CRBR300R - two questions

I am contemplating moving up to a CBR300R from my current Wave 125i. I've ridden bigger bikes (Kawasaki Vulcan 900) back in the U.S. but don't want to go up to something that large for Thailand. I'm in my mid 60s and don't ride like I am in my early 20s any more. biggrin.png

So, the questions are:

Does anyone have any experience with a CBR300R here in Thailand and, if so, what are the pluses and minuses you have found? I live in Chiang Mai so that will give you some idea of the types of roads I may be riding on.

Second, if I do move up, what tires would you suggest as an improvement over the stock tires? When I got the Wave, I changed from the stock tires to some Michelin M62s front and rear along with some YSS shocks. I'd like to do a similar upgrade and while I do have a preference for tube tires I'm not totally against tubeless if there is an adequate justification such as better wet weather handling, etc.

Thanks all.

David

I've had a CBR300R for about 8 months now. I mostly ride in Bangkok.

Good: It's a great bike for in the city. Decent power, light, easy handling. It's small enough to lane split with ease. Fun to ride. ABS brakes. Great price.

Bad: On longer trips I find myself wanting a little more power at times. It's definitely adequate, even for mountains (I've taken it to Sangklaburi and back twice now); it seems happy cruising at around 120-130. So, I'd say ok power, but sometimes I want more smile.png

Ugly?: Some people seem to think it's not exciting looking (or similar comments). One thing I agree with them on: the stock turn signals are hideous. But, a quick tail tidy, get rid of the stock turn signals, throw on some rim tape, I personally think it looks pretty good.

As for tires, I'm still on the stock IRC tires. A lot of people on here say to change the tires first thing, but they haven't given me any problems. When it's time to change them I'll start looking at other options. A lot of people are recommending Pirelli or Michelin.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Good: It's a great bike for in the city. Decent power, light, easy handling. It's small enough to lane split with ease. Fun to ride. ABS brakes. Great price.

Bad: On longer trips I find myself wanting a little more power at times. It's definitely adequate, even for mountains (I've taken it to Sangklaburi and back twice now); it seems happy cruising at around 120-130. So, I'd say ok power, but sometimes I want more smile.png

Ugly?: Some people seem to think it's not exciting looking (or similar comments). One thing I agree with them on: the stock turn signals are hideous. But, a quick tail tidy, get rid of the stock turn signals, throw on some rim tape, I personally think it looks pretty good.

As for tires, I'm still on the stock IRC tires. A lot of people on here say to change the tires first thing, but they haven't given me any problems. When it's time to change them I'll start looking at other options. A lot of people are recommending Pirelli or Michelin.

Thanks Andrew.

Power in the mountains is helpful up here in the north and I'm comfortable cruising at 100 or so. I'm retired so I'm never in a rush.

As for the Ugly part, I no beauty queen either so maybe that part wouldn't be so bad for me. biggrin.png

David

I would agree with the post. I moved up from the CBR 150 to the CBR 300 on Jan 12, 2015. Modification, exhaust system.. slip on...made it loud, levers, smaller...hands started to cramp... Seat covers, the mesh type that buffer your butt from the heat of the day.

I'm an older rider as well, the power is fine.. as far as tires, I have the stock tires on, and will move up later..

I'm happy with it, but it odd that I don't have the time to ride and I'm sad to say, I'm loosing interest..

A good bike and price friendly.thumbsup.gif

@guzzi

I had looked at the CB300f. The only reason I was looking more at the CBR300R is the fairing and windscreen would be nice on the open rode to cut down on wind buffeting. But the CB300F still might work.

David

I agree on the IRC tires. They get hard very fast and then become more slippery and less grippy. Pretty much any brand of tire would be an improvement. I recently put a local brand of tires on my CBR250R after riding on those horrible IRC tires for about 3 years (I got a thread on here all about my tire change if you are interested). The new tires I got on there are very nice. Very soft and grippy and they have the same tread as the Pirelli tires. But Pirelli for this small sized bike are not expensive if you rather have the imported branded tires.

I think I should stay out of the "how much power do you need" question though. I have a 250, a 650, and now I'm thinking maybe I need a liter bike in my stable one day too. And I live in Bangkok and don't ride very far.

Edited by WingNut

Two important points on power. Note, I don't have the CBR300R, but the CBR250R. But I looked up the specs and both bikes are single cylinder and the 300 only has about 2-3HP more than the 250. So I assume performance will be nearly the same on both. What I can tell you is the power band where you've got some decent torque doesn't really kick in until you hit about 7,000 rpm. This means off the line that these bikes are relatively slow and at a stoplight for example you will probably find these small 125-150cc bikes, like the one that you have now, are much faster initially when the light turns green. The other thing I noticed is when you have a passenger on the back that the power drops tremendously. So if you are planning on riding with a passenger on the back much of the time then you might find the bike's performance is a lot less than you expected. I hope that helps.

