Bali nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be transferred to execution island on Wednesday

webfact

....I hope they execute them....good job Malaysia...and good riddance......2 individuals not required in todays world...as they served no other purpose than smuggling drugs......wreaking havoc on downstream users lives...

Long live the death penalty for these type of scum

• Like 2

....I hope they execute them....good job Malaysia...and good riddance......2 individuals not required in todays world...as they served no other purpose than smuggling drugs......wreaking havoc on downstream users lives...

Long live the death penalty for these type of scum

Indonesia actually.

But I get your point.

I don't like the death penalty full stop although it is rough justice for serial killers.

Certainly I feel drug smugglers are too far removed from causation of death for it to be considered a capital offence. The users can also say no!

Many drug smugglers are little more than mules, by turn beguiled and threatened to carry drugs.

It is the responsibility of each nation to look after their own.

Shame on those calling for their death- why not go to Iraq and satiate your blood lust with a good stoning?

• Like 1

I don't like the death penalty full stop although it is rough justice for serial killers.

Certainly I feel drug smugglers are too far removed from causation of death for it to be considered a capital offence. The users can also say no!

Many drug smugglers are little more than mules, by turn beguiled and threatened to carry drugs.

Shame on those calling for their death- why not go to Iraq and satiate your blood lust with a good stoning?

Which bit don't you understand?

post-21832-0-11609700-1425473960_thumb.j

• Like 1

I said i didn't like, I didn't say I didn't understand!

There is a difference between comprehending something and agreeing with it.

Dare say, you won't quite grasp that.

Jeez, what a moronic reply that was!

• Like 1

What a predicament they have put their families in. I would hate to burden my family with something like this.

But I bet they never stopped and thought about what they were doing, how many lives they could destroy, how people may die. They only thought about quick money.

It has been said repeatedly, but they did know the risks and likely did not believe they would get caught...in fact they recruited others to courier the Heroin, perhaps thinking that they were the smartest people in the room.

Indonesia has every right to put Drug Smugglers to death. I have no issue with that. Justice has run its course. It's time.

Hopefully people learn from this...

. It's Never Been Proven that this Deters Crime...

Of course it deters crime

Once these two traffickers are put to death they will never commit another crime

Problem solved

• Like 1

I said i didn't like, I didn't say I didn't understand!

There is a difference between comprehending something and agreeing with it.

Dare say, you won't quite grasp that.

Jeez, what a moronic reply that was!

"It is the responsibility of each nation to look after their own."

That's what Indonesia is doing.

You said it...not me.

Shame on you for questioning the right of Indonesia when the laws were clear.

DMF.

Let's look at the upside - if these guys have really turned their lives around, their deaths mean something : would that have been the case if they'd returned to Oz with their cargo intact ? There has been a lot of speculation about whether they could have been reformed by the Australian prison system : this flies in the face of every interview I've ever seen with anyone involved in the system from Police to Corrections Officers to welfare workers. Residivism rates are high among young offenders and jails are training grounds for career criminals - not exactly the ideal environment for turning one's life around. If others are prepared to speculate on the alternative path their lives may have taken, what about death from a heroin overdose or HIV/AIDS from a contaminated needle ? Is it not also feasible than one or both may have been murdered by the syndicate who hired them on their return to Australia ? The list goes on - glass half empty or half full.

All 100% speculation, but its clear that their case has shone a powerful beam of light on the Indonesian justice system - how many addicts on the streets of the Cross, Fortitude Valley or St Kilda can say the same ? Cold comfort for their families, and its for their sakes that I hope the Indonesians dont drag this out any longer in the hope that the media will just give up and go home - clearly, that isnt going to happen.

Reports just in say the presidant didnt know the drugs were going OUT and not in. How could he not know that. So in fact they were doing the indonesion people a favour...8kgs less on their streets and 10yrs max in ozzie prison if caught

"Fairfax Media claims Mr Joko has previously indicated that he was unaware the Bali Nine pair, who were arrested with 8.3kg of heroin, were trying to smuggle the drug into Australia rather than bringing drugs to Indonesia."
Edited by mcfish

Henry Bolte got re-elected on the Death Penalty. Low in the polls then Ronald Ryan fell into his lap?

