays. Maybe they still exist . I have not seen any since the early 70's.

• Like 1

My opinion.wai.gif

It appears he is offering his own; albeit uninformed, opinion. However, if trolling, he snagged you, didn't he?

• Like 1

Some of you may remember an earlier thread about a group ride to Kanchanaburi from Pattaya.

Sadly the group from Pattaya got a bit lost working their way through Bangkok (and Bangkok traffic) to the extent that it took them almost, what 7-8 hrs?

On the return journey, there were 3 riders from Pattaya who were not familiar with Bangkok, especially as to which bridges are allowed for bikes - one Phantom and two PCX's. It would have been socially irresponsible of me to let fellow riders struggle through Bkk once again especially as they would be hitting Bangkok during rush hour on some of the busiest streets and a large part of their ride from Bkk to Pattaya would have been in the dark as well.

So as a result, I led them all the way from Kanchanaburi, through Bangkok, down Rama 9, onto the Highway 7 for a short distance before peeling off onto the frontage road, over a unmanned railway crossing meant only for bikes and pedestrians (too narrow for cars), onto Thanon Onnut / Lat Krabang, Rom Klao till the start of the Bang Na Chonburi expressway. All in all, was only about 40 kms and 2 hours out of my way but the feeling of having done a good deed is priceless.

Till today, I'm in touch with those guys and hope to meet up for a beer in Pattaya with them in the near future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768368-pattaya-to-kanchanaburi-and-back-in-the-next-few-weeks/?p=8651229

Why would you route your bikes through Bangkok if it was not your destination?

Why would you route your bikes through Bangkok if it was not your destination?

How else to get from Kanchanaburi to Pattaya?

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this issue. Some even seem to not understand the issue.

The question was, were bikers socially respectable? It appears the term “biker” needs to be defined.

I doubt the OP was referring to someone who rides a motor scooter, or any other small displacement two-wheeled vehicle, as transportation. Although, these bikes may be seen as lower-class transportation—they are the most widely used motorized transportation world-wide—and have no particular social stigma associated with them.

Likewise, I doubt the rider of a moderate displacement multi-purpose bike, for recreation or sport, was his intent. Many a farmer, hunter, dirt-biker, or racer ride them for work, pleasure, and sport and they seem to be enjoyed by all levels of society.

Additionally, I doubt even the large displacement touring bikes used by enthusiasts who travel extensively by motorcycle are the subject of his concern.

More likely he was referring to the large displacement, fast and noisy motorcycles, most often associated with clubs or gangs of long-haired, tattooed, leather-clad riders—although not all members of such clubs fit this description, it is the one often associated with them.

While it is true, some motorcycle clubs have engaged in illegal activities and, as such, are not socially respectable, but these clubs represent a minority of such bikers. Most of these clubs are simply social clubs of motorcycle enthusiasts who like to ride and party together. These bikers often refer to their preoccupation with their bikes as the “biker’s lifestyle,” which is often described as; if you have to ask, you would not understand.

Are these bikers socially acceptable? Well, as at least one poster stated, some people of renown including royalty, political giants, industry moguls and social elite ride these types of bikes and belong to these types of clubs. They, most probably, are socially acceptable, at least on their home turf. It greatly depends upon where in the world they ride.

In Southeast Asia, these types of bikes are as expensive as cars and pick-up trucks. The riders have to be financially well-off to even afford their bikes. In the Western world, the bikes are relatively less expensive and more people can afford them. Therefore, more classes of individuals ride them, so there may be more of a social stigma attached. Please note how Queensland in Australia has passed laws and is now actively prosecuting what the Aussies call, “bikies.” In the US, there are many such motorcycle clubs whose members are veterans, or police and firemen; other clubs’ members are lawyers or doctor. US laws do not specifically persecute bikers. However, the US is also home to the traditional bad boy clubs whose chapters now ring the world.

I am the chapter president of an international motorcycle club located here in Thailand. Our chapter engages in no business, it is a social club. Our members are honest hard-working family men. We sponsor youth sports, an orphanage, and a school for blind children. Each year we donate a considerable amount of our time and money to these children. We have members from Denmark, Australia, Scotland, New Zealand, US, Canada, Thailand and Malaysia. And, we are proud to call ourselves bikers.

So, would you consider us socially respectable? I would hope so, but if not, Margaret Mitchell wrote a suitable retort from Rhett Butler to Scarlett O’Hara.

• Like 1

I guess anyone who rides a bike would be a biker. I think a bigger bikes heading would be a serious biker not just a rider of a get around. But hey if you ride you ride. Most of the farangs at least & some of the Thais get more serious rides as time goes on if they can afford the price!

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this issue. Some even seem to not understand the issue.

The question was, were bikers socially respectable? It appears the term “biker” needs to be defined.

I doubt the OP was referring to someone who rides a motor scooter, or any other small displacement two-wheeled vehicle, as transportation. Although, these bikes may be seen as lower-class transportation—they are the most widely used motorized transportation world-wide—and have no particular social stigma associated with them.

Likewise, I doubt the rider of a moderate displacement multi-purpose bike, for recreation or sport, was his intent. Many a farmer, hunter, dirt-biker, or racer ride them for work, pleasure, and sport and they seem to be enjoyed by all levels of society.

Additionally, I doubt even the large displacement touring bikes used by enthusiasts who travel extensively by motorcycle are the subject of his concern.

More likely he was referring to the large displacement, fast and noisy motorcycles, most often associated with clubs or gangs of long-haired, tattooed, leather-clad riders—although not all members of such clubs fit this description, it is the one often associated with them.

While it is true, some motorcycle clubs have engaged in illegal activities and, as such, are not socially respectable, but these clubs represent a minority of such bikers. Most of these clubs are simply social clubs of motorcycle enthusiasts who like to ride and party together. These bikers often refer to their preoccupation with their bikes as the “biker’s lifestyle,” which is often described as; if you have to ask, you would not understand.

Are these bikers socially acceptable? Well, as at least one poster stated, some people of renown including royalty, political giants, industry moguls and social elite ride these types of bikes and belong to these types of clubs. They, most probably, are socially acceptable, at least on their home turf. It greatly depends upon where in the world they ride.

In Southeast Asia, these types of bikes are as expensive as cars and pick-up trucks. The riders have to be financially well-off to even afford their bikes. In the Western world, the bikes are relatively less expensive and more people can afford them. Therefore, more classes of individuals ride them, so there may be more of a social stigma attached. Please note how Queensland in Australia has passed laws and is now actively prosecuting what the Aussies call, “bikies.” In the US, there are many such motorcycle clubs whose members are veterans, or police and firemen; other clubs’ members are lawyers or doctor. US laws do not specifically persecute bikers. However, the US is also home to the traditional bad boy clubs whose chapters now ring the world.

I am the chapter president of an international motorcycle club located here in Thailand. Our chapter engages in no business, it is a social club. Our members are honest hard-working family men. We sponsor youth sports, an orphanage, and a school for blind children. Each year we donate a considerable amount of our time and money to these children. We have members from Denmark, Australia, Scotland, New Zealand, US, Canada, Thailand and Malaysia. And, we are proud to call ourselves bikers.

So, would you consider us socially respectable? I would hope so, but if not, Margaret Mitchell wrote a suitable retort from Rhett Butler to Scarlett O’Hara.

Are you talking about that chapter from Oz that was recently formed in CM and a talked about branch in Kanchanaburi? For over 50's?