Paypal, experiences, special checks

I think you'll find that the automatic renewal has nothing to do with Paypal but more to do with T&C's of the software company you bought from.

One thing I find really unacceptable with Paypal is that if I sell something I am not allowed to charge the buyer the credit handling fee Paypal charges me. Yet if I use my credit card to pay for something such as hotels etc I am invariably charged a percentage fee on top by the vendor for credit card handling.

• Like 1

hello Sandman

Seems that you are in the know about my topic

Look yes I got my money back

But you have to understand how frustrating it is to get a computer reply to tell you do this do that stuff mate

Its not cool

I am assume you have a connection to Paypal.

If so tell them from me to get an email address to a human'

Why do we have to phone?

I had 10 days of upset. WAs only 92 bucks but they made it so difficult I had to persist.

Hey why should I send PM ...lets have it out here on the forum

Sandman77 is a Paypal executive?

• Like 1

Gerry I am not sure if you are on the same topic as me and the Paypal executive Sandman77

I thought this was a forum

Looks like Sandman has crept in to trick us. Why should I send PM??

Ok I am here again

Innerspace is another Paypal expert.

You are correct in some things but calling me wrong...hehe...is wrong.

I did go back to the original purchase order and reply email....and ...get this ....it didn't tell me they would auto renew.

You know this is so

Don't be telling untruths here or I'll bring up the original emails after purchase.

If I have to do that then I am into you, You too are a Paypal executive

• Like 1

It's up to you you send me a pm or not I got many pms in a week with specify questions!

Another scenario , what should happen when you have a automatic payment renew on paypal or on App Store, and you chancel or change your credit card?

Payment would fail , but I could imagine that paypal could begin set your account in minus , and force you to pay, german paypal very unfriendly often comes with inkasso company within last 10 years claiming the money back!

Iam not sure the do the same way here in thailand , in case off, not pay a open minus balance here in thailand when paypal it self is operating under Singapore law?

• Like 1

In my experience, I always get a renewal notice around two weeks before the renewal is charged from all of the companies (which I suppose I can't name.) In the case of a credit card expiring before the renewal date, I get a request to supply a valid credit card number. Charging you for an unauthorized renewal is indeed disputable. I very rarely use Pay Pal and instead pay directly by credit card. I have never had a credit card issuer refuse to refund a disputed charge. I think that the fact that all of the legitimate companies send me a renewal notice in advance speaks to the fact that unauthorized charges CAN be disputed successfully. Some unscruplous companies may try to trick you with unauthorized charges but these CAN be disputed successfully. BTW, be careful with Alibaba. Some of their merchants will charge you but not ship the item. The charges are refunded if you dispute them but it's a pain to do so. I select the merchant carefully if I buy from Alibaba.

Amazon do this with their Amazon Prime delivery service as well.

You agree to it thinking it's a one off, free next day delivery .

When you sign up for it, it's not made clear payments will be taken out at a later date, unless you cancel.

I've seen a few of these reoccurring payment in PP. Never had a problem with them see them, know about them, remove them. Buyer (PP user) beware. It seems anything goes on the Internet from "free" until you get to the shipping/packing charges to the miriad of get rich quick schemes for $x.xx that suck you in for more and more money later. Desperately in need of regulation to protect consumers. But don't take away our freedom of speech.

Paypal is NOT a global company, and they are therefore not subject to any single 'rules' of customer engagement - nor do they have a set of global company policies on customer egagement. Paypal in each region is essentially a 'franchise' and they each 'own' all customers in their own geographic region. Paypal in Thailand operates out of Singapore, and they are very different to Paypal in USA or AUS/NZ or Germany etc etc etc.

Some people are clearly referring to a different Paypal practice under different regulations, than Paypal in Thailand, when they are 'advising' the OP. I find Paypal in Thailand to be very 'deceptive' and IMO its business practicies would be stamped on in USA or AUS/NZ. Likewise, Sellers can be very deceptive (especially Alibaba as noted) and they will make their purchasing look like a one off payment, and the only way you can see that it is not, is to look very closely and critically at what they put in front of you.

And that is my advice to the OP (and others). Take the view that Paypal and ALL people and companies related to internet purchasing, are two-faced lying cheats - even if you think they are not. That way you will not get 'taken for a ride' so easily and will probably not get 'ripped off'. After a while of interacting this way, you will get better and better at spotting the scams and the thieves and the liars. And you will also stop thinking that everyone 'should' be nice and honest and fair (and talk to you). For those you do trust - verify - look for their mistake (they all make them).

The internet is new and dealing with it is like walking into the old Roman Forum (markets) when there were no 'consumer' laws to help you. The only thing you have is the sign on top of the entrance gate - Caveat Emptor. Which means - Buyer Beware (you are on your own if you enter here).

• Like 2

PS - I have a Paypal account here and another one back home, plus Google, Authorise.net, Clickbank - looking at Stripe.

I use each as appropriate, and I never allow any one to be more than $100 to be in credit.

I also have 'buying' accounts on Ebay (one here and one back home), Alibaba, Lazada, Amazon, etc etc - and again I use what is appropriate.