The taking of these two lives will stop drug trafficing? I think not.

I worked in drug and alcohol for 20 years. I took phone calls from relatives, after their child died. I had friends and relatives die. It sickens me even today. But I don't see how taking someone’s life is going to change people’s greed.

Locking someone up for the rest of their lives is also a punishment. It can also work out cheaper than capital punishment.

I have also experienced the work of people that have reformed their past ways, seeing the good they do in the community helping people adopt a good orderly direction. They have helped change others lives as a service to the community.

Then there are the people that have to carry out the execution. What will their nightmares be in 10-20+ years’ time? I have dealt with people that have committed capital crimes and had to carry out their duties in the line of their work. All of them had bad nightmares; even one of the hardest policemen I have ever met. Someone’s got to do the job. There might be some brave soul on TV that will say they would have no hesitation in carrying out an execution, but I really doubt it?

I am not in opposition to someone having an opinion on capital punishment, but my work and education tells me it is not an effective deterrent to crime.

Imprisonment didn't improve the life of Paul Hayward and Warren Fellows? Hayward was a champion athlete. He was also related to Neddy Smith by marriage? Hayward and Fellows were not innocent of their crime. They spent some time in Bangkok Goal. Fellow’s book is a compelling read on what life was like in goal. They were punished by their time in goal.

• Like 2

Alfredo, read the article. Why wasn't she allowed a qualified interpreter? Strange that? Only woman on death row and has been there the shortest time; good political statement that the law is fair to men and woman?

• Like 1

I agree that the Filipina's case seems tragic, particularly as it will leave her children without a mother, but I see it as death by misadventure even if what she told the Indonesians was 100% accurate. How many times have we read of Filipina maids being murdered in Singapore or Hong Kong by angry employers - sadly, they're at the bottom of the pack in the eyes of many Asians and its clear that Indonesia's justice system doesnt want to spend any more time assessing her case. Would she really be so much better off spending the rest of her life in an Indonesian jail ? Another human being from a developing country being dealt a particularly nasty card - how many tears are shed here for Cambodian and Burmese workers in Thailand ......

What a predicament they have put their families in. I would hate to burden my family with something like this.

But I bet they never stopped and thought about what they were doing, how many lives they could destroy, how people may die. They only thought about quick money.

It has been said repeatedly, but they did know the risks and likely did not believe they would get caught...in fact they recruited others to courier the Heroin, perhaps thinking that they were the smartest people in the room.

Indonesia has every right to put Drug Smugglers to death. I have no issue with that. Justice has run its course. It's time.

Once these two traffickers are put to death they will never commit another crime

Problem solved

That is not crime deterrance, but the elimination of committers of crime - there's a large difference.

What has to be noted here is that the guys, no matter how bad their crime was, were/are in fact trying to show remorse behind bars and to help others.

To make the decision to remove somebody from the face of the earth is just as equally a crime in itself. In that context, I don't believe in execution, because keeping them behind bars for life is the best option. A death sentence is any easy way to take away blame and conscious remorse, and the continuously inflicted pain arising from being behind bars.

I'd sooner they live, help inmates, and receive life-long pain for their actions, rather than simply obliterate them. That is a much more justified way of handling the matter.

Of course, I'm sure there are TV posters who would willingly opt to take part in a firing squad, shoot an unarmed man in the head, and walk away without any feeling or effect, or affect even??? facepalm.gif

Edit: Apologies Chris Lawrence. I was responding to page 1, and only just saw your above post. wai.gif

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 2

Problem solved

That is not crime deterrance, but the elimination of committers of crime - there's a large difference.

What has to be noted here is that the guys, no matter how bad their crime was, were/are in fact trying to show remorse behind bars and to help others.

