Phuket beach vendors take their complaint to Bangkok

webfact

Phuket beach vendors take their complaint to Bangkok
Tanyaluk Sakoot

image.jpg
Photo caption: Phujket beach venors hold plackards with comments such as “Please, return tourism”, “We work honestly jobs, not mafia”, “What will farangs will eat without us!” and “Phuket people want to meet the Prime Minister”.

PHUKET: -- A group of around 300 Phuket beach vendors gathered outside of the complaints centre of the Royal Thai Government in Bangkok yesterday morning (March 3) to hand over a letter explaining their unhappiness at Phuket̕s new beach management systems.

The contents of the letter repeat the vendor's request to allow them to go back to work on the beaches on Phuket, and also to allow justice for 178 vendors who have been charged with encroaching on public land since the new system has been introduced.

It goes on to state that the vendors have been operating on the beaches for 30-40 years and that the new beach managemnet system is now also affecting small hotels and shopkeepers.

Jakkarin Jareujit, a member of the Patong Vendors Club told The Phuket News, “300 members of the Phuket Vendors Club have already passed our letter to a representative of the government. We do not agree with the Phuket Governor's plan about working on the beaches in Phuket.

“I will not starve to death because I still have a 10 per cent area where I can carry on my business. However, many tourist complain about this.

“We might lose good tourist, not Chinese tourist. I have a right to speak. I would like to be interviewed by national media about how the governor̕s plan is attempting to change tourism activities.

“The cabinet representative has already contacated the Phuket governor, and now suddenly he has said he will meet us and talk about our issues when he comes back from aboard.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-vendors-take-their-complanit-to-bangkok-51243.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-04

“We might lose good tourist, not Chinese tourist. I have a right to speak".

What a public relations nightmare. This person/group seems to have hired the same speech writer as others in higher places.

What allow them back on the beaches to extort and bully those that choose not the use the chairs? What part of "public" beach do you morons not understand, for too many years you have used the exact mafia tactics you claim not to use. I for one am happy to see clear beaches and when I place my towel on the beach, I am not harassed. If I need to eat, I get off my ass and go get it.

So you must be very happy as 99 % of thai beaches are completely beach chairs free. Perhaps you could show some tolerance for those who prefer a full service, for their convenience or because of bad health.
  • Like 1

Quit belly aching . The beaches are public land not there for private enterprise. The problem was that the past governments turned a blind eye to your activity.

If I was the Governor I would help you get other work. The beach is not yours to run a business on PERIOD

I agree with post #5. My exact opinion on this subject. Individuals should wake-up and take account for their actions and make an effort to respect the law! The services offered and provided by beach vendors was/is substandard plus the foreshore resembles a tip-pit, a real eye soar. Typical mentality, Cry wolf! Thailand wants quality customers, then offer safer, politer, cleaner and fresher places for people to visit in comfort with none of this Thai - Farang pricing scam. I'm sure that those vendors concerned are fully aware that they have been breaking the law plus by-laws for years!

They said what will Farang eat with out them, as if they are only concerned about that, what a croc of shit, Half of them are no good and the other half are just as bad, it is the Thai way, if you take it from us we will protest or take no notice of you, The law is the law, and they broke it simple, get over it, like the Farang will with out your food. And that's not what is killing the Tourist.

What allow them back on the beaches to extort and bully those that choose not the use the chairs? What part of "public" beach do you morons not understand, for too many years you have used the exact mafia tactics you claim not to use. I for one am happy to see clear beaches and when I place my towel on the beach, I am not harassed. If I need to eat, I get off my ass and go get it.

So you must be very happy as 99 % of thai beaches are completely beach chairs free. Perhaps you could show some tolerance for those who prefer a full service, for their convenience or because of bad health.

The law is the law, regardless of health and preference.

There is no way to police this to half way.

It is either all off or all on, and so all off it is. They should pass a law that every temporary structure must be removed from the beach by 8pm. That is simple and doable. Everything off the beach and clean for rhe morning.

Next is sand cleaning.

So just for your convenience you want the standover tactics to continue and the beautiful beaches to go back to the cluttered humdrum like before? And what bad health conditions require visits to the beach and the need to have beach chairs and food stalls on public land to aid in recuperation? Yes, very happy that the beaches are returning to what they should be, uncluttered and hopefully pristine, to be enjoyed by all.

It is about time that these people, who have been acting illegally forever and a day, understand that if they are told they have to obey the rule of law, then do just that. It is a major problem here in Thailand, no matter what many do, driving, gambling, running illegal bars, etc., that they think they can do so with impunity because they believe the law is not applicable to them.

Well, guess what, they are now finding out they are not above the law, and are now unable to bribe anyone to get away with their illegal and sometimes criminal activities. But it is ok with you I see, all for the sake of tolerance, convenience and bad health to continue on in this vein. Sorry but there are just as many people, if not more, who think logically and do not condone such illegal activities, as it is evident you do. What other nefarious activities would you like to see continued?

Edited by Si Thea01

So just for your convenience you want the standover tactics to continue and the beautiful beaches to go back to the cluttered humdrum like before? And what bad health conditions require visits to the beach and the need to have beach chairs and food stalls on public land to aid in recuperation? Yes, very happy that the beaches are returning to what they should be, uncluttered and hopefully pristine, to be enjoyed by all.

It is about time that these people, who have been acting illegally forever and a day, understand that if they are told they have to obey the rule of law, then do just that. It is a major problem here in Thailand, no matter what many do, driving, gambling, running illegal bars, etc., that they think they can do so with impunity because they believe the law is not applicable to them.

Well, guess what, they are now finding out they are not above the law, and are now unable to bribe anyone to get away with their illegal and sometimes criminal activities. But it is ok with you I see, all for the sake of tolerance, convenience and bad health to continue on in this vein. Sorry but there are just as many people, if not more, who think logically and do not condone such illegal activities, as it is evident you do. What other nefarious activities would you like to see continued?

Nice)))

The ones that want full service can still go to the 10% area's as long as they are not overflowing with tourists.. what is the problem. You worry you have to walk a bit further ?

why do those who want the sunbed back ignore the 10% area.. Its there and as long as its not full why not go there you got your sunbeds and your drinks there. This is done to keep check on it and give people a viable place to go to.. sheer laziness on the tourist side.

Hi IIz,

What I would prefer is the right to choose, in the past that right was certainly not granted to anyone that tried to set up a position by themselves.