South Korean media say US ambassador attacked and hurt

webfact

South Korean media say US ambassador attacked and hurt

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean media say U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert has been attacked while giving a lecture and taken to a hospital for treatment.

Yonhap news agency said Lippert was injured, but it wasn't clear the exact nature of his injuries. YTN TV showed a picture of Lippert bleeding from the head and wrist but said his injuries weren't seen as life threatening. Calls to Embassy and police weren't immediately returned on Thursday. YTN said a man only identified by his surname, Kim, was arrested after the attack.

Lippert, 42, became ambassador last year and has been mostly popular during his time in Seoul. His wife gave birth here and the couple gave their son a Korean middle name. Lippert was formerly the U.S. Assistant Secretary Defense for Asian affairs.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-05

I find no humour in the misery and pain inflicted on others.

I suppose one can find something funny about anything, anywhere and at any time. The challenge is to overcome self and do one thing each day to bring peace, happiness and tranquility to someone I come across.

May the Ambassador recover quickly.

Indeed - hope he recovers quickly. Seems a decent guy.

The BBC shows pics - looks like the attacker got close enough to slash out with a knife and cut his face and wrist/forearm area.

<deleted> were the security detail doing? The attacker is a known nutter too.

What on earth was his security detail doing?

Yonhap news agency said Lippert was injured, but it wasn't clear the exact nature of his injuries.

"In a televised briefing, Chung Nam-sik of the Severance Hospital said 80 stiches were needed to close the facial wound, which was 11 centimeters (just more than 4 inches) long and 3 centimeters (just more than 1 inch) deep. He added the cut did not affect his nerves or salivary gland.

Chung said the knife penetrated through Lippert's left arm and damaged the nerves connected to his pinkie and tendons connected to his thumb. Lippert will need to be treated at the hospital for the next three or four days and may experience sensory problems in his left hand for several months, Chung said."

The new ambassador needs to review again the rules of personal security that apply in any city of any nation.

- Never repeat your route on a daily basis

- Never visit same places at the same times

- Be aware of your surroundings

- Any US government official is a potential target

- Change methods of travel

The ambassador didn't deserve the attack but he could do more to avoid attacks.

"In a televised briefing, Chung Nam-sik of the Severance Hospital said 80 stiches were needed to close the facial wound, which was 11 centimeters (just more than 4 inches) long

Twenty stitches to the inch? What did the doc use, a Pfaff sewing machine?

I find no humour in the misery and pain inflicted on others.

I suppose one can find something funny about anything, anywhere and at any time. The challenge is to overcome self and do one thing each day to bring peace, happiness and tranquility to someone I come across.

May the Ambassador recover quickly.

Indeed - hope he recovers quickly. Seems a decent guy.

The BBC shows pics - looks like the attacker got close enough to slash out with a knife and cut his face and wrist/forearm area.

<deleted> were the security detail doing? The attacker is a known nutter too.

Apparently, the restaurant where the incident took place is located opposite the front entrance to the US Embassy and being so close to 'home' as it were, was perceived to be safe.

Wow, how sad. I hope the Ambassador heals quickly. This could really scar a person emotionally. It's also sad to hear the North praising the attack.

Let's hope some justice in South Korea prevails and this sicko gets a long prison term. The last time he made less violent mischief he was given a two year suspended sentence. Let's hope that doesn't happen this time around.