Humming Noise on a Ford Fiesta

Have the same problem on my 3 year old 42k Fiesta. Took it into Ford and they put it down to road noise. Had a new set of Firestones fitted. Noise was reduced , but still had whining on front left side at 80 kph. Took it back to Ford on Wednesday and went on road test with mechanic. They said wheel bearing. The bearing was changed. Unfortunately cannot say it was successful as they pranged the car on road test and it is now in the body shop. Agggghhhh. TIT.

they also need to change a part on the steering rack as I get a click click click when turning the wheel to full lock,

Posters on here saying it's a CV joint obviously haven't read the OP's post above, after the car was inspected at the dealer.

The problem is in the steering rack NOT the drive shaft where the CV joint is attached.

It could well be the Universal Joint that attaches the steering column to the rack, as it clicks when turning the steering wheel to full lock, NOT when the car is in full lock and moving which would indicate the CV Joint failing.

To be fair, my daughter told me that a part needs to be changed on the steering for the click click noise so I put it as the steering rack ! Sorry !

No prob Alfie, but when you do eventually get the car repaired, please let us know what parts were

replaced, as i am curious to know, due to how new and low mileage the vehicle is.

Right, car is now with Fords and received a courtesy car (Toyota) biggrin.png

Two wheel bearings are apparently being replaced and for the steering click click noise laugh.png a part that attaches to the steering column in the footwell, about a foot long with a flexible joint each end !

Thanks for the update Alfie, as i suspected, and from your description, it's the steering column Universal Joint that's being replaced.

Very surprising that these parts have failed so prematurely, hopefully that won't continue after the

warranty expires! w00t.gif

Thanks for the update Alfie, as i suspected, and from your description, it's the steering column Universal Joint that's being replaced.

Very surprising that these parts have failed so prematurely, hopefully that won't continue after the

warranty expires! w00t.gif

The way we're are going sots every part would have been replaced by the time we get to the end of the warranty, it'll be like a new car biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn