bringing back thai gold to uk , avoid duty tax

got stopped last time with wifes 3 baht necklace , i was slapped with a 790 euro fine and charges in dublin airport. how do i avoid this in future , take necklace out of box and around my neck and hide reciept but surely being customs they will ask me to prove proof of purchase and confiscate it anyway. i could post it but dont trust postage system especially with a 3-5 baht gold necklace.

How can they confiscate A neckleace that you've had for 10 years.I've never heard of customs confiscating jewelry that you wear.I mean unless your wearing Lets say 10 neckleaces.My point how would they know how long that you've owned it?

• Like 2

How can they confiscate A neckleace that you've had for 10 years.I've never heard of customs confiscating jewelry that you wear.I mean unless your wearing Lets say 10 neckleaces.My point how would they know how long that you've owned it?

For any item over a certain value (differs as per country) customs have the right to ask for proof of purchase. If not provided or purchased out of the country you will have to pay.

Yermanee wai.gif

For any item over a certain value (differs as per country) customs have the right to ask for proof of purchase. If not provided or purchased out of the country you will have to pay.

Yermanee wai.gif

My wife has always put the gold in her bra or purse. I do not think a customs official is going there. At least I hope not. We go back and forth at least once a year and she always takes some gold with her. No problem in 40 years...

My wife has always put the gold in her bra or purse. I do not think a customs official is going there. At least I hope not. We go back and forth at least once a year and she always takes some gold with her. No problem in 40 years...

Well now they will check YOU JUST TOLD THEM

• Like 2

In Amsterdam Shipol Airport we had to pay customs for a gold necklace.
My girl had bought the necklace from a Thai girlfriend in Europe privately, so that we were unable to provide a receipt.
Unfortunately, she had taken the necklace to Thailand, on the way back then, they checked us and we must pay.
Lesson learned.

Keep the customs invoice for the next travels.
Make a foto from your girl with her necklace in front of a known building, so that you can prove that she had the necklace before.
In most cases, jewelry will be given away as a gift, who keeps the receipt for years?

If you have already declared it once or paid a fine and wish to travel again and return without being charged customs duty you can register it with customs before leaving your home country. You'll be given a card listing your gold chain, Rolex or whatever.

We go back and forth to the states and to date never an issue. I do not declare anything that will also leave with me or has been and out of the US. I am a citizen of US but not a resident. We are body scanned every time we entered and the gold shows up as huge green patterns on the inspectors screen. Never questioned. The gold is not bright and shiny so it does not resemble new. There are tricks for this but will not divulge because some people clean the jewelry which keep it shiny even if older and well worn. We always have exit flights so we are not staying. I think most people on TV are the same as us. Few would actually be smugglers. In the end most do plan to move back to Thailand for retiring so the goods will be removed from the economy.

I feel most people on here should not have to pay the tax as it was intended, meaning you brought it to the home country because it was cheaper to buy outside rather purchasing in host country. This does not apply. There fore taking it in the country without declaring is not an intent to break the law as the law was originally intended. The courts certainly may not side with us but my conscious is clear and I will make sure I tell this to judge as I pay my fine, LOL

• Like 1

We go back and forth to the states and to date never an issue. I do not declare anything that will also leave with me or has been and out of the US. I am a citizen of US but not a resident. We are body scanned every time we entered and the gold shows up as huge green patterns on the inspectors screen. Never questioned. The gold is not bright and shiny so it does not resemble new. There are tricks for this but will not divulge because some people clean the jewelry which keep it shiny even if older and well worn.

Thai gold is not bright and shiny so whatever it is you are doing with your crap western gold to make it dull is of zero relevance to the question asked by the OP.

Declare it, and pay your duty or taxes.

You that complain about 'institutional theft' are probably exactly the same that yell out for institutional protection of your private property (that you probably robbed)

• Like 1

What's the problem with wearing more than 10 necklaces? tongue.png

post-91253-0-09042900-1425726113_thumb.j

I'd take a few pictures of my wife wearing the necklace as we leave the UK, or perhaps in front of a few well known landmarks of the UK, then show the pictures as proof the necklace has already been in the country and taken out.

Many years ago my Dad bought a Kugerrand in Jersey - got it put in a mount and gold chain - posted the box back to UK and wore it to avoid import tax - as Jersey tax exempt then - not sure if still is - my Dad to skinny to wear big coin haha

I assume you are declaring the jewelry. Give them a price doesnt have to be the price you paid. The Immigration if they feel it is the wrong price say you tell them one pound for what is obviously a lot more, then they have the right to call in a jeweler who will give them a price.

A case like this a number of years ago involved a woman who came back from India with her husband. She was asked by the customs in the UK how much did she pay for the ring she was wearing. She told him something like 5 pounds. Later she sold the ring for a couple of thousand pounds and customs took her to court. The judge ruled she had declared it and if the customs did not believe her then they had the right to bring someone to value it. They didnt and the case was kicked out.

Just an FYI to search your person or in this case a purse they need a reason. I am sure customs already knows about people putting jewelry into their bra and purse!

How many women that have A 2,3 or 4 karat diamond ring declare it or even have A sales receipt when her fiancé bought it for her?

Isn't that the same for A 5 to 10 baht bracelet or neckleace.People don't declare this stuff.At least I've never heard of it.

I think that is the point. If you can convince them you have had the necklace for years, there should be no problem. However, if this is your first trip to Thailand and/or you just bought the gold here, you should pay a duty on it.

I have worn a four baht gold necklace with a jade Buddha pendant, sometimes with my 11 baht gold bracelet, and have done so for over 45 years, My wife often wears some of her gold while traveling. Neither one of us have ever been asked at customs.

Of course, if asked, our passports would show our frequent Asian travel.

Just an FYI to search your person or in this case a purse they need a reason. I am sure customs already knows about people putting jewelry into their bra and purse!

Putting jewelry in your purse should never be a problem for a woman--what are they supposed to do, wear it all. My wife always has jewelry in her purse when we travel--oh that's right, now I've told all the dweebs on TV who may rob her.

It should be illegal to take gold out of Thailand, or at least highly taxed.

Gold can be used to compensate for currency exchange losses, and it's not Thailand's duty to solve Farangs' economic crisis.

What a load of BS.