Marrying a 19 year old Cambodian girl in Thailand

hocuspocus

Has any Westerner had experience of Marrying a Cambodian girl between the age of 16-21 in Thailand due to the fact that you can't marry a Cambodian girl of any age in Cambodia. If there is anyone out there who has done this, how difficult was it. Thanks in advance.

My GF is from Laos and like Cambodian there are laws about marrying foreigners. Marrying in Thailand is tricky as you need an Affirmation To Marry document which only Cambodia (or Laos in my case) can issue. If marrying is essential, try Hong Kong or anywhere that will marry foreigners without the Affirmation to Marry (e.g. the UK).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Cambodia itself any Farang over the age of 50 can not marry a Cambodian female (This info is not up to date, it may have changed over the years.)

But then Hokus-Pokus, why not do your Hokus-Pokus with a Thai-Female. Probably much less administrative Hokus-Pokus if the Cambo-Lady is in the possession of a passport & work-permit.

Easy Hokus-Pokus happens in Thailand. A bit harder in Cambodia and almost impossible in Laos.

Hokus-Pokus, do as I do: Do your Hocus-Pocus in Thailand instead of neighboring countries where the debate of the matter of "legal-age" of a female is still open to debate.

Cheers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My GF is from Laos and like Cambodian there are laws about marrying foreigners. Marrying in Thailand is tricky as you need an Affirmation To Marry document which only Cambodia (or Laos in my case) can issue. If marrying is essential, try Hong Kong or anywhere that will marry foreigners without the Affirmation to Marry (e.g. the UK).

To get married in Hong Kong you still have to prove you can legally get married, have parental permission for 16-21 year olds and if the Westerner has previously been married he/she still has to prove that they are legally divorced or widowed. But yes it may be easier to get married in Hong Kong.

In answer to many of the replies, where have I stated that it is me that wants to marry a Cambodian girl. In my case I have just married a Thai girl and I am very happy with her. Also where have I stated that the Westerner is older than 50 years old. So now that we have got that out of the way can I please have some sensible answers to the questions I have asked.

"...due to the fact that you can't marry a Cambodian girl of any age in Cambodia."

Sorry, mate. I think most of us were working under the impression that the law only applies to foreigners over the age of 50. Has it changed? No foreigners can marry a Khmer girl in Cambodia?

Foreigners must apply for official permission from the Cambodian government to marry a citizen of Cambodia. You must demonstrate to Cambodian officials that they are not currently married to anyone else - either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized - that your identity is proven, and that you have never committed any crimes in Cambodia. This is done by providing various documents including an Affidavit of Single Status to the Cambodian government either in Cambodia or via a Cambodian embassy.

Edited by fey

The law, now four years old, was aimed at stopping human trafficking and sham marriages. Early news stories mentioned the horrible experiences of Khmer girls marrying Koreans. They were abused or treated like slaves. But a law had to be aimed at all nationalities, and was especially aimed at older men. Read this link for an AFP report.

• Like 1

So you want to marry a 16 year old?...

The heading says 19 years old.

Read again...the OP (regardless of heading referring to 19) specifically said 16 to 21....

Incredible !!! I cannot believe this was actually posted, as it does imply a relationship with an under aged girl.

If 19...why say 16? 19 is legal...16 is not.

Why not just go ahead and gave her specific age? The ability to marry a 19 or 21 year old would most likely be no problem.

Mentioning girls from Cambodia 16 years of age, who are in Thailand, reeks of Trafficking.

Exactly SL.

FAIC it sounds suspicious.

Is the title a decoy and the truth in the op? Can't help but wonder. If I was planning on marrying a 19yo, why would I need to write 16yo in my op??

• Like 2

The law, now four years old, was aimed at stopping human trafficking and sham marriages. Early news stories mentioned the horrible experiences of Khmer girls marrying Koreans. They were abused or treated like slaves. But a law had to be aimed at all nationalities, and was especially aimed at older men. Read this link for an AFP report.

nah thats just for public consumption for the PC crowd. the law came into effect because khmer males are such pathological losers that no woman of any description would want to marry them. plus marring a foreigner was enabling some khmer women to evade the local human traffickers who are mostly NGOs and Khmer official types./army/police. the french NGOs being the worst and you will note AFP is french and doing the backup propaganda

For god sakes.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

due to the fact that you can't marry a Cambodian girl of any age in Cambodia.

Foreigners can marry a Cambodian if they're under 50. They're only targeting old men

if your under 50 u need to prove u earn in excess of $2,500/month

If she is under 18 you will need parental signed permission as well regardless of how old you are

You need the permission to marry from her sangket./local commune

and that needs to be notarized by the Cambodian embassy here in Thailand, BUT guess what they wont and will tell you to go to Cambodia where all the paperwork and such will cost you $600-2,000

Marry in Singapore, one of the persons to be married needs to have been there (proven by ur passport entry) at least 14 days

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

16 is legal in Cambodia. 18 is the age for a girl to legally prostitute herself (even if prostitution remains a crime - but hey, who said the law was logical?). However, marrying a 19 year old seems to show a lack of maturity on the part of the Western suitor. Given the emotional immaturity of the locals; it would still be like marrying a 10 year old...

