German man dies in apparent suicide

Thaivisa News

The story seems odd to me. What I don't understand is that he's a young man (by my standards) and a computer programmer.

Surely, whilst you might be down on your luck at times, at that age and with a very much sought after trade, why would you top yourself?. Weird and sad.

Very true. I am sure an outsourcing firm could have placed him here in Thailand, and he almost certainly could have found work in Germany to get back on his feet. Possibly he had many deeper issues and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. We all get to a breaking point at some time. I believe there are many times when that point ends tragically for expats here as they do not have the close support network (friends and family) that they might have back home, and the isolation works against them.

• Like 1

Sorry, this has not been my experience. Many Thai women have asked me for money to make merit. Poor guy. Probably gave up his last Euros to her. It can be hard to tell them "no".

Your experiences surprise me. They are contrary to mine. Gifts of cash then used to make merit make no merit for the recipient of the gift. Even the least educated of Thais know this and adhere to it.

Just tell me this.

Where is the Thai wife going to find the money to make merit if she hasn't got any income?

Must be from the husband as money don't grow on trees.

You need to read the story. The claim is that the husband gave her 200 Baht and told her to go and make merit.

In order to make merit, the money should be hers (if need be out of her monthly allowance) and not gifted to her to make merit.

You need to learn more about this, Costas, seriously.

Back on topic, this is a very odd story and follows in a very long line of implausible suicide conclusions by the Thai police.

My wife automatically thinks My money is Hers too.

No Thai woman would accept money as a gift to make merit. No merit is gained this way. Something is not right with this story.

Sorry, this has not been my experience. Many Thai women have asked me for money to make merit. Poor guy. Probably gave up his last Euros to her. It can be hard to tell them "no".

Your experiences surprise me. They are contrary to mine. Gifts of cash then used to make merit make no merit for the recipient of the gift. Even the least educated of Thais know this and adhere to it.

Just tell me this.

Where is the Thai wife going to find the money to make merit if she hasn't got any income?

Must be from the husband as money don't grow on trees.

It does - in Greece.

That's the solution. Call Merkel.

I also don't think you can kill yourself with a bag alone. You would also need something to knock yourself out.

Most people take a sedative as well, so one falls asleep and does not sense the lack of oxygen. This guy must have had lots of willpower. Personally, in his situation, I would try to obtain barbiturates or a powerful opiate as well, to avoid discomfort.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Why do they publish the name?

Why do they publish a wrong name?

I strongly doubt that a surname Breidenaged does exist. Something got lost in translation.

Does Schickelgruber sound like a real name? Probably something did get lost in the reporting of the name which did not need translating in the first place..

Man what a depressing story...sad for you ole chap...I am sure something could have been worked out...maybe there should be a suicide "hotline" for foreign tourists and ex-pats...

If the story is true then Helmut/Joe is gutless coward. Leaving his wife and kids potless and in pain from his death. The German government look after their citizens (unlike the British one), he would have got help from them to get home and so on, yet he chose the coward's way out...... W*nker. My next door neighbour in Rawai was a German gut with a Thai wife and child together. He died from a heart attack. The German government send money every month to his wife for her and the child (who had a German passport) as they want to support the kid etc and reckon he's better off where he is with his mum and friends.

I also don't think you can kill yourself with a bag alone. You would also need something to knock yourself out.

You could - quite easily. That's why in most countries plastic bags now must have holes and some danger warnings too. Many children playing with discarded plastic bags got them on their heads and suffocated by accident.

However, the natural reaction when suffocating is to grab the bag and pull it off or rip it to let air inside. An adult has more success at this than a child. Those committing suicide in this way would look to restrain their hands in some way to prevent this.

Thats what I thought. Like commiting suicide by putting your head in a bucket of water and drowning yourself. How ever depressed you are it can't be done you must get air. Out of a condo window is easy ,but a plastic bag to suffocate yourself without your hands tied............