Two important points on power. Note, I don't have the CBR300R, but the CBR250R. But I looked up the specs and both bikes are single cylinder and the 300 only has about 2-3HP more than the 250. So I assume performance will be nearly the same on both. What I can tell you is the power band where you've got some decent torque doesn't really kick in until you hit about 7,000 rpm. This means off the line that these bikes are relatively slow and at a stoplight for example you will probably find these small 125-150cc bikes, like the one that you have now, are much faster initially when the light turns green. The other thing I noticed is when you have a passenger on the back that the power drops tremendously. So if you are planning on riding with a passenger on the back much of the time then you might find the bike's performance is a lot less than you expected. I hope that helps.

@WingNut,

thanks, it does help. I don't do a lot of riding with a passenger so that isn't a problem. Nice to know about the other. I'll give one a good test ride before I commit.

David

+1 on the IRC tires. I've had a CB300F for about 6 weeks or so now, and last week with about 3,000 km on it had Rosso 2's put on, at a cost just under 8,000 baht (pricey).

The IRC's had been giving the random small slide occasionally, plus one big spin up for no apparent reason accelerating out of a driveway onto a main road- I mean, okay I was on the power, but 28 hp power, right? Nothing caused a crash but the spin up got pretty sideways......

The Rosso 2's have stuck like glue- I went to Khao Yai (per other thread) and scrubbed them in, chicken stripes all gone, right to the edge (not hard to do with these narrower tires- they are not the huge meats you'd have on a big bike), and they have never been less than perfect. The change in turning in characteristics took a few miles getting used to, but I would expect that, they drop in to a turn a lot easier due to the profile.

As for the 300- I would also agree with what's been said above. On the faster roads I wish for a bit more power, I can cruise at 125 turning about 7500 rpm, and it will go 150 given enough time, but what that means is that there are "throttle stompers" in cars, SUV's and pick ups that will catch you on the straights and I'm more accustomed to being the fastest thing out there if I want to be. If I don't have a spot to move over and let them by it is possible to wind up being tailgated, which I hate. If there is a turn of course they are way back, except for one Honda civic that could corner at speed. I'm finding that many drivers in Thailand are really uncomfortable with cornering g forces, maybe they know something I don't.

The other interesting question is the CBR vs CB- OP you are right that with the CBR you get the windscreen, and if I had it to do over I might very well go that way. Of course my reasons for not having done so originally still hold- CB a little more upright and easier around town, better rearward visibility in the mirrors (important!), and if you drop it less damage done. I think that I would still go CB over CBR because I spend more of my time around town than on the highway. And I think that I would still go 300 vs 500 or bigger, because it is plenty most of the time and the price difference is significant, plus the 300 is easier to handle day to day while still easily able to stay ahead of cars up to about 130/140 kph.

@WingNut,

thanks, it does help. I don't do a lot of riding with a passenger so that isn't a problem. Nice to know about the other. I'll give one a good test ride before I commit.

David

Ummmm, I'd have to respectfully disagree. On my 300 I get power (what power there is) right through the rpm range, in fact I usually shift at around 7-8 k and don't see much benefit in going above that except maybe in some special case.

And no way is a Wave or anything like that going to give me any trouble off the line at a red light. They and all the cars are little dots in my mirror by the time I am up to cruising speed (125 kph or so).

Edited by eastbay

If you want to transform your CBR250 from pedestrian to a revvy little mini-beast change the front sprocket from 14T to 13T. I still don't get near the red line in 6th gear, BUT it is now in the fun revvy range so much more of the time. I've had mine like this for 6 months and love it... See a discussion on the cbr250 forum: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/5571-anyone-using-13t-front.html

I can only think that it comes with a 14T front for commuters looking for very high mpg and relaxed revving (or so Honda can sell it quoting a very high mpg!)

No disrespect to anyone owning a 250 or 300. And I love my 250. It's a great bike. Built really well, in 3 years has had virtually no problems, has nice styling, and is solid and stable at all speeds with no vibration, etc. I use it mainly for trips to the grocery store in Bangkok at this point, but I have taken it interprovincial on highways a few times. What I can say is that it is underpowered for what one would expect out of an engine and frame this size. Acceleration is generally slow, and when you get up to speeds of 135-140 it's a really slow creep up from there to its top speed of about 160-163. When I'm on the highway it's really scary when cars come up behind you or start coming at you sideways from the next lane. It really doesn't have the power to get out of the way in a huff. I had forgot what power was really like and often used to kid myself that the bike had adequate power until I got a 650 as I hadn't ridden a bike with real power for a long time prior to getting the 650. I still love the 250 for what it is and I love it for city riding because it draws less attention, the engine doesn't get as hot, uses less gas, weaves easier in traffic, and doesn't have that squirrelly power like the 650 does where one might worry about the bike taking off with a hard spin of the throttle and leaving you behind. I don't think I would ever ride the 250 again in situations where cars are generally cruising anywhere above 80km. It's just a bit too dangerous for that kind of driving I think. As I said, I love it, but I no longer ignore the fact that it is a single cylinder bike with less than 30 horses. I had thought about selling the 250 when I got the 650, but I realized right away it's worth keeping as it serves a purpose still and I still enjoy it.

