Multiple entry visa and passport expirary

Has anyone had problems entering the country with less than 6 months on their passport but a multiple entry non-immigrant B visa and WP? I am thinking about going away in May and when I return I will only have around 5 months (or a bit less) left on my passport. It takes around 20 days to get a new passport and there is just not enough time, as I won't be able to get to Bangkok to renew until at least the end of April.

My next 90-day visa run is also not within the 6-month period.

If I don't go away I will do my border run in April, before the 6 months is up. But that also means no holiday in May :(

Your passport must be valid for the intended duration of stay, which will be for 90 days upon entry. Once the validity is under 90 days you can no longer use the passport to enter Thailand.

Note that many countries require 6 months, so take care to which country you do a border run and apply for a new passport soon to avoid problems.

Once you have a new passport you show the visa in the old passport and will be stamped in on the new passport.

I am planning on going back to my home country, so the 6 month validity is not an issue. What I am wondering about is when I come back into Thailand. Has anyone ever entered the country with a multiple entry non-immigrant visa and less than 6 months on their passport?

Thanks ubonjoe. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

And I have, but won't be there long enough and will have to pay quite a bit to get it back quickly. Plus, it doesn't expire until October so I want to hold off as long as I can.

I am planning on going back to my home country, so the 6 month validity is not an issue. What I am wondering about is when I come back into Thailand. Has anyone ever entered the country with a multiple entry non-immigrant visa and less than 6 months on their passport?

It is not so much entering the country as how you intend to travel.

China Airlines would not allow me to check in at Amsterdam with 5 months left on the passport.

And I have, but won't be there long enough and will have to pay quite a bit to get it back quickly. Plus, it doesn't expire until October so I want to hold off as long as I can.

If you're a Brit you'll have up to 9 unexpired months added to your new passport in any event. In other words, were you to renew any time between now and the expiry date, your new passport would be valid until October 2025 regardless.

And far better to renew back in the UK using HMPO's priority same-day service rather than mess around with a couple of trips to With-It Tower in Bangkok from whatever far-flung corner in LOS you live in, I would have thought.

Looks like I may have do do my visa bounce in April then and perhaps not go anywhere for holidays until after I get a new passport. Which means no holidays basically, as I won't get my passport back until, well, long after my holidays. Don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere or being on overstay.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If you're a Brit you'll have up to 9 unexpired months added to your new passport in any event. In other words, were you to renew any time between now and the expiry date, your new passport would be valid until October 2025 regardless.

And far better to renew back in the UK using HMPO's priority same-day service rather than mess around with a couple of trips to With-It Tower in Bangkok from whatever far-flung corner in LOS you live in, I would have thought.

Not always. I had about 7 years remaining on mine and just got the 10 on renewal. After waiting 10 weeks to get the new one i was reluctant to complain is case they asked to send it back.

Chances are I will be 6 foot under by the time the 10 years are up.