Giardia off/on for a month now - what to do?

simon43

Note - Giardia is Dr Google's diagnosis after I ate some badly-prepared seafood, but it seems the right diagnosis.

Initial symptoms during the first few days: Lots of watery diarohea (can anyone spell that word?!), fatigue, slight fever, obnoxious farting (more than normal).

The pharmacy treated me for an intestinal infection, not sure what the tablets were, but they seem to help.

But one month later, I still have greasy stools and obnoxious farts, plus a tender stomach and general fatigue. I am taking Norflox, but it isn't helping and just seems to upset my stomach.

Any suggestions as to an alternative medication to kill this intestinal infection? My farting is losing me friends....

charcoal

The infection is in my small intestine, not in my stomach. I don't think charcoal will help

the pharmacy treated you - how about a stool sample at a proper doctor? I went to the pharamcist this morning to look for Anusol for a hemmoroid and the lady handed me tylenol lol

• Like 2

Not to recommend self-prescription, but since you're doing it anyway I'll just warn you that the two most common medicines for treating giardiasis -- you'll no doubt come across them at some point -- can produce serious reactions if you drink alcohol while they're in your system. Don't drink while you're being treated with either of them.

• Like 2

Flagyl (metronidazole) is the only treatment that would work.

Yes, I can now see that the first prescription that I had about 3 weeks ago was Metronidazole, which seemed to work very well. But after I completed the prescription, the symptoms returned and the pharmacy gave me Norflox, which doesn't seem correct (says Dr Google).

I have just got a new Flagyl course of tablets, so will start that now.

BTW, no warning from the pharmacy about not drinking alcohol - no wonder strange things happened when I took the first course of pills along with my glass of white wine :)

Let's hope that this 1-week supply of Flagyl cures the problem - I will also eat natural yogs etc as advised.

charcoal

The infection is in my small intestine, not in my stomach. I don't think charcoal will help

charcoal will enter the small after stomach and surely help, but need a lot to be effective.

Could be giardia but a stool sample would be needed to confirm. It seems you have taken only Norfloxacin which is not the treatment for giardia.

Best to see a doc to prescribe the correct dosage and duration of treatment which may require repeated doses or an extensive period.

Charcoal will help with absorption of the toxins in the intestine and is always useful.

Norfloxacin is a very potent antibiotic and would have destroyed much of the normal intestinal bacteria so probiotics as well as foods such as natural yogurt will be useful to re-establish those; the more normal and balanced the intestinal bacteria is, the better the resistance to other infections.

Flagyl with alcohol results in quite severe reactions and should be avoided.

how to eat charcoal with antibiotics? In my understanding the charcoal may also absorb some of the antibiotics?

Can't remember when or where I read/heard this, but I recall "hearing" that charcoal can affect medicine's effectiveness by absorbing it along with toxins. True, or old wives tale?

Can't remember when or where I read/heard this, but I recall "hearing" that charcoal can affect medicine's effectiveness by absorbing it along with toxins. True, or old wives tale?

As it absorb a lot of things, it would be logic that it happens the same for medication and toxins.

How relevant that is in real life is a other question.

Theoretically, it certainly is possible that activated charcoal may absorb some of the active ingredients of an antibiotic; I could not find any literature to support that though but it would make sense to start taking activated charcoal after the course of antibiotics. It will certainly help with the flatulence.

There is about a 20% failure rate for treatment with metronidazole but re-infection via fecal/oral route is common.

The dose for Flagyl (metronidazole) is 250mg three times daily for at least 7 days.

Alternate treatment is Tinidazole as a single oral dose of 2g which, in the OP's case is advisable.

• Like 1

I started on the Flagyl yesterday, couple of tablets each day. My stomach upset has gone, which is encouraging.

But although my body is starting to feel better, I am physically very tired and as weak as a kitten.

Alternate treatment is Tinidazole as a single oral dose of 2g which, in the OP's case is advisable.

Why advisable? Would this be a better treatment than taking Flagyl?

The 20% failure rate in treatment for giardia is partly or mostly due to drug resistance when treated with Metronidazole so if the infection flares up again a switch of drug is usually advisable.

If there is improvement, no need to change but, if after 4-6 weeks it flares up again, Tinidazole is probably the way to go..

It has less gastrointestinal side effects and is a convenient single dose.

The fatigue is as result of the infection; the parasite destroys intestinal lining leading to mal-absorption; hence also the unpleasant flatulence..