Also, I can't understand why Honda has anything to do with that IRC tire company at all that makes such garbage tires. IRC is a Japanese company though and one would think they would do something about how hard and slippery they are. I also like the idea of buying a locally made tire because they will be really soft and fresh when you get them and perhaps even made in the same month you buy them. The Dunlops on my 650 were already about 6 months old when I bought the bike new. That's because they are imported and could have been sitting in various warehouses while they were being shipped and eventually put onto the bike at the factory. This is the challenge you face with any imported tires. For a 250-300 bike I wouldn't bother spending 3x the money for Pirelli tires, and I rather have the locally made ones that will be fresher than an import and for 1/3 the price and with a Pirelli like tread. But that's just me. God bless whoever wants to spend US$250 for a set of tires for these bikes.

The smaller sprocket sounds like an interesting idea. Something I had heard about before. Never really thought about doing it myself, but maybe it's worth it if there is a noticeable difference. Thank you for the tip.

Edited by WingNut

If you want to transform your CBR250 from pedestrian to a revvy little mini-beast change the front sprocket from 14T to 13T. I still don't get near the red line in 6th gear, BUT it is now in the fun revvy range so much more of the time. I've had mine like this for 6 months and love it... See a discussion on the cbr250 forum: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/5571-anyone-using-13t-front.html

I can only think that it comes with a 14T front for commuters looking for very high mpg and relaxed revving (or so Honda can sell it quoting a very high mpg!)

Jim - I read the whole post. Thanks. I think I'll do it. Sounds like it makes a very worthwhile difference. Two questions: 1 - Did you buy an aluminum or steel front sprocket? Sounds like steel is the way to go. Added weight will be minute. 2 - Did you find one made locally and buy it here or did you order in from one of those online sellers talked about in the thread? They mention Riders Discount, Partzilla, and Surfside Moto all as low cost suppliers for that 13T front sprocket in the thread. But not sure if any of them will ship to Thailand.

Wingnut, I get what you say about the 250 compared to a bigger bike, but it is only a single cylinder 250, so we can't expect miracles – it is no performance bike… Nevertheless, with the 13T sprocket the bike is indeed transformed into something much better. It is more what I hoped the bike would be like. It almost “surges” through the gears (even with my 85kgs on board), and even reminds me somewhat of the fun to be had on my little NSR 150. It even sounds different - much more revvy, in a good way.
Another thing that I have noticed is much more willingness to pull at slow speeds in traffic, even when in a slightly too high gear - so actually more flexible, relaxing and LESS gear changing in some ways. True, on hard acceleration you get through the gears more quickly, but that feels good too.
It is hard to imagine going back to a 14T on the front. I can only think that Honda put the 14T on the front thinking of very light riders, for relaxed low rev commuting, or just to get better fuel economy figures. 13T seems much the better choicer if a sportier feel is the goal...
I bought my steel 13T sprocket from Saengchai Honda spares on Kaew Nawarat Road in Chiang Mai for a few hundred Baht. It's sold as standard fitment for the older Honda AX-1 250 (and is actually also available with various different numbers of teeth).

Thanks. I'm in Bangkok and there is a district of motorcycle part stores for small bike parts close to Chatuchak. So I can pop over there to see if they have one. So I tell them I'm needing at 13T front sprocket for a Honda AX-1 250 or is there also another bike it fits which they might know it by too?

have you tried the CB500X, it's got a comfortable riding position, the windscreen you want, and enough power to keep you happy for a while.

The other day at the Honda Big wind I met an Italian gentlemen, he's in his late 60s I believe. he rode from Phuket on his CB500X all the way to Bangkok.

he said he loved the bike.

The CB500X got much better tires than the IRC cheap crap on the cb300 and 250.

And you can find them on the second hand market not much more expensive than a brand new CBR300R.

the cb300 are way underpowered to leave the city...

Edited by brfsa2

I'm finding that many drivers in Thailand are really uncomfortable with cornering g forces, maybe they know something I don't.

because in Thailand, anything can come out at you any time on the road and specially in corners.. Thai drivers do it and they know others will do.

Lot's of accidents and deaths are from cars or bikes doing u-turns..