To make the decision to remove somebody from the face of the earth is just as equally a crime in itself. In that context, I don't believe in execution, because keeping them behind bars for life is the best option. A death sentence is any easy way to take away blame and conscious remorse, and the continuously inflicted pain arising from being behind bars.

I'd sooner they live, help inmates, and receive life-long pain for their actions, rather than simply obliterate them. That is a much more justified way of handling the matter.

Of course, I'm sure there are TV posters who would willingly opt to take part in a firing squad, shoot an unarmed man in the head, and walk away without any feeling or effect, or affect even??? facepalm.gif

Edit: Apologies Chris Lawrence. I was responding to page 1, and only just saw your above post. wai.gif

You are confused.

This killing not only eliminates the "committers of crime".

By the very public killing, it deters others from committing the same crime.

It's a win win.

The remorse is only because they got caught. They knew the penalty if they did get caught. There is really nothing to discuss.

• Like 2

Problem solved

You are confused.

This killing not only eliminates the "committers of crime".

By the very public killing, it deters others from committing the same crime.

It's a win win.

The remorse is only because they got caught. They knew the penalty if they did get caught. There is really nothing to discuss.

These so-called public executions are nothing new; so obviously they do not deter nor have they been successful in such therefore. There is always a mentality that does not comprehend the meaning of deterrance and, in that light, those persons I would observe have been either mis-led or are abnormal in some way. Thus, please explain how it is a win win situation. Don't the mis-led or abnormal need an offer of some repatriation of understanding? Why and for what reason do you condone their simple removal from the planet?

Death penalty deters normal people from committing a similar crime.

If there are still stupid or "abnormal" people, then let the death penalty sort them out. Darwin may have been on to something.

But do it swiftly and show it publicly. Make a statement.

I support the right of Indonesia to carry out the executions based on the very clear laws of that country.

A prison full of people who realize that prison is the worst that is going to happen to them will have less effect.

