Riding motorbikes in Thailand? You need to watch this!

craigt3365

Very good and informative video.

Saw all the farangs riding motorcycles in Pattaya and the way they were driving and I was thinking how many of them will land in Hospitals.

As we didn't have enough "super expert Thais" riding those death traps, now they are competing with the "super expert farangs"

craigt3365.... CONGRATULATIONS!!

In some 30+ years of writing, producing radio and tv shows about Thailand, this would have to be one of the BEST, if not THE BEST story about riding a motorbike in Thailand.

Many thanks for posting it and top marks to the producers.

• Like 2

Every time I worn people about riding motorcycles in Thailand the forum moderators jump on me.I'm just trying to save foreigners.

I started riding motorcycles in 1967. I stopped riding motorcycles in Thailand in 2009.If your riding away from the bigger cities you might have A chance.But big cities like Bangkok,Chiang Mai etc it's only A matter of time before your in the hospital or worse.

Good chance you'll be broadsided.

Motorcycles have the right of way of only bicycles,and pedestrians.Cars,buses,trucks will have the right of way over you.

It's not supposed to be that way,but the bigger vehicle wins in Thailand.Good Luck to Ya.

• Like 2

The biggest reason I posted this was mentioned above. Most don't know you need a proper license or you insurance is invalid. And that most travel insurance policies specificially prohibit ridiing motorcycles.

Here on Thaivisa, I've read about so many who've gotten into accidents and have run up hospital bills over 1MM Baht. Then don't have the money to pay and struggle to leave the country. I've rented scooters many times, but never fully realized this. I do now!

wai2.gif

• Like 2

Can you quote the law that says that for any riding you need an Intl DL?

I have one, but in 4 stops (just minor stop/check everyone type checkpoints) I've never been asked for it. Only my home country DL. I was under the impression that there is a 30 day grace period under which you are allowed to ride a motorbike with only your DL from home. If you stay longer, you're then expected to either have an Intl DL or get a Thai one. I'm speaking in reference to the Thai laws, not insurance rules... they may be 2 very different things.

I do fully agree that there are far too many people coming here that get way too comfortable with flaunting the rules and/or their own limits... and end up paying for it. It's not always their fault, but it often is. The vast majority of accidents I've seen foreigners involved with here did also involve someone who was consuming alcohol. And that person may or may not have been wearing a helmet. Lack of familiarity with Thai driving styles + no safety gear worn + alcohol is a bad recipe.

Gear up, ride sober, be very aware and ride defensively... it wont 100% guarantee you wont have an accident, but it will greatly reduce the chances.

• Like 2

Been here over 7 yrs I lived in Pattaya for 2 yrs riding bike every day, never had a scratch never rode fast or crazy and looked out all the time for other crazy drivers doing cut in's turning quick without indication, now lived in KHon KAEN last 5 yrs have my own bike, same thing never had a scratch. Have 3 Thai neibours over the last 2 yrs killed on bikes. Have a CCTV VIDEO one of them coming out of the hospital gate after work, straight over the main road, bowled over by a pickup, dead.

While in Pattaya I used to get really pissed off and angry at Falangs the way they ride, they follow what the Thais do, bloody 100% stupid, and lot of them well over 50 yrs, bet they never rode in their country on these scooters. But they never learn. On my travels around in my car I have often seen columns of many Harely gang riders and they ride very well they look, indicate and have a lot of respect for other road users.

• Like 1

I have one, but in 4 stops (just minor stop/check everyone type checkpoints) I've never been asked for it. Only my home country DL. I was under the impression that there is a 30 day grace period under which you are allowed to ride a motorbike with only your DL from home. If you stay longer, you're then expected to either have an Intl DL or get a Thai one. I'm speaking in reference to the Thai laws, not insurance rules... they may be 2 very different things.

I do fully agree that there are far too many people coming here that get way too comfortable with flaunting the rules and/or their own limits... and end up paying for it. It's not always their fault, but it often is. The vast majority of accidents I've seen foreigners involved with here did also involve someone who was consuming alcohol. And that person may or may not have been wearing a helmet. Lack of familiarity with Thai driving styles + no safety gear worn + alcohol is a bad recipe.

Gear up, ride sober, be very aware and ride defensively... it wont 100% guarantee you wont have an accident, but it will greatly reduce the chances.

No, I can't. But I'm sure if you searched the internet or searched the Bikes in Thailand sub forum here, you'll find info on this. I do believe you are correct about the 30 day grace period. But your home country DL has to have an endorsement that you are licensed to ride bikes. Yes, Thai laws and insurance laws are completely different. Good point.

A friend broke his leg here in Pattaya a few years ago. Had to have a metal rod put in his leg. The doc said they do 3-5 of these every day there...at just that one hospital. I think it cost him upwards of 400k Baht. Wow.

I'm self insured, so don't drive a bike here any more. Out in the country would be OK, but here in Pattaya it's insane. For me, just not worth the risk.

My understanding is that Thailand requires an International Driving Licence - but it's only good for a stay of up to three months - sorry I don't know where the law is that says that.

