My dog just ran in my neighbors yard..

LarryBird

I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. I have a medium sized lab that we 'always' keep behind our gate that managed to sneak out while I was going out with the kids. The dog is friendly, never aggressive. Before I can catch up to him, he runs in the neighbors yard. The guy starts yelling as if he was being invaded by a gang swinging machetes at him. I can understand him not wanting the dog there, but what harm is possibly going to come of a dog running through your yard (garden, Brits) for approximately 4 seconds?

The other one that gets me is being ready to have WWIII because the leaves from your neighbors tree is falling in your yard. I actually consider myself to be uptight and NOT laid back, but these trivial matters would NEVER bother me.. An aggressive dog(s) walking the street unrestrained? Yes. A karaoke bar keeping me up at night.. Yes, etc etc.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are your neighbors' Thai or farang?

Sorry, should have mentioned.. Kon Thai.

Probably Kohn Thai leun mai, or Bangkok Thais.

The Chiang Mai people - Kohn Muang - that we've lived next to over the years have been, with very few exceptions, good and friendly neighbors.

Avoiding contact as much as possible is probably the best way to deal with the situation you are in.

Good luck.

You allowed dog to potentially attack your neighbors on there property and find them being upset to be abnormal? In the US even a human would have been shot. That they only yelled seems to be rather restrained to me.biggrin.pngwai2.gif

dog_attack.jpg

Most Thai will see a large dog as a threat - often for very good reason. Rabies series is not a pleasant experience.

Yes of course you are right lopburi3 and I suppose everyone should treat a large loose dog as a potential threat.

They wouldn't know that Larry Bird's dog is really a pussy cat.

"Did your neighbor not say" Do you know who I am ,I know people at Immigration and will

get you thrown out of the country" I have had a couple of times with altercations with Thais

in the past,and both times they were in the wrong,water of a ducks back.

regards Worgeordie

The thing is, dog owners never see their own dogs as a problem, as they are always the nicest dogs etc. The same goes for parents and their kids etc.

I agree, but the breed of the dog is at least an indication of its temperament, though. (Please don't cite the one lab out of 1,000,000 that you know that's aggressive.) If the dog was aggressive, I wouldn't have kept him as we have young children. I grew up around aggressive dogs, have some in the neighborhood, and I despise them. And I can remember as a kid, people holding back their doberman's or german shepherds that were foaming at the bit while they said 'oh, don't worry, he doesn't bite. The thing is, the neighbor was never threatened, nor did he feel threatened, he just didn't like the dog running in his yard, which is why he went after him with a flimsy broom. Had he been scared or something like that, I could understand. While he is an average size dog, he's fairly strong looking.

We have lived in the neighborhood for close to 9 years, and the dog escapes once or twice a year. Although, he has been making more of an effort recently. I am not sure what the point of me coming on here and misrepresenting the facts would be. It's hard to imagine someone owning dogs and the dogs not escaping from a leash, running out of the yard, at least occasionally.

The thing is, dog owners never see their own dogs as a problem, as they are always the nicest dogs etc. The same goes for parents and their kids etc.

I agree, but the breed of the dog is at least an indication of its temperament, though. (Please don't cite the one lab out of 1,000,000 that you know that's aggressive.) If the dog was aggressive, I wouldn't have kept him as we have young children. I grew up around aggressive dogs, have some in the neighborhood, and I despise them. And I can remember as a kid, people holding back their doberman's or german shepherds that were foaming at the bit while they said 'oh, don't worry, he doesn't bite. The thing is, the neighbor was never threatened, nor did he feel threatened, he just didn't like the dog running in his yard, which is why he went after him with a flimsy broom. Had he been scared or something like that, I could understand. While he is an average size dog, he's fairly strong looking.

We have lived in the neighborhood for close to 9 years, and the dog escapes once or twice a year. Although, he has been making more of an effort recently. I am not sure what the point of me coming on here and misrepresenting the facts would be. It's hard to imagine someone owning dogs and the dogs not escaping from a leash, running out of the yard, at least occasionally.

Imagining things is no use, either you train the dog or the dog will train you because, guaranteed....somebody's gonna get trained.