If the questioner is under 50; there is no bar, except for salary, standing in his way of marrying a girl in Cambodia who is aged 16-21. If you aren't making $2k a month... you're probably not ready for marriage either.

However, the question of marriage only really applies (in Cambodia at least) if you want to export your girl from Cambodia to go somewhere else. If it's just for her parents/her peace of mind - they'll be happy with a ceremony at the local temple, as will the girl normally. The temple doesn't give a toss about marriage laws and will pretty much allow anyone to marry anyone (or in some cases anything) else.

At last the voice of experience (thanks) but after all the replies there does not appear to be anyone under the age of 50 years old who has married a Cambodian girl between the age of 16-21 years old, in Thailand. Case Closed !!!! unless I missed something.

16 is legal in Cambodia. 18 is the age for a girl to legally prostitute herself (even if prostitution remains a crime - but hey, who said the law was logical?). However, marrying a 19 year old seems to show a lack of maturity on the part of the Western suitor. Given the emotional immaturity of the locals; it would still be like marrying a 10 year old...

If the questioner is under 50; there is no bar, except for salary, standing in his way of marrying a girl in Cambodia who is aged 16-21. If you aren't making $2k a month... you're probably not ready for marriage either.

However, the question of marriage only really applies (in Cambodia at least) if you want to export your girl from Cambodia to go somewhere else. If it's just for her parents/her peace of mind - they'll be happy with a ceremony at the local temple, as will the girl normally. The temple doesn't give a toss about marriage laws and will pretty much allow anyone to marry anyone (or in some cases anything) else.

At last the voice of experience (thanks) but after all the replies there does not appear to be anyone under the age of 50 years old who has married a Cambodian girl between the age of 16-21 years old, in Thailand. Case Closed !!!! unless I missed something.

it is possible, and suggestions are given above, why do you need a report of a specific case?

asinine thread

• Like 2

As others have said, perfectly possible for a foreign man to marry a Cambodian woman in Cambodia as long as he is under the age of 50. But the paperwork takes time, involves 2 different Ministries, and there are requests for bribes. People seem to end up paying at least US $1,000, often more. I've heard of as much as $5,000.

To marry a Cambodian (or any other foreigner) in Thailand, possible but requires an Affadavit from the Embassy and reports are that the Cambodian Embassy is reluctant to provide these. (The man will also need such an Affadavit for himself from his Embassy, but with western countries not usually a problem to get).

I'm in the midst of researching this myself as my Cambodian niece and her British boyfriend will be getting married, both currently reside in Thailand (graduate students). They will travel to Cambodia for the ceremony but based on what we have learned about registering a marriage in Cambodia would prefer to do that part here in Thailand....quicker and far cheaper.

Regardless of whether done in Cambodia or (with affadavit from Cambodian Embassy) in Thailand, the legal acge for a woman is 18 years. There is provision for marriage below the age of 18 years only in special circumstances (e.g. pregnant) and with the consent of parents.

• Like 1

There is a real issue of Human Trafficking, especially this year. If a young girl (19 is young) is in Thailand...with a valid passport...then it may be possible. Why not just go to the Thai Embassy website? As you have already gathered, not many here have married a girl that young...especially from Cambodia. Clearly, there are specific requirements and documents that will be demanded, here in Thailand.

I suggest your friend go to Cambodia, and take her to his own Nation's consulate/embassy. Just get the info from the source. As i am gathering...she is 19, and not younger. If he works it this way, he can avoid scrutiny by Thailand Immigration, who may be suspicious of Marriages that occur here in Thailand between a Farang and a young lady from neighboring countries. In fact, they may direct your "friend" to marry her in Cambodia. What is the problem with doing that? It seems very straight forward.

Otherwise...I read in a previous post that it might be a good idea to do a Buddha Wedding, with family approval, and have the area headman present. Then submit the proper documents to the Cambodian Government. Once that is done, you could carry documents, along with her, to Thailand.

I see no problem, if he is on the level

Edited by slipperylobster

Thai immigration has nothing to do with it. You register a marriage at an amphur office. But will of course have to show passports with valid visas and both foreigners have to show Affadavits from their respective embassies stating they are eligible to getr married, and getting that from the Cambodian embassy may be difficult or impossible.

As I explained previously, it is far from straightforward to get married in Cambodia if one of the spouses is a foreigner. In fact I know couples who gave up in despair.

• Like 1

Thai immigration has nothing to do with it. You register a marriage at an amphur office. But will of course have to show passports with valid visas and both foreigners have to show Affadavits from their respective embassies stating they are eligible to getr married, and getting that from the Cambodian embassy may be difficult or impossible.

As I explained previously, it is far from straightforward to get married in Cambodia if one of the spouses is a foreigner. In fact I know couples who gave up in despair.

At least Laos doesn't have a upper age limit for foreigners to marry, but marrying a Laotian if you're a foreigner is equally complicated, tiresome and expensive. It doesn't help if you already have a child as you open yourself up to even more 'payments' as an offence has been committed.

Far easier is to get married somewhere like Hong Kong (or a western country) where affirmations are not required. It might not be seen as a legal marriage in Laos (or Cambodia) but you are legally married.