Smoking....a startling fact.

dotpoom

I have never smoked, thank God. Tried it on my youth, but it made my head spin, and even back then 50 plus years ago, there was enough evidence to make me think, why do I want to do this? Sure glad I didn't, because I think it is one of the hardest things in the world to give up. All those folks that have quit smoking, you have my greatest respect. To those who don't smoke, but are thinking of starting, don't, it's not cool, never has been.

General is not the place for this, Health maybe, but please do not cross post same articles.

MOVED to Health

OK Charlie, I guessed it wasn't the correct thing to do and I apologized in advance...I just felt that sometimes a person's health and possibly life can be more important than rules and regulations....... Again........ I apologize.

Edited by dotpoom

General is not the place for this, Health maybe, but please do not cross post same articles.

MOVED to Health

yes, smoking is healthy, not Thailand related.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's healthy...but I think it's related to everyone in Thailand....as well as all other countries.

• Like 1

well also these who don't smoke die.....no one can proof if someone died from smoking or would died anyway just a year later.

Now I understand the saying.................."Ignorance is Bliss"

• Like 2

well also these who don't smoke die.....no one can proof if someone died from smoking or would died anyway just a year later.

You are obviously a smoker and in denialwink.png

Well I quit 25 years ago, and while smoking is clearly not healthy, claiming it kills one in two smokers is a flat out lie.

To me, it is the stupidest drug possible. It does not make you high. You have to purposely become addicted in order to "enjoy" it. It makes you stink and annoys everyone around you and is very bad for your health. I know it was supposed to be "cool" back in the 1950s, but you would think that people would have woken up to what a con job it is by now. blink.png

• Like 1

Well I quit 25 years ago, and while smoking is clearly not healthy, claiming it kills one in two smokers is a flat out lie.

You are right, it is 2 out of 3: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/tobacco-kills-two-out-three-smokers

• Like 1

You are right, it is 2 out of 3: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/tobacco-kills-two-out-three-smokers

And drinking kills 8 out of 10, and global war...errr...climate change will no doubt get the rest.

Sp why are there so many old people smoking and drinking?

No doubt you googled and found a study to support you idiocy, but why not actually have a look at the study? Basically, they count every smoker not killed in a car crash as dying from smoking.

I consider this thread inappropriate. Health advice is best left to professionals not some random anonymous poster. Ignored.

What advice was that........prey tell me?.................. Reporting events and giving advice are two different things,

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

The above statement sometimes makes me wonder how people associated in the manufacture of this product, from the shareholders down, can sleep at night.

And yet no mention of how well the tax recipients sleep at night, one of which the speaker is.

Another f'n hypocrite.

I enjoy sitting down and having a beer and a smoke - especially when the rugby is on. But now I can't do either and I'm a bloody miserable. If that offends anyone, tough. It's the truth - I like a beer and a smoke.

But I also like the new, healthier me. :)

• Like 2

As they say...if just one person is encouraged to finally do something about their smoking as a result , it will have been well worth it.

Events indeed

Well, well, well, ................I stand corrected if the above is considered advice. When people's feathers are ruffled because somebody posts a reminder of how harmful smoking is......then possibly they have more things to be worrying about.

I suppose all those people who like to share about healthy food and overeating should also keep their opinions to themselves.

Wouldn't it be a sad old world if all of us were to care only about our own well being and not give a toss about others.

Maybe the pictures should also be put on Sugar, sweets and so on. ?? as Diabetes has the same affect.

on the other hand I know many that have died of cancer and never touched a Cigarette in there life. [personal: My Mother, her brother, her Sister, 2 Cousins all in there 40's]

again a guy died a couple of years ago he was a great person, died aged 98, smoked 60 a day all his life.

The above statement sometimes makes me wonder how people associated in the manufacture of this product, from the shareholders down, can sleep at night.

And yet no mention of how well the tax recipients sleep at night, one of which the speaker is.

Another f'n hypocrite.

I do believe all that tax is necessary for the upkeep of the health service ....which is being drained of it's resources from treating smoking related illnesses.

I enjoy sitting down and having a beer and a smoke - especially when the rugby is on. But now I can't do either and I'm a bloody miserable. If that offends anyone, tough. It's the truth - I like a beer and a smoke.

But I also like the new, healthier me. :)

It's a trade off.

• Like 1

I consider this thread inappropriate. Health advice is best left to professionals not some random anonymous poster. Ignored.

What advice was that........prey tell me?.................. Reporting events and giving advice are two different things,

It's pretty obvious if you read his post that he doesn't want people to smoke.

• Like 1

one wonders with all these Health Minister statements if all the people in the world stopped smoking = no more huge taxes being collected... smoking very bad for health

same with Petrol, if everyone stopped using = no more huge taxes being collected... carbon from exhaust very bad for health

Guess most Country in the world would go bankrupt ?

Just think if most people go to Hospital or die because of smoking, then would not need so many Hospitals or Drs or Staff. would you need a Health Minister ?

I quit a long time. But I am not one of these fanatics who want to change other people.

Being too fat is unhealthy

getting a sunburn is unhealthy

drinking too much is unhealthy

not exercise is unhealthy

risk sports (ski) are unhealthy

smoking is unhealthy

I am not doing any of it (maybe sometimes a sunburn), but I wouldn't want to live in a world were I someone controls what I am allowed to do.

one wonders with all these Health Minister statements if all the people in the world stopped smoking = no more huge taxes being collected... smoking very bad for health

same with Petrol, if everyone stopped using = no more huge taxes being collected... carbon from exhaust very bad for health

Guess most Country in the world would go bankrupt ?

Just think if most people go to Hospital or die because of smoking, then would not need so many Hospitals or Drs or Staff. would you need a Health Minister ?

Carbon (CO2) bad for the health?

It's pretty obvious if you read his post that he doesn't want people to smoke.

And you do?.........I make no apologies for what you observe as being the obvious in my post......... Are you sure you want to continue trying to defend the indefensible ........your comments are beginning to border on the ridicules.

I quit a long time. But I am not one of these fanatics who want to change other people.

Being too fat is unhealthy

getting a sunburn is unhealthy

drinking too much is unhealthy

not exercise is unhealthy

risk sports (ski) are unhealthy

smoking is unhealthy

I am not doing any of it (maybe sometimes a sunburn), but I wouldn't want to live in a world were I someone controls what I am allowed to do.

Sharing knowledge with people is not telling them what to do....it is always (except where he is incapable) up to the individual to decide what he chooses to do with that knowledge.

Edited by dotpoom