Retirement Visa - British national Japanese income

If you applied for a OA visa you would to show money in a bank in Japan (or here would be accepted) or proof of income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You are an extension of stay based upon attending school. You ED visa has already expired and means nothing now other than it gave you a non immigrant visa entry.

To change the reason for your extension from attending school to retirement you will need to meet the financial requirements on the date your apply. If using money in the bank it would have to be there for 2 months. You could do the change as soon as you have the money in the bank for 2 months. You would not have to wait until your current extension expires.

There is no change from a O to a OA visa. You just apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

OA visas are not done here they are only done at embassies and official consulates.

If you applied for a OA visa you would to show money in a bank in Japan (or here would be accepted) or proof of income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You are an extension of stay based upon attending school. You ED visa has already expired and means nothing now other than it gave you a non immigrant visa entry.

To change the reason for your extension from attending school to retirement you will need to meet the financial requirements on the date your apply. If using money in the bank it would have to be there for 2 months. You could do the change as soon as you have the money in the bank for 2 months. You would not have to wait until your current extension expires.

There is no change from a O to a OA visa. You just apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

OA visas are not done here they are only done at embassies and official consulates.

So, I am going to Japan either in late April or early May

I will have enough money in the bank there, BUT you are saying that I will need to show that the money in my bank account in Japan will have to be there two months prior to applying?

If so, that is a problem.

You wrote IF using money in the bank it would need to be there for two months. Since you say "if" is there any other way to meet the financial requirements without showing proof of money in the bank?

What about this option-

I have about $1,000 a month in income from both the US and Japanese government. If I could make up the balance by showing income from my investment account, would I then no longer need to worry about showing any money two months prior?

And then...

I am still not clear.

Are you saying there could be a way to make things work by going to Laos or another country close by?

What I am really trying to avoid is needing to travel back to Japan a month or so after having just been there.

If I had the 800K here in Thailand for two months prior to applying, is there any way to change over in Bangkok?

Thanks again, for all your help!

Regards,

Charlie

One more thing that I forgot to write before...

Went to Immigration here in Chiang Rai yesterday with my landlord, who is a savvy Thai lady.

We got the guy I was hoping to get. He processed my last two extensions and has been friendly.

He said to wind up changing over the reason for extension to "retirement" I would need to leave the country, no matter what.

So that is part of the reason I am asking if I can't do this in Bangkok.

If you apply for a OA visa in Japan the money does not need to be in the bank for 2 months. That is only needed here when you apply for an extension of stay here. You can use a combination of money in the bank and income to get the OA visa or an extension of stay here.

You can get a single non-o visa in Vientiane Laos which appears to your best option.

He said to wind up changing over the reason for extension to "retirement" I would need to leave the country, no matter what.

So that is part of the reason I am asking if I can't do this in Bangkok.

Thais is because you're on ED extension, to which they have adverse unwritten policies. If you were to do a border hop and re-enter visa exempt, they could process a visa conversion application. Otherwise you cat get the non-imm 'O' visa in Vientane, Laos.

What paperwork do you need to get a non immigrant O in Vientiene ? The bank letter showing 800k presumably, is there anything else ? I presume this is a favoured route by the visa run companies, is this correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What paperwork do you need to get a non immigrant O in Vientiene ? The bank letter showing 800k presumably, is there anything else ? I presume this is a favoured route by the visa run companies, is this correct.

Bank letter, bank book and/or embassy affidavit (depending by your particular situation), original and copy of rental agreement may be useful. That's all.

Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bank letter, bank book and/or embassy affidavit (depending by your particular situation), original and copy of rental agreement may be useful. That's all.

paz

"What paperwork do you need to get a non immigrant O in Vientiene "

Are you sure you have provided kinyara with ALL the information requested ?

Edited by nzexpat

"What paperwork do you need to get a non immigrant O in Vientiene "

Are you sure you have provided kinyara with ALL the information requested ?

Yes, I did. Now come back saying that he also need to present his passport, and have us laugh.

k bahtk b

A bank letter is not needed. Just your up to date bank book showing the 800k baht or an income letter (or affidavit. stat declaration and etc) or both totaling 800K baht will be accepted. If using income just attach a copy to the application and show the original so you can use it when you apply for the extension.

No need for proof of residence.

Joe, I looked at the link you suggested a week or so ago. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

I don't even see a mention of OA.

But for the O it says that an individual only has to show B20,000.

So what is that about?

I believe you when you say B800,000 but wondering why that is not stated on the link you suggested.

Will I need to be showing proof of residency in Thailand?

And then AFTER getting this visa for 90 days, when I go to extend it for reasons of retirement, is that when I need to show B800K?

Or will I need to show the 800K in Vientiane, but NOT as having been in the bank for at least two months?

No need to prove a clean criminal record, and no need for a physical?

Thanks again!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Joe, I looked at the link you suggested a week or so ago. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

I don't even see a mention of OA.

But for the O it says that an individual only has to show B20,000.

So what is that about?

I believe you when you say B800,000 but wondering why that is not stated on the link you suggested.

Will I need to be showing proof of residency in Thailand?

And then AFTER getting this visa for 90 days, when I go to extend it for reasons of retirement, is that when I need to show B800K?

Or will I need to show the 800K in Vientiane, but NOT as having been in the bank for at least two months?

No need to prove a clean criminal record, and no need for a physical?

Thanks again!

O/A visa mentioned on this part of that website !

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html