The ultimate bum gun thread

bino

I replaced all in our house after breaking with American Standard, brushed stainless steel with steel valve lever. I guess they will last long. It's a bit modern design, works perfect and no comments from the boss too.

attachicon.gifBumGun.jpg

I also have this type of bum gun, and have found it to be the best. It's made by VRH (a Thai company, I believe) and cost about 1000 Baht when I bought it a year or so ago. I bought two, in fact, to bring back to Europe with me, as in the past I've found (the cheaper) bum guns to have a limited lifespan, but the original is still as good as new and the other one is still in its unopened packaging.

This is the model:

http://www.vrh.co.th/product_detail.aspx?p_id=890&language=en

And their website is here:

http://www.vrh.co.th/product_series.aspx?cat_id=1&language=en

They do all types of taps, showers and accessories in stainless steel, and all in nice designs. A bit more expensive than the usual run of the mill, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

I'm not a plumber so I'll ask.

What special (plumbing) thing needs to be done in order to have one of these installed in UK?

Does it have to be inspected (like everything else)?

Visitors have fallen in love with them!

Don't know about the UK, but in Australia installation is technically illegal due to a cross-contamination issue. Although how you get contamination to travel backwards against flow through about a metre of piping.... hey, it's Australian bureaucracy at work.

The ones with stainless steel nozzle and flexible hose appear to be better quality.

It's a sobering thought - there are whole Western nations wandering around with <deleted> in various unhygienic conditions, simply because of a myth toilet paper alone is sufficient.

• Like 1

This is so intriguing. My downstairs bathroom is way too strong and my upstairs bathroom barely dribbles out. I can't seem to fix either one.

Water is like a human it gets tired if it has to run uphill. Downstairs do like the other chap put in a pressure valve.

Uninstall it. Thais don't know how's to use it. First they gonna makes the floor and seat wet. Secondly they anyways gonna use the paper to wipe it dry. And that's if you are lucky to have relatives and visitors wiping the seat after themselves.

Edited by sead

uptheos, on 08 Mar 2015 - 15:17, said:

I'm not a plumber so I'll ask.

What special (plumbing) thing needs to be done in order to have one of these installed in UK?

Does it have to be inspected (like everything else)?

Visitors have fallen in love with them!

No they don't have to be inspected. It's no different to installing an extra tap.

Tee of the incoming water supply for the toilet flush.

It's a standard fitting for many Asians in the UK.

install a ball valve between the outlet in the wall and the hose..

Then you can regulate pressure. High pressure for cleaning the bathroom and low pressure for attending to personal hygiene.

Also handy if you have a hand piece failure to shut off the water at the wall.

post-92327-0-57020000-1425812874_thumb.j

• Like 1

Love the bum gun since we moved to Thailand. The wife hasn't embraced it yet though. I use to work at Sanctuary Cove on the Gold Coast in Oz, and there a lot of houses were owned by Japanese and they would all have the million $ toilets fitted with the flash inbuilt bum guns. I could never figure it out but now I realize what they were. I also worked in an offshore detention centre in PNG, and a few of the boys use to take the 2 litre water containers to the toilet with them. Now I know what that is all about. There is a such a diverse cultural difference, even going for number twos. I'm all over this bum gun thing now and when I eventually move back to Oz, it will be the first thing installed...

It is self cleaning, efficient, eliminates skid marks, helps heal sensitive bums and is a more health choice than toilet paper...use paper to wipe off excessive water...not to clean your bum...

I have installed them in all my homes around the world.

Now the idea of wiping my bottom with my hand just

revolts me,, when i leave Thailand i always take a few

with me, always have extras just in case.

I would agree wiping with hand is revolting, the rest of us use paper.

Been going to Thailand for about 36 years and still never used one, cos I am not sure how. We need a You-tube video explaining all the ins and outs, pros and cons and dangers or joys of using them.

Edited by gawaterman

First time I saw the 'bum gun' was in the toilets in various airports at the UAE. Then I saw them in Thailand. I know that Muslim people are supposed to wash after toilet,a very good tradition/custom of course, hence the gun. I am not sure if it is a Thai custom as well or they install them in order to serve the all important and loaded people from the petroleum states of the arab world. I do not remember seeing them in Europe, though.

my question really is, is this implement a necessary part of the average Thai household bathroom?

in pretty much every bathroom barring, annoyingly, 5 star hotels

• Like 1

Been going to Thailand for about 36 years and still never used one, cos I am not sure how. We need a You-tube video explaining all the ins and outs, pros and cons and dangers or joys of using them.

sorry mate, but it is not exactly rocket science. if you haven't figured it out yet i suspect it is beyond you.

• Like 1

just aim and pull the trigger.if you really need help just search you tube pretty sure it's there