Phuket police arrest Loris thug

Lite Beer

Phuket police arrest Loris thug
Eakkapop Thongtub

1425136796_1.jpg

Patong Loris smuggler was arrested today (February 28).

PHUKET: A 23-year-old man was arrested this afternoon (February 28) for possession of a Loris without permission.

Kathu police arrested Nattapon "Ice" Kensing, from Burung Khan Province, on Bangla Road in Patong.

Police seized the Loris from Nattapon’s bag, as well as his black Polaroid camera. The Loris will be released back into its natural habitat.

Nattapon was charged with possessing a preserved animal (Loris) without permission and abusing and or humiliating other people.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-arrest-loris-thug-51204.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-01

Released back into it's natural habitat?

Are these animals native to Phuket?
I don't think so.
I've never seen one in the wild.

Of course they are nocturnal and I don't go into the jungle at night, but, the only time I've seen them is in the Ocean shopping center in Phuket town, I observed some schoolgirls who had two of them and were dressing them up in homemade clothes.

They had little cages, like purses to carry them around in.

I'd think if they released these into the wild, the snakes would love them.

not knowing what a loris was i thought this was a new version of finger pointing with sock puppet

Loris is the common name for the strepsirrhine primates of the subfamily Lorisinae in the family Lorisidae.%5B2%5D Loris is one genus in this subfamily and includes the slender lorises, while Nycticebus is the genus containing the slow lorises.

Lorises are nocturnal. They are found in tropical and woodland forests of India, Sri Lanka, and parts of southeast Asia. Loris locomotion is a slow and cautious climbing form of quadrupedalism. Some lorises are almost entirely insectivorous, while others also include fruits, gums, leaves, and slugs in their diet.%5B3%5D

Female lorises practice infant parking, leaving their young infants behind in nests. Before they do this, they bathe their young with allergenic saliva that is acquired by licking patches on the insides of their elbows, which produce a mild toxin that discourages most predators,%5B3%5D though orangutans occasionally eat lorises.%5B4%5D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loris

even google maps doesnt know where "Burung Khan Province" is.

edit ok got it now Bueng Kan

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Bueng+Kan/@18.1091841,103.7165383,10z

Edited by koo wallety tourist
  • Like 1

in related story, they busted woman who was doing photos for 100 baht at Central Mall Pattaya week or so ago. I'd taken photos and reported to wildlife foundation in Bangkok about 8 months ago. She had male partner, but looks like he wasn't busted along with her. I didn't report to cops because I thought maybe they would sell Loris to private collector. Turns out went to a zoo (still not a good solution imho).... how much did zoo pay I wonder?

• Like 1

in related story, they busted woman who was doing photos for 100 baht at Central Mall Pattaya week or so ago. I'd taken photos and reported to wildlife foundation in Bangkok about 8 months ago. She had male partner, but looks like he wasn't busted along with her. I didn't report to cops because I thought maybe they would sell Loris to private collector. Turns out went to a zoo (still not a good solution imho).... how much did zoo pay I wonder?

Probably 10X more Lorises are victimized by predators in the wild (in one year), than are used for exploitive (monetary) gain by humans (in five years). As a foreign guest of the Kingdom, any (non-violent) activity by Thai people (on their own turf), that does not directly, nor negatively impact your personal existence, is really none of your business, bloke. Capiche? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't think so.

Of course they are nocturnal and I don't go into the jungle at night, but, the only time I've seen them is in the Ocean shopping center in Phuket town, I observed some schoolgirls who had two of them and were dressing them up in homemade clothes.

Yes they are native to Phuket but it depends on the species. And you are right, the pythons love them - just the right size to swallow whole.

Edited by phuketandsee

I don't think so.

yeah, nature has no idea what it's doing.

Much safer to be carried around by a schoolgirl.

Probably 10X more Lorises are victimized by predators in the wild (in one year), than are used for exploitive (monetary) gain by humans (in five years). As a foreign guest of the Kingdom, any (non-violent) activity by Thai people (on their own turf), that does not directly, nor negatively impact your personal existence, is really none of your business, bloke. Capiche? coffee1.gif

No capiche you ! What a stupid thing to say. the world would have ended long ago if some people didn't stand up for what is right.

And of course, what is right, according to your arrogant western mentality, will effect significant change, in the (3,000+ year-old) cultural character of the Thai people. Yet, you call someone else stupid? cheesy.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

They have been it that area for years offering photos for a price , monkeys ,lizards and also some two legad LB s . Only now they do something about it and make a big deal out of this. Hardly worth printing , try catching the real Crims.

• Like 1

No capiche you ! What a stupid thing to say. the world would have ended long ago if some people didn't stand up for what is right.

And of course, what is right, according to your arrogant western mentality, will effect significant change, in the (3,000+ year-old) cultural character of the Thai people. Yet, you call someone else stupid? cheesy.gif

You think the Thai culture is 3,000 years old? As if there was any doubt about the schools here. And this country is doomed unless there is significant change in Thai "cultural character."

Edited by phuketandsee

I don't think so.

I saw one at Don Sak, when i was sleeping in my jeep, waiting for the first boat to Koh Samui....

So if we see a child being led away by a complete stranger, or someone having their pocket picked, or my Thai wife being taken advantage of, or someone breaking into a neighbour's house etc etc, we do nothing as it is none of our business?

Who are you to decide what I wish to become involved in?

Mind your own business.

• Like 2

They have been it that area for years offering photos for a price , monkeys ,lizards and also some two legad LB s . Only now they do something about it and make a big deal out of this. Hardly worth printing , try catching the real Crims.

That would involve a little known phenomenon, in the LOS, called WORK.

Edited by NativeSon360

So if we see a child being led away by a complete stranger, or someone having their pocket picked, or my Thai wife being taken advantage of, or someone breaking into a neighbour's house etc etc, we do nothing as it is none of our business?

Who are you to decide what I wish to become involved in?

Mind your own business.

Just like the Russians, I do mind my own business, and appreciate the value of that reality. Take a look at my member logo, to get a clue.wai.gif

Thug??????????????? Weapon of choice, a polaroid camera (and 250 baht in change)

I hope the little fellow was released somewhere safe. (The Loris, not the "Thug"!)

I know that I'm beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu trying to get through to you, but (apparently) you have absolutely no idea of what a thug really is. That young boy is probably some farmer's kid from the province, trying to earn an honest living, with whatever tools he has available.

At least that kid is not roaming the streets of Bangkok/Pattaya, looking for a farang pocket to pick, or using some bargirl (as bait) to run a confidence scam, on some arrogant farang. Some of you so-called "educated" western expats, on this forum, are so unbelievably cruel. For heaven sake, lighten it up, for a change of mental venue. Cheers, wai.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Lorises are a critically endangered species purely because of human activity, both by reducing their habitat and by hunting for exploitation. Their use in the tourist industry also involves extreme mistreatment including ripping out their teeth (they are the only venomous primate) and blinding by camera flashes. Keep your head in the sand - or up your backside where it belongs.

The info re: the (previously unknown) treatment of the Lorises, was most welcome, and I certainly do thank you for the education update. However, the vehement character of your one-upmanship closing sentence, adequately bespeaks the true nature of your angry spirit. Hopefully (for your sake) you have found sufficient solice, in throwing a verbal punch @ someone who views you (only) from a purely academic point of view.

FYI - It was probably not many years ago, back in the 20th. Century, when indigeous Thai people were probably eating those same Lorises, as they did w/ dogs. In consideration of that probability factor, I'd say that Thai people have definitely made an up-grade, in their treatment of those little creatures. Best regards to you, for a future nice person's life, on both this forum platform, and Koh Phuket, as well. Cheerscoffee1.gif .

Edited by NativeSon360

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That is one of the funniest photos I've seen. Look how hard those baby cops try to look for the photo op. All but a couple look fresh out of nappies. Come on, guys. Stop taking yourselves so seriously because, believe me, no one takes you seriously.