Soldiers arrest Pattaya woman for selling alcohol to foreign tourists

webfact

The nanny state at the point of a bayonet. An army is usually for the defence of a country against outside invaders. But in Thailand?....Not Amazing Thailand. Shameful Thailand.

Good point. I used to think that before I lived here. It seems the army is an internal security organisation for the protection and enhancement of life of the population. (I've actually read something in official Thai blurb indicating this, but can't remember where - sorry).

Anyway, it still begs the question raised by other posters. 'Why do you need martial law to arrest a woman flogging booze?"

My only surprise is that the army didn't 'rush' to the scene - presumably in armoured vehicles. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thay have nothing else to do that is much more important then looking after selling alcohol on this buddah day!!!!!!!!!!

X-stories just about that but no one cares about the crime and traffic problems in this town.....well just hundreds of police men and military guys run after some bottles of alcohol!

Put her in jail and throw away the key. How dares she selling alcohol to non-Buddhist tourists.

Sorry, but if you visit a country, you adhere to the countries laws; it has nothing to do with the visitors religion. Try drinking in some of the Middle East countries; they won't ask you what religion you are.

Sure, but the thing is, Thailand is not a Middle East country, it's not an Islamic State either (as far as I know) and actually it claims to be a multiconfessional country. In effect, however, the Army and the Police are regularly called upon to enforce rules made up by one, and only one religion.

I do abide by the rules of the countries I visit (or in this case, live) but I also have a right (or do I?) to say that I find it quite unpalatable when religious beliefs, however respectable, are forced down the throat of people who do not share them.

No religious beliefs were being shoved down anyone's throats.

You can believe what you want. You can drink. Etc etc... You cannot sell booze. (with a very few specific exclusions)

Restrictions on the sale of alcohol on specified " religious" days are common in many countries.

In Australia, in most states there is a ban on the sale of alcohol on GOOD FRIDAY ....................from midnight on the Thursday until midnight on GOOD FRIDAY. The same on XMAS day in many states.

This ban applies REGARDLESS of the venue's NORMAL licensed trading hours. VERY SEVERE penalties are imposed on those that want to transgress.

I do not see this Thai restriction as any different. It is JUST a few days in the year. Stock up the day before and have a party at home.

What should be done is abolish this Thai Buddhist holiday stuff and impose a separation of religion and State, then impose a tax on

the Buddhist moss, temple, shrine, what ever you call it. Could generate millions of baht a day!! Leave home ownership for taxes alone!!!!!

I was under the impression that Restaurants/Hotels and the airport were excluded from this.

restaurants are not excluded

This place is actually on Soi Welcome in Jomtien. It's a sizable guest house/hotel/restaurant with about a dozen or more rooms. Caters predominantly for the Russian tourists.

I know the owner and although I haven't talked to him today (don't want to call him for fear of pissing him off too much) I dare say I'll get the truth (or at least his version of it) over the next few days.

I'm actually wondering if he'll bother to bail her out. whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

There are a couple of odd points in this story that no-one has so far commented on.

Hotels, along with the airports, are supposed to be exempt and the article clearly says, "a restaurant in a hotel called Everyone's Inn in Banglamung district was selling alcohol to foreign tourists". So why weren't they exempt?

The report says that the raid took place at 11.00 pm. Maha Bucha day finished at midnight, so was it really necessary to call out the army to uphold the ban for 1 more hour? Had the lady been a bit more cunning she could just have said, "Ok", waited for the police to go, and then served a bit more slowly for an hour or so.

Rightly or wrongly, it has been the custom in the past for the bars to start selling alcohol again from about 11.00 pm, although the go-go bars tend not to bother and give the girls a night off.

All in all, this story doesn't make much sense at face value.

hanno, on 05 Mar 2015 - 12:22, said:
Anthony5, on 05 Mar 2015 - 12:14, said:

Put her in jail and throw away the key. How dares she selling alcohol to non-Buddhist tourists.

Sorry, but if you visit a country, you adhere to the countries laws; it has nothing to do with the visitors religion. Try drinking in some of the Middle East countries; they won't ask you what religion you are.

Very true but I think you will find those "dry" countries do not encourage tourists.

The few that have a tourist industry realize that tourists like a drink with their meal and allow that.

blink.png

There are a couple of odd points in this story that no-one has so far commented on.

Hotels, along with the airports, are supposed to be exempt and the article clearly says, "a restaurant in a hotel called Everyone's Inn in Banglamung district was selling alcohol to foreign tourists". So why weren't they exempt?

The report says that the raid took place at 11.00 pm. Maha Bucha day finished at midnight, so was it really necessary to call out the army to uphold the ban for 1 more hour? Had the lady been a bit more cunning she could just have said, "Ok", waited for the police to go, and then served a bit more slowly for an hour or so.

Rightly or wrongly, it has been the custom in the past for the bars to start selling alcohol again from about 11.00 pm, although the go-go bars tend not to bother and give the girls a night off.

The exemption to alcohol bans is limited to major tourist hotels. Pop into the Marriott etc and you can drink. AFAIK nothing short of real 5 star places are exempt.

If it wasn't for the news I wouldn't know of any alcohol ban. Several local bars here were openly selling alcohol as were the local shops. My missus even brought me a bottle of whisky from the Big C and no one commented.

If it wasn't for the news I wouldn't know of any alcohol ban. Several local bars here were openly selling alcohol as were the local shops. My missus even brought me a bottle of whisky from the Big C and no one commented.

Yesterday? Big C wasn't selling here. The signage looked as if it were from corporate Headquarters.

I had a couple of drinks at the officer's club last night, it was not an issue.

Yesterday? Big C wasn't selling here. The signage looked as if it were from corporate Headquarters.

I assume the officer's club is either army or police related, so that would mean double standards again, or do they count as serving at international customers only?

The exemption to alcohol bans is limited to major tourist hotels. Pop into the Marriott etc and you can drink. AFAIK nothing short of real 5 star places are exempt.

Sorry to nitpick, buy HEY! This is TV right? I've seen the Golden Beer Bar serving when the rest of Soi Nana was dark. You know the one - out front of the FIVE STAR Nana Hotel. biggrin.png

I assume the officer's club is either army or police related, so that would mean double standards again, or do they count as serving at international customers only?

Neither Army nor Police :)

Sorry to nitpick, buy HEY! This is TV right? I've seen the Golden Beer Bar serving when the rest of Soi Nana was dark. You know the one - out front of the FIVE STAR Nana Hotel. biggrin.png

Outside? You mean the place on the street? Even if the Nana was theoretically exempt that place wouldn't be.

If you are referring to the past, not particularly significant these days.

Neither Army nor Police smile.png

So could you elaborate what the officer's club is and why they were allowed to sell alcohol why others aren't?

So could you elaborate what the officer's club is and why they were allowed to sell alcohol why others aren't?

I didn't see any place out here which wasn't open last night. One of many reasons to not live in major cities or tourist ghettos.

I didn't see any place out here which wasn't open last night. One of many reasons to not live in major cities or tourist ghettos.

So indeed double standards.

So indeed double standards.

Nope, everyone out here was treated the same