Soldiers arrest Pattaya woman for selling alcohol to foreign tourists

webfact

Martial Law Invoked to Bust Pattaya Alcohol Seller
By Khaosod English

14255313211425531470l.jpg
Papitcha Khanyot, 49, was arrested by soldiers for selling alcohol on a Buddhist holiday. 4 March 2015.

CHONBURI — A local military unit in Pattaya invoked martial law to detain a woman who defied the nationwide ban on alcohol sales during a Buddhist holiday yesterday.

Police say they were alerted at around 11 pm on 4 March, a Buddhist holiday known as Makha Bucha Day, that a restaurant in a hotel called Everyone's Inn in Banglamung district was selling alcohol to foreign tourists in defiance of the alcohol ban.

Police officers arrived at the restaurant and ordered the owner, Papitcha Khanyot, 49, to cease the sales. However, Papitcha ignored the order and continued to sell alcoholic beverages to customers. She also loudly berated the police for attempting to "extort" her.

After an hour of argument, police contacted the 14th Military Circle to dispatch soldiers to arrest Papitcha.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1425531321

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-03-05

I'd say the Police come out of this worse off than Anyone, Bird sounds like a right Handful

"officers arrived at the restaurant and ordered the owner, Papitcha Khanyot, 49, to cease the sales. However, Papitcha ignored the order and continued to sell alcoholic beverages to customers. She also loudly berated the police for attempting to "extort" her."

"I don't like the police. I've always seen news about them extorting people,"

One hotel in all of Pattaya?? I have serious problems to believe that..
We went to do merit as well as take a trip to Sai Yok in Khachanaburi, however on the way home we passed Khaosan with the taxi at about 23:00. People seemed quite drunk to me, and it hardly looked like all bars/guesthouses/hotels where following orders. Then again I didn't jump out of the cab to check what everyone was drinking so can't say..

(EDIT - seems quite obvious it's all about the "Papitcha ignored the order and continued to sell alcoholic beverages to customers. She also loudly berated the police for attempting to "extort" her." part...)

Edited by banglassie

Piss off the police in any country and deal with the consequences.....

Yes not a good move but how many call for backup from the army ?

True, in the US they don;t have to; they are pretty tooled up themselvesbiggrin.png

Piss off the police in any country and deal with the consequences.....

Yes not a good move but how many call for backup from the army ?

Many, many law-enforcing exercises in these days of martial law are joint operations by the army and police. Not at all unusual unless you are maniacally intent on castigating the Thai police at every possible opportunity.

Edited by Sviss Geez

I'm sure the BIB were just being perfect gentlemen and did not want to manhandle a lady so let those brutes from the military do it.

If the lady had been injured it would be all down to the military and if she had injured anyone it would have been some deserving squaddie. :rolleyes:

The big outdoor beer garden at the Russian market in Pratumnak soi6 Pattaya was in full swing last night, loud music, tables full of draught beer fonts, and large Changs, wine and beer being drunk everywhere in full view of everyone. Brought to big bottles myself as the FamilyMart opposite was not selling

But the Russians must not be upset must they ?

Perhaps they felt the need to call in the Army after our Thai karaoke bar owner friend got physical with one of their volunteers in the early hours of the holiday ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/805583-pattaya-bar-owner-defies-closing-order-assaults-cops/

Normally I'm not thrilled about people assaulting Police who are simply doing their job, but the standard here is so abysmally low (and the selective nature of their enforcement policy so suspect) that I'm inclined to applaud these Thais for standing up for themselves, however some might view their willingness to sell alcohol on a Buddhist holiday. I didnt go to Buakhow yesterday, but I'd be surprised if the usual suspects didnt open.

Put her in jail and throw away the key. How dares she selling alcohol to non-Buddhist tourists.

Sorry, but if you visit a country, you adhere to the countries laws; it has nothing to do with the visitors religion. Try drinking in some of the Middle East countries; they won't ask you what religion you are.

Sure, but the thing is, Thailand is not a Middle East country, it's not an Islamic State either (as far as I know) and actually it claims to be a multiconfessional country. In effect, however, the Army and the Police are regularly called upon to enforce rules made up by one, and only one religion.

I do abide by the rules of the countries I visit (or in this case, live) but I also have a right (or do I?) to say that I find it quite unpalatable when religious beliefs, however respectable, are forced down the throat of people who do not share them.

• Like 2

I applaud her. While Thailand of course is a predominately Buddhist culture, it is not an ENTIRELY Buddhist culture. And yet this law is crammed down everyone's throat. One time I asked a man doing some work for me if he was Muslim and he said "No, I'm Thai". Evidently no one else counts.

• Like 1

Well the police didn't do much to stop the 100 or so people drinking at the bars in cha am market yesterday evening and thats just outside the local police station...

that's good !

Oh yes, sorry I wasn't complaining

Put her in jail and throw away the key. How dares she selling alcohol to non-Buddhist tourists.

Sorry, but if you visit a country, you adhere to the countries laws; it has nothing to do with the visitors religion. Try drinking in some of the Middle East countries; they won't ask you what religion you are.

Er she is Thai and not visiting the country. It's her country. It's her choice what she does on her holiday. Why should men in boots and thugs with guns intimidate her and bully her? It just the punishment of the poor.