" Jump to content

Moving to Pattaya / Jomtien or Hua Hin?

dagling

I can not quite decide where to move, I hear a lot of positive and negative about both places.
Want to buy a condo, when we already have houses here in Isaan which we will visit a few times a year due to her family and our mutual friends up here.
Where do you get the most for your money when buying condo, and how is the cost of living between Pattaya / Hua Hin?
I am 48 years old, married with thai seven years. Like visiting a restuanrant / bar one to two times per week for some beers and food.
Beginning to get enough of Isaan and heat up here, 42 degrees here today and zero wind;-(
Do not want to move further south than Hua Hin. Feeling perhaps that Pattaya has more to offer in terms of activities, and is closer to the airport and Bangkok and other places I like, for example Kho Samet and Kho Chang.
Someone who has experience of having lived both places, that will give me some advice?
Would love to hear about why you chose your current residence.

I spent time in Hua Hin a few years ago and have spent time in Pattaya also. My thoughts on Hua HIn is it is more expensive all around, it is quieter, it has fewer activities, it is hotter and drier. Pattaya itself if overcrowded, deforested in the central area and has traffic problems. However, the flip side is plenty of amenities and easier access to the airport but about equal access to Bangkok.

Personally I think you can have the best of both worlds if you go sowewhere like Bang Saray only 20 km or so south of Pattaya. I also think you can make a good investment buying there. I would be careful buying in HH or Pattaya right now and you would be wiser waiting for the coming crash in real estate. Also consider a home on the other side of Sukhumvit in Pattaya.

Why not rent Pattaya has some great deals you can rent a house with pool for around 40k on the other side of Sukhumvit or even Jomtien.

Edited by losworld
  • Like 1

I recently spent some time in Prachuap kiriknan,a little way south of Hua hin,it was great,a handfull of expats,and tourists,not too many some nice bars and resturants,very good seafood,the town itself pretty quite,also i checked the temp there yesterday 31c,here in Petchabun province it was 37 where i am,heading further up in the next months.

Hi you are correct on Isan I live in Khon Kaen and the heat is just unbearable, now the end of winter and 40c no wind no rain. Had enough, we are moving to Spain. I would suggest Pattaya over on what they call The Dark Side, other side of Sukumvite nice property's cheap and quite a few falangs with plenty of little bars and eaterys. Easy to get into main Pattaya.

BangSara is a lovely place great long beach with some fab seafood places to eat and so cheap and fresh, the main fishing boat port is there, there is a real nice condo block going up and just over 1m for appartments.

I lived in Pattaya 4 yrs before came to KHon KAEN to live with my wife.

Best of luck.

1 mil condo Bang Saray is 24sqm Thai name.
  • Like 1

Bang Saray is a pretty cool, small town. Foreigners ride bikes around, nice beach and not too far from Pattaya. Though it is quite crowded on weekends and a zoo on major holidays.

But definitely worth a peek. If you do visit there, stop by the Bang Saray Club. Right on the water and a nice place to have a drink and watch the sunset. Not easy to find, but worth the effort.

You might also want to check out Bang Chang. Not sure if it's what you want, but worth checking out. Very close to Samet and Chang if that is of interest. And some interesting options for ocean front condos.

• Like 1

Why not rent a place in Pats first for a few months and then in HH/Chaam after that. Then you can compare the 2 places for yourself. As Craig said don't buy now, property prices are still going down and should continue to do so for the next few years. I live in HH and enjoy the quiet life.

• Like 2

Guess a lot depends on what you like to do as far as activities

You can get ok food in both area, but Pattaya has more restaurants to choose from

Personally I would take HH over Pattaya

Just fewer people, more open spaces and beaches are better

Pattaya too crowded with tourists and too much developement for my liking

• Like 1

Baan Tatawan on the dark side in Pattaya. Developer is just starting 3 BR town houses for just under 2 million. I live in the village also but am buying one to put my recently deceased wife's parents in. One bedroom on the ground floor and will be wheel chair accessible. Take a look.

Try to stay away from the tourist areas, much cheaper to live. Look at D&D property and have a map handy so you can compare prices.

I am less than an hour away from Pattaya to the north Food, rent, utilities much cheaper and only 9 km from Bang Saen Beach.

Rent for awhile and explore, remember that there maybe a condo market crash coming.

• Like 1

Why not rent a place in Pats first for a few months and then in HH/Chaam after that. Then you can compare the 2 places for yourself. As Craig said don't buy now, property prices are still going down and should continue to do so for the next few years. I live in HH and enjoy the quiet life.

I agree with this idea, nothing like "test ridding" first, then buy if it lives up to your expectations

Probably better to do this in sumertime so that you get a "feel" of the heat too

Hi you are correct on Isan I live in Khon Kaen and the heat is just unbearable, now the end of winter and 40c no wind no rain. Had enough, we are moving to Spain. I would suggest Pattaya over on what they call The Dark Side, other side of Sukumvite nice property's cheap and quite a few falangs with plenty of little bars and eaterys. Easy to get into main Pattaya.