Never keep all your eggs in one basket - spread them around and if you do drop/lose one, then you can continue with the others (while all the kings men do their job).

Anyone else like that movie? Ooops - off topic - sorry :)

• Like 1

I am very familiar with paypal from all of merchant, customer and developers sides.

While I understand what you are saying and the frustration it caused you are 100% wrong in that you werent warned, you were. You may not have read the warning but it was displayed at the time of purchase.

Subscriptions will be clearly marked with the initial and future amounts which may be different.

Future payments is more risky with any amount able to deduct at any time, same as a direct debit. Only do to trustworthy companies.

Bottom line is read the itemised list of what you are approving before every purchase, same as you read the terms before signing a contract.

Probably written in small print or some sort of legal jargon to mislead people. I goes on all the time, even sometimes when you try to book a hotel room.

• Like 1

Ok I am here again

I did go back to the original purchase order and reply email....and ...get this ....it didn't tell me they would auto renew.

You know this is so

Don't be telling untruths here or I'll bring up the original emails after purchase.

Paypal is always best to be avoided, they messed me about something terrible when I tried to open a simple account.

• Like 1

No issues with paypal it's the software company that requires annual fees to keep the software legit,just like if you use avg business internet security etc

Now why you think i love the pb among others if it's there to be had get it cough cough.

• Like 1

I am very familiar with paypal from all of merchant, customer and developers sides.

While I understand what you are saying and the frustration it caused you are 100% wrong in that you werent warned, you were. You may not have read the warning but it was displayed at the time of purchase.

Subscriptions will be clearly marked with the initial and future amounts which may be different.

Future payments is more risky with any amount able to deduct at any time, same as a direct debit. Only do to trustworthy companies.

Bottom line is read the itemised list of what you are approving before every purchase, same as you read the terms before signing a contract.

Probably written in small print or some sort of legal jargon to mislead people. I goes on all the time, even sometimes when you try to book a hotel room.

And may not be in your first language.

Ok I am here again

You know this is so

Paypal is always best to be avoided, they messed me about something terrible when I tried to open a simple account.
Don't have a problem with them. Got shutdown twice. Once when hacked and reoccurring payment was placed on my account. PP caught it and froze me while they investigated. When unfreezing a short time later they apologized. Second time was accessing PP from Cambodia. That set of all the alarms for them and they froze account and requested ID. Sent them photo of my Thai DL and they unfroze saying that they wouldn't freeze again if I make regular visits there. All in all I find their customer service for Thai PP in Singapore excellent. Something the Thai service companies could learn from.

I have friends in US and NZ who get PP transactions in tens of thousands of dollars per year. They swear by it. Their general opinion is you'll only get trouble from PP if you give them trouble.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I think you'll find that the automatic renewal has nothing to do with Paypal but more to do with T&C's of the software company you bought from.

One thing I find really unacceptable with Paypal is that if I sell something I am not allowed to charge the buyer the credit handling fee Paypal charges me. Yet if I use my credit card to pay for something such as hotels etc I am invariably charged a percentage fee on top by the vendor for credit card handling.

You have to build this fee into your price, and I see many companies do exactly that. Some call it a "processing fee" and tack it onto the bill. Others just build it into the price without highlighting the fact.

So cover the expense in the sales price

Paypal is NOT a global company, and they are therefore not subject to any single 'rules' of customer engagement - nor do they have a set of global company policies on customer egagement. Paypal in each region is essentially a 'franchise' and they each 'own' all customers in their own geographic region. Paypal in Thailand operates out of Singapore, and they are very different to Paypal in USA or AUS/NZ or Germany etc etc etc.

Some people are clearly referring to a different Paypal practice under different regulations, than Paypal in Thailand, when they are 'advising' the OP. I find Paypal in Thailand to be very 'deceptive' and IMO its business practicies would be stamped on in USA or AUS/NZ. Likewise, Sellers can be very deceptive (especially Alibaba as noted) and they will make their purchasing look like a one off payment, and the only way you can see that it is not, is to look very closely and critically at what they put in front of you.

And that is my advice to the OP (and others). Take the view that Paypal and ALL people and companies related to internet purchasing, are two-faced lying cheats - even if you think they are not. That way you will not get 'taken for a ride' so easily and will probably not get 'ripped off'. After a while of interacting this way, you will get better and better at spotting the scams and the thieves and the liars. And you will also stop thinking that everyone 'should' be nice and honest and fair (and talk to you). For those you do trust - verify - look for their mistake (they all make them).

The internet is new and dealing with it is like walking into the old Roman Forum (markets) when there were no 'consumer' laws to help you. The only thing you have is the sign on top of the entrance gate - Caveat Emptor. Which means - Buyer Beware (you are on your own if you enter here).

Complete rubbish. Consumer rights are embraced by companies like PayPal simply because they have no choice. Most transactions are done via credit card and so it makes no difference that PayPal is simply the payment gateway, the consumer has the rights afforded by the credit card they paid with. This is why from November last year you now have 180 days to dispute a transaction in PayPal rather than the 45 days before. This brings it in line with most credit card companies. It is quite the opposite and i would say that businesses are at more risk doing business on line than the consumer.