• Like 1

A Brief History of Crime

From Daily Mail Australia, and not Stephen Hawkins

> Bali Nine drug kingpin Andrew Chan, who is facing death by firing squad in Indonesia, masterminded another international heroin smuggling attempt out of Hong Kong - but the operation failed, resulting in three young Australians being jailed.
> Chan enlisted Sydney teenager Rachel Diaz, 17, and Chris Vo, 15, both from western Sydney, as drug couriers to smuggle $1 million worth of heroin in condoms, which they were to swallow in Hong Kong and bring back to Australia.
> The Hong Kong deal was to run at the same time as the Bali Nine operation - when Chan, Myuran Sumurakan and seven Australian mules were arrested, some with the drugs strapped to their bodies.
> It can also be revealed that after his own arrest, Chan wrote a letter to Diaz in Hong Kong, ordering her to keep her mouth shut.
> Chan and syndicate partner Sumurakan are on death row and were told this week by new Indonesian President Joko Widodo that he would not grant them pardons, despite their attempts to rehabilitate themselves behind bars. They could face death by firing squad in coming months.
> Chan, who Indonesian police called 'The Godfather' when they arrested him, was a key organiser of the Australian end of the smuggling and distribution network, which was detailed in the Hong Kong court during Diaz's trial and described as a 'predatory crime syndicate'.
> In just two weeks in April 2005, the syndicate was responsible for the arrest, and later the incarceration, of 17 young Australians for heroin trafficking in three countries.
> Diaz, Vo and their minder Hutchinson Tran, 22, were arrested in a low budget Hong Kong hotel room on April 12, 2005.
> They were found with 114 condoms filled with up to 1kg of heroin - but Diaz had had second thoughts about taking part in the operation, for which they were to be paid $200 for each 5cm-long condom they ingested.
> Diaz's father Ferdinand failed to get his daughter released on bail and 12 months after her arrest, she was sentenced to 10 years and eight months. Vo, by then 16, received nine years, and Tran got 13 years and four months.
> All have since been released, with Diaz serving out the majority of her sentence in a NSW women's prison after being transferred in February 2009 under the International Transfer of Prisoners' Act.
> Five days after her arrest, Bali police arrested Chan, Sukumaran and their mules Renae Lawrence, Martin Stephens, Scott Rush, Si Yi Chen, Matthew Norman, Michael Czugaj and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen. The seven couriers recruited by Chan and Sukumaran have all received sentences ranging from 18 years to life.
> Both the Bali Nine and the Hong Kong drug smuggling deals were connected with a third, lesser-known attempted heroin importation in which Chan and Sukumaran conspired with four young Brisbane people.
> In the lead up to the Bali Nine and the Hong Kong operations Chan and Sukumaran visited a young Korean-Australian who was later arrested and charged over the Hong Kong conspiracy following the arrest of Diaz, Vo and Tran.
> A Korean-Australian and a co-conspirator were charged with plotting to import the packages of heroin that Diaz and 15-year-old Vo were meant to swallow.
> Chan visited the Korean-Australian at least three times in different NSW prisons and once with Sukumaran in late 2004, just before the two made two 'practice' runs to Indonesia with several of the future Bali Nine couriers, including Renae Lawrence, and successfully returned to Australia with heroin strapped to their bodies.
> Chan, who was a manager at a Sydney catering company, duped three of his staff - Lawrence, Norman and Stephens - into becoming mules, promising them thousands of dollars in return.
> Following the arrests in Hong Kong and Bali within days of each other - and a series of other arrests in Sydney and Brisbane just days later - police said the Bali Nine had no connection with the Diaz case.
> However, detectives have exclusively revealed that Chan was in contact with Diaz for months and all three trafficking deals were connected to a Sydney-based Chinese drug smuggling syndicate which had links to Myanmar.
> Chan, who has found God in prison, was regularly visiting another convicted drug dealer in prison as he was conspiring to commit the Bali Nine deal.
> Diaz and Vo were recruited to go to Hong Kong as drug mules, police say, on the promise of $6000 or $7000 for a single trip.
> Diaz, a trainee hairdresser with churchgoing Filipino migrant parents, and Vo, a McDonald's worker and son of a single mother of Vietnamese origin, came from modest income families in western Sydney.
> Neither had previously known connections with drug syndicates, nor had they met before they flew out from Sydney to Hong Kong in April 2005.
> Diaz's parents, Ferdinand and Maria, believed she was having a sleep-over at a friend's house and then reported her missing when she failed to return.
> On the day she and Vo were due home, April 13, police believe the Korean-Australian went to Sydney Airport to collect them, armed with three packets of laxatives.
> Diaz and Vo were in a room at the Imperial Hotel, in Hong Long's Tsim Sha Tsui backpacker district, with the 114 heroin-filled condoms, supplied by Hutchinson Tran, when police burst in.
> Vo was prepared to swallow 30 packages but Diaz had apparently reconsidered, realising they could burst inside her stomach during the eight-hour flight back to Sydney.
> Meanwhile, four Australians from Brisbane - aged 24, 22, 18, and 19, had been arrested in Brisbane and charged with conspiring with Chan and Sukumaran of conspiring to import heroin to Australia.
> A fifth, Khanh Thanh Ly, 24, was arrested in Sydney. Ly subsequently pleaded guilty, but said he was only a 'run around' in the gang whose members included Sukumaran, and was never paid but did it for the 'glamour' and entries to parties and clubs.
> The Bali Nine incident was linked to one of the world's biggest drug syndicates, Crescent Moon, which has smuggled large quantities of heroin from Myanmar (Burma) to Western countries.
> Chan has admitted he saw the Bali Nine deal as a 'quick pay day'. He has never spoken about his involvement in the Hong Kong deal.
> In an interview with ABC TV he pleaded for clemency, saying if his death sentence was commuted and he was released from prison, he wanted to help the community and become a minister of religion.