BangSara is a lovely place great long beach with some fab seafood places to eat and so cheap and fresh, the main fishing boat port is there, there is a real nice condo block going up and just over 1m for appartments.

Best of luck.

I had a girlfriend in KK so I went up there quite often for a couple years. It is very hot outside of the cool season where it can actually get chilly at times. Very little wind generally so you just sweat into a big pool of water lol. I don't really see the attraction but I think maybe it made more sense when it was cheaper. In my opinion condo rentals are higher than in Pattaya for what you get. But no mountains, no ocean, no river and only a small lake.

I would not want to live in Pattaya, I think it's a lavatory, I only realised how lovely Thailand was once I left there, I have stayed there many times, also Bangkok and I dislike both intensely, someone mentioned Bang Saray, Bang Saray is much more agreeable, it is not full of tourists (yet) Pattaya is wall, to wall Russians. I have been using the cheap busses and visiting many different areas to get a feel for Thailand and I would advise you to do the same, I was recently going to Chiang Mai but decided to sleep one night half way as the journey was so long, I stopped in Mueang Phetchabun, and never left, we all have different idea's of what is best, or good and you really need to see for yourself, when I stopped in Phetchabun, I got up, checked out of my hotel, went to a little coffee shop on the river, I was sitting there watching the locals slowly go about their business when one of the few English speakers said "where you go?" and we started a very limited conversation, it ended up with her phoning her husband and me going to lunch with the family, needless to say I did not make the bus that day, I was shown a beautiful hotel for 800 Baht per night, the next day unfolded like the first but by now I had acquired a few friends and got another lunch invite, I stayed in Phetchabun for three weeks before I left as I had previously booked to go to Myanmar (Burma) after returning I stayed in Bang Lamung, Bang Saray, Pattaya, but I kept thinking about Phetchabun, the only answer was to go back, I had another month there before flying back to the UK, my point is that everyone's idea of ideal is different so jump on a few busses and you may find yours.

• Like 2

I would not want to live in Pattaya, I think it's a lavatory, I only realised how lovely Thailand was once I left there, I have stayed there many times, also Bangkok and I dislike both intensely, someone mentioned Bang Saray, Bang Saray is much more agreeable, it is not full of tourists (yet) Pattaya is wall, to wall Russians. I have been using the cheap busses and visiting many different areas to get a feel for Thailand and I would advise you to do the same, I was recently going to Chiang Mai but decided to sleep one night half way as the journey was so long, I stopped in Mueang Phetchabun, and never left, we all have different idea's of what is best, or good and you really need to see for yourself, when I stopped in Phetchabun, I got up, checked out of my hotel, went to a little coffee shop on the river, I was sitting there watching the locals slowly go about their business when one of the few English speakers said "where you go?" and we started a very limited conversation, it ended up with her phoning her husband and me going to lunch with the family, needless to say I did not make the bus that day, I was shown a beautiful hotel for 800 Baht per night, the next day unfolded like the first but by now I had acquired a few friends and got another lunch invite, I stayed in Phetchabun for three weeks before I left as I had previously booked to go to Myanmar (Burma) after returning I stayed in Bang Lamung, Bang Saray, Pattaya, but I kept thinking about Phetchabun, the only answer was to go back, I had another month there before flying back to the UK, my point is that everyone's idea of ideal is different so jump on a few busses and you may find yours.

Thats how everybody did it before the internet.

Stumbling around and coming across some fantastic places. Thats how I found my dream spot, the Thermae back in 1990. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I've got a friend who moved up to Phetchabun. He's bored out of him mind and heads back to Pattaya whenever he can. But yes, it's very quiet there.

As was mentioned above, there's a huge difference between central Pattaya and the outlying areas. Move to Huay Yai and you'll see few farangs and experience pretty close to what you say you do in Phetchabun.

Many who live in the outer areas rarely go downtown. It's a choice.

If you come to Pattaya live on the dark side. As to condo prices dropping like a rock,as someone said please pm the wife with details of them as she is an agent and would love to list them,and perhaps we could buy a few at these rock bottom prices,I take it they are in prime positions

Thats how everybody did it before the internet.

Stumbling around and coming across some fantastic places. Thats how I found my dream spot, the Thermae back in 1990. cheesy.gif

Perhaps we met there on occasion,I loved the place in those days,and the older women that served there ,the one with the limp etc,lol

Best of luck.

1 mil condo Bang Saray is 24sqm Thai name.

That's a shoe box, not a condo! Why anyone would want to live in, what is basically a small hotel room, is really beyond me!

If you come to Pattaya live on the dark side. As to condo prices dropping like a rock,as someone said please pm the wife with details of them as she is an agent and would love to list them,and perhaps we could buy a few at these rock bottom prices,I take it they are in prime positions

I saw one on Tuesday in Pratumnak. Was listed at 18MM for the past 3-4 years, now at 12MM. Stunning 180 degree view of the ocean with Koh Larn in the background, top floor penthouse, huge balcony, large jacuzzi, fitted out with top of the line fixtures. Nothing can be built in front to block the view. If I had the money, I'd buy it! LOL