The other day, a guy died on his CBR650F in the south, a honda wave did an illegal u-turn on the big road. he crashed and died.

As for the 300- I would also agree with what's been said above. On the faster roads I wish for a bit more power, I can cruise at 125 turning about 7500 rpm, and it will go 150 given enough time,

Cruising at 7500 RPM on those bikes is a real pain. how can you do it for hours.

I cruise on my CB500 at max 5500 RPM, anything above that is so uncomfortable... and leave some power left for emergency.

at 7500 you are nearly maxing out your power,

that's why you need more power if you want touring.

The CB500 or the Ninja/Z-300 is the minimum I would recommend for touring.

have you tried the CB500X, it's got a comfortable riding position, the windscreen you want, and enough power to keep you happy for a while.

The other day at the Honda Big wind I met an Italian gentlemen, he's in his late 60s I believe. he rode from Phuket on his CB500X all the way to Bangkok.

he said he loved the bike.

The CB500X got much better tires than the IRC cheap crap on the cb300 and 250.

And you can find them on the second hand market not much more expensive than a brand new CBR300R.

the cb300 are way underpowered to leave the city...

I don't want to speak for others, but PapaAl did Laos, mountains and all on a bike half the size of a CB300 and he didn't seem to be dawdling on his way back.

Since were are talking about a duel purpose machine, for town and country, what is the 500 like in town/city traffic?

Remember too the CB300 is almost half the price of the 500, maybe the reason for the shitty tyres along with the lower expected speed.

Edited by AllanB

i much prefer the upright riding position of my CB300F - i test rode a CBR300R, but the "Barry Sheene" riding position was a complete non-starter for me....

I had a sit on a Kawa EN6R today, feet up on the pegs, result... oops, belly on the tank, I can't ride around like that in the "prone" position, neck craned and nuts squashed. I do get it for you younger guys who want to get down the road, although not necessarily on Thai roads, but that doesn't seem to me to be a "touring bike". But then I don't have a svelte body and fold away legs, I need to sit up properly and then get my head blown off at anything like those speeds.

Way to go!

Wingnut, I get what you say about the 250 compared to a bigger bike, but it is only a single cylinder 250, so we can't expect miracles – it is no performance bike… Nevertheless, with the 13T sprocket the bike is indeed transformed into something much better. It is more what I hoped the bike would be like. It almost “surges” through the gears (even with my 85kgs on board), and even reminds me somewhat of the fun to be had on my little NSR 150. It even sounds different - much more revvy, in a good way.

Another thing that I have noticed is much more willingness to pull at slow speeds in traffic, even when in a slightly too high gear - so actually more flexible, relaxing and LESS gear changing in some ways. True, on hard acceleration you get through the gears more quickly, but that feels good too.

It is hard to imagine going back to a 14T on the front. I can only think that Honda put the 14T on the front thinking of very light riders, for relaxed low rev commuting, or just to get better fuel economy figures. 13T seems much the better choicer if a sportier feel is the goal...

I bought my steel 13T sprocket from Saengchai Honda spares on Kaew Nawarat Road in Chiang Mai for a few hundred Baht. It's sold as standard fitment for the older Honda AX-1 250 (and is actually also available with various different numbers of teeth).

I went looking for a Honda AX-1 250cc front sprocket in Bangkok. Not an easy find I was told. Any parts for imported bikes over 200cc that are over 10 years old will be a difficult find. Thai Honda dealers wont carry parts like this either because they are not bikes that were made in Thailand. The guy at the motorcycle parts shop I went to by Chatuchak I went to told me to search around in the shops in the auto parts district around MBK. But it sounds like it could be a wild goose chase trying to track one down. I can get it on eBay here for $27: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-Sprockets-Front-Sprocket-13T-Honda-XR250R-96-04-/231249125429?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35d785a035

But I am wondering if that shop in Chiang Mai might take an order over the phone with a bank transfer and then post it down to me in Bangkok to make life simpler?

Edited by WingNut

Actually, I just phoned Sang Chai at 104/4 Nawarat road at 053-306-225 and the woman said they don't have any sprockets in stock for those old bikes and that they can't order them anymore either because the bike has been out of production for a long time. Interesting that you were able to get one there before.

If you dont like the hard stock tyres you can buy a set of Michelin Pilot street for 3300 bht a set , so no big deal..

Yes, agreed, you don't have to buy the locally made tires I got for 2,500 a set, nor do you have to splash out spending nearly 8,000 for Pirellis. There is a good quality midpoint option too like these Michelin tires. With any imported tires your buying though I would suggest not buying any tires that are more than 3 months old. You can check the manufacture date on the tires before you buy them. There are many web sites which show you how to check the manufacture date on tires for each of the brands. Edited by WingNut