I haven't met a dog owner yet who didn't say, "He's really friendly, he never bites, he is only playing."

In addition, Thais are trained from an early age to scare animals with loud noises. You may be confusing the shouting of a Westerner which is connected with loss of temper with Thais shouting simply to scare an animal.

Edited by Briggsy

This will be unpopular, but too bad. I hate dogs. I loathe dogs. I can't stand them, big or small. I had a '70 Dodge Charger, freshly painted, and a neighbor's dog ran into my yard, friendly as all get out, and scratched the driver side door trying to climb in. I was FURIOUS, but was never compensated. "It's just a few scratches," the owner whined. It's your responsibility to keep your dog controlled. Perhaps this neighbor had an experience similar to mine. My bet is you won't let your dog do a repeat.

Edited by quandow

Oh, here's a good one for you. I have a Shihpoo (Poodle / Shih-Tzu mix, with poodle face/head) who is MAYBE 11 inches (28cm) at the shoulders. Loves everyone. Even if he did bite someone, it would have to be their fingers or maybe their ankle.

Anyway, a couple of years ago, one day the wife left the front gate open, so he decided to go out for a walk, alone. He come back after a few minutes, and then about 5 minutes later a slightly drunk, and really ticked off Thai man comes to our gate with a large butcher knife in his hand, and starts yelling and screaming. Me and wife go out to see what the problem is. He says he's going to kill my dog for chasing him and biting at him when he drove past on motorbike. My wife had to turn her head so he wouldn't see her laughing. The dog doesn't chase motorbikes, or bicycles, he runs from them!

This guy is having none of it, so my wife finally opens the gate and tells him to come on in and do it. He takes a step forward, then she changes her tone and snaps something at him for a moment or two. He stops dead in his tracks, looks at me, slowly puts the knife in his belt, gives her a wai, then walks away.

I'm confused, to say the least. I asked her what she said to him. She said she told him I was former "special commando" soldier, and I'd take that knife away from him, cut off his balls and shove them down his throat if he stepped passed the gate. Then told him nothing would happen to me, because the husband of her favorite cousin is high ranking BIB, and if he did anything to me, the BIB would be all over his house and his ass would be in prison before he could even figure out what was going on.

I've seen this guy twice since then, and he always smiles, waves and gives me a wai. I told my wife to cut down on the "special commando) bit. lol

Edited by Just1Voice

Most Thai will see a large dog as a threat - often for very good reason. Rabies series is not a pleasant experience.

Yes of course you are right lopburi3 and I suppose everyone should treat a large loose dog as a potential threat.

Living next door you would think they would know. Everyone around here knows our dogs and there different personalities.

This will be unpopular, but too bad. I hate dogs. I loathe dogs. I can't stand them, big or small. I had a '70 Dodge Charger, freshly painted, and a neighbor's dog ran into my yard, friendly as all get out, and scratched the driver side door trying to climb in. I was FURIOUS, but was never compensated. "It's just a few scratches," the owner whined. It's your responsibility to keep your dog controlled. Perhaps this neighbor had an experience similar to mine. My bet is you won't let your dog do a repeat.

You don't like dogs? Get bitten when you were a kid, or something? Oh, well. Your "hell" will be to spend an eternity in a dog kennel with millions of dogs. lol

cheesy.gif

I am surprised the owner even aknowledged it was his dog that did it. Most dog owners will never believe their dog could do such a thing, so would simply tell you it must have been another dog - and then you are left with the bill.

Are your neighbors' Thai or farang?

Yes, come on. Unless the other posters know if one of the parties is Thai or not, how can they decide who to excuse and who to bash?

Had the dog owner been Thai and the person shouting at the dog been a farang, the thread would have been all about irresponsible pet owners, no consideration for others, putting children at risk, taking dumps on the lawn, etc.

But since we know the dog owner was farang and the neighbor is Thai, it's a completely different situation.

Living next door you would think they would know. Everyone around here knows our dogs and there different personalities.

Good for 'everyone around here'.

Thai's in general make a mountain out of a mole hill in such situations.

Too bad about your car! You must feel very hurt, do you want the dog put down for that? A car is just a material object a dog is a living feeling being!