• Like 2

True, it is administered in cases of accidental overdose or attempted suicide.

True, it is administered in cases of accidental overdose or attempted suicide.

True but is there such a thing as antibiotic overdose? maybe but will charcoal be effective?

Google is marvellous; however, there is a limit to what you can do with self-diagnosis. See a doctor and have your stool tested - for all you know, could be a tapeworm.

Charcoal will definitely reduce the effectiveness of most medications. Alcohol is also bad news with many medications.

Flagyl is the cure but I had Giardia for a long time because I was given the wrong dosage. I eventually was told by a doctor in UK, who had worked in India, to take the whole course in two days. He said that if you take Flagyl over a week or so it will recover but knock it on the head and it won't return. It cured me but I was 'lactose intolerant' - allergic to dairy products for several years. As others have said Flagyl works but avoid alcohol for a couple of weeks after.

Good luck - it's horrible to think of those parasites living on the wall of your stomach.

This is from the mayo clinic

Children and adults who have giardia infection without symptoms usually don't need treatment unless they're likely to spread the parasites. Many people who do have problems often get better on their own in a few weeks.

When signs and symptoms are severe or the infection persists, doctors usually treat giardiasis with medications such as:

• Metronidazole (Flagyl). Metronidazole is the most commonly used antibiotic for giardia infection. Side effects may include nausea and a metallic taste in the mouth. Don't drink alcohol while taking this medication.
  • Tinidazole (Tindamax). Tinidazole works as well as metronidazole and has many of the same side effects, but it can be given in a single dose.
  • Nitazoxanide (Alinia). Because it comes in a liquid form, nitazoxanide may be easier for children to swallow. Side effects may include nausea, flatulence, yellow eyes and brightly colored yellow urine.

There are no consistently recommended medications for giardiasis in pregnancy because of the potential for adverse drug effects to the baby. If your symptoms are mild, your doctor may recommend delaying treatment until after the first trimester. If treatment is necessary, discuss the best available treatment option with your doctor.

charcoal

the pharmacy treated you - how about a stool sample at a proper doctor? I went to the pharamcist this morning to look for Anusol for a hemmoroid and the lady handed me tylenol lol

"how about a stool sample at a proper doctor?"

Yes, if it's been going on and on, you're probably dehydrated and suffering a loss of electrolytes, among other things. Time to get it checked out by having a sample analyzed and the treatment decided by a doctor... and tell them everything you've been treating yourself with since that could effect the lab results.

Could be giardia but a stool sample would be needed to confirm. It seems you have taken only Norfloxacin which is not the treatment for giardia.

Best to see a doc to prescribe the correct dosage and duration of treatment which may require repeated doses or an extensive period.

Charcoal will help with absorption of the toxins in the intestine and is always useful.

Norfloxacin is a very potent antibiotic and would have destroyed much of the normal intestinal bacteria so probiotics as well as foods such as natural yogurt will be useful to re-establish those; the more normal and balanced the intestinal bacteria is, the better the resistance to other infections.

Now that is what I call a great post !!

Brief and to the point and very good and accurate advice - no self-serving opinion, no chip-on-shoulder statement, no smart-arrsse innapropriate joke.

Thanks and duly noted for if it ever happens to myself.

When my posts grow up they want to be just like yours post-4641-1156694083.gif.pagespeed.ce.HF

​Why? Flagyl with other pain killers are ok, I may be wrong FBN. Used for the right purpose, they are fine.----FBN don't frightened people, We need to make people happy when they die!smile.png Stop your baloney!ermm.gif

I had giardia in the past and took flagyl. Felt better immediately but you must continue to take the medicine for the duration as it continues to kill the new giardia born from eggs laid by the initial illness and you must go through the entire cycle. I second the comment that you should not drink alcohol. I did right after stopping the medicine and was violently ill. Should wait for it to get entirely out of your system first. After that episode was told by a nurse that some doctors use flagyl in treating people with drinking problems as it will definitely make you sick. A great drug for treating giardia but be careful with alcohol.

.....and if the treatment cures what ails ya.............stop eating Shrimp, or any of those crustaceans dug along the river beds ESPECIALLY coming from Bangkok!.........all forms of filth in the streets of Bangkok go into the Klongs which end upon in the rivers which then ends in the Gulf of Siam. I am very very surprised no out breaks of Emboli hasn't developed. Thais, unlike you have built themselves quite a tolerance to eating filthily things moving about on a dirty plate. Be more vigilant on what you eat my friend!