• Like 1

Indonesia says to press ahead with executions, rules out Australian offer

JAKARTA (AFP) - Indonesia's security minister said Thursday that Jakarta would press ahead with the execution of two Australian drug smugglers and other foreign convicts, ruling out an offer of a prisoner swap put forward by Canberra.

"In accordance with the president’s order, the death penalty handed to the convicts will still be conducted," Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno told reporters in Jakarta.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Indonesia-says-to-press-ahead-with-executions-rule-30255370.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-05

A Brief History of Crime

From Daily Mail Australia, and not Stephen Hawkins

> Bali Nine drug kingpin Andrew Chan, who is facing death by firing squad in Indonesia, masterminded another international heroin smuggling attempt out of Hong Kong - but the operation failed, resulting in three young Australians being jailed.

> Chan enlisted Sydney teenager Rachel Diaz, 17, and Chris Vo, 15, both from western Sydney, as drug couriers to smuggle $1 million worth of heroin in condoms, which they were to swallow in Hong Kong and bring back to Australia.

> The Hong Kong deal was to run at the same time as the Bali Nine operation - when Chan, Myuran Sumurakan and seven Australian mules were arrested, some with the drugs strapped to their bodies.

> It can also be revealed that after his own arrest, Chan wrote a letter to Diaz in Hong Kong, ordering her to keep her mouth shut.

> Chan and syndicate partner Sumurakan are on death row and were told this week by new Indonesian President Joko Widodo that he would not grant them pardons, despite their attempts to rehabilitate themselves behind bars. They could face death by firing squad in coming months.

> Chan, who Indonesian police called 'The Godfather' when they arrested him, was a key organiser of the Australian end of the smuggling and distribution network, which was detailed in the Hong Kong court during Diaz's trial and described as a 'predatory crime syndicate'.

> In just two weeks in April 2005, the syndicate was responsible for the arrest, and later the incarceration, of 17 young Australians for heroin trafficking in three countries.

> Diaz, Vo and their minder Hutchinson Tran, 22, were arrested in a low budget Hong Kong hotel room on April 12, 2005.

> They were found with 114 condoms filled with up to 1kg of heroin - but Diaz had had second thoughts about taking part in the operation, for which they were to be paid $200 for each 5cm-long condom they ingested.

> Diaz's father Ferdinand failed to get his daughter released on bail and 12 months after her arrest, she was sentenced to 10 years and eight months. Vo, by then 16, received nine years, and Tran got 13 years and four months.

> All have since been released, with Diaz serving out the majority of her sentence in a NSW women's prison after being transferred in February 2009 under the International Transfer of Prisoners' Act.

> Five days after her arrest, Bali police arrested Chan, Sukumaran and their mules Renae Lawrence, Martin Stephens, Scott Rush, Si Yi Chen, Matthew Norman, Michael Czugaj and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen. The seven couriers recruited by Chan and Sukumaran have all received sentences ranging from 18 years to life.

> Both the Bali Nine and the Hong Kong drug smuggling deals were connected with a third, lesser-known attempted heroin importation in which Chan and Sukumaran conspired with four young Brisbane people.

> In the lead up to the Bali Nine and the Hong Kong operations Chan and Sukumaran visited a young Korean-Australian who was later arrested and charged over the Hong Kong conspiracy following the arrest of Diaz, Vo and Tran.

> A Korean-Australian and a co-conspirator were charged with plotting to import the packages of heroin that Diaz and 15-year-old Vo were meant to swallow.

> Chan visited the Korean-Australian at least three times in different NSW prisons and once with Sukumaran in late 2004, just before the two made two 'practice' runs to Indonesia with several of the future Bali Nine couriers, including Renae Lawrence, and successfully returned to Australia with heroin strapped to their bodies.

> Chan, who was a manager at a Sydney catering company, duped three of his staff - Lawrence, Norman and Stephens - into becoming mules, promising them thousands of dollars in return.

> Following the arrests in Hong Kong and Bali within days of each other - and a series of other arrests in Sydney and Brisbane just days later - police said the Bali Nine had no connection with the Diaz case.

