Disabled Surfer Tells Story of Violent Beating by Thugs in Phuket

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-81900200-1425763716_thumb.

Frederik Aakerlund spends two months in Patong Hospital after vicious beating by 5 or 6 assailants that knocked him out of his wheelchair.

Disabled surfer Frederik Aakerlund reveals his story about Phuket thugs that left him beaten and laying on the ground. The Denmark native was wounded in 2007 during military service. The veteran’s injuries required both of his legs to be amputated.

Along the beaches of Patong, Frederik was attacked. Early in the morning, the professional disabled surfer was crossing the street in his wheelchair before five or six assailants began pushing his wheelchair back and forth. He recalls asking the youths to stop, fearing for his safety.

One of the attackers became irate and pushed Frederik’s wheelchair, causing him to fall to the ground. The man began to kick the surfer while he was on the ground. Money from his bag was also stolen at the time. After the attack, bystanders came to his aid and helped him back into his wheelchair.

The surfer recalls the fear he felt, stating that he didn’t seek immediate medical attention out of fear that the assailants would return. Three days after the attack, he entered the hospital for treatment. He left the Patong Hospital on Friday after two months of treatment.

Hopes of going to the world championship in May have been put on hold for Frederick. Initially in Phuket to help disabled and blind children enter the water, police told him that they will never catch the perpetrators.

Frederick was in Thailand after the 2004 tsunami to help recover bodies with the Danish military.

Thailand has not been all bad. Frederick states that a lot of people in Thailand have been very welcoming and have even helped him across the street. The assailants have not deterred him from his goal of helping disabled Thai children enter the water without fear. He plans to let his wounds heal and teach children to surf.

Frederik Aakerlund is the only disabled, professional surfer in the world.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-07

If he could wait 3 days before going to hospital, and if the only help he needed at the time was to get up off the ground, why was he hospitalised for 2 months? Something in the back of my minds says that he may have suffered another set of injuries after the mugging and that the mugging wasn't all that violent. Another done-over-by-a-ladyboy story?

Sad that the bystanders waited until after the thugs had gone before they helped. I can't comprehend it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Given that 90% of the population have phones with cameras, its a shame non of the bystanders who refused to help him physically couldn't at least take a picture of the assailants

Where does it say:

- Nobody wanted to help him?

In fact the article mentions that bystanders helped him back to his wheelchair.

- Nobody took any photos. How do you know that, maybe there were photos but just not mentioned in this article.

• Like 1

How on earth have you came up with a ladyboy story from that?

I didn't. That's why I used a question mark.

I'm putting it out there that there may be more to this...and violent ladyboy is one possibility for a scenario where someone sustains injuries but doesn't want to tell anyone how he got them.

It just doesn't make sense that the only help he needed after the mugging was to get back in his chair and the injuries were such that he didn't need to seek treatment, but 3 days later he as injuries that required a 2 month hospital stay.

It's obvious that you don't know anyone who must use a wheelchair.

One of the major issues that we face is skin breakdown, which can become a pressure sore if left untreated. Any skin abrasion or bruise can develop into an issue over a couple of days, which then necessitates being off that area for weeks or months until the skin heals. Particularly problematic if an infection develops. Hospitalisation for a couple of months implies that the damage done was caught early - he could have been in for much longer.

And the poster above who has never had a pressure sore is in for a treat when he eventually gets one.

Edited by mirthseeker
  • Like 2

Of course I could be wrong, and of course there are possible innocent explanations....it's just that the story smells.

Another thing is the 5-6 thugs.....it's odd. I can believe one loathsome idiot doing it, but in a group, surely the majority would hold the one arrresole back? The majority of people just don't do that sort of thing.

Also, the guy is ex-military, a wheelchair rider and a legless surfer; He would have arms like a pro wrestler and the grip of superman.

I also find it hard to believe that onlookers did nothing until the thug left, and that the thugs did it in front of locals.

• Like 2

Of course I could be wrong, and of course there are possible innocent explanations....it's just that the story smells.

Another thing is the 5-6 thugs.....it's odd. I can believe one loathsome idiot doing it, but in a group, surely the majority would hold the one arrresole back? The majority of people just don't do that sort of thing.

