Marrying a 19 year old Cambodian girl in Thailand

hocuspocus

In answer to many of the replies, where have I stated that it is me that wants to marry a Cambodian girl. In my case I have just married a Thai girl and I am very happy with her. Also where have I stated that the Westerner is older than 50 years old. So now that we have got that out of the way can I please have some sensible answers to the questions I have asked.

Before you jump on the quality of the replies, consider the quality of your query.

Case in point RE your "clarification" .. can we agree that unless polygamy is the issue at hand, this sentence makes Zero Sense?

"I stated that it is me that wants to marry a Cambodian girl. In my case I have just married a Thai girl and I am very happy with her."

I have not clue one what that means...so do youreslf a favor...ask a good question before you expect a good answer.

Just married in Singapore, pretty easy, more easy then in Thailand (at least for me as a german). Just one of you need a 15+1 day stay over there, days, that's pretty much it, Passports of course but these u need anyway to travel...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

due to the fact that you can't marry a Cambodian girl of any age in Cambodia.

Foreigners can marry a Cambodian if they're under 50. They're only targeting old men

....Not true! One of my closest friends a Vietnam Vet married his Cambodian girlfriend (this month) last year....

He is collecting her this month and stopping off in Thailand before heading back home with his Cambodian wife....

• Haha 1

In answer to many of the replies, where have I stated that it is me that wants to marry a Cambodian girl. In my case I have just married a Thai girl and I am very happy with her. Also where have I stated that the Westerner is older than 50 years old. So now that we have got that out of the way can I please have some sensible answers to the questions I have asked.

Before you jump on the quality of the replies, consider the quality of your query.

Case in point RE your "clarification" .. can we agree that unless polygamy is the issue at hand, this sentence makes Zero Sense?

"I stated that it is me that wants to marry a Cambodian girl. In my case I have just married a Thai girl and I am very happy with her."

I have not clue one what that means...so do youreslf a favor...ask a good question before you expect a good answer.

Maybe, just maybe, if you included the whole sentence you would understand. Where have i stated......yep its a question, but he failed to end with a question mark.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

16 is legal in Cambodia. 18 is the age for a girl to legally prostitute herself (even if prostitution remains a crime - but hey, who said the law was logical?). However, marrying a 19 year old seems to show a lack of maturity on the part of the Western suitor. Given the emotional immaturity of the locals; it would still be like marrying a 10 year old...

If the questioner is under 50; there is no bar, except for salary, standing in his way of marrying a girl in Cambodia who is aged 16-21. If you aren't making $2k a month... you're probably not ready for marriage either.

However, the question of marriage only really applies (in Cambodia at least) if you want to export your girl from Cambodia to go somewhere else. If it's just for her parents/her peace of mind - they'll be happy with a ceremony at the local temple, as will the girl normally. The temple doesn't give a toss about marriage laws and will pretty much allow anyone to marry anyone (or in some cases anything) else.

At last the voice of experience (thanks) but after all the replies there does not appear to be anyone under the age of 50 years old who has married a Cambodian girl between the age of 16-21 years old, in Thailand. Case Closed !!!! unless I missed something.

In this situation where someone is marrying a foreign person outside their home country in SE Asia, I would strongly suggest that the suitor get the future wife's parents permission to marry, in writing, with an official translation into English, before proceeding. There are lots of cases of ladies misrepresenting their ages and themselves - do you wait until you meet the Homeland Security comedians or equivalent back in the home country before finding out that the passport she has is not hers (and her name is not what you thought?). Besides, the future couple may want to live in one or more SE Asian countries or in some Western country and in each the rules on trafficking, age of consent, age of marriage and other issues may differ.

It goes without saying that the future husband will have done his homework and research into the woman's background and family and has talked to trustworthy people before proceeding.

It would also be a good idea to hire a lawyer to ensure that the marriage is legal.

If all of this is too expensive or too much work, the prospective husband should ask himself whether he is really serious about the relationship. He needs to ask himself why he wants to get legally married (for residency? bringing future wife to his home country?). He can just get permission from the parents and marry in the Temple and see how that works for a few years before going the legal marriage route.

If ever the saying, "Proceed with haste and repent at leisure" were apt, it would be to this situation.

• Like 2

You may have got better responses had you explained that in your initial post.

Probably too late now.

Yes you should have started your post with

"A friend of mine wants to know"

• Like 1

Not again. The old "Friend Of Mine" story.

You may have got better responses had you explained that in your initial post.

Probably too late now.

Yes you should have started your post with

"A friend of mine wants to know"

Foreigners can marry a Cambodian if they're under 50. They're only targeting old men

so 49 is ok to marry an 18yo, but 50 isnt.Old at 50 but not at 49????

Its not ok for a 49 yo to marry a 16-19 yo anway

........Damn, if you are an American, British, Asszzie..........save yourself a lot of headaches and fly the little pumkin

to your own country and get married! Then return here!...........just make sure she doesn't watch any TV........You don't

want to Americanize, Britishize, or Azzienise her too quickly!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if he is less than 50, he can marry a cambodian, but not stay in thailand (no marriage visa, as no thai)

if he is over 50, cambodian law forbids to get marry, but he could stay in thailand, without marriage

ahumm... difficult choice?

Blatant age discrimination.

Maybe, but it is that country's sovereign right. Would you like them "meddling" in your country's affairs? whistling.gif

. But it appears that it is difficult to get a decent answer on this forum, yes there has been plenty of replies but not many constructive replies.

TAKE IT EASY buddy. This is TV forum. What did you expect, a legal forum?

• Like 1