I've had a similar experience when it came to checkpoints - on one occasion, the policeman even took photos of my Australian licence, but ignored my IDL.

I have my IDL because I need it for travel insurance cover in the event of a motorcycle accident. And when I read through the fine print of my IDL - somewhere it states very clearly that the issuing authority will never issue an IDL retrospectively. In other words, if I don't have an IDL at the time of the accident, I'm in for financial Armageddon. And my insurance company's T&Cs don't allow for any 30 day grace periods, regardless of how the police might see it.

Agree totally about gear, riding sober etc etc and riding defensively. Even doing all of that, I'm still amazed at the risks some drivers are happy to take with my life. So far it's been like "Get Smart" - missed me by thaaaaat much!! But I agree - it's still worth doing everything to reduce the chances.

Edited by dundas

I have known 5 farangs killed on motorcycles in Thailand over the last +/-25 years with the last one killed last week.

Treat motorcycles in Thailand like drugs.......just say NO.

Sad but true cars, trucks and pick up's treat you like a target.

It is a danger in any vehicle but motorcycles increase the danger 10 fold.

Edited by rotary

I found a UK insurance that not only covers me for 6 months+ but also covers me to ride bikes up to 750cc at no extra cost.

....and comes out cheaper than most other insurances.... not that theres many that cover long stay travel insurance anyway.

Nice avatar! LOL

Do you know if that insurance policy requires you to have a Thai DL or an IDP? Just curious....

All great advice however one thing missing that many people forget once they get on a bike, use some common sense. To do on a motorbike requires you to defensive at all times, you are more vulnerable than you are in a car and certainly no bullet proof like I have seen many readers that think they are.

In the video posted by ken above (#14), and in so many vids on youtube, you'll see common sense is not the strong point of many bike riders. Many of the accidents could quite easily have been avoided. It's a harsh thing to say, but I find my compassion is at a premium for some riders, especially for those whose stupidity ruins the lives of others.

I had to take an old friend to Samui hospital after a fall. There were 10 beds in the ward and 8 were motor bike accidents. The were both Thais and farang but the injuries to the farangs were much worse. If thes inexperienced riders saw this they might think twice about hiring a bike. I have been riding for over 40 years and it made me think whether it is worth it.

Great post OP. And I had a good laugh.

I have gotten used to the local Thais and their 'confidence' and lack of protection - they are OK - their life, their way. And most of them have been doing it since they were young - they may not get around a race track fast, but they are very skilled at riding a scooter in the local traffic.

But I just cannot get used to seeing Farangs doing the same - they are not OK. Besides the gene pool factor and doing us all a favour, they can only be called what they are, just plain stupid. Any Farang that comes here with little/no motorbike experience and then hires/buys a bike IS an idiot - end of story. Any Farang that comes here with motorbike experience and then does not use protection (helmet, boots, gloves, etc) IS ALSO an idiot - end of story. And I dont blame the Thais for letting them do it - Idiots will always find ways to hurt/kill themselves (the gene pool at work).

I agree about the Tony's Big Bikes - not only do they do insurance - they also organise group rides/tours. And there are a few others around and they are not hard to find (nor is advice about gear and insurance).

I had the laugh when that idiot was told his travel insurance didn't cover a motorbike - plastic bucket on his head, no gloves/jacket and I bet no shoes - and his answer was 'OH'. Priceless cheesy.gif

PS - never stop to help (unless on a rural road). HIGH probability you will be blamed - especially if the car/bike is insured and registered.

• Like 1

Should all pay attention to colinneil's post. Here is a guy whose body has been shattered by a Local 'PU YAI'...HA HA overtaking on the inside of a bike lane. I said SUE...his wife says...no no very difficult for me if you sue Phu Yaii......I say "S**t get a BKK lawyer, move house, whatever......My mate had same problem. Got Luk Nong up from BKK...what do you know?..all hospital bills paidgiggle.gif

It's all fun & games till somebody loses an eye - then it's hilarious!

No, seriously, cops & rental agencies could care less till you get in an accident.

Then it's "What boxes did he NOT have ticked? How can we weasel our way out of paying any money?".....and insurance companies are at the top of those trying to figure out all the above.

=======================

I drove my 82 year old Aunt to the doctor the other day & she complimented me on my driving skills - in RURAL Georgia, USA.... There were a whopping 3 cars around us & we hadn't seen a motorcycle in MONTHS!

She'd have a heart attack on-the-spot if she ever tried to drive in Thailand.

I just told her it was pretty easy to drive like I had half a brain over here, as compared to driving in Thailand.

I'm amazed the guy said he didn't know that he would not be covered, even if he had insurance, if he did not have a proper driving licences. Is there any country in the world, including his own, that would cover you if you didn't have it?

Quickest ever seen.

About three years ago, girl tourist hires automatic bike, gets on, opens throttle shoots across road, up some steps, hits wall = broken leg.

She screamed, "how do I stop?", just before the wall provided an answer.

Never ridden a bike before?

>>>>>>DON'T START IN THAILAND<<<<<<<<<