Also, the guy is ex-military, a wheelchair rider and a legless surfer; He would have arms like a pro wrestler and the grip of superman.

I also find it hard to believe that onlookers did nothing until the thug left, and that the thugs did it in front of locals.

Yep, your wrong chap.......

• Like 2

I'm putting it out there that there may be more to this...and violent ladyboy is one possibility for a scenario where someone sustains injuries but doesn't want to tell anyone how he got them.

It just doesn't make sense that the only help he needed after the mugging was to get back in his chair and the injuries were such that he didn't need to seek treatment, but 3 days later he as injuries that required a 2 month hospital stay.

Very sad but bizarre story. If this guy was injured and concerned about his health, surely he would have gone to the hospital immediately after said incident? The only individuals that don't go to the hospital when they're in danger are either doing so out of religious reason like "we don't trust doctors" or because they are hypochondriacs who don't want the hospital or the doctors to reveal some kind of illness, which they may or may not have. However, even the most concerned hypochondriac would probably go to a hospital if they're injured as logically bad wounds won't just heal by themselves.

Things that you can't believe:

1. 5-6 Thais ganging up on 1 farang.

2. Thugs doing it in front of onlookers.

3. Onlookers doing nothing.

You're right in saying that "The majority of people just don't do that sort of thing." Well presumably these people (hopefully) don't represent the majority of people in Thailand.

They represent the savage, brutal, uncontrolled, conscienceless minority that feature so often in the media.

You know, the sort of people that spray buses with bullets because the kids on board come from a different school. Or the sort of peole who will go 6 onto a woman because she owes them a few baht. Or the sort of people who will unload a mag into a bar because they've "lost face".

And the ladyboy thing? crazy.gif

Edited by Enoon

It just doesn't make sense that the only help he needed after the mugging was to get back in his chair and the injuries were such that he didn't need to seek treatment, but 3 days later he as injuries that required a 2 month hospital stay.[/quote

Another possibility is that he was the victim of a isolated freak sharknado. I'm putting it out there...

Just a remark countering the mindless speculation above.

It's quite possible during a beating to sustain internal injuries to vital internal organs, such as the kidneys or liver, and to not fully realize the impact of those injuries (for example, reduced liver or kidney function) for several days. Perhaps also, the victim had slow internal bleeding, or an infection that took several days to develop.

All of these possibilities do not require the introduction of a violent ladyboy into the scenario. rolleyes.gif

Then why did he make an excuse of why he didn't go to the hospital at first?

" stating that he didn’t seek immediate medical attention out of fear that the assailants would return. Three days after the attack, he entered the hospital for treatment"

Dodgy excuse.

Things that you can't believe:

1. 5-6 Thais ganging up on 1 farang.

2. Thugs doing it in front of onlookers.

3. Onlookers doing nothing.

You're right in saying that "The majority of people just don't do that sort of thing." Well presumably these people (hopefully) don't represent the majority of people in Thailand.

They represent the savage, brutal, uncontrolled, conscienceless minority that feature so often in the media.

You know, the sort of people that spray buses with bullets because the kids on board come from a different school. Or the sort of peole who will go 6 onto a woman because she owes them a few baht. Or the sort of people who will unload a mag into a bar because they've "lost face".

And the ladyboy thing? crazy.gif

And now we have deduced the assailants were Thai? Case solved.

Just a remark countering the mindless speculation above.

It's quite possible during a beating to sustain internal injuries to vital internal organs, such as the kidneys or liver, and to not fully realize the impact of those injuries (for example, reduced liver or kidney function) for several days. Perhaps also, the victim had slow internal bleeding, or an infection that took several days to develop.

All of these possibilities do not require the introduction of a violent ladyboy into the scenario. rolleyes.gif

Then why did he make an excuse of why he didn't go to the hospital at first?

" stating that he didn’t seek immediate medical attention out of fear that the assailants would return. Three days after the attack, he entered the hospital for treatment"

Dodgy excuse.

Not really..........In LOS we farangs must keep out of things cos there is no law to take care of us until it is tooooooo late.

I am old but fully functional, also a Thai Tourist Police volunteer, connections, BUT, if 5/6 guys feeerk with me I know I can do nothing, and yeh, I have two legs.........