Another f8cked up story purporting to be suicide. It is impossible to purpsely suffocate yourself with a bag and sticky tape, even if you tried you would be thrashing about the room while you tried to breathe. Another murder covered up as suicide.

Agreed 100%. No more money.......no more honey..

RIP Alfred

Damn,,,,,,,,,,I hope she goes back and reclaim the 200Baht........its going to be quite sometime before another meal ticket shows up at the door!

Sad. Not really news is it. More like posting something, anything at anyone's expense.

Maybe it's the new meal ticket who helped him with the plastic bag and duct tape....

Maybe a Police report on death of farang looks something like this:

Cause of death:

Suicide

__ balcony

__bag over head

__driving

__other

Homicide

__ by other farang

__ by Asian: Burma__ Cambodia__ Laos__

Don't forget to add to the Homicide list,

--- Your best Farang friend and you were gay and murdered you due to a love triangle with a woman. --- Quote, The David and Hannah case on Koh Tao

• Like 1

Maybe a Police report on death of farang looks something like this:

Cause of death:

Suicide

__ balcony

__bag over head

__driving

__other

Homicide

__ by other farang

__ by Asian: Burma__ Cambodia__ Laos__

But yes, Suicide seem to be the easiest one for them with less paperwork...

Specially Pattaya's balcony suicide jumpers.....

Edited by CapeThai

The wife is 21, divorced with two kids, but they had been together for 4 years?

Obviously she married quite young, they been married 4 yrs so she was 17 when she married him not counting any time they were courting. Very sad he only young man really.

yes, and already divorced with 2 kids, so that makes her 15 or younger for her first marriage? Not so strange in Isaan.......

Maybe Joe was his nickname? But this story doesn't add up to me, why write about his clothes? how can someone put a bag over their own head and then successfully tape it without getting all tangled up? Men in general have more blood and guts when they kill themselves (so I've read) He lived in a three storey house, why not throw himself off the balcony, or slit his wrists? this form of suicide just doesn't sound the norm, or maybe I've watched too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

• Like 1

if he had chosen either of your two options, would that have pleased you? would that have removed doubt? I didn't think so.

Maybe there is something untoward in this story, maybe not. And to those who suggest he was a coward, I disagree. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to kill yourself, don't you think?

Maybe Joe was his nickname? But this story doesn't add up to me, why write about his clothes? how can someone put a bag over their own head and then successfully tape it without getting all tangled up? Men in general have more blood and guts when they kill themselves (so I've read) He lived in a three storey house, why not throw himself off the balcony, or slit his wrists? this form of suicide just doesn't sound the norm, or maybe I've watched too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

They were husband and wife. It was "their" money. You cannot seriously suggest that no Thai wife has ever made merit with baht handed to her by her husband.

My wife would never make merit with cash I gave her-it does not count and does not work that way

No Thai woman would accept money as a gift to make merit. No merit is gained this way. Something is not right with this story.

Edited by davetrout

Suicide by placing a bag over your head is extraordinarily unsuccessful without first taking sedatives, or using some other means to incapacitate yourself while you suffocate. Humans, even the suicidal ones, have an overwhelming desire to breathe, and will tear at the bag.

If he was sedated, then there would be no sign of a struggle, and so the police can not use that lack of struggle as evidence of suicide, any more than they can use it to rule out homicide.

But they will likely not do a tox screen. They've already decided.

Adhesive tape (which is suspicious as it takes time to do before the sedatives take effect) is potentially a very good source of evidence, including prints and transfer DNA.

The police say he committed suicide because he ran out of money. Maybe the wife committed murder, because he ran out of money.

The RTP once again show how untrained they are. Or how biased they are. Or how lazy they are.

Take your pick.

• Like 1

I don't see why money freely given to a temple however it came by would be an issue. A donation is a donation

They were husband and wife. It was "their" money. You cannot seriously suggest that no Thai wife has ever made merit with baht handed to her by her husband.

My wife would never make merit with cash I gave her-it does not count and does not work that way