Is street food chicken free of hormones?

Chicagoan

I keep reading nasty stories about the impact from hormones in chicken.

Is it safe to assume that the hormones in chicken are found only in the chicken sold in packages and not the street food chicken in Thailand (more specifically, bkk)?

Is there any way of knowing where to eat home grown chicken as opposed to people buying packages of chicken and selling it to you on the streets?

Am I relegated to simply asking and hoping they're honest with me?

• Like 1

Round here we have so ,they use to say 3 million chickens,on big company farms ,and some independent farms over the past few years the industry has grown,I would say the figure is near 4 million, and they supply 3 chichen factories.

Out side one factory what do they sell, Gie-Yang, barbecued chicken,use to be rows of them now a few less ,I would suspect supply and demand,has cut in ,too many sellers,not enough buyers,where does the chicken come from, so I have been told out the back door,not making the grade,what should happen to it,legally and since bird flu, it should be destroyed.

A dairy farmer friend of mine ,you go there early in the morning you will see them cutting up chicen carcases,maranating them put them on skewers grill the and sell them at the front of the house ,and the local market that evening, the carcass ,come another chicken factory,more than likely illegal.

We rear a few cattle ,and make Nappier grass silage,I was driving past a farm near me and I could see there Nappier grass it did look well, it put mine to shame,so I called in they had some Blar Dok ponds,and they were pumping water from the ponds on to the gass, no wonder it was growing well,but in the corner was a <deleted> off mincer,powered by a 3 cylinder diesel engine I said what is that for ,he said mincing up dead chickens to feed the cat fish ,now that has got to be illegal.+ hormone build up?

Back to the OP if the above is happening round here,it is more than likely happening elsewhere + more,the street sellers are out to make money,and if someone is selling some cheap chicken, ie, out the back of a pickup, they will buy it and sell it,they are not bothered where it has come from, or about hormones .

Most home grown chicken will be the black very free range chickens you see on farms running around not a lot of money in selling them. you would know if you are eating one a bit on the tough side,but no hormones a TV member wrote a very good piece about the Thai farm chickens,last year,

Is there any free range chicken in LOS,?in our sense of the word, no homones ,other TV members would know.

• Like 1

I believe that buying street food in Bangkok is like buying street fruit in Los Angeles. It's cheap for a reason. The reason is probably something that you don't want to know. I've been sickened by street fruit, juice and prepared food in Bangkok many times. I don't buy it anymore.

Don't worry about that. Worry about whether the cooking oil has been recycled from restaurants using bleach, whether the plates have not been washed with cold water and a disgusting old rag, how long the chicken has been dead and lying around in the heat. Bon appetit!

and by the way, if you think it has been Marinated in Pepper Corns or similar, think again, it more than likely is coated in Fly, Roach and perchance even a bit of Rat POOP.

Where or how do you think the ladyboys develop their titties without having a silicon job . They all have to eat but if you can get your hormone dosage plus fill your stomach at the same time , then why not.biggrin.png .

Ahhh, all you sensitive farangs with your delicate tummies that cannot cope with a few unfamiliar bacteria because your lives have been sanitised since you were born.

Yes completely agree with you. I've eaten street food in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE etc. And I drink the local water. Never had a stomach problem in my life.

Anyway, how would you know whether there are hormones in the Chicken? Just eat and enjoy and stop worrying about your sensitive systems. It's a lot tougher than you think.

Listen to what this very interesting lady has to say about your gut microbes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pc0KclcMUE

• Like 1

I worry far more about the "always present" FLIES sitting

on bare chicken (with no ice in sight)... than I do a miniscule amount of hormones.

Besides ... my experience: Thais will do nothing to chicken that costs them additional

money with no BAHT revenue benefit.

Flies are one of the very worse transmitters of disease.

Spent years eating food from the street vendors with nary a problem apart from occasional outbreaks of some malodorous farting which never upset me but may have had some affect upon fellow travelers at the time. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Don't worry about that. Worry about whether the cooking oil has been recycled from restaurants using bleach, whether the plates have not been washed with cold water and a disgusting old rag, how long the chicken has been dead and lying around in the heat. Bon appetit!

I'v been eating off plates washed in cold water for 66 years and still around to post about it?

As an alternative I just read about Nha Trang Vietnam as my next possible destination where you are "Never no more than 7 metres from a rat" - Enjoy Asia!!

I'v been eating off plates washed in cold water for 66 years and still around to post about it?

I have seen people at a market 'somewhere in Thailand' running down to the moat to 'clean' the plates and stuff. At any one time there were at least two people peeing into this cloaca, and I eventually saw someone having a crap.

I never get ill either, but I don't eat at places like this.

By the way, a chicken farm near here came around in a truck, loudspeakers blaring, 4 month old dead chicken, THB10 each. They went quick. I took one bite and refused this rest, I wonder what they died of?

You people are disgusting.

What transpires in the kitchens of western restaurants may be out of sight and out of mind, but anyone who's ever worked in a restaurant could tell you tales that would cause you nightmares too ... especially if you're the sort of customer who likes to give the waiter/waitress a hard time.

The worst intestinal reaction I ever had was from a McDonald's or Burger King at Gatwick ... and it "surfaced" while I was on a long flight to Southern Africa. Never had a problem with a meal from a street vendor.

From a waitress in the US

Consider avoiding the bread basket.

"I think it's an almost universally acknowledged fact of restaurant dining that bread and butter tends to circulate, shall we say, from table to table," Ginsberg said. "If it doesn't get eaten, it goes back the kitchen and then it comes back out again, and it goes to another table."

If your waiter disappears for a while, he may not be handling another customer, but another employee.

Ginsberg said romance in the kitchen is a common occurrence. "I have walked in on trysts happening in various pantries and walk-ins in various kitchens. And this happens on food, it happens near food, it happens around food."

Do restaurant employees really wash their hands?

Ever wonder if the wait staff and cooks really abide by those "must wash hands" signs? According to Ginsberg, not necessarily.

"It's a sad fact," she said. "I think it happens fairly often that cooks, or other people work with food, go directly from the bathroom back to the kitchen without washing their hands."

And more ,,, http://abcnews.go.com/US/restaurant-confidential-10-dirty-secrets-kitchen/story?id=17728383

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As an alternative I just read about Nha Trang Vietnam as my next possible destination where you are "Never no more than 7 metres from a rat" - Enjoy Asia!!

This statement applies to just about everywhere in the world. (With the exception of Antarctica) I once heard a lady moaning about rats on our compound in Saudi Arabia. I told her not to worry, the snakes will catch them. Oops!

This video has been seen many times

a new version of breast implants

tested on chicken

eaten by humans

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=404843576342222

made me cry

Whoa.... what in the hell are they putting in the chicken??

will watch the vid later. but i gave up eating chicken in circa 1990 ish why ? it was a radio interveiw micheal parkinson did with the head of the union pharmasutical workers. parkinson asked 'hows ure industry doing?' answer booming. parkinson 'how come theres a huge recession'. ans with the boom of everybody eating chicken, with our drugs they have reduced the time it takes for a chicken to mature from roughly 12 weeks to roughly 6 weeks and they are buying all we can produce. .so bulk em up with drugs!!! . makes sense . when i was a kid u were told never feed pets chicken bones as they have v sharp bones and may stick in the pets throat. now, u can almost crumble the bones between ure fingers. funny enuf the bone bit applies to farmed fish as well

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit