Top Immigration official denies grounding planes at Suvarnabhumi in 'revenge'

webfact

Dumb questions. How can such a senior officer not have security clearance? How can an immigration police delay departing flights selectively ?

Something strange here.

yes something in the story missing or wrong.

Maybe without boarding pass he could not enter the waiting area,

or they would not let him in the VIP lounge.

Guess that pissed him off

because he has no security clearance for it? Unlikely. Possible he want in the VIP lounge and full service there and they refused to serve him black label without being customer. But that would be a complete different story.

I am sure that he, as a non-passenger, can not accompany his wife to the seat on the plane.

Without any special reason it is already final at the boarding counter (where they scan the boarding passes, before the passengers waiting room) for him as a non-passenger.

That are the rules.

Maybe that did not fit with his inflated ego.

Edited by tomacht8

Although the allegation seems plausible, is there any evidence to support the allegation? We do know that people are quick to make unfounded accusations , and sometimes flights are held for a legitimate reason, such as a bomb threat or other security related matter. The event is not necessarily announced to the public even when it occurs.

Ideally, TG,and the government ministry involved will provide a public statement. It would help clarify the matter. Until then, this remains a serious occurrence and further damages the military administration's reputation.

Thailand seems to be a nation lurching about in chaos.

I went to Trendy Towers in Bangkok yesterday to renew my passport, we were joined in the lift to the UK visa place by some Hiso woman with 2 high ranking Police acting as her 'bodyguards' and general brown nosers. I really hope she had to queue up with everyone else as I reckon it would be something she isnt too used to here as part of priveliged few so if the visa section is shut next week you know why....ps it wasn't Yingluck unless she been eating all the pies

HiSo never need to queue up, neither in Thailand nor in any other country.

Because it was a UK thing she had do come herself instead of simply sending someone, or even someone hand-deliver to her.

Shopping placa are sometimes complete closed for public if one hi-so comes and if there are photos made, the other customer are actors.

On airports they leave airplane first and get out thru some side door and special immigration service.

Off topic, but read about Bush and Obama vs. the new Pope and Putin security....we don't need to make jokes about Thailand.....

What no "jokes about Thailand", Is this thread Thai bashing ?

brling......don't know is it???...you tell me...

Personally the whole thing of bringing your pet police to a visa application or interview speaks volumes to me as does some power hungry knobber in a bought position getting the hump when he does not get his own way......

I was brought up in a place where rules are enforced for everybody including the rich and powerful, even terminally stupid expat's who forgets how lucky they are to hold a passport for somewhere that is not a dictatorship, right now the rights of the majority are being eroded by the people who should be looking after them, unfortunately in Thailand if you have enough money or where born into the right family you can literally do what ever you want...embarrassing if it was not so sad...

Edited by mark131v

To my knowledge only the TAT and assisting diplomats have the power past the immigration line, but that dose not mean they can not recall a passenger back to there jurisdiction with the help of the TAT. Therefor a delay could have accrued and the dude is telling the truth. I know Thais are childish but this story seems a bit weak.

Sounds like a complete nonsense story

Since when did an immigration officer have the authority to "ground" or " delay" flights from a major International airport ?

think it is highly likely that they would have that power......imagine if he thought Yingluck was on that plane?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Dumb questions. How can such a senior officer not have security clearance? How can an immigration police delay departing flights selectively ?

Something strange here.

Did you NOT read the rest of the article. It details it. It seems his wife didn't even fly with Thai Airway's!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Although the allegation seems plausible, is there any evidence to support the allegation? We do know that people are quick to make unfounded accusations , and sometimes flights are held for a legitimate reason, such as a bomb threat or other security related matter. The event is not necessarily announced to the public even when it occurs.

Ideally, TG,and the government ministry involved will provide a public statement. It would help clarify the matter. Until then, this remains a serious occurrence and further damages the military administration's reputation.

You start by saying".....We do know that people are quick to make unfounded accusations.....". Then you finish with an unfounded accusation.

Back to retirement.

• Like 1

But of course. No Thai would do such a thing.

I don't think he is Thai......he is a top immigration official......probably extraterrestrial......still trying to identify the planet he comes from.

We are the Aliens as in there eyes....they just don't know what planet they are on...

Something strange here.

yes something in the story missing or wrong.

Maybe without boarding pass he could not enter the waiting area,

or they would not let him in the VIP lounge.

Guess that pissed him off

Just imagine what he would have done if they served his wife some nuts in a plastic packet.....

To my knowledge only the TAT and assisting diplomats have the power past the immigration line, but that dose not mean they can not recall a passenger back to there jurisdiction with the help of the TAT. Therefor a delay could have accrued and the dude is telling the truth. I know Thais are childish but this story seems a bit weak.

When I deplane at Swampy I often/usually see a sycophantic entourage waiting at the entrance to the airbridge, waiting to wai and bow and scrape to some VIP or other who is leaving the plane's first class. They form a motorised procession - either to baggage hall or out a separate door to the VIP terminal.

I assume they all have clearance to hang around airside.

For some reason I believe he did just what the report says he did

Sorry state of affairs Why is it Thais think they are entitled

Yes, for some reason I feel it is highly credible.

I shall not say why as some TV guys do not like us to be perceptive.

I do hope the staff are talked to privately to see what exactly happened, I am willing to bet that

this Top Official did indeed do this silly action. Maybe he watched the Asian lady who's daddy owns an airline, throwing her power around and wanted to try the same method. It is shameful that some people

who have some authority, go ahead and abuse it.

I do hope that his superiors, or the Government leaders, give him a nice departure from his position.

Chok Dee! to that.

A strange story indeed. Air Traffic Control can of course hold a flight up but only on good grounds so, in theory, this officer couldn't simply call the tower and tell them to hold without giving a reason.

It may be too much to hope that this is fully and properly investigated and if this man has abused his authority a little more than an inactive post is called for.

Let's not forget too an air traffic controller (s) may have acted improperly if he / she / they held up a flight simply on this man's say so and without good grounds.

• Like 1

I've been reading all your responses. And have to wonder did you ACTUALLY READ the whole of the news report, for once it was actually fairly complete!

The rest is below:

" Pol.Maj.Gen. Suwitpol told Khaosod yesterday that the accusation was unfounded, and that only one plane was delayed for security reasons.

"Thai Airways sent a list of passengers that didn't match with the actual number, so officials had to [ground the plane] and recheck the number of passengers," Pol.Maj.Gen. Suwitpol said. "Let me stress that I never used my power to bully anyone. What's important is my wife didn't even travel on any Thai Airways flights on that day."

"I don't know what the person who posted the allegation wants from me," he added.

Pol.Col. Cherngron Rimpadee, the officer in charge of immigration inspection at the airport, also insisted that the allegation was "untrue." He confirmed that officers only delayed one plane to re-check the passenger list because of a security protocol.

"We recently tightened security policies," Pol.Col. Cherngron said, "The plane was delayed because of an incomplete passengers list, which delayed the process to approve the plane's take-off."

Edited by casualbiker

Chairman of Thai Airways confirmed today that the delays were due to late clearance by Immigration Police. The net tightens

I've been reading all your responses. And have to wonder did you ACTUALLY READ the whole of the news report, for once it was actually fairly complete!

The rest is below:

" Pol.Maj.Gen. Suwitpol told Khaosod yesterday that the accusation was unfounded, and that only one plane was delayed for security reasons.

"Thai Airways sent a list of passengers that didn't match with the actual number, so officials had to [ground the plane] and recheck the number of passengers," Pol.Maj.Gen. Suwitpol said. "Let me stress that I never used my power to bully anyone. What's important is my wife didn't even travel on any Thai Airways flights on that day."

"I don't know what the person who posted the allegation wants from me," he added.

Pol.Col. Cherngron Rimpadee, the officer in charge of immigration inspection at the airport, also insisted that the allegation was "untrue." He confirmed that officers only delayed one plane to re-check the passenger list because of a security protocol.

"We recently tightened security policies," Pol.Col. Cherngron said, "The plane was delayed because of an incomplete passengers list, which delayed the process to approve the plane's take-off."

He might be using a cunning tactic developed to counter the growing power of social media? UK officials call it 'being economical with the truth'.

So has there EVER been any positive news reports about Thai Immigration Officers.

I never heard, read, or was told about one.

Anyways.

Aren't the brown shirts supposed to be responsible for all Non-Thais, or whatever is not born, made, or "assimilated" in the LOS???

So has there EVER been any positive news reports about ANY Immigration Officers worldwide?.

Immigration worldwide have powers that even the police don't have but still seem to have a chip on their shoulders so passengers feel the brunt of their abuse and are treated like 'cattle to the slaughter'