> However, detectives have exclusively revealed that Chan was in contact with Diaz for months and all three trafficking deals were connected to a Sydney-based Chinese drug smuggling syndicate which had links to Myanmar.

> Chan, who has found God in prison, was regularly visiting another convicted drug dealer in prison as he was conspiring to commit the Bali Nine deal.

> Diaz and Vo were recruited to go to Hong Kong as drug mules, police say, on the promise of $6000 or $7000 for a single trip.

> Diaz, a trainee hairdresser with churchgoing Filipino migrant parents, and Vo, a McDonald's worker and son of a single mother of Vietnamese origin, came from modest income families in western Sydney.

> Neither had previously known connections with drug syndicates, nor had they met before they flew out from Sydney to Hong Kong in April 2005.

> Diaz's parents, Ferdinand and Maria, believed she was having a sleep-over at a friend's house and then reported her missing when she failed to return.

> On the day she and Vo were due home, April 13, police believe the Korean-Australian went to Sydney Airport to collect them, armed with three packets of laxatives.

> Diaz and Vo were in a room at the Imperial Hotel, in Hong Long's Tsim Sha Tsui backpacker district, with the 114 heroin-filled condoms, supplied by Hutchinson Tran, when police burst in.

> Vo was prepared to swallow 30 packages but Diaz had apparently reconsidered, realising they could burst inside her stomach during the eight-hour flight back to Sydney.

> Meanwhile, four Australians from Brisbane - aged 24, 22, 18, and 19, had been arrested in Brisbane and charged with conspiring with Chan and Sukumaran of conspiring to import heroin to Australia.

> A fifth, Khanh Thanh Ly, 24, was arrested in Sydney. Ly subsequently pleaded guilty, but said he was only a 'run around' in the gang whose members included Sukumaran, and was never paid but did it for the 'glamour' and entries to parties and clubs.

> The Bali Nine incident was linked to one of the world's biggest drug syndicates, Crescent Moon, which has smuggled large quantities of heroin from Myanmar (Burma) to Western countries.

> Chan has admitted he saw the Bali Nine deal as a 'quick pay day'. He has never spoken about his involvement in the Hong Kong deal.

> In an interview with ABC TV he pleaded for clemency, saying if his death sentence was commuted and he was released from prison, he wanted to help the community and become a minister of religion.

Quote: "> They were found with 114 condoms filled with up to 1kg of heroin - but Diaz had had second thoughts about taking part in the operation, for which they were to be paid $200 for each 5cm-long condom they ingested.

> Diaz's father Ferdinand failed to get his daughter released on bail and 12 months after her arrest, she was sentenced to 10 years and eight months": unquote.

________

Her choice. I'm sure if totally necessary she could have use her body in different ways to oraly intake 5cm long condoms and earn much more in a day than taking a 'trip'.

Are there not signs at Indonesian entry exit points, pointing put the possible dire consequences of this kind of activity? Or do some people think the warnings are aimed at someone elss?

How many times have we read of Filipina maids being murdered in Singapore or Hong Kong by angry employers

Zero, in the case of Singapore, anyway. And none in Hong Kong either, according to a quick Google search.

BUT, good possibility, soon one, a mother of three youngsters, killed in Indonesia. blink.png

Also not from an employer, but the Ind. Government. sad.png

Edited by ALFREDO

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get on with it, the footy season starts in few weeks and these lowlife traffickers have taken up enough space on the planet

I would contend there is not a single person on this earth that has not done something wrong, and pleaded for leniency, usually when young.

And a single mother, or father, or close relative, that would not be mortified at the thought of their loved one being put to death.

I guess it is easy to bay for blood, when it is not your own, or that of kith and kin.

I could understand it if someone has been personally hurt, otherwise it is difficult not to think there are some extremely vindictive posters on this forum.

So true. As my mother used to say - "A mind-feeling like a slaughterhouse dog." blink.png

• Like 1