Well-known veteran kite runner in Satun annual competition

Thaivisa News

Satun:- A retired police senior sergeant major, who is a veteran maker and runner of southern-style kites, said he will continue to compete and demonstrate his master-piece kites in the upcoming Satun International Kite Festival this year.

The festival is well-known and this year, it will be the 35th competition, held in honor of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakkri Sirindhorn. It will be held on March 6, 7 and 8 at the old Satun airport. Kite runners from 30 countries will participate in the festival to demonstrate their kites in various shapes and styles.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Prathuang Srisawang, 70, is a fixture in the Satun International Kite Festival.

Prathuang, better known as Sgt Thuang, told Matichon Online that he has prepared several kites for the competition.

“I’ll plan to enter ten kites into the competition and I hope to win the top three prizes,” Prathuang said.

Although he is 70 years old, Prathung is still healthy and he has been often invited to demonstrate how to make the Satun-style kites. Those who come to learn kite making technique from him included adults and children.

His kites are well accepted for their beauty and good quality as well ability to fly high.

Prathung told Matichon Online that he loved to fly kites since he was young and he learned to make them by observing the adults doing them.

“A technique is to make bamboo structures suitable … Now, I can do almost all kinds of kites,” Prathuang said.

He said the kite flying season is from January to April and he flies his kites everyday during the season.

He said he has won second and complimentary prizes in previous competitions so this year he hopes to win the first prize.