Please give monks less fattening foods

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – Public Health Minister RatchataRatchatanawin has urged merit-makers to ensure healthy diet for Buddhist monks.

Offering fattening food for monks leads to rising numbers of illnesses caused by obesity as more than five per cent of monks are overweight, Ratchata said.

Under the Disciplinary Canon, monks are obliged to accept and partake in food given as alms by laymen.

In a health survey of 98,561 monks, one in three have oral health problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes.

Because of poor diet and lack of exercise, one in 20 monks is likely to suffer obesity-related diseases.

The public health minister said temple’s followers should safeguard good health of their revered monks by offering balanced and nutritious meals.

Food alms should not include very sweet desserts and spicy, fattening and low-fibre cooking.

Suggested healthy meals have high-fibre vegetables, fresh fruits, and beans.

Monks should be offered fruit juice or no-sugar beverages in lieu of soft drinks.

Sugary sweets should be avoided.

In related news, Department of Health has launched the awareness campaign designed to promote healthy diet.

The department is to work in cooperation with monks to convince the public to change eating habit under the slogan “Less Dietary Risk, Less Illnesses”.

The health authorities have designated one temple per district as the coordinating centre for the campaign activities.

Some 3,044 temples nationwide are taking part in the campaign. Of the total, 921 temples have received the citations for exemplary achievements on healthy diet.

• Like 1

Yeah right Gazpacho, followed by a large crab and lobster salad with oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, dessert of their choice ordered in advance and all washed down with freshly squeezed fruit juice.

or

Sticky rice and whatever it comes with. laugh.png

Here in Isaan the monks say they eat once a day, only in the morning. There are some skinny monks and a lot of fat ones. I am not a nutritionist but I don't think a person can get fat eating one meal a day.

You gain weight when you eat more than you burn.

If your one-meal-a-day is large enough you will get fat, especially when you sit on your bum all day mumbling prayers.

But that meal would have to be large, very large (or containing tons of sugars and fats).

And I agree, many monks don't take their monkhood very serious. They walk around smoking cigarettes while playing on their phones and some even have private charters to fly them to Europe for some shopping. It wouldn't surprise me if many of them also eat more often than once a day.

• Like 1

In a health survey of 98,561 monks, one in three have oral health problems.

whistling.gif Like this one?clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

oral%20health%20problems_zpsuepagzs2.jpg

It's possible some TV members may appreciate you sharing the link to that nugget.

Just google: Thai monk oral sex - enjoy the video.

Now, now guys don't be judgmental. The woman is simply on her knees making merit and the monk is receiving it..

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

Because of poor diet and lack of exercise, one in 20 monks is likely to suffer obesity-related diseases.

That's only 5% as opposed to the likely 85% of the farang population. Maybe they should offer a Monk's diet plan for tourists & resident farang to compete with the Atkin's Diet and the like. They could start out with a 25 litre begging bowl and reduce it over time.

OBESE-MAN.jpg

That's only 5% as opposed to the likely 85% of the farang population. Maybe they should offer a Monk's diet plan for tourists & resident farang to compete with the Atkin's Diet and the like. They could start out with a 25 litre begging bowl and reduce it over time.

OBESE-MAN.jpg

You saw the video? I wouldn't call that poor diet and lack of exercise,

Don't feed them or give them money - all stories I read about" supposed monks " involves corruption and most very rich - I am not disrespecting most of the monks just the greedy few that think that they accept things and keep them for themselves - I totally respect 99% of monks but the 1% that are just there to line their own pockets - defrock them and seize their assets

In a health survey of 98,561 monks, one in three have oral health problems.

whistling.gif Like this one?clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

oral%20health%20problems_zpsuepagzs2.jpg

It's possible some TV members may appreciate you sharing the link to that nugget.

Just google: Thai monk oral sex - enjoy the video.

Now, now guys don't be judgmental. The woman is simply on her knees making merit and the monk is receiving it..

Actually, she's doing penistence, at least I think that's how it's spelled.

• Like 2

There was someone who reported to see the meat delivery to the temples kitchen.....

I saw myself monks eating in the afternoon in the restaurant (but a bit hidden) with the police and saw they drank coke from the bottle which made my wife furious as her guess is, they brought some coke bottles which were "enriched".

There is no hard control so there are good and bad ones....like everywhere.

More walking might help,instead of getting lift to central point and just stand there.Whilst on health,how about giving up smoking.Monks are a joke these days,it's all about the money and making people feel guilty to get it.

Edited by louse1953

I once watched a documentary about the Shaolin monks. Now there is a bunch of well disciplined monks if ever saw one. Apparently the older a Shaolin becomes, the less they sleep and the more they meditate and excercise so that they can keep both body and mind at full fitness.

Perhaps the Thai monks need to take a leaf out of the Shaolin book and put a bit more effort into it.

I put left over stuff outside the gate on the ground, as there's a beautiful black and white dog that comes early every morning..

The lady opposite leaves food out covered with a white cloth and it's on a stool also covered with a white cloth. She always gets out in time to the monks and dishes it into their begging bowl and they give a blessing.

I've often wondered during this process if they've ever had a quick glance at my gate and had a twinge of jealousy?

The g/f's 15yr old son is a monk. Hes 120kg. Shes 48kg. I just assumed they fed him by throwing food at him from a stokers shovel...

Reminds me of that old Tommy Steele song.

"What a mouth! What a mouth! What a North and South! "Blimey, what a mouth he's got"!

Now when he was a baby, well, oh Gawd luv 'er!

His poor old muvver used to